Print Page | Close Window

Tournament square

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Strategies, Guides & Help
Forum Name: Technical Support
Forum Description: Post your technical support related questions here.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=7003
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 18:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tournament square
Posted By: kodabear
Subject: Tournament square
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 02:31
I am planning on doing another Tournament in about 6 months. And get asked a lot if there is anyway to change the current king of hill Tournament square and my answer to that question is always the same. code speaking its really really really really easy. (for the Tournament code i have right now) but the main problem with new sqs is only something the devs can do because how the sqs are working. NAP and confed are meaningless.

SO my question is there anyway for you guys to create another algorithm  that picks new sqs? 

Replies:
Posted By: Jadefae
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 03:10
Give me a N
N
Give me an E
E
Give me a W
What does that spell?
NEW squares......
hmmm not quite right but you get the picture I am totally for this ideaClap

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 03:14
I think that having squares that change makes sense, but the question then would how frequently should the squares be changed?  Once a month? Once every few months?

If the squares do change pretty frequently, that does limit the problem one could have with changing the squares, which is that since you can't claim sovereignty on tournament squares having one pop up very close to one's city can be inconvenient due to sov limitations.

I do think that if the squares are changed on a regular basis, the timing of the change should be known so that players who wish to use them in a tournament can plan the tournament around the change -- for example, sometimes one might want to have an entire tournament on one set of squares, while in other instances one would want the squares to change partway through.

If this proposal is just to change all the existing squares once, I don't see the point of that, because people would just do the same thing they are doing now, move cities close to the new squares.  Of course, it would be nice to be able to get that extra sov square nearer Utopia, so I wouldn't have a strong objection to it, even if only for that.

Having squares change regularly would be good not only because of the problem of people putting cities near tournament squares but because it would potentially allow regional squares to be contested on a variety of terrains.  It would be really nice to fight in Tamarin and Qarosslan and Laoshin on something other than hills and plains!  Although we do have a lot of those ...

Posted By: Dravin the Sloth
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 06:11
hmm, seems an idea, doesn't it?

the current squares, i believe, were chosen based upon their location at the center of each region.  which seems a fair approach.  my question would be, what sort of criteria, other than different, would go into the choosing of new squares?

Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 06:14
would it need to be more difficult than a random, passable square in the region not currently occupied, settled or sov'd?

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 06:45
nah, probably not.  i can live with random as an answer to that question.

Posted By: Starry
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 14:14
I love the idea of changing squares, Koda.   You are awesome!

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 14:33
Originally posted by Dravin the Sloth Dravin the Sloth wrote:

the current squares, i believe, were chosen based upon their location at the center of each region.  which seems a fair approach.  my question would be, what sort of criteria, other than different, would go into the choosing of new squares?
This is the crux of the question.  koda?

SC

Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 21:16
I would go with semi random.

It has to be a square that an army is allowed to land on.
Also, not a city square.
Not within X squares of the territory border.
or not within X squares of another tourney square.  Either of those.
Possibly not in any sov claim.

Posted By: wackturk
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 21:23
I would think you could make it very simple.  Current location and terrain is known to all.  Some have moved closer to these squares in order to have a strategic advantage on that square, they have also prepared their cities to produce the best troops for that terrain.  So, the simple answer is, don't worry about the Center of a region, anywhere in a region would favor one player over another at this point.  But if you made the code pick them at random on an interval and rotate the terrain at random also.  When the new squares are announced, players and alliances would need to determine which ones are closest, to those participating, which terrain type best suits their set ups, and this would create a more level playing field for those players and alliances that are not camped out next to the squares today.  It would also bring into question whether moving their cities to a more strategic position is worth it if the square could change in 3 months or 6 months or whatever random frequency.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 21:42
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Originally posted by Dravin the Sloth Dravin the Sloth wrote:

This is the crux of the question.  koda?

