Print Page | Close Window

18/AUG/2014 - New City Graphics Options!

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5786
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 18/AUG/2014 - New City Graphics Options!
Posted By: GM Rikoo
Subject: 18/AUG/2014 - New City Graphics Options!
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 17:12
Illyriad players,

Today's update is an exciting one! Have you grown tired of the same old city, one that looks identical to many of your neighbors, friends and alliance-mates? Don't worry, because now you can change the look of your city as much as you want. Choose from one of 34 designs! Each design costs only 50 Prestige, and you can change one or all of your cities as much as you want. You can change the look of your city on the "City Type" page of your town, or via the Castle page.

We're offering styles that range from "Orcish" and deadly looking to "Elvish" and forested to mystical and mysterious. You might want to pick out a style that matches your local landscape. If you move locations later, you can choose a style that fits in there as well. Each city set comes with a different graphic for each level of development and you can test out the different versions without a commitment. The city graphics update as you level the city.

We would like to include more designs in the future, including "special" designs and possibly holiday themes or even player-designed looks!

We're also updating the city dropdown menu to include much more information like location, attack status, low resource warnings and more. (Details below.) The new menus work across devices like an Android or iPad.

A few notes and other updates:

• You must have an active prestige account to use these new options, though the city changes will remain whether your account is active or not.

• As of now, a captured city defaults to the look of the race of the owner . The new owner will have to pay 50 Prestige to change the look to something they prefer, or they can keep the current look.

• If you change the look of one of your cities, you will have to pay the 50 Prestige to change it back.

• The new city dropdown menu will include city stage, tax level, and the current items in the build and research queues. Active Prestige users will see additional alerts on each city if they are under attack by hostile diplomats or armies, have incoming trades from another player and if they will run out of gold or resources within in the next 48 hrs.

• All players can see your new design on the map and on your town's page. The new look also appears in your forum and in-game mail signature.

• The castle page now shows your city style and level.

• Forum and IGM signatures can take up to two hours to update due to browser caching.

• Diplomatic alerts on the new city drop-down use the same visibility rules as currently in force.

• The custom city looks remains after an Exodus

We'd especially like to thank GM Cerberus for his hard work in this project. His artwork just keeps getting better! If you have any questions, send an IGM to GM Rikoo or ask in this thread. Enjoy the new release and let us know if you find any issues.

GM Rikoo

-------------
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk

Replies:
Posted By: Consul Zynot
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 17:16
AWESOME Thumbs Up

Posted By: Demonic Spoon
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 17:29
Firstly, the new city tiles are very pretty! However,

Originally posted by GM Rikoo GM Rikoo wrote:

• If you change the look of one of your cities, you will have to pay the 50 Prestige to change it back.

If I'm understanding this correctly I'm strongly disliking this particular part of the setup. I'd prefer if purchasing a skin simply entered it into the available pool of skins you can the use for that city, rather than having it change the city with changing again to another skin you've used previously costing another 50 prestige.

It seems a rather bad way to handle it. But my opinion I guess.

EDIT: In addition I'm REALLY not liking that the different races can purchase each other's base styles. It'll destroy quite a bit of the atmosphere illyriad has in addition to causing unnecessary confusion.

"Ah a orc player, no wait he's actually a elf. Damn you city style changes!"

EDIT2: What I'd actually have liked much more than this is the ability to change the appearance of city view, or even better yet having the new city skins effect the appearance of city view.

Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 18:05
Originally posted by Demonic Spoon Demonic Spoon wrote:

EDIT: In addition I'm REALLY not liking that the different races can purchase each other's base styles. It'll destroy quite a bit of the atmosphere illyriad has in addition to causing unnecessary confusion.
does an elven city captured by an orc change its look to the orcish default? i hope not.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 18:15
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

does an elven city captured by an orc change its look to the orcish default? i hope not.

This is the only time I'd like it if a city owned by a race had the skin of another race, namely those of the original race of the city. However...

As of now, a captured city defaults to the look of the race of the owner . The new owner will have to pay 50 Prestige to change the look to something they prefer, or they can keep the current look.
GM Rikoo

Disapprove

Posted By: Arctic55
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 18:20

Firstly, the new city tiles are very pretty! However,

If you change the look of one of your cities, you will have to pay the 50 Prestige to change it back.

