Forum Description: For everything related to the Elgea Continent
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=6307
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 10:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Fortress of Shadows
Posted By: Dragon Disciple
Subject: The Fortress of Shadows
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 10:45
I was going through up solved mysteries when one caught my eye: the fortress of shadows. It is located at [599|-342] in Zanpur.

There was an original forum post the 11th of Jan 2013 with some information about different diplomatic units sent there:

"I have sent 125 spys and 50 assassins to the coords and these are the messages:

Spys:
Your diplomatic mission from 1. Forretress arrives at [599|-342] in Zanpur.
Your Spies cannot gain entry to the silent fortress. The doors remain barred to them; none will speak to them; they can find no other way in.
However, asking a few subtle questions in the surrounding area, they hear rumours of cloaked assassins riding out from the fortress, carrying death in the name of the god Ten Kulch. They also hear of a few select people being granted admission
How does one get in? "Only the closest allies of the Hashashin may enter. If you are not amongst their allies, you should be pleased: to be allies of the Hasashin is to lose your souls to Ten Kulch!"
Unable to glean any further information, your diplomatic mission is now heading home.

Assassins:
Your diplomatic mission from 1. Forretress arrives at [599|-342] in Zanpur.
Your diplomats cannot gain entry to the silent fortress.
The doors remain barred to them; none will speak to them - and they can find no other way in.
Your diplomatic mission is heading home."

Within the same forum post, information was giving on the Ten Kulch faction:

"From the journal of Saxil of Tundale, diplomat in service of the Council of Illyria.
Of all the cultures that I have seen, it is only the Hashishin that has truly terrified me.
In Kajadum, I stood before the Great Sage - their nameless master - to seek the return of some prisoners. I had been sent by the Council of Illyria, because the Lannigolds had appealed for the Council's aid.
Naturally we were inclined to assist this powerful house, as valued allies and loyal subjects of His Majesty. It did not occur to me until I arrived that the Lannigolds had simply been too scared to confront the Great Sage themselves.
For years, Lannigold subjects had been the victims of kidnap by the Hashishin. Now, a trade caravan, including a young nephew of the Lannigold patriarch himself, had been seized. The Lannigolds wanted their people returned, and especially their young kinsman.
I met with the Great Sage in his audience chamber. It was a sparse room, the least impressive chamber in which I have ever met a great leader. It had no carpet, no drapes, no works of art, only a great glowering idol of their fanged god, Ten Kulch. The idol, as their custom demanded, was caked with blood, some still damp, in which it is bathed each dawn. I did not ask what sort of blood it was, nor where it came from.
The Great Sage sat cross-legged on the bare floor, a thin, grey-haired man with a quiet smile and a soft voice. I explained that His Majesty, King Sigurd, requested the return of the Lannigolds. I was tact incarnate: I threatened without being threatening, begged without being obsequious, was humble without acknowledging inferiority. The old man smiled and nodded as I spoke, picked at a bowl of sugared almonds, and watched birds feed from crumbs that he scattered on his windowsill.
After a while he called for a servant. He told her, "This man has come to take you away from the loving embrace of Ten Kulch. If he takes you back to the Lannigolds, you will never again feel the breath of your god, and when you die you will not sit at His side in paradise.”
Tears welled in the woman's eyes, and without a word she drew a dagger from her belt and plunged it into her own chest. She fell to the floor, coughing up her life's blood, dying slowly, crying and smiling as she did so. I begged the Sage to save her, to call for a physician. He smiled softly and asked if I would care for a sugared almond.
When she lay still, he called for another servant, and spoke again, "This man has come to take you away from Ten Kulch..." That servant, too, killed himself, and when the Sage called for a third servant I begged him to stop.
"So you withdraw your request? Very well. By coincidence, I can foretell that two of your own followers will chose to stay here, in the embrace of Ten Kulch. The great god has lost two servants today, and will take compensation."
I blustered that he could not take my entourage, but I was pale and felt nauseous, and did not make a convincing argument. He brushed off my objection:
"I take nothing. They will give themselves joyfully. They will choose to stay of their own accord, freely, out of love for Ten Kulch. Any who feel his breath cannot help but love him. Perhaps, one day, you too will know his love?"
He sat there, smiling softly, while the blood of his dead servants oozed across the floor to pool around his feet and legs.
True to the Sage's prophecy, two of my followers announced, the next morning, that they had chosen to stay at Kajadum. I left swiftly, and a week later, organized the kidnap of the young Lannigold, to return him to his kin. I shouldn't have bothered. The day that the youth was returned to his family he denied his house and his heritage, and the following day he killed himself.
Any who are taken by Ten Kulch are forever the thralls of this bloody god.
All of the other cultures that I have dealt with, the Orcs and Gnolls, the cold serpentine races and many murderous greenskins, they might threaten me, torture me, beat me, defile me, kill me. These thoughts do not delight me. But only the Hashishin can take my mind. Only the followers of Ten Kulch can steal my soul."

