Print Page | Close Window

Tourney prizes delayed to a bunch of wind

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=6983
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 09:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tourney prizes delayed to a bunch of wind
Posted By: GM Rikoo
Subject: Tourney prizes delayed to a bunch of wind
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 22:50
Seriously, some of the team are stuck in a hurricane zone and need to get settled before they can pass the prizes out. We are aware of the delay and are sorry for it.

If it helps, the person who would be handing the prizes out is now living in a land of munchkins and red slippers.

GMR

-------------
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk

Replies:
Posted By: willd elff
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 23:22
Kansas!

Posted By: kodabear
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 00:25
do people still have to wait in there alliances until the prizes have been given out or can they leave to go back to there old alliances? 

Posted By: Bill Cipher
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 03:26
It shouldn't matter.They can easily tell what alliance you were in during the Tourney.And I wouldn't think thiere would be any troubles with giving you your prizes,and medal(s)

-------------
d-a-r-o-r-w-o pb wlph kdv frph wr exuq. l lqyrnh wkh dqflhqw srzhu wkdw l pdb uhwxuq

Date Posted: 08 Oct 2016 at 03:36
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/tourney-prizes-award-dates_topic5615.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/tourney-prizes-award-dates_topic5615.html

Originally posted by GM Rikoo GM Rikoo wrote:

For those who have asked (and there have been many) we are still waiting for many of you to switch alliances before we finalize a master list of winners. Remember, we have quite a few awards to give out! We want to get them out ASAP, but we also want to avoid players who write us soon after and say "Can you move this here instead?" Within the time I wrote this I received 2 more IGMs, asking me about a person leaving an alliance. 

We will let you know ASAP. Please pass on!

GM Rikoo

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 04:32
Hi everyone,

It's been a bit windy down here on the Florida Atlantic coastline, but all is good and we're now getting back on track.  I'll be sorting out the medals, award and prizes in the next couple of days.

Just to make clear, it's absolutely fine if players leave alliances after the tournament has finished.  After the last one we ran (where GM Rikoo absolutely correctly said that players should stay in their old alliance - at that point in time)... since that tournament, we now record the alliance that the player was in at the time the combat occurred.

So please feel free to leave the alliance that you are in, you'll still get credit for any winning participation in the tournament.

Best,

SC

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 09:42
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Hi everyone,

It's been a bit windy down here on the Florida Atlantic coastline, but all is good and we're now getting back on track.  I'll be sorting out the medals, award and prizes in the next couple of days.

Just to make clear, it's absolutely fine if players leave alliances after the tournament has finished.  After the last one we ran (where GM Rikoo absolutely correctly said that players should stay in their old alliance - at that point in time)... since that tournament, we now record the alliance that the player was in at the time the combat occurred.

So please feel free to leave the alliance that you are in, you'll still get credit for any winning participation in the tournament.

Best,

SC
Does this mean that players who change alliances in middle of the Tournament could get prizes for every sq that alliance they were in during the Tournament  as long they took part in combat when they were in the alliance that won the sq? (like how the storm player moved to nCrow could they et prizes for the sqs that nCrow and storm won.)

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 00:32
Originally posted by kodabear kodabear wrote:

Does this mean that players who change alliances in middle of the Tournament could get prizes for every sq that alliance they were in during the Tournament  as long they took part in combat when they were in the alliance that won the sq? (like how the storm player moved to nCrow could they et prizes for the sqs that nCrow and storm won.)
Yes, that player will get prizes for both alliances (so long as they participated in the combats on the squares), and is not prohibited in the ruleset for this tournament (even if such behaviour is not necessarily entirely in the spirit of a tournament!)l

We may look - if/when we run a tournament in the future - at taking an alliance membership snapshot at the start, and applying 'original' alliance memberships to participants.  But not this time, because we didn't say that in advance.

Best,

SC

EDIT: Removed typo

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 01:09

Yes, that player will get prizes for both alliances (so long as they participated in the combats on the squares), and is not prohibited in the ruleset for this tournament (even if such behaviour is not necessarily entirely in the spirit of a tournament!)l

We may look - if/when we run a tournament in the future - at taking an alliance membership snapshot at the start, and applying 'original' alliance memberships to participants.  But not this time, because we didn't say that in advance.

Best,

SC

EDIT: Removed typo

well that's disappointing but not shocking. One issue I do see with taking a snapshot at the start is that you guys even less then a day notice and people do need time to find out if there alliance is taking part and to find new alliances if they aren't taking part. Maybe a snapshot  48 hours in will be better. In Tournament I based the prizes on what alliance people were in at the end of the Tournament.

Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 01:23
Why not just whoever ends in the alliance?