If I'm understanding this correctly I'm strongly disliking this particular part of the setup. I'd prefer if purchasing a skin simply entered it into the available pool of skins you can the use for that city, rather than having it change the city with changing again to another skin you've used previously costing another 50 prestige.

It seems a rather bad way to handle it. But my opinion I guess.

"Ah a orc player, no wait he's actually a elf. Damn you city style changes!"

I couldn't agree more.

-------------
I'm pressed but not crushed.
Persecuted but not abandoned.
Struck down but not destroyed.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 18:21
pity. i was looking forward to the future forum posts.

Player A:  "why did you attack me?"
Player B:  "your city had the Blue Ice skin i wanted."

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 18:30
ftr, i'll be disappointed if the orcs don't ask for a city graphic built from the bones of their enemies. also...steamwork castle?

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 18:36
I want to clearify for those not understanding. It's 50 prestige per design per town. So, if you wanted to change all 10 towns to a design, that's 500 prestige. Every time you change em all. That's what it is now.

I would like it to be changed to 50 prestige per design per account. That means, you pay 50 prestige once, and can use that design on all cities. I mean, if I couldn't do that in real life, I'd fire the designer. But that's my honest opinion.

-------------

Posted By: khrystle-raine
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 18:37
Is there a way we can lose or re-convert the new city drop down list back to having none of the information included except the city name, the way it was before without paying prestige or having to stop our 'active' prestige?

I, personally, find the new drop-down menu cumbersome; awkward and redundant. Confused

But if you are fixing things, maybe we could get the mail sorting system fixed so that 'system' mails actually go to the 'systems' folder... (would be nice if we could switch IGM's ourselves or if there was a 'keep' tab, so we could delete the thousands of system mails that tell us we've sent something; something has arrived and/or something is finished... why do we receive 5 IGM's for every action anyway?... be nice if the notifications were set up by CITY and not by player, too... Smile 

ty for hearing my whine... its a good vintage...

-------------
Comience como usted desean continuar;
Begin as you intend to continue..

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 18:40
Originally posted by Arctic55 Arctic55 wrote:

I would like it to be changed to 50 prestige per design per account. That means, you pay 50 prestige once, and can use that design on all cities. I mean, if I couldn't do that in real life, I'd fire the designer. But that's my honest opinion.

You do remember how you have to re-research everything in a new town? Apparently transfer of knowledge between cities isn't a thing in illyriad. And it also applies to city designs. Tongue

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 19:00
Eh, I would have had to spend the same ammount of prestige I did anyway, my cities all looked the same for too long, I don't want a repeat of that. Plus I want to different theme depending on where the city is. But I can see if you'd want one design for all your cities why it would be annoying to pay so much. Maybe they could do a bundle. Pay 50 for each other or pay like, 40 X number of cities for one single design. So for 10 cities it'd be 400 prestige rather than 500 if the design was all the same. *shrugs*

Edit: OMG! It even shows it in my little bottom bar thing! That's awesome possum. =) Also, it's good to see the devs finally rolling out updates without a huge space of nothing in between them. Gives me hope. 

-------------

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 19:02
Woohoo!!! we can change the look of our towns.

Seriously, what's the point here? We can have our towns look differently (for only (?!!) 50 prestige)
Are there not things to improve in the game that are a lot more urgent (and beneficial for a greater amount of players)
Where are the new schools of magic, diplo's in the field, broken lands NPC's etc?

All of the new updates are nothing more then more of the same. Nothing's improving the game. Broken lands was just more of the same, just as the last tournement. Come up with something new or stop wasting my time.    

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 19:14
Originally posted by Corwin Corwin wrote:

Woohoo!!! we can change the look of our towns.

Seriously, what's the point here? We can have our towns look differently (for only (?!!) 50 prestige)
Are there not things to improve in the game that are a lot more urgent (and beneficial for a greater amount of players)
Where are the new schools of magic, diplo's in the field, broken lands NPC's etc?

All of the new updates are nothing more then more of the same. Nothing's improving the game. Broken lands was just more of the same, just as the last tournement. Come up with something new or stop wasting my time.    