This story is linked to a herald post about the Lannigolds:

"After the discovery of the body of the young prince, Aimeri Lannigold, his family have denied that the youth hanged himself.
"It is true that he was found hanging in his room," the family Steward remarked, "but we know who was to blame. Strangers were here, and have now fled back to their infernal stronghold, the Fortress of Shadows..."

Edited by GM Stormcrow - 15 Jul 2011 at 21:41"

The Lannigolds are one of the most powerful factions of Illyria, according to their description, which is quite long with no real information so I will not post it.

Now, onto the theory:

The Lannigold boy either committed suicide or was killed.

If he were to have been murdered:
The boy saw something, or experienced something, that the inhabitants of the fortress didn't want to leak. They sent assassins (as we know from the description of the faction, they have many that exit and entry frequently) to kill him.
Is there a way to send a unit that can tell us what happened to the Lannigolds? People have maybe been looking at this the wrong way. If we can trace back the assassins (if there are any), we might find some clues.

If he committed suicide:
The Lannigold family wants to cover it up, blaming "strangers", to save their image -after all, a suicide implies an illness of mind or depression.
However, this means the boy's mind could still have been tainted, meaning the influence of the fortress extends to quite a length.
Remind anybody of anything? Yes, the beating heart, Audrey. Troops sent there disappear, and return, evil, controlled by another force. A shred of supporting evidence is the use of the word "infernal" when the steward describes the fortress.

However, both of these theories use evidence from a 2013 post several years after the beginning of the mystery. SOMETHING must be noticeable from the original posts, right?
So I looked over the faction description again, and something caught my eye: the boy gets kidnapped, or stolen. People have sent spies and assassins, but no one has tried thieves. Maybe a lead?

P.S. I put the locations of both Audrey and The Fortress on the strategic map... They encompass quite a large area, with one side walled of due to the sea, and another due to the noob circle. If aggressive factions came from both locations, moving towards each other, it would be a huge geographical advantage, trapping the players. Plus, it wouldn't affect the new players, situated higher up.

But... What if it had already happened, the first team Audrey started beating? I'll just leave that there, I couldn't find any other evidence.

Now, could anyone be willing to help? I think sending diplomats once again (of all kinds) might work, both to the fortress and the Lannigolds "home" (I'm assuming main hub). Also, if anyone finds any information on either the murder or the fortress, please post it here.

We will solve this!!

Replies:
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:13

Having just gotten into the forums, I found the topic on the gypsy fortune teller. This post will simply be my analysis of what is said, if it where in relation to the Hashinshin and Ten Kulch:

"The gypsy fortune-teller tells your Assassins:
"I often tell my clients that they will meet a tall dark stranger.

I hope that isn’t you. I wouldn’t want them to have to meet you in a dark alleyway.