SC
As long it has somewhat balanced terrain i am fine with anything

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 22:08
Originally posted by wackturk wackturk wrote:

I would think you could make it very simple.  Current location and terrain is known to all.  Some have moved closer to these squares in order to have a strategic advantage on that square, they have also prepared their cities to produce the best troops for that terrain.  So, the simple answer is, don't worry about the Center of a region, anywhere in a region would favor one player over another at this point.  But if you made the code pick them at random on an interval and rotate the terrain at random also.  When the new squares are announced, players and alliances would need to determine which ones are closest, to those participating, which terrain type best suits their set ups, and this would create a more level playing field for those players and alliances that are not camped out next to the squares today.  It would also bring into question whether moving their cities to a more strategic position is worth it if the square could change in 3 months or 6 months or whatever random frequency.

+1 I agree with Wackturk Smile

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 22:28
If we implement this, we'd certainly apply practical rules to the square choice (not a town, not a sov'ed square, not impassable terrain etc).

3 questions though:

1. Would 6 months be about the right length of time before a square moved?

2. We can try and force a balance of combat terrain types... however, how should that balance be allocated? There are a number of options:

a) Based on the current ratios of square terrain across the two continents?  
b) Based on the region ratio (ie a mountainous region will be much more likely to pick a mountainous square)
c) Based on a fixed ratio (eg 8 Small Hills, 8 Plains, 8 Large Forests etc)
d) Just randomly pick the square in each region, which will - over time - be most likely to match b) but will also be more likely to throw up random weirdnesses

3. If we did (eg) 6 months, we'd pick eg 1st Jan and 1st Jul and let those dates be known in advance.  I think that'd also allow players to run tournaments that straddled the change - to shake things up half way through a tournament.  Does that work?

Regards,

SC

EDIT: Added a third question

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 22:44
Thanks SC

These are my personal preferences, still waiting to hear from the members

1.   Six months is good
2.   Yes, on balanced combat terrain, I'd prefer a balanced approach, probably option c.
3.    Dates sound good

One other question, is there anyway to prevent players from moving cities within a 5-10 square radius of the tourney square (except where one already exists)?   Having cities moved around the tourney square is insane.   I realize that people will move cities close to the tourney squares but at least the city won't be clustered around the square.

Thanks SC, appreciate this dialogue.

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 22:47
Before I get to answering these questions.  Back when you added the BL square you said that you were going to have a XML list for import so i am wondering if you guys are willing to create the XML for Tournament square? It will make it easier for the coding to update the databases/coding for Tournament.

Also will the changing of the Tournament sqs effect the limited API key?

Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 23:00
I had assumed the squares would change at the start of a tournament.

Every X months is better than it is now but still not as random/fair as I would prefer.

Posted By: Mr Damage
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 23:41
My preference would be the squares change once a tournament is announced. The make up of terrain I am not fussed about.

Posted By: DeathDealer89
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 23:47
It could be to many squares but why not 1 square of each terrain in each region?

Posted By: Benedetti
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2016 at 23:51
1) 6 months would be fine. I don't see tournaments happen more often then that anyway?

2) I don't see a point for option c. Sure, there might be 8 plains squares in Elgea, but that means nothing if you happen to be in the west and all those squares are in the east. The more random the better (I love to see a plains tournament square in a province that is all mountains, with towns that are all geared to mountain combat :D ), I think, so I'd go for option a) *if* the total of all squares in illy more or less even out between the different terrain types. If there are far more mountains, or plains, or whatever, that would not give the best random result.

3) brilliant!

Originally posted by Starry Starry wrote:

One other question, is there anyway to prevent players from moving cities within a 5-10 square radius of the tourney square (except where one already exists)?

NO! Please. Keep in mind that we're not talking about the duration of a tournament, but for the whole time (6 months) a square is designated as a tournament square. I think it's unfair and unwanted to block a serious area off from city building if a tournament square happens to land right in the middle of an area an alliance or player is looking to develop. By the same reasoning, new tournament squares have to stay *well* away from existing cities, so as not to restrict them in developing sov in the 6 months the square is a tournament square.

(edit: Unless, ofc, the limited city placing and ignoring of NAP/Confed is turned on/off at start/end of a tournament)

Posted By: wherditgo
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 00:00
1) yes
2) mixture of c and d fixed ratios with at least some degree of randomness
3) yes

Posted By: Wintersmith
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 00:04
Originally posted by Starry Starry wrote:

One other question, is there anyway to prevent players from moving cities within a 5-10 square radius of the tourney square (except where one already exists)? 