1) This update does not mean we are not working on other updates. As I said, we are currently working on many, but this one was a much easier one to finish than the others.

2) Being that this game is completely free to play -- which you *might* be aware of -- we have to have some ways to make money. This is one of them. If you'd rather, we can charge for troops and massive dragons! :) (We will never do that. ha)

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, players!

GM Rikoo

-------------

Posted By: Artefore
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 19:19
Corwin, also, this project looks like at least 95% of it was done by GM Cerberus, who as you may or may not be aware isn't a coder but rather a graphic designer and artist.  It's difficult as an artist to make a meaningful contribution to the game in the areas that coders deal in, just as you wouldn't expect GM ThunderCat to create the art for the game.  

-------------
"don't quote me on that" -Artefore

Posted By: Captain Kindly
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 19:30
I'm glad that the city drop down list is showing more info again. I really missed the pop-size in there after it was removed years ago. And the added info is well placed there.

However, instead of having to use a slider, I'd prefer having all of my cities in view. Especially since the list disappears quite fast after the mouse pointer leaves it. I suppose people using a laptop or tablet might find that even more irritating than I do.

But overall, well done, Cerberus. :)

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/60249" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 19:50
I'm sorry for my grumpiness. The art looks cool, but it just isn't something I play this game for. If I wanted great graphics I would have played other games. It's the same thing with the medals. I just don't see any point in it.
Credits to Cerberus for the great art (really, it looks awesome), but it just isn't my cup of tea. 

Posted By: Sir A
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 20:05
I love this new update but please make the cities a little larger on the map.  They are smaller than the original cities.  Other than that this update is a nice refresher and will probably boost prestige sales a little WinkClap

Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 20:14
I'm in favor of the option to pay a one-time fee for an account wide city design that can be switched at a whim, without added cost. Some may choose to buy all the designs that way, or perhaps one for every day of the week.

Posted By: Angry Hippo
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 20:14
[snip]Removed by GM Stormcrow: Not helpful. Thanks. [/snip]

Posted By: Captain Kindly
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 21:32
I'd like to add something to my earlier post:

Please remove the city icons from the alliance member page. They add absolutely nothing. In fact, they make the page look less good/useful.

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/60249" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 22:05
Or enable the standard city commands by click/tap. Otherwise you took up half the alliance page real estate for a big grid of dead icons.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 22:06
I do think it's nice that we have shiny new city pictures, though.

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 22:13
i'm happy to see illyriad, ltd. making money, but it does seem that the new skins should be unlocked either for the city (in which case they should survive successive captures, etc.) or for the player (in which case they should be available for all cities upon purchase). if that pushes up the prestige price, so be it. paying at every change seems very awkward, particularly if holiday-themed skins are coming. we'll turn Elgea into a place where the holiday lights are on all year...and who wants that?  ;)

Posted By: Nesse
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 22:25
I think it is good that the cost is a bit steep on the town skins, and that they are bought per town. I think at least shifting back to own race default should be free, though, if the avatar model with buying a wardrobe and then being able to change clothes is deemed too frivolous for a town.

Edit:
and please make the player towns "clickable" - it would be great to be able to send alliance shipments with one less click per player!

-------------
Nesse(Dwarven Druids) and Odd (Fairy Road Authority)

Posted By: Hiei
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 22:56
Great work to the development team. Thanks guys!

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 00:17
Originally posted by Captain Kindly Captain Kindly wrote:

I'd like to add something to my earlier post:

Please remove the city icons from the alliance member page. They add absolutely nothing. In fact, they make the page look less good/useful.

Yes, the new layout is just Ugly and cluttered.

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 00:20
I like the new updates  good to see new things being  added.

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 01:39
If the cities can look bigger that will be  awesome ,  also noticed there is no option for huge city just legendary,  if we can have   huge city added  and make the city  grow  a  bit that will also be a  good adding    Also some more particular  world   man made wonders- Pyramids  ancient  egypt, Royal Place of madrid-Spanish style- French style aswell versailles    i know the forbidden city was added  Clap

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 02:25
A Duraz Karag style option would be nice, too.