In any case… I see that a long journey might beckon you, but you should not expect it to succeed; there is much to be learned from the servants of an old man, but I foresee that his followers will not yet teach you their secrets.""

The first two lines seem unimportant. Words to get you enticed.

However, the next ones are more providing, in terms of information:

"I see that a long journey might beckon you, but you should not expect it to succeed."
Note, in the previous comment, that the assassin has no success went being sent to the fortress. Nada. Nil. Nothing. However, the fortress is towards the south west of Elgea- Quite a far distance for many locations on the map, especially the centre.

"There is much to be learned from the servants of the old man,"
The Great Sage, leader of the Ten Kulch, is described as "a thin, grey haired man, with a quiet smile and soft voice." These characteristics are often associated with the elderly. His "servants" could be one of two: actual servants, as the ones described in the faction description of the Ten Kulch, or assassins.
We have no way of knowing if their assassins are more skilled than others, but we can assume they have at least a degree of success if the boy was murdered. So, the gypsy might have been talking to the assassins, telling them they could learn skills at that location.
If they are servants in the true sense of the word, (note: the same word is used explicitly over and over in the faction description) there truly IS much to learn from them. Something big. After all, they are somehow rendered completely engulfed my some type of deity or belief, or power.

"But I foresee that his followers will not yet tell you their secrets"
This seems pretty clear. Be it for assassins or players, nothing could be learned from it. Yet. That is the most important factor: the temporal structure of the mystery. This means that, unlike many other mysteries given off, this one perhaps could not have been solved until a future time (additionally, it makes sense in a marketing style to keep the players occupied with an unsolvable riddle whilst coming up with new ones) From what I can collect, the gypsy told this in 2012- After the mystery had started, but before the Lannigold prince died, according to GM Rikoo's post.
I am almost persuaded that we must find something from the death of the boy to progress.

P.S. This already gives us enough information to start supposing what rewards we will find. We will learn something- either to help in the future or as an upgrade for our assassins.
However, this is 100% THEORY. I do not have the diplomatic units yet to move forward in discovering. So please help! I also may be completely wrong- propose a counter thesis if you think of one. Let's finish this mystery once and for all!

P.P.S. Notice, the heart stopped beating, and the Fotress of Shadows is unclaimed.. A link between the two?!

We will solve this!!

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 12:53
The Lannigold boy commits suicide because Ten Kulch steals his soul, and he is "rescued" by being kidnapping away from the Hashashin. The fortune teller link has been noted elsewhere on these forums regarding assassins. For the history of Ten Kulch and the other human gods, read the faction descriptions for Wen Kun Dynasty, Forbidden Kingdom, and the related factions.

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 14:16
Thank you for your comment, Brandmeister.

First, let us address what you said about the Lannigold boy's death. After your message, I immediately went back through my documents, and, low and behold, noticed something: at the end of the description of the faction of the Hashinshin, it says the boy first "Renounced his house and heritage" before killing himself.

So, I to catch a trace on why the Lannigolds would deny the boy's suicide if it were truly one, and why the story they come up with seems so fitting for a murder.

Obviously as mentioned in the above text, it could be to hide the dishonor. But if that were the case, why let it be published by the author of the faction description, who is a diplomat for the Council of Illyria, who is obviously going to spread the word?
It doesn't seem to make sense. Why would the boy wait a night to suicide?
Therefore, it is just as indecisive as before. However, thank you for making me look over that aspect once again.

As for your post on the assassins being linked to the fortress, I haven't been on the forums very long, so I hadn't seen it. My apologies if I happened to plagiarize.

Now for the interesting bit: after you linked me to the other two factions, I noticed something in one of their descriptions. Towards the middle of the description of the Forbidden Empire (underneath) it mentions of the Ten Kulch were banished "Far to the south" in the desert.

