Print Page | Close Window

The Greatest Quest on Illyriad!

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: The World
Forum Name: Elgea
Forum Description: For everything related to the Elgea Continent
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5771
Printed Date: 13 Nov 2019 at 17:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: The Greatest Quest on Illyriad!
Posted By: Epidemic
Subject: The Greatest Quest on Illyriad!
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 18:59

The fortune teller's eyes go wide.

"I see you...

And I see your exceedingly skilled crafters.

Wait a moment."


She pauses in meditation, for what seems like hours, before suddenly jerking her head up and looking directly into your spies' eyes.

"You seek to learn the mystery of Dwarven Champion's Armour.

The next time I am with your kith, I will ask.

It will, however, cost you. Be prepared. I will be in touch."


Your diplomatic mission is heading home, alternately pondering and dismissing these words of wisdom.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Your gatekeepers report that a wizened old woman arrived earlier in the day at ******.

She did not enter the city but instead pressed a note into the hands of the gate officer, saying "Give this to your master. He is expecting it."

She left immediately without further word; shuffling off down the road with surprising speed.

The note reads:

"I have spoken with those whom I mentioned; those who guard the secret ways of Duraz Karag.

They may be willing to share their secret, if you prove yourself worthy.

If you still seek this knowledge then there are three tasks you must complete to prove your worth.

Firstly, you must prove your ability to collect unusual materials.

Procure the following items in the following quantities:
x5 tentacles
x5 "
x5 "
x5 "

When you have at least these quantities of these items in your town's inventory, send a messenger Messengers from ***** to the great hall of Duraz Karag at [-203|-122] in Tor Carrock.

Do not fail in this, for your reputation is at risk."


There is no signature on the note.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Your diplomat walks quietly around the empty halls, his footsteps echoing in the silence underneath the arches of the ruined cathedral ceiling.

Spotting a gentle glow emanating behind a ruined pillar, he carefully and quietly peers behind the rubble.

His initial trepidation is replaced by a sense of wonderment as he sees the vague, shimmering outline of a great Dwarven warrior, resplendent in ancient armour. Despite the ghostly shape's clearly unnatural nature, he feels nothing but calm.

The translucent figure speaks with a deep, slow voice; although it appears his lips do not move.

" You have done well thus far, and may yet prove yourself worthy.

You must keep these terrible boils of corrupted flesh safe in your town.

I warn you. Do not send them out, do not transfer them away. Keep them safe whilst you prepare yourself.

When the dread corruption rises again, ****** will be in dire peril. Secure this town as best you can; you may wish to seek assistance from your compatriots, as the onslaught will be swift and ruinous when the time comes.

Survive this test, and you will have but a single trial ahead of you before the secret will be yours. "


The mysterious figure fades into the background, and after searching the ruins thoroughly, your diplomat returns home.

.............................................................................................................................................................

An old crone arrives at the doors of ******.

Into the Gatekeepers' hand she presses a small piece of parchment that reads:

"The Horror has stirred; and the fools continue to feed it - making your task ahead more arduous. You've spoken with the Ancient Dwarven warriors, and you've made your choice to stand in opposition.

Once it is sated, the next phase will begin.

You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. If you're not well prepared to defend your city against the corruption, this could prove disastrous.

I wish you luck, Epidemic [Siege]. Stand firm. And if you cannot stand firm, then die well."


As swiftly as she arrived, she is gone.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Your quartermaster knocks quietly at the door of your study.

He looks perturbed, and you beckon him to speak.

"My liege... I don't know how to put this.

I know you entrusted us to protect those foul and corrupted tentacles deep within the city stores - a task we have not taken lightly.

However, my liege, they're... they're gone. Vanished."

He takes you to the stores to show you, and gestures to the once sturdy but now partially broken glass jars that held each tentacle in preserving fluid.

"See? They've been taken. We've searched the entire area, but it's been more difficult than expected to see anything at this late hour - the thief must've planned this for the New Moon tonight!"