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 02:42
I second (or maybe it's third) making the alliance role page city icons clickable.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 02:44
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

I second (or maybe it's third) making the alliance role page city icons clickable.
We are working on this

Posted By: zolvon
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 03:11
Awesome! I hope this helps bring in heaps of $

I can't help but think some people are a little rude and ungrateful tho.

Keep up the good work Clap

Posted By: Miklabjarnir
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 03:59
Could you please remove the option to pay with alliance prestige? This is the kind of luxury purchase I really think each individual should pay for themselves.

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 04:35
Very nice artwork!  It would be nice if there were some rainbows.  And possibly glitter.

Posted By: Diva
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 04:36
Cries in happiness, YOU HEARD ME!! YOU LISTENED.. gosh I love Cerberus, I really do.. mwah from your Goddess.

Diva

-------------
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire

Posted By: Ficho
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 07:18
Nice work.

Buy it, or leave it.

You always have option:

Lurking for FREE!
Now!

Wink 

-------------

“Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live.”
Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 07:30
Awesome update! 

More beauty to Illyriad *tears*

I never updated my profile pic.. but this I am certainly going to do. If you can sovereign half a desert to make the picture of a falcon around your desert city, what is the cost of 50 prestige? Big smile

Also I like that changing city skin will cost 50 prestige. Its affordable, and discourage people from keep changing the city skin (and thus altering the view in the map) every now and then.

Posted By: Thexion
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 10:38
Hmph. Nice. 

I admit it would be much more work for Cerberus but set of different racial styles would have been preferable in my opinion. Meaning Elfs can choose from different cities and humans from different ones. 

Posted By: TSGH-RJS
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 11:33
Cool

Posted By: TheBillPN
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 12:49
Originally posted by zolvon zolvon wrote:

Awesome! I hope this helps bring in heaps of $

I can't help but think some people are a little rude and ungrateful tho.

Keep up the good work Clap

i agree

I do like the Lava Tower one, but i wont be getting any changes for a while 
Me=no money for Prestige player
Can you design a New York style one, or a space/futuristic one with tall glass spires etc...please?

CoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCool

Posted By: Marty
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 13:31
50 pres per city seems a bit steep to me, it wouldn't improve my game experience.  I buy prestige to make the game more enjoyable for me and I don't think the look of the cities will affect that.  Each to their own though and good luck to you if you want to use your prestige for that

However:  

If we're making requests....

I love the chess one - a bit different.  Can I put a vote in for:

Star Wars themed cities
Simpson's themed cities
Flower cities
City of Gold
etc
 Thumbs Up    Wink

M

Date Posted: 19 Aug 2014 at 20:08
I sort of hope the city themes don't stray too far from the fantasy/medieval setting.  I also agree with Thexion that it would be nice if the city themes were race-specific, for gameplay reasons as well as aesthetics.

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2014 at 21:00
Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

50 pres per city seems a bit steep to me, it wouldn't improve my game experience.  I buy prestige to make the game more enjoyable for me

It's less than $2 per city Like I said earlier, maybe make a bundle of them cheaper but per city fee seems fine to me. But hey, there's plenty else for you to spend your prestige on as well. =)

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 00:21
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Originally posted by Marty Marty wrote:

50 pres per city seems a bit steep to me, it wouldn't improve my game experience.  I buy prestige to make the game more enjoyable for me

It's less than $2 per city Like I said earlier, maybe make a bundle of them cheaper but per city fee seems fine to me. But hey, there's plenty else for you to spend your prestige on as well. =)

You do realize, some of us can't spend money on any game (for example me), or we we can't spend a lot. And we want to support the game (so I trade with people so they will buy some for me).

Even though we can't buy the prestige ourselves on a large scale, we want to be able to use these new abilities as well. Therefore, a more common ground between those who can spend none to a little and those who spend a lot, would be to make the designs empire wide when bought.

And, I'm sure, not everyone want's all their towns to be one design (or else why change). So those buying the designs will more likely to buy more than one. Therefore, it wouldn't be a loss in income, in fact, if the purchases were empire wide and you could switch between designs owned, people sitting on the fence might be more likely to purchase designs since as of now, they feel it is too steep.