Could this be linked to the thieves, finding something among the sand of great wealth yet great danger? (As mentioned in the gypsy fortune teller forum)

P.S. Something else I noticed.. The Undying Flame also contains, in its faction descriptions:

"Your daily existence is founded on the shifting and tortured sands of a great untruth, and you would be wise to shake the scales from your eyes before you are entirely crushed under a malicious yoke of falsehood and injustice."
A reference to sands, torture.. Sounds pretty explicitly related to the thieves.
Maybe each line for each diplomat is related to a different mystery? I'll look into this.
(Audrey, Hashinshin, Undying Flame.. All in corners of Elgea. Anything top right?)

P.P.S. I read you telling demdigs about three faction hubs in the desert. Could I have their locations?

Extract from Faction Description of the Forbidden Empire:

"He avowed that each God may have their own area and Race of men to follow them. To Zao Kesh, he gave the Plains of Keshalia and the Horse Nation of Tipu Khan. To Taolin Vu, he allocated the mighty Mountains of Taomist and the mountain men of Kanchalka. He banished Ten Kulch to perform his bloody rites in his desert fastness of Kajadum, far to the South and named his followers the Hashashin. Tamarinda Laka did not wait to be given a land or people. She retreated to the distant mountains of Tamarin, far to the North, with her warrior monks, the Tien Zao, to the fastnesses they had prepared in advance. For himself, Lao Te Shin kept the most fertile valleys of Laoshin, the breadbasket of the world, upon which to build his great cities. These cities were to be known as the Forbidden Empire. He curtly told Wen Babo that he deserved no land, but could be worshipped in taverns and other houses of ill repute. "

We will solve this!!

Posted By: demdigs
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 14:39
torture could imply assassins as well

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 15:44
Whilst it is true that the word torture strongly evokes pain, and in many cases death, assassins are not known for long, drawn out tasks. They are trained to appear, strike, and evade, disappearing. At least, it is the case in the large majority of works of fiction, so it could be assumed it is the case in Illyria (the references to real events, beliefs, or myths is quite prominent), and the lore is usually accurate.

When I said it clearly referred to thieves, I was discussing the answer of the gypsy fortune teller when they were sent to her:

"The gypsy fortune-teller tells your Thieves: "Beware what lurks beneath the desert sands, for though there is treasure there it is also well guarded.""

We know the treasure is well guarded. Let us think on the different locations:
-The Fortress of Shadows: We know this is in the desert. We do not know which treasure there is (I read a rumor the gypsy works for the fortress.. Maybe the "treasure" is unlocking the mind and body to the god? A bit far fetched...) but I believe there is one, as there is "much to learn", like she said to the assassins.
We also know that, as mentioned in the faction description, "only the Hashishin can take my mind. Only the followers of Ten Kulch can steal my soul." While we don't know if the process is torturous, we do know they are somehow persuaded or controlled, to an extent that it utterly wipes out their discipline. It must be a painful process, at least while the person in question resists.

-The Undying Flame: I don't have much information on the Undying Flame, only that the old, "mad", king (as depicted in the story on the front page of the herald at the present time) and his troops are harbored there. It could be assumed there are quite a few treasures following him, though I do not know if they torture.
If anyone could post a comment clearing my doubts on that point, it would be welcome.

However, I am pushing for the fact that they are all related: it is mentioned the Undying Flame is a growing threat to the players and the king, as is the heart Audrey, whilst the Hashinshin is more of a threat in lore.

Now, all three have a manner of controlling minds, persuading them somehow. Audrey steals your heart, The Hashinshin steal your soul, the Undying Flame steals your people, one at a time. (Not 100% true, just sounded cool)
Maybe all these evil forces are operating as pawns from an outer, bigger force?

I still haven't found a "villain" in the top right, but I will keep looking.

P.S. Please, I am a low level player, so I do not have much to work with. Contact me if you want to help, or join the guild I'm in (Night Shadows) - they're great!

P.P.S. What, I had to do a little propaganda, no?

I tend to rabble on, don't I?

We will solve this!!