The quartermaster continues to talk as you survey the area - but a sudden chill runs down your spine as you realise that the way the shattered fragments of glass have fallen would suggest that they were shattered from the inside of the jar.

"Anyway", says the quartermaster, "We'll continue our search through the night and at first light tomorrow, though, don't you worry - the entire guard is out looking for this foolish thief!"

You return to your study, deep in thought.

.............................................................................................................................................................

Knocking softly on your door, the Captain of The Guard asks for a moment of your time.

"My liege, we've been receiving... what I can only describe as disturbing reports from the land around this fair city.

Villagers working outside the city have started... disappearing. We cannot find any trace of them anywhere.

When it was just a couple of villagers, the people believed that it was likely to be the work of wild animals - or perhaps a small pack of trolls travelling up from the South.

However, when reports came to my ears of a small village that had simply vanished in the night, I rode out to investigate.

It is as they say. There's simply no one there anymore; cooking pots and pans were still warm from the night's fire. Just... a dead village remained. No animals, no birds, no people. Nothing.

Nothing remains to indicate what has happened to the good people of the land, and the neighboring townspeople are frightened.

We're at a loss as to what to do, frankly. Perhaps whatever is responsible will show itself in the light of day?"


He thanks you for your time, promises to report anything suspicious, and leaves you to your thoughts.

.............................................................................................................................................................

The Captain of The Guard bangs urgently on your door.

"My liege, the horror has shown itself, and is outside the city walls!

We do not know what to do; it appears immune to our attacks!

We shall try and contain the monstrosity, so it does not spread it's filth any further afield; any military help you can give us to contain it in place would surely not be in vain!!"


He takes his leave, and dashes out of the castle.

.............................................................................................................................................................




Replies:
Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 19:01




Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 19:03



Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2014 at 18:30
Exciting!

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources


Posted By: Arctic55
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 04:02
... this doesn't really help except that we now know what we need to get the actual blueprint? I get the feeling that the devs haven't finished the path to the restricted crafting blueprints and this was just the part most recently completed. But at any rate, congrats Epid!

-------------
I'm pressed but not crushed.
Persecuted but not abandoned.
Struck down but not destroyed.


Posted By: Nesse
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 12:08
Thanks, Epidemic, for posting the full texts regarding the quest!

I guess we will know the next quest in a month or two. For the time being, I intend to keep posting status reports in the "Don't get eaten" tournament thread. http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/player-tournament-dont-get-eaten_topic5767_page1.html
Anyway, today Audrey has 57 corrupted squares of the 73 required.
Edit: 73, it is 73!


-------------
Nesse(Dwarven Druids) and Odd (Fairy Road Authority)


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 15:59
How do you know its 63 squares?
Do the tendril and heart squares count at all?
Do the temples need to be corrupted before they start corrupting units sent there?
Regards
Dung


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 22:48
Research confirms that diplomatic units do NOT have to go right to the Heart to be "consumed".  Any corrupted square can "consume" diplomatic units.


Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 23:56
The temples only work when the heart is beating. Then they become named squares. I can't remember what the three "Temple of" names were anymore, but it's in another thread.


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2014 at 17:01
still only 58sq corrupted + 9sq audrey = is no-one adding ion any extra military?


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 21:08
now 65sq corrupted + 9sq audrey


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 02:14
now 66sq corrupted + 9sq audrey


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 25 Aug 2014 at 21:23
now 67sq corrupted + 9sq audrey


Posted By: Captain Kindly
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 19:12
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

now 67sq corrupted + 9sq audrey

Shouldn't you have changed the +9 by now?


-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/60249" rel="nofollow">


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 23:05
No, 
I assume the heart/left/right tendril are corrupted. 3sq.
Also the 3sq above and 3sq below as these have graphics (or seem to) which show corruption.
Thus, +9sq for audrey.