For example, I'm not changing my designs because it is too steep for me as well. Now, if the purchases were empire wide, I would purchase some designs right away. And as the devs are planning to make more in the future, I may end up buying other designs I like.

Another idea would be designs that could only be bought during certain times in the year (although every year), like a New Years Design which can only be bought from December 29 - January 4 (1 week with the actual holiday in center).

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 00:23
Also, I would suggest a theme based on the different troops available (archer theme, swordmen theme, spearmen theme, and cavalry theme).

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 00:58

You do realize, some of us can't spend money on any game...

And how can the devs build a business strategy around that? They deserve to be paid for their time and talents. Judging by the number of city skins I've already seen, a lot of people are happy to pay $2 per city for a fresh look. It is, after all, the price of a cup of coffee, spent on a game that many of us enjoy every day of the year.

I have also wanted some customization options, specifically avatar. If there had been a more halfling-style dwarf (like the Keepers of the Golden Fields), I wouldn't have waited for free tournament points to change my image. The same with backgrounds--why is there nothing for the crafters and traders of this game? If anything, I think Cerberus has not properly capitalized on the Illy appetite for customization and variety. This might be a game of maps and empires, but the chat aspect is heavily RPG flavored, and the social-only players are sometimes not well engaged in their appetites.

I think there should also be far more medal options, and that the devs should examine their player base for the right icons. Five different crow options would probably generate ten thousand prestige in medal sales within a week or two. People have the money, but the potential doesn't seem to be accessed thoroughly sometimes.

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 03:09
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

You do realize, some of us can't spend money on any game...

And how can the devs build a business strategy around that? They deserve to be paid for their time and talents. Judging by the number of city skins I've already seen, a lot of people are happy to pay $2 per city for a fresh look. It is, after all, the price of a cup of coffee, spent on a game that many of us enjoy every day of the year.

I have also wanted some customization options, specifically avatar. If there had been a more halfling-style dwarf (like the Keepers of the Golden Fields), I wouldn't have waited for free tournament points to change my image. The same with backgrounds--why is there nothing for the crafters and traders of this game? If anything, I think Cerberus has not properly capitalized on the Illy appetite for customization and variety. This might be a game of maps and empires, but the chat aspect is heavily RPG flavored, and the social-only players are sometimes not well engaged in their appetites.

I think there should also be far more medal options, and that the devs should examine their player base for the right icons. Five different crow options would probably generate ten thousand prestige in medal sales within a week or two. People have the money, but the potential doesn't seem to be accessed thoroughly sometimes.

And there you go, para-phrazing what I said. I also stated (if you look further) those of us who can't pay, try to trade with others so others will pay for us.

But since the trades are so expencive, it's not worth it for us in the long run to spend it on customations (even though we want to). If you'll look at the avatar set up, once you buy a background, you can switch between the ones you own at will. That's what I'm asking, that the designs be empire wide instead of city by city (not to mention, the devs could easily make more backgrounds at any time) and we can change purchased designs at will.

I don't have the prestige laying around to change my 9 cities' designs, and later WHEN they come out with more (which they will, just like they do with the avatar backgrounds), change it again. I just don't have the prestige or the means to pay other people for that kind of prestige. I want to support the game, and I have bought, through ingame trades with people, somewhere between 5k-10k prestige (which went towards my alliances/speeding builds) and equals anywhere from $100-$200 and I am saving for further purchases (one of which I just recently made within the last week).

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 07:15
For me, 2$ is 2 percent of my monthly salary (social wellfare)

But I already said 

Nice work
Buy it or leave it

Lurking is free.

Cool

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 20:13

You do realize, some of us can't spend money on any game (for example me), or we we can't spend a lot (for example Brids17). And we want to support the game (so I trade with people so they will buy some for me).

Don't make assumptions on my financial status simply because I don't agree with you. 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 22:38
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

You do realize, some of us can't spend money on any game (for example me), or we we can't spend a lot (for example Brids17). And we want to support the game (so I trade with people so they will buy some for me).

Don't make assumptions on my financial status simply because I don't agree with you. 

Sorry wrong person ... I was thinking about you while writing this . I will edit it.