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 19:39
The Fortress of Shadows is in the desert? It appears to be in an area of mountains and hills.

The three unusual hubs are Khafkar, Nessim, and one in the far west whose name escapes me at the moment. I wrote a very detailed post in the map experiment graveyard thread.

Posted By: Count Rupert
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 00:05
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

The Fortress of Shadows is in the desert? It appears to be in an area of mountains and hills.

The three unusual hubs are Khafkar, Nessim, and one in the far west whose name escapes me at the moment. I wrote a very detailed post in the map experiment graveyard thread.

Jarru?

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 01:21
While the fortress of shadows itself is in the terrain you described, the Hashinshin live in the desert, as it is clearly stated in the description of the Forbidden Kingdom you linked me too:

"He banished Ten Kulch to perform his bloody rites in his desert fastness of Kajadum, far to the South and named his followers the Hashashin."

I do not have the prestige to zoom out enough to be able to encompass both the Fortress of Shadows and the central hub of the Hashinshin. If somebody currently has the potential to do this, could they take a screenshot and post a link, also of the area surrounding the fortress, or of Kajadum?
It's a small gift for one who has already bought the map upgrade...

Thank you for naming the hubs. If someone knows a forum where it states the answers to diplomatic envoys in each hub, could you link it? This mystery is getting more interesting by the minute.
If not, is someone willing to aid me by doing so and sending me the results? I've seen almost every type of help be provided by the Illyriad community, but not help in mysteries. Who's willing to change that?

We will solve this!!

Posted By: Sirius
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 08:52
Originally posted by Count Rupert Count Rupert wrote:

Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

Jarru?

It is interesting that those three hubs, Khafkar, Nessim and Jarru, are some of the few hubs players are offered to send diplomatic, harvest and army missions to. They're not the only ones though, I think, there are others that offer harvesting (not all). And anyway you can always send missions by manually entering the URL: http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Diplomatic/Orders/XXX/YYY

I'm not sure there's a lot to find in all that though. A lot of experiments have already been conducted and their results lay under layers of dust in various sections of the forum, and we still don't know how many mysteries there actually are. But it's always worth trying of course.

From what I got it seems to me that when you manage to send military/harvesting/diplomatic units to a trade hub, the hub is treated like an empty square and nothing happens. It could just be a game mistake and perhaps those units should not be able to get there at all. Or perhaps there's something to be found. I don't know if there have been systematic research on that.

Anyway here is a scout report I got some time ago of a trade hub (the only interesting report I got from such an experiment):

Subject: FW: Scout Mission to Square [-146|241] in Norweld Completely Successful!
Received: 19 Nov 2014 09:21
Original Message:
Operation From: Ground station Sirius [StA]
Operation Against: Square [-146|241] in Norweld  
Operation Type: Scout
Operation Outcome: Completely Successful!

Mission Report:
Your diplomatic mission was undetected and completed the objective! Your units are on their way home, safe and sound.

Information Gathered:

Troop levels present, foreign reinforcements:

Type: Unit: Quantity:
NPC's forces from NPC Location
Army: Seelie Court    
Division: Barrier Unforcement from the Seelie Court    
Troops: Moonclad Archers Moonclad Archers 1
Troops: Moonclad Archers Moonclad Archers 49
Troops: Moonclad Archers Moonclad Archers 37

Posted By: IbnSenna
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 09:46
Season/Moon/Day phases should be considered when sending diplo/trade missions to these places, if I read correctly the hints in Seelie/UnSeelie faction stories…

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 19:23
If you guys run more experiments, I would politely request that you record the results on the forums for posterity.

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 21:41
1 What race were the 50 assassins?
2 What level were the 50 assassins?
3 Did the city from which they were sent have all diplomatic research complete?

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 21:42
4 Did the city from which the assassins were sent have an Assassin's Abode?

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 00:25
5 Did asassins from that town already succesfully kill one or more enemy commanders?