You could render a move close to a square fruitless by using a point system which is derived from  (distance/racial constant) x Time on square. The further traveled the more points for occupation awarded. I believe the information is already available in the API to do this.

Posted By: DeathDealer89
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 00:07
Why not go back to the undead type tournament.  Where there are a large number of random sq's that spawn throughout the day.  Only I would have the undead both defend and attack the sq's.  

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 00:49
Originally posted by DeathDealer89 DeathDealer89 wrote:

Why not go back to the undead type tournament.  Where there are a large number of random sq's that spawn throughout the day.  Only I would have the undead both defend and attack the sq's.  
Hi deathdealer,

This thread is very much about changes to tournament square allocations - that the player-run tournaments could also take advantage of.  It's not a by-necessity-dev-run-tournament suggestions thread.

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 01:03
Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

Before I get to answering these questions.  Back when you added the BL square you said that you were going to have a XML list for import so i am wondering if you guys are willing to create the XML for Tournament square? It will make it easier for the coding to update the databases/coding for Tournament.
We can provide a tournament square list xml file very easily, and simply issue a new one each time the squares move.  Not a problem.

Also will the changing of the Tournament sqs effect the limited API key?
Right now, development on the limited API key has finished, just short of the finish line.  

You've made it clear - for reasons I *entirely* understand - that you're not willing to run a tournament using the limited API key; and until someone else who has the coding skills and wherewithal to run a tournament pipes up and says "I want to use the limited API key", there's literally zero point in us completing development on it.  I'm all for developing new things, but if - literally, in this case - they have no possible use-case-scenario, then it's a waste of everyone's time!

Originally posted by Lagavulin Lagavulin wrote:

I had assumed the squares would change at the start of a tournament.

Every X months is better than it is now but still not as random/fair as I would prefer.

Originally posted by Mr Damage Mr Damage wrote:

My preference would be the squares change once a tournament is announced.

Um... It's just as flexible and random/fair if we do it on a schedule every 6 months, no?

Want a snap tournament that prevents people from taking advantage of city location?  
Announce the tournament whenever you like, but have it start on 01JAN or 01JUL, so the squares are unknown until the moment the tournament starts.  Same outcome:  no one knows the squares until the day of the tournament.

Want a more interesting tournament where the snowglobe gets shaken halfway through?  Run the tournament from mid-DEC to mid-JAN...

Want to run a typical tournament, where people can stock up/move cities to take advantage of a known square?  Run it halfway through the rotation period (eg May).

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 01:54
Every six months is probably often enough, although I wouldn't mind seeing it happen a little more often, such as every three months.  That might encourage multiple different players or alliances to sponsor tournaments.  I guess it depends on 1) how hard it is to generate new tournament squares and 2) whether anyone can think of a downside to having it happen every three months.

In terms of terrain, I can see the argument for having random terrains (which would naturally tend to feature a terrain type more common in the area -- such as unfortunately plains and hills in my "home" area of Laoshin and Tamarin).  But I'm wondering if this results in the most "fun" or competitive tournament if competition is taking place across a whole continent or two whole continents.  Alliances tend to be somewhat geographically focused, and this would mean that alliances in some general areas would have a long-term disadvantage in tournaments.  Is this the most "fun" way to do it?  Or should there be something that pushes square selection toward a variety of squares in any particular region, essentially making the last 1-2 terrain types somewhat less likely to be picked, for example?

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 02:31
I'd like to see a little variety in the terrain type for each region square. Although eCrow is optimized for the Laoshin plains square, it gets tedious to defend the same square using the same techniques every single tournament.

I feel less strongly about the locations themselves actually moving. I'd probably be happy to just see the terrain for the squares change.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 02:48

I am good with it being 6 months

2. We can try and force a balance of combat terrain types... however, how should that balance be allocated? There are a number of options:

b) Based on the region ratio (ie a mountainous region will be much more likely to pick a mountainous square)
d) Just randomly pick the square in each region, which will - over time - be most likely to match b) but will also be more likely to throw up random weirdnesses
imo i like C the best. It would be the most fair but D would be alot of fun

3. If we did (eg) 6 months, we'd pick eg 1st Jan and 1st Jul and let those dates be known in advance.  I think that'd also allow players to run tournaments that straddled the change - to shake things up half way through a tournament.  Does that work?