-------------

Posted By: Grego
Date Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 22:42
I love new looks! and size is just right

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 03:49

You do realize, some of us can't spend money on any game (for example me), or we we can't spend a lot.
then don't. illyriad is one of the few games where what you can't have in that case (a new look for your city) does not actually have anything to do with playing the game effectively. appreciate that, and appreciate that continuing to develop the game has a real cost that has to be paid and that those who pay it keep the game running for you and get a token graphical upgrade for doing so.

but that isn't even the whole story. in a game that some of us have played for years, the devs go further and actually *give away* prestige just for showing up. so without ever parting with a single coin, you can merely log in for 50 days and get what other players had to buy...for nothing. who is that not fair to, again?  ;)

Posted By: Merlinus
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 05:14
The Devs aren't doing anything with Illyriad.
What the Devs are doing to Illyriad is making it worse.
The Devs aren't doing it right with Illyriad.
The Devs are just huckstering Illyriad for profit.
The Devs are evil overlords out to push players away from Illyriad.
The Devs won't listen to me. I never get what I want. Why isn't Illyriad more like LoU, or Evony, or ....?
The Devs created this option, which basically does nothing to, or for Illyriad.
The Devs did it wrong! They should have....

And it's only page six.

I'm a new player. I'm an LoU (and others) refugee. How's about this?

Thank you, Devs. You make me feel like Illyriad is growing, not dying. Thank you for the wonderful and creative artwork we could never do that you did, just for us. For those who have played this game, created this community, and dedicated our online game play since day one--and for those of us for whom this IS day one, thank you. Your continued dedication to this game is the reason for our continued dedication to this game. Thank you for leading from the front. Thank you for trusting us, the players to give you thoughtful, respectful feedback and input--for making it possible for us to help create OUR game, something unique in the gaming world. I (am/am) not a fan of this particular development, but I do appreciate the fact that you honor us by showing up for work every single day, with the best intentions for the customers you serve to be first on your priority list. I'd like to say a special "Thank You!" to GM Cerebus for the amazing contribution we see today. Oh, and by the way,

Thank you.

-------------
In Peace we reign. In War we RULE!

Long live the Royal House of Merlinus!

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 15:45
@ Merlinus +1

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 21:21
You missed ones did reply with gratitude +1'ers... w/i the 6 pages. Better to focus on the positives of the thread than the negatives.. 

D

-------------

Posted By: Miklabjarnir
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 03:04
After trying out some of the new choices, I have a couple of comments/requests.

- the new graphics are generally darker than the old ones. I am playing on a calibrated 10-bit monitor, and find it quite noticeable. For some sets it is appropriate, but generally I think the new and old sets should be better matched.

- It would be VERY nice if the city graphics were made as overlays, so that a captured city would retain its style but any new growth to it would be in your selected style. Would also be nice for role-playing reasons if you decided to change the style of an existing city - style A up to size X, then style B up to size Y etc. 

Posted By: Tyrande Whisperwinds
Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 12:22
So..out of 1136562 suggestions for game improvement, bugs fixes that need to be sorted, the dev's decided to release a purely cosmetic, useless, thingy out...
But wait..this gives money... Oh wait, here comes the defenders of the poors saying the game needs revenue to keep rolling, blabla..
If maybe they released new content, fixed some stupid bugs and whatsnot, maybe the player database would grow much more, (or ppl would stop leaving for lack of new things to do) and those would spend more prestige..thus increasing income..and making everybody happy...
Plus, if you think for one moment someone is not making GOOD money out of this...and that only a small (if much) portion of the income is going to be redirected to actually improve gameplay... you dont live in the XXI century...

I'm glad this game is free... otherwise would have stopped playing ages ago...

Date Posted: 29 Aug 2014 at 13:36
Originally posted by Tyrande Whisperwinds Tyrande Whisperwinds wrote:

So..out of 1136562 suggestions for game improvement, bugs fixes that need to be sorted, the dev's decided to release a purely cosmetic, useless, thingy out...
But wait..this gives money... Oh wait, here comes the defenders of the poors saying the game needs revenue to keep rolling, blabla..
If maybe they released new content, fixed some stupid bugs and whatsnot, maybe the player database would grow much more, (or ppl would stop leaving for lack of new things to do) and those would spend more prestige..thus increasing income..and making everybody happy...
Plus, if you think for one moment someone is not making GOOD money out of this...and that only a small (if much) portion of the income is going to be redirected to actually improve gameplay... you dont live in the XXI century...

I'm glad this game is free... otherwise would have stopped playing ages ago...

First of all, you make a good point. Granted, it's mixed in with some other things that are a bit ... extreme... but I do see what you mean. We have been listening to many suggestions and we have fixed many bugs. We've had the discussion before about how many changes we put into the game that came directly from players. This patch (the one with the castle changes) includes one. 

As a side note, this patch was more the result of our artist GM Cerberus (and then put into the game by TC) so did not "take away" time from "real" developments as it would in other cases. Still, we are a tiny team so everything takes some time.

But, we do have to do more about the bugs or issues, for sure. All I can tell you is that we are working on items (especially bugs, as we defeat many as they are reported in bug reports) but you might be feeling as though you are in a vacuum simply because I have a rule that I do NOT communicate to the players about changes until they are practically done, so we can avoid "teasing" players (unless it is something silly or fun or less intensive to develop, like these castle changes.) 

Feel free to IGM me any time to ask about developments.

GM Rikoo

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 05:21
Honestly I think things were more fun and interesting when the devs talked more about stuff before it happened.  Sure, we complained when stuff failed to materialize, but it was fun to hear about the thinking and vision of the developers.

It is possible that having a bunch of engaged and demanding players causes more wear and tear on the developers -- but might also indicate a more engaged and committed playerbase.

Just something to think about.

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 16:00
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Honestly I think things were more fun and interesting when the devs talked more about stuff before it happened.  Sure, we complained when stuff failed to materialize, but it was fun to hear about the thinking and vision of the developers.
...and the complaining just shifted to other things, it didn't go away. I bet if everything were "perfect", there'd be some complaining about lack of things to complain about. Complainers will complain, won't they?

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Nesse
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 16:15
Yay!
Pathfinding! Battle magic! Faction quests!
Soon(TM)

I agree with Rill, don't wait with releases until they are done. I like being teased, and we are still building roads on a release that was "coming soon(tm)" in august 2010. Honestly, I like building roads and I think it is a good idea that should be introduced to the game as soon as possible. But this post is not about roads or about things that have or haven't been released - it is about maintaining that suspense of this great game become even more awesome sometime soon. I think that what is needed for that to happen/continue/be recreated (delete as appropriate) is to
1) Talk about plans without giving specific dates
and
2) Actually launch things once in a while.
None of these happened for over a year while a dwindling playerbase waited for the Broken Land to have a grand release. I feel a change now and the devs are talking about things and things are being released. Not that big things so far, but I hope the small things keep coming rather than a one big thing being released very far into the trademark of a once soon future.

Keep it up, please!

-------------
Nesse(Dwarven Druids) and Odd (Fairy Road Authority)

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 17:29
If Age of Ascent is a success, I would hope some of the resources would be put back into Illyriad, seeing as how it is very likely that most of the Illyriad revenue was used to bankroll the equity stake in the AoA development.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 02:37
I would be surprised if Illyriad had ever generated positive net revenue in the first place, so I doubt that it could have been used to bankroll AoA.  On the other hand, the existence of Illyriad demonstrates that the Illy dev team is capable of producing a game that is playable, so in that sense it probably encouraged outside investors to put money into AoA that they might not have otherwise.

In any case, since we as players have very limited visibility into the financing of Illyriad Ltd., we might as well be blind people saying that an elephant is thin and ropy.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2014 at 07:17
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I would be surprised if Illyriad had ever generated positive net revenue in the first place, so I doubt that it could have been used to bankroll AoA.
positive net revenue is a matter of accounting. as most of the cost would be in labour, i'm sure GM Stormcrow can make this number whatever he likes, but based on the player numbers being tossed about, the percentage of players who actually pay for the game (which was public at one time), the 2.5 employees illyriad has claimed...no one is getting rich from illyriad. it is, and is likely to continue to be, a labour of love.

we know for certain that AoA sought crowd funding, so if Stormcrow has, in fact, become a tycoon from the proceeds of illyriad he's kept his offshore accounts well in order.

Date Posted: 07 Sep 2014 at 20:38
Well Devs, do what you do... we'll continue to shout and complain, laud and sing your praises., and wait. 

Seriously can't win em all. FACT

You can please some of the people some of the time, you cannot please all the people ALL the time. FACT

For those with longevity behind their history... PROOF

Diva

-------------

Posted By: Glin
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 03:58
Diva must be hinting for a Christmas show & tell hosted by the Devs.  :)

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 23:31
You misread - I said part of the revenue from Illyriad was likely used for the AoA equity stake - the rest was obtained from crowdfunding (loan or equity I don't know).  Obviously, on cash costs, Illyriad is cash positive or it would close.  The lack of development points to limited funds being available to increase functionality (and I imagine a lot of coding is done without payment).  If the player base is 2,000 and 60% buy prestige £20pa = 2,000 x 0.60 x 20 = £24k. So I'd guess it clears maybe £1k cash per month after cash expenses.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 04:09
Dung, I wouldn't assume that Illy is cash positive.  Some people can afford expensive hobbies.  Perhaps our beloved devs are among them.  We don't know whether that's the case or not.  In fact, we know basically nothing about the financial position of Illyriad Ltd.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 09:50
Illy world need changes.
Changes that mean progress. 

With these ornamental disorder (congratulations to the artist) you have not made anything. 
I do not see a scramble for a new look. 

Just one suggestion:

For start, make this game a fair gaming. (alone, without players's help)

At the beginning of the game, Illyriad certainly brought a profit.

334 players online

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 02:11
Originally posted by Ficho Ficho wrote:

Just one suggestion:

334 players online

I rarely see an ad-free Solitaire game... I think we are lucky, and free is not always better.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 09:20
Originally posted by Diva Diva wrote:

Just one suggestion:

334 players online

I rarely see an ad-free Solitaire game... I think we are lucky, and free is not always better.

Our happiness, Diva, is that developers do not think in this way. 

(I sincerely hope) 

The basis of each game is fair play. 
Developers are passionate players (for themselves so they say) 

They will certainly know what it is fair play, and have the means, without the help of players (I do not mean to PIG, they are really needed, I think about the fundamentals of the game) this game lead in the framework of fair play. Again.

338 players on line

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 00:59
/me thinks Ficho hasn't played Civony/Evony. rofl.

Fair game play? It's a sandbox game. 

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 08:57
Originally posted by Diva Diva wrote:

/me thinks Ficho hasn't played Civony/Evony. rofl.

Fair game play? It's a sandbox game. 

Everyone is scratching where it itches.

You're comparing grandmothers and frogs. 
To compare this game with any other, is useless and unnecessary. 

I really hope that developers are not thinking in that direction.

336 players on line

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 15:59

With these ornamental disorder (congratulations to the artist) you have not made anything. 

The new city graphics are awesome. You may not like it, but many people (including me) do. If graphics didnt matter, we would be playing the game in a command line interface.

This is the kind of stuff that could be 'sold' without affecting fairplay. What is there to complain about addition of graphics? Confused

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 16:07
Tell me more about this Illyriad on Command Line Interface version. Could it be scripted?

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 17:57
Originally posted by Ander Ander wrote:

The new city graphics are awesome. You may not like it, but many people (including me) do. If graphics didnt matter, we would be playing the game in a command line interface.

This is the kind of stuff that could be 'sold' without affecting fairplay. What is there to complain about addition of graphics? Confused

Please read again.

Many people on this forum read to reply.
I read to understand.

I appeal to developers and it is my opinion that the new look of cities shall not improve profits. I would not be interested in it, but here I said. 

No, the new look is not going to affect fair play. Fair play long marred with some bad strokes from developers. I hope the developers to realize that. At the error is learned.

And again, my congrats to artist.

-------------

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Grego
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 22:32
All prestige that I paid for Illyriad was spent on graphics. Medals before and now cities. Maybe I will spend more for something new ( units, objects? ).  At least map will look more interesting.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net