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 08:09
I sent 1800 assassins to the fortress. this was the message i received: 

Your diplomats cannot gain entry to the silent fortress. 

The doors remain barred to them; none will speak to them - and they can find no other way in. 

Your diplomatic mission is heading home.

1: doesn't really make sense imo, because i don't think there's specific race quests, but the diplomats were human
2: makes even less sense. if you mean level consulate that's 20, but i have no idea how i could level diplomats
3: all diplo research is done in that town
4: there's assassins abode (lv14)
5: the assassins have allready killed dozens of commanders in the past

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 12:38
level = t1 or t2 assassins

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 15:31
ofcourse. was t2

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 17:39
Nice to see everyone getting involved. Thanks to all!

IbnSenna, Greenhorn (and/or others)- do you have any more details about the particular season or day? Or the phase of the moon, for that matter... (I did read in the faction description of the Unseelie Court that the light of the first moon is referenced too.. What is the opposite of that on the calendar? Could someone send diplomats on both those times?)

I doubt the Year is important in the mystery, as it wouldn't seem fair to people who had joined after the release of it not to be able to complete it. However, this is a possibility, but let's hope not.

Greenhorn, your previous post indicates your troops were sent in mid-November 2014. I was not playing at the time, but do any of you golden oldies know what season that was?

Dungshoveleuh: Thanks for bringing up these questions. While they may seem obvious to some players, others might find it difficult to understand. However Corwin has done a great job in answering them, so thank you both.
One issue I disagree with in Corwin's comment, however, is about the races.
The races are something very intriguing in Illyrial lore: they keep intertwining, yet remain separate and distinct enough from each other to be disassociated.
For example, in the description of the Wen Kun Dynasty (I believe), the dwarf author keeps assuming all the constructions and architectural structures are dwarven, though the inhabitants ensure they are humans. In one out of two faction descriptions, a reference to different races is made, and all factions have different levels of friendship towards every race.
Therefore I believe races are a very important part of the story- mysteries included. If my assumption is correct, in my previous comment, of all "evil forces" being connected, then it would only make sense that it would require all races' help to unite and vanquish it (after all, what have we learnt from every fiction book ever written?). -BTW, I still have no clue of a villain top right, any ideas?-
I also believe there is, or will be (and if not, should be) alliance quests, requiring cooperation, coordination, and teamwork to succeed.

Corwin: Thank you for your contribution on your report. However, I don't think assassins are the best choice- it has been tried many times before. Could you instead send outriders and trackers to the outskirts surrounding the Lannigolds Faction Hubs or the fortress, see if you can pick up anything? This goes for anyone with lots of spare time and diplomats to spend. Also, sending thieves to the fortress is still an option.

Brandmeister: I completely agree with you, we should make a recollection of the information gathered. If any more comes in, I can create a separate forum only for the information, and dedicate this one to solving and discussing the mysteries.

I was wondering about the Seelie Court. Why them, of all factions? Are any of the three desert hubs' factions related to them? Can someone cover that aspect please?
I think the seelie and unseelie have something major to do with the factions, but I am not sure about their relation to the fortress. I'll keep updating my ideas of the forums as at go along, but my main focus will be on the Fortress. Contact me if you have info, ideas, or want to help me in my quest to uncover the mystery at Dragon Disciple, either in game or in Forums.

P.S. Even though I scoured the forums for a while, I couldn't find any old reference to the trade hubs worthy enough of being mentioned, except for a constant reference to a quest "amassing the horde". Is anyone aware of what this quest was about? Is it still open for completion? If you have anything, posts links in comments, or PM me! If a major player is willing to spare troops to help us out.. Gladly accepted!

P.P.S. Shoutout to Night Shadows, they are a new, yet awesome guild! Especially Etherea, who is helping me with these and will be a major contributor in my next post about the mystic lands.

Sorry I took so long to right this, was busy the past few days :P

We will solve this!!