This also works for me. makes the most sense if you were going to do a  6 month thing.

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 03:07
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Every six months is probably often enough, although I wouldn't mind seeing it happen a little more often, such as every three months.  That might encourage multiple different players or alliances to sponsor tournaments.  I guess it depends on 1) how hard it is to generate new tournament squares and 2) whether anyone can think of a downside to having it happen every three months.
Once the code is written (which really won't take long to do), it could run hourly for all the server cares!

My only slight concern is that I'm mindful of those players who wish to create a temporary base around a tournament square.  I've always slightly thought that people who are willing to forego all the potential benefits of picking the perfect city location (for sov etc) and/or (with moving tournament squares) exodus a city in favour of a temporary advantage over tournament location should be commended for their dedication.

If that's not particularly an issue between choosing either 6 months or 3 months, then I'd personally pick 3.

Best,

SC

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2016 at 08:05
1. six months seems fine, but so do other options, provided they are longer than a month, the reason for which will come in the answer to 3.

i've no need, nor desire, to see balance in terrain type distribution, let the predominate terrain of the  region dictate. 

2. D. random would be best, i think, and as it would end in resembling B, that would still allow for some assumptions to be made on how to prepare for battle in that region, while maintaining a certain risk in doing so.  

3.  i think i might very much like the idea of a tourney straddling a change, but the option should remain for tourneys that do not, making it less than a month untenable.  

P.S.  Brandmeister made a good point, though, so i am of two minds.  would it be possible to add weight to the lesser terrains in Laoshin, to follow Brand's example.  Lao is overwhelmingly plains, perhaps a little extra weight could be given to the less represented terrains to increase, even if marginally, the odds of them popping up?  

Posted By: Lord Stanley
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2016 at 21:11

I think 6 mo would be fine. Plenty of options and considering how much work these are to rune, I think it's unlikely that we'll have one much more frequently then every 6mo.

I think randomly random with one hard and fast rule. No landing on sov.

Cool idea.

As a sister idea to enhance the game square. I think Assissins should be allowed to function on any tournery sq, BUT only if the idea of random squares is implemented and they change periodically. (If the squares are staying stationary, I think it is much too big of an advanatge to someone who moved their city close to wipe out all the defending commanders)

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2016 at 03:06

Once the code is written (which really won't take long to do), it could run hourly for all the server cares!

My only slight concern is that I'm mindful of those players who wish to create a temporary base around a tournament square.  I've always slightly thought that people who are willing to forego all the potential benefits of picking the perfect city location (for sov etc) and/or (with moving tournament squares) exodus a city in favour of a temporary advantage over tournament location should be commended for their dedication.

If that's not particularly an issue between choosing either 6 months or 3 months, then I'd personally pick 3.

Best,

SC

I think 3 months better then 6 month. either way works for me. as far as people who like moving near Tournament sqs i would like them to post there idea here if they truly care about it.  Thank you for looking into this for us. I do have a large question. for my last Tournament you guys made it where you cant leave your alliance if you have troops on the Tournament sqs will you guys do that again when i run my next one even though the sqs have changed? 

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 04:57
Any news on this?

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 03:21

Any news on this?
Hey Koda,

3 month rotation, random within each region, is going to happen.

As to the first rotation start date; rather up-to-you tbh.  If you're not far away from running another player  tournament, then let me know whether eg 01JAN or 01FEB suits best as the start date for the rotation.

Best,

SC

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 03:23
Oh, and:

...for my last Tournament you guys made it where you cant leave your alliance if you have troops on the Tournament sqs will you guys do that again when i run my next one even though the sqs have changed? 
Yes, the ban on leaving/kicking alliances will carry through with the square rotation.

Best,

SC

Date Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 03:37
Thanks SC! That's great news!  Going to make tournaments fun in the future.

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 02:11
any news on this?

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 20:31

Any news on this?
Hey Koda,

3 month rotation, random within each region, is going to happen.

As to the first rotation start date; rather up-to-you tbh.  If you're not far away from running another player  tournament, then let me know whether eg 01JAN or 01FEB suits best as the start date for the rotation.

Best,

SC
Doesn't matter to me. my start date is right when the sq change.  during the next sq change. (may or apr

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 19:32
I suggest that squares change when the seasons change:  Dec 1, March 1, June 1, September 1.  That will make it easy for people to remember as it will track with an existing game mechanic.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 19:38

I suggest that squares change when the seasons change:  Dec 1, March 1, June 1, September 1.  That will make it easy for people to remember as it will track with an existing game mechanic.

This would mess up my plans for the next Tournament

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 19:50
I planned to start my Tournament the 2nd of May or April. (i need one day to change the sqs in the database) and I will also be doing the Tournament during the second time the sq change which by doing it by the season will mean June which will run into my holiday plans and many others so I won't start it then. which will push the Tournament to next march as I can't run it in Dec too. for the same reason i cant run it in June.

Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 01:07
Koda, I can't thank you enough for all the hard work you put into these tourneys and how well they are run.   I know everyone in Harmless are very excited about another tourney.   You're the BEST!   :)

(PS can't you use Bear magic to change the squares?)

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Posted By: Mr Damage
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 04:37
+1 Starry, Grey might be a small alliance without the possibility of winning anything but its still fun to participate.

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2017 at 20:56
[19:37] GM Stormcrow @Gollimar - kk, tyvm. Just wondering what dates he had planned for the next player tournie; so we can fit the rotational tournament squares devwork in

answer

I planned to start my Tournament the 2nd of May or April. (i need one day to change the sqs in the database) (whenever you guys do the whole sq change thing. April is when I am hoping to do it but I am able to do it during may. it will just cut things a little close.

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 14:57
Thanks koda,

OK, heads up to all.

The regional tournament squares will randomly relocate, within their region, on the following dates:
  • 01APR
  • 01JUL
  • 01OCT
  • 01JAN
There will be a few rules applied to the (otherwise) random relocation at the point of choosing:
  • It won't be on a pre-existing town
  • It won't be a sovereign square
  • It won't have an army on it
  • It won't have NPCs on it
  • It won't be a "special" NPC square/spawn point/mystery square etc
Cheers,

SC

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2017 at 15:05
Will you be adding an XML thing that shows the tournament square?

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 10:22
[09:22]<Kodabear> ***announcement*** I will be doing another tournament at the start of the new year (IE January 1st)

Posted By: Hucbold
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 16:18
Request to devs: Given the current state of Illy politics, when you next randomly move the squares, let there be NO squares in BL and double up the number of squares in Elgea. That should nicely accelerate the segregation of Illy into farmers and warmongers!

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 18:55
Do not worry. I hear the warmongers are coming to Elgea soon to get you and others like you

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2017 at 19:19
Originally posted by Gragnog Gragnog wrote:

Do not worry. I hear the warmongers are coming to Elgea soon to get you and others like you

That'll save me exoing my remaining cities. It's very tedious

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 03:48
Originally posted by Hucbold Hucbold wrote:

Request to devs: Given the current state of Illy politics, when you next randomly move the squares, let there be NO squares in BL and double up the number of squares in Elgea. That should nicely accelerate the segregation of Illy into farmers and warmongers!

I am 100% against this idea as it will make finding out who are the winners of the regions a lot more annoying.  And I was also the one who wanted BL to have squares in the first place. As I stated at the first of the other one even if there is a server war going on I will still do the Tournament so the current state of Illy politics is completely meaningless for me.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 12:14
Zero out of ten koda for not being able to spot a troll!

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 14:49
Do not worry Koda. Rumour has it that the warmongers from BL will noob ring that specific troll in the near future

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 14:53
Originally posted by Gragnog Gragnog wrote:

Do not worry Koda. Rumour has it that the warmongers from BL will noob ring that specific troll in the near future

lmao. personally, I couldn't care less by a half-baked trolling attempt.

Posted By: Count Rupert
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 04:01
What might be relevant is why the scheduled change in tournament squares on July 1st didn't happen and whether future scheduled changes will.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 15:51
Originally posted by Count Rupert Count Rupert wrote:

What might be relevant is why the scheduled change in tournament squares on July 1st didn't happen and whether future scheduled changes will.

I hadn't even noticed they haven't changed thanks for pointing that out. What is up with this devs?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net