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 01:25

well that's disappointing but not shocking. One issue I do see with taking a snapshot at the start is that you guys even less then a day notice and people do need time to find out if there alliance is taking part and to find new alliances if they aren't taking part. Maybe a snapshot  48 hours in will be better. In Tournament I based the prizes on what alliance people were in at the end of the Tournament.
Yes; if/when we do run a tournament again we'll discuss these ideas in advance with you guys, so we can get a feel for the playerbase thoughtscape. (And yes, I do use those Orwellian management-speak words under advisement)

Best,

SC

Posted By: Benedetti
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 01:44
I think it makes far more sense to only reward prices based on where people end a tournament, especially given the extremely short advance notice that already favours people in ehh ... "later" time zones. It will also keep people involved more even after getting a regional win, and then there's people who are off for a few days to consider.

I see no way to use a snapshot at the start that will not lead to people giving up on a tournament (either right from the start or during) or very complex procedures to change allegiance. With a decreasing playerbase, I think having people feel left out should be the last thing to aim for.

Posted By: Mr Damage
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 07:03
Delay them as long as you want for all we care.

Posted By: TomBombadil
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 09:33
So, you guys are telling me that I could have spent a week in nCrow, a week in VTX, a week in vCrows, and that would have gotten me the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd global prize and every single regional prize of each alliance due to my swiftsteeds being able to reach anywhere on the map within a week?

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 14:21
Sure.

Players come up with all kinds of creative ways to interpret the rules we set out.

I don't believe this kind of 'gaming the rules' is in the spirit of an Alliance tournament, and when/if we run another tournament we may look at ways of prohibiting or mitigating this kind of activity through additional rules.  

However, I also don't believe that we should retrospectively change the tournament rules as they were originally set out, as I don't think that's fair either.

SC

Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 15:13
That seems fair to me SC.  And regardless of anything else we had a wonderful time with this tournament I absolutely hope you guys do another one in the not too distant future.

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 15:14
Easiest way, the alliance you are in at the end of tournament is the one you recieve prizes for. Can expand that by putting min time of half tournament durration plus one day being the factor.

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Posted By: Captain Kindly
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2016 at 20:40
Originally posted by Gragnog Gragnog wrote:

Easiest way, the alliance you are in at the end of tournament is the one you recieve prizes for. Can expand that by putting min time of half tournament durration plus one day being the factor.

But only when you participated in fighting for that alliance for the spot you are on, afaic...

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/60249" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Duran
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 19:52
ORRR, No more King of the Hill tourney's :D and something DIFFERENT!

-------------
"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Posted By: Mr Damage
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 06:38
I have no issue with people pimping themselves around different alliances to gain rewards in each. If they dont change the rules for the next one them I might just become a lady of the night myself Evil Smile

P.S Agree with Duran, mix it up a little.

Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 19:09
Originally posted by TomBombadil TomBombadil wrote:

So, you guys are telling me that I could have spent a week in nCrow, a week in VTX, a week in vCrows, and that would have gotten me the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd global prize and every single regional prize of each alliance due to my swiftsteeds being able to reach anywhere on the map within a week?
these seem like the tournament rules Josh would design.  ;)

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 22:00
Prizes have now been distributed to all the Overall and the Regional Winners.

Congratulations, again, to everyone who participated - and especially to those who won medals.

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 22:04
Heh, despite extensive debugging some of the emails sent out (the non-medal congratulations ones) by the Tinkers misidentify the winning alliances.  It's just a display issue and is nothing to worry about.  The right people got the awards.

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 22:47
And now fixed in the emails as well. Apologies for that.

Regards,

SC

Posted By: Fiona
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 03:42
SC,
   Thank you for handing out the prizes. They are awesome. 
However, I noticed that GATE did not receive the medals for the Oarmanly square. As we also won that one as well. Unless I am mistaken. 
Thank you 
Fiona.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 04:10
Originally posted by Fiona Fiona wrote:

SC,
   Thank you for handing out the prizes. They are awesome. 
However, I noticed that GATE did not receive the medals for the Oarmanly square. As we also won that one as well. Unless I am mistaken. 
Thank you 
Fiona.
Hi Fiona,

I do, indeed, show GATE as winning the Oarmanly square, and the 11 members of the alliance who participated in combats on that square were given medals and prizes.

Any issues, however, please do let me know.

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 04:17
SC, 
I only have a communication concerning the Fella square, not Oarmanly. 
Is there something I can do to show proof?
Fiona.

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 04:19
Uh Nevermind Sir, I just realized, I never sent troops to that square....My apologizes 

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 04:37
Originally posted by Fiona Fiona wrote:

Uh Nevermind Sir, I just realized, I never sent troops to that square....My apologizes 
nvm Fiona - it genuinely happens to us all!

Best,

SC

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 17:14

Yes; if/when we do run a tournament again we'll discuss these ideas in advance with you guys, so we can get a feel for the playerbase thoughtscape. (And yes, I do use those Orwellian management-speak words under advisement)

Best,

SC

IF you guys were to do another Tournament it would be great if it was a Tournament that is very hard if not impossible for us to do like the undead one since we the players can run King of the hill or hunting Tournament pretty easy.  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net