Posted By: vonrichtoven
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 10:18
I wonder if sending a caravan with the right trade goods might buy something akin to the alembine?

-------------
The Red Baron

Posted By: zap
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 15:35
I have sent 2k of each type of diplo to the fortress and received the same messages as others. Also I have sent traders to the hubs associated with the fortress thinking that if relations could be improved through trading it might help , but nothing has changed I still get same message .

-------------
Just here

Posted By: Hyde
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 17:46
All the mysteries seem a little neglected - we don't even know if it can be solved currently or wait untill the introduction of full faction release where you can change your standings.

I've never heard a dev say it's solvable, so I'm guessing that it isn't. And if it is, a small hint is badly needed as I'm guessing over the years hundreds of players have tried and failed.

Posted By: Wartow
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 20:13
Originally posted by zap zap wrote:

I have sent 2k of each type of diplo to the fortress and received the same messages as others. Also I have sent traders to the hubs associated with the fortress thinking that if relations could be improved through trading it might help , but nothing has changed I still get same message .

Zaps,

Were the diplos T2?  Which "hubs associated with the fortress" did you try to send your traders?

I'm having a hard time distinguishing between what is "lore" or backstory in the game and what indicates that there is a quest/mystery to be solved.

Was the Fortress of Shadows ever used as another part of the game?  Like a previous tournament?

-------------

Posted By: Ten Kulch
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 21:49
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

I'm having a hard time distinguishing between what is "lore" or backstory in the game and what indicates that there is a quest/mystery to be solved.

Allembine had a Herald announcement and shows up on the Mystery tab.

I am not aware of any faction backstory indicating a quest that can be completed. Am I wrong about that? I mean really, there are only three we know about: the heroic statues for the Allembine Scribes, the very convoluted ultimate item quest (FT, Duraz Karag, Audrey), and the Temple of Reason. While there are many tantalizing references and some special map locations, none of those seem enabled for quests.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 22:09
I send T1 and T2 diplo's 2k of each separately and together in groups . Of all types . The Hubs I sent traders to were The Hashashin and Apaxu hubs I left traders there for almost a year and did some trading to pay the taxes to the hubs for the trade thinking that in the messages is said "only the friend of the hashashin can enter" hoping to get better relations with them but after a year I recalled my traders . Which no improvement of standing has shown up .

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 00:44
My servants have been instructed to protect their secrets jealously. Only the worthy shall learn the ways of Ten Kulch.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 00:48
thanks Ten I could not find the system mail was so long ago .

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 05:26
Does it look like the game messages at the beginning of this thread?

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 16:34
Quote "Only the closest allies of the Hashashin may enter. If you are not amongst their allies, you should be pleased: to be allies of the Hasashin is to lose your souls to Ten Kulch!"

This is the closest thing I see to being a hint.  We know at this time that faction standing cannot change.

I've been working on diplo efforts against the only hub of the Hashashin (sorry 10k), Lannigold's Laresh, Triumvarite's Lacona, and Raju Metu's Glory City hubs.  All have been T2 (human) and messengers.  Nothing has come back as being unusual.  Only my spies reproduce the message in the original post when being sent to the Fortress of Shadows.

Has any elves tried diplo'ing these hubs?  The Hashashin doesn't seem to hate or favor much, but the elf race does have a small positive standing.  

I don't reside in any of the regions near these hubs, are encampments and other movements regular for these factions?

I've not recorded any specific detail regarding time, calendar, or lunar phase in my efforts.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 04:21
Yes 10K it does look like the thread .

I have resent trader to the hub along with t2 diplo's to fortress of shadows.
Along with something else I will try when I get report I will post .