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 23:12
67+9 as of now


Posted By: Nesse
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 18:24
The heart started beating at midnight after the day the number of squares reached 73 last two times it was beating. Well, it is quite clear from the documentation posted in the forum during the previous Audrey watch. (Sorry for saying 63 in my previous post - I think I made the same error last time around as well. :P )


-------------
Nesse(Dwarven Druids) and Odd (Fairy Road Authority)


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 21:15
so 73+9 is what we are waiting for?
I assume so since if we count all the squares, we're already over 73!
In other words, around 2 weeks assuming people are sending military at the same continuous rate.


Posted By: Nesse
Date Posted: 28 Aug 2014 at 18:12
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/heart-of-corruption_topic2004_page50.html

Apparently, there was 73+9 squares on the 9th October 2012, and the 19th, she was beating. It may be that we need 76 squares, in that the three temples also get corrupted one by one before the beating starts.
It seems that each time she has been beating, people got sort of tired of watching towards the end and then too excited to put down the details of what happened...


-------------
Nesse(Dwarven Druids) and Odd (Fairy Road Authority)


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 18:25
.


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 18:28
It has been a few days since Audrey stopped beating, we're at a lose for reasons why she hasn't attacked us. Best guesses are: She'll attack after all corrupted units land from the feeding or the FT messages were misleading and misinterpreted. What we do know is that the FT doesn't have a clue on how to tell time!


Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 18:49
You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. ... But the message was sent more than a week ago!
Maybe Audrey is waiting for all the reinforcements to come back to their own cities ...
This makes no sense and it is not fair!
TH


Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 20:15
The message should just have said they were coming "soon."  We would all have known what that meant.

Wink


Posted By: dittobite
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 20:36
well all the towns that have unlocked the mystery thus far now have a cloud or something that appears to by 'myst like' surrounding them.  I'm guessing the devs were not ready to have the mystery solved to completion thus the towns were marked with this 'myst' until the devs put together the massive armies that are to be sent at them.   sorta would have been nice if the armies came from audrey but seems not since she has stopped beating. 


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 00:33
Originally posted by jordigui jordigui wrote:

You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. ... But the message was sent more than a week ago!
Maybe Audrey is waiting for all the reinforcements to come back to their own cities ...
This makes no sense and it is not fair!
TH


I agree, its not fair.


Originally posted by dittobite dittobite wrote:

well all the towns that have unlocked the mystery thus far now have a cloud or something that appears to by 'myst like' surrounding them.  I'm guessing the devs were not ready to have the mystery solved to completion thus the towns were marked with this 'myst' until the devs put together the massive armies that are to be sent at them.   sorta would have been nice if the armies came from audrey but seems not since she has stopped beating. 


I was going to say the same thing. The devs should at least have the decency to tell us the mystery is not ready to be solved. The second Audrey became active and nothing happened I knew something had to be wrong.

Its been at least 2 months, probably more, that i've been yelling for help and asking some great alliances to please resend reinforcements, over and over and over and over, letting them know Audrey will attack any time now...

Own up to the fact the Audrey quest is bust so we can go about our normal daily business!


Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 02:01
They said it was functioning normally. Given that it would be easy to launch an army of Melders from Audrey, and later bestow the discovery (the items already exist), I think patience is the best course of action. Sooner or later the ruinous onslaught will arrive.

However, I do think the level of reinforcements is comical, and likely to overwhelm the Melders by a factor of 20x.


Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 02:53
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:



However, I do think the level of reinforcements is comical, and likely to overwhelm the Melders by a factor of 20x.


I hope you are right! Especially if the attack waits so long that my reinforcements have left >.<

I think mainly, since we have worked a year to wake up audrey twice etc. and have waited 2 months just for this last part, we want to have no chance of failing.


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2014 at 13:32
I think that the message left by the old crone was seriously inaccurate.
You only have a few scant hours.... yeah whatever!
Maybe the logic is working as intended but the text is clearly rubbish.
I fully expect the melders to show up in 6 months when everyone has died of boredom or quit.


Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 19:45
Originally posted by jordigui jordigui wrote:

You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. ... 


Maybe it means that you will have only a few hours of time left once the 'incoming' melder/evil armies are seen in the army movements screen? 
They must have made it like this to avoid getting the towns defended with millions of troops from all over the server. Keep the cities well defended until it happens! Thumbs Up




Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 08 Oct 2014 at 21:24
They wanna kill the troops of boredom! Take care!


Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 00:10
The developers have proved themselves capable of conjuring up marauding mammoths fairly quickly in the past.  Either what they intended to have happen didn't happen because of an error in the coding, or it still is going to happen with the time is right (soon(tm)?), or the fortune teller is a charlatan.

I'm guessing the people at the Temple of Reason are laughing their asses off at us right now.

Wink


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 09:58
Half of me thinks we have to feed it all again but then the old crone's "few scant hours" doesn't computer with this scenario.

"Computer says no"


Posted By: Sirius
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2014 at 19:02
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:


You must keep these terrible boils of corrupted flesh safe in your town.

I warn you. Do not send them out, do not transfer them away. Keep them safe whilst you prepare yourself.

I suppose all we have to do is wait... Has anyone tried to play with fire and move the tentacles around though? Doing this probably interferes with the quest and can cause it to fail; but perhaps we're expected to get curious and ignore the "don't transfer them away" warning.
This sure seems unlikely to trigger much progress, but... could be worth trying at some point.


Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 02:34
The old crone's "scant hours" quote was written back when the HoC was on a 3-day heartbeat cycle, and we hadn't adjusted the text for the increased cycle.  I'll make sure the text gets adjusted (and the day it's sent also) for the next time around.

Best,

SC



Posted By: demdigs
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 02:51
GM SC, if that is the case, can you tell us when it is supposed to be active. Since the fortune teller's info is wrong. Or give us a hint. Thank you very much for your time.


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 22:46
Judging by the number of tentacles at Centrum, that hub ought to be for a visit from a few million melders!


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 06:14
Can you tell us when to expect an attack from Audrey? And since she didn't attack at the right time I think its only right that Audreys' attack force be very small...


Posted By: Serpentina
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 14:32
The program will take seven-and-a-half million years to run.


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 19:00
... and 42 melders will show up.


Posted By: Consul Zynot
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 20:26
Nuke


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 00:08
It's going on 17 days now since Audrey stopped beating...So what gives?

We deserve to know when to expect an attack. Will it be days away, week away, months away, next year, soon...


Posted By: Ryklaw
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 08:42
edited by Ryklaw



-------------
Finishing the Race!
II Tim 4:7,8


Posted By: Tyrande Whisperwinds
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 09:14
So what? Send another army to overlap with the retreating one...


Posted By: Aurordan
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 09:41
Or, alternatively, don't send any armies, because nobody is being attacked by anything :P


Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 12:27
Well, I was attacked by my ex-scouts (bringing me more tentacles). Because the Fortune Teller said few scant hours and not weeks. I believe I already survived the attack the Fortune Teller predicted. So, we need to receive next part of the quest.
Alternatively, if there is planned another attack, then we need to receive adequate information on when it is gonna happen to reinforce the cities again. Already the second wave of reinforcements is leaving ...
Instead of the Greatest quest it shoul be named the longest wait ...


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 18:22
Originally posted by Tyrande Whisperwinds Tyrande Whisperwinds wrote:

So what? Send another army to overlap with the retreating one...


Why didn't I think of that, thank you!  Everybody, it has been discovered that you can resend your armies, please do so now....

Oh wait, half the active server has been resending their armies over and over and over and over and over and over and over for 2 months now waiting on the 'swift and ruinous' event to take place.


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 21:55
5(?) towns have the fog yet nothing has happened yet... in spite of the old crone saying its coming.
I think that GM Stormcrow was being economical with the truth when (s)he put the reason down to the change in the period of activity.  It seems more like an excuse, any excuse, to justify something that wasn't fit for purpose.


Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 00:22
Why should this mechanism not be fit? I guess they put it in place at the same time with HoC and Fortune teller.... a stepwise programming of such a (possibly) linear quest would make no sense at all... 


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 20:18

The fortune teller's eyes go wide.

"I see you...

And I see your exceedingly skilled crafters.

Wait a moment."


She pauses in meditation, for what seems like hours, before suddenly jerking her head up and looking directly into your spies' eyes.

"You seek to learn the mystery of Dwarven Champion's Armour.

The next time I am with your kith, I will ask.

It will, however, cost you. Be prepared. I will be in touch."


Your diplomatic mission is heading home, alternately pondering and dismissing these words of wisdom.
.....................................................................................................................................................

Your gatekeepers report that a wizened old woman arrived earlier in the day at Karak Kadrin.

She did not enter the city but instead pressed a note into the hands of the gate officer, saying "Give this to your master. He is expecting it."

She left immediately without further word; shuffling off down the road with surprising speed.

The note reads:

"I have spoken with those whom I mentioned; those who guard the secret ways of Duraz Karag.

They may be willing to share their secret, if you prove yourself worthy.

If you still seek this knowledge then there are three tasks you must complete to prove your worth.

Firstly, you must prove your ability to collect unusual materials.

Procure the following items in the following quantities:
x5
x5
x5
x5

When you have at least these quantities of these items in your town's inventory, send a messenger Messengers from Karak Kadrin to the great hall of Duraz Karag at [-203|-122] in Tor Carrock.

Do not fail in this, for your reputation is at risk."


There is no signature on the note.
.......................................................................................................................................................

Your diplomat walks quietly around the empty halls, his footsteps echoing in the silence underneath the arches of the ruined cathedral ceiling.

Spotting a gentle glow emanating behind a ruined pillar, he carefully and quietly peers behind the rubble.

His initial trepidation is replaced by a sense of wonderment as he sees the vague, shimmering outline of a great Dwarven warrior, resplendent in ancient armour. Despite the ghostly shape's clearly unnatural nature, he feels nothing but calm.

The translucent figure speaks with a deep, slow voice; although it appears his lips do not move.

" You have done well thus far, and may yet prove yourself worthy.

You must keep these terrible boils of corrupted flesh safe in your town.

I warn you. Do not send them out, do not transfer them away. Keep them safe whilst you prepare yourself.

When the dread corruption rises again, Karak Drak will be in dire peril. Secure this town as best you can; you may wish to seek assistance from your compatriots, as the onslaught will be swift and ruinous when the time comes.

Survive this test, and you will have but a single trial ahead of you before the secret will be yours. "


The mysterious figure fades into the background, and after searching the ruins thoroughly, your diplomat returns home.
........................................................................................................................................................

An old crone arrives at the doors of Karak Drak.

Into the Gatekeepers' hand she presses a small piece of parchment that reads:

"The Horror has stirred; and the fools continue to feed it - making your task ahead more arduous. You've spoken with the Ancient Dwarven warriors, and you've made your choice to stand in opposition.

Once it is sated, the next phase will begin.

You have only a few scant hours of preparation time left. If you're not well prepared to defend your city against the corruption, this could prove disastrous.

I wish you luck, Epidemic [Siege]. Stand firm. And if you cannot stand firm, then die well."


As swiftly as she arrived, she is gone.



Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 22:34
A big thank you for posting all this in one place.
I say we feed the bitch again and see what happens.


Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2014 at 22:45
I wonder if the state machine got tangled by the players who unlocked the "ruinous onslaught" after the heart started beating.


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 19:03
This endeavor has been called off, anybody who has been sending troops in the past please stop sending until further notice. Thank you for your help and patience, and sorry for the disappointing results.

The devs have once again abandoned Illy for their new game, and as usual they can't give us the respect we deserve and own up to that fact. This game had huge potential, but has become a huge disappointment.


Posted By: GM Rikoo
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 19:31
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

The devs have once again abandoned Illy for their new game, and as usual they can't give us the respect we deserve and own up to that fact. This game had huge potential, but has become a huge disappointment.

No, we have not. The disrespect in this message is coming from you. I am sorry that you are disappointed, however. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

GM Rikoo




-------------
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk


Posted By: Capricorne
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 20:04
Originally posted by GM Rikoo GM Rikoo wrote:


(...)  If you have any questions feel free to ask!

GM Rikoo



??? Haven't we? Arf sorry about the misunderstanding. Here's the question: Is the "swift and ruinous onslaught" that should have been happened after " a few scant hours" is working as intended or ar we missing something here? Do you need more specifics information about it or do you see what we're talking about?

Thx in advance for the answer.


Friendly,
Cap.


Posted By: Sheza
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 23:33
Epi did not say anything we have not all thought.  



-------------
If Horses don't go to Heaven when they die. then I want to go where they go.


Posted By: Ubiquitous Feral
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 02:05
I hope whatever happens involves mammoths.

-------------
Ubiquitous Feral


Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 18:15
Originally posted by Sheza Sheza wrote:

Epi did not say anything we have not all thought.  
perhaps not, but he does manage to say it in a particularly offensive and self-pitying fashion.


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 20:59
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

Originally posted by Sheza Sheza wrote:

Epi did not say anything we have not all thought.  
perhaps not, but he does manage to say it in a particularly offensive and self-pitying fashion.


I could care less about condolences, especially from the likes of someone like you, so keep the insults to yourself.

I guess one is considered offensive if one gets upset because one spends around 2 years trying to solve a mystery that the game makers haven't finished yet and haven't given an explanation why. I guess someone like you is used to that, but not I.

I guess I shouldn't be mad about being constantly threatened with being banned or having my messages deleted all the time or having petitions unanswered.




Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 21:23
I do not agree with the way in which Epidemic phrased his complaint, but I completely agree with his anger.  Communication from the Dev's is all that is required but they fail at that minimal task.


Posted By: GM Rikoo
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 21:57
We have communicated. What he wants is more communication. Understandable, but getting off topic will only get his original thread locked. Again, if you have a complaint or want to ask a question, do it, but if any insults enter the mix (as his original post and others after contained) then the thread will be closed or the offense taken down.

And no, Epi, you are not constantly threatened with being banned. Don't be so dramatic. Stick to the topic and everything will be fine. :)

GM Rikoo




-------------
Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk


Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 22:01
Then my question is:  What is happening with this quest?  Is it working properly and Epi et al have just not understood something or is is broken and going to be fixed?  Or broken and no fix planned?

All that is needed to satisfy most of us is a statement that the Quest is working properly.  Or its not and steps are being taken.  Or some other definite statement.


Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 22:45
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

I could care less about condolences, especially from the likes of someone like you, so keep the insults to yourself.
if i offered condolences, it was completely unintentional. if you were insulted by what i said...it's my assessment, you can disregard it if you like or read again what you posted and consider if it's really appropriate. i am mildly curious about the characteristics of "someone like me", but i suppose you'd better keep that to igm (for fear of the ban threats, etc...you know...).

Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

I guess one is considered offensive if one gets upset because one spends around 2 years trying to solve a mystery that the game makers haven't finished yet and haven't given an explanation why.
no, that was the self-pitying part. i allow that you have sometimes been the victim of persecution. that doesn't excuse your tendency to paint yourself as one when you're not. it's not as though everyone else got the answer and you were left off the list. if you've already determined that the game makers haven't finished the mystery (as you state above), then you have no need of GM Rikoo's answer and have nothing to do until an announcement is made. if you haven