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 19:18
Someone needs to explain HOW player actions can influence their standing with individual factions.  I can see that the alliance rankings are purely a function of basic racial alliance composition. Now if someone can prove that player actions influence player standing against a particular alliance then maybe one can become a close ally.  I keep my eyes open for Lannigolds to duff up.
Dung

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 21:32
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

Someone needs to explain HOW player actions can influence their standing with individual factions.  I can see that the alliance rankings are purely a function of basic racial alliance composition. Now if someone can prove that player actions influence player standing against a particular alliance then maybe one can become a close ally.  I keep my eyes open for Lannigolds to duff up.
Dung
At this time the individual player cannot alter their status with any faction.  I believe you are also correct in that the racial composition of one's alliance will determine that standing.  I would like to think that the DEVS have the potential to implement individual actions changing individual status with a faction.  The possibilities can extend from trading (tax rate) benefits/penalties to hostile action against harvesters, encampments, and/or cities.  The release of the Omen and underworld appear to be a sign of limited movement in this direction.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 21:35
I'm working on some diplo actions against Kajadum (Hashashin), Laresh (Lannigolds), Lacona (Triumvarite), and Glory City (Raja Metu).  This is the first report I've gotten back that shows something other than nothing.  But I'm not sure this means anything in terms of the Fortress of Shadow mystery/quest (if it is a thing).

Operation Against:Square [146|-447] in Arran
Operation Type:Scout
Operation Outcome:Completely Successful!

Mission Report:
Your diplomatic mission was undetected and completed the objective! Your units are on their way home, safe and sound.

Information Gathered:

Troop levels present, foreign reinforcements: 

Type:Unit:Quantity:
Army: Triumvirate
Division: Patrol from the Triumvirate
Troops:Light Pikemen Light Pikemen155
Troops:Elite Longbowmen Elite Longbowmen87
Troops:Heavy Infantry Heavy Infantry136
Troops:Light Lancers Light Lancers89

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 00:17
The point I'm trying to make is that unless you can get a better standing with the Hashashin faction, then you can't be their best friend and won't get into the fortress. The only way of testing this is to duff up their enemies and see if it changes your faction standing.  Basically why I am looking for Lannigolds units.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 00:31
There is no particular proof that a quest exists. If it did, you are then assuming it has something to do with faction standings. These seem tenuous leaps at best.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:17
Maybe, but a hypothesis to be tested.
I notice you say nothing on the faction standing functionality.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 12:40
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

There is no particular proof that a quest exists. If it did, you are then assuming it has something to do with faction standings. These seem tenuous leaps at best.

Yup, very well may be nothing to see here.

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

I notice you say nothing on the faction standing functionality.

Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

At this time the individual player cannot alter their status with any faction.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 03:27
Ok I sent some troops to the fortress to occupy with some diplo embedded. I got the standard message . troops arrive and are occupying. So nothing there I also send troops to occupy with scribes in there but expect same response. I'm just trying different things to see what happens. Also sending troops to raid to see what happens.

-------------
Just here

Posted By: Thexion
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 09:02
As general question to everyone.
There is a tab for mysteries in the Tavern. In the city where you sent the spies/spy to the fortress of shadows, do you have a tavern and does it show anything?

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 13:09
Originally posted by Thexion Thexion wrote:

As general question to everyone.
There is a tab for mysteries in the Tavern. In the city where you sent the spies/spy to the fortress of shadows, do you have a tavern and does it show anything?

Interesting theory.  I DO NOT have a tavern in any city.  I use the tavern just long enough to get the two quest discoveries and then tear it down.  I don't believe I've ever taken the tavern to level 20.  That would be an interesting experiment.  Thanks for the idea!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 18:22
All cities have the mysteries and quests tabs. Is there a different one for the tavern?

-------------

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 18:59
No. The links on the Tavern page simply take you to the same pages as you can access through the Herald.

Posted By: Thexion
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 15:09
Ok. Allembine mystery creates mark to the mystery tab. Does heart of chaos do so also?

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 16:27
Ok I sent a raid to fortress few days ago with troops and T2 diplo . They are on their way back now. I received no reports of any type . Don't know if its a glitch or I just missed it . will now try direct attack in the fortress.

-------------
Just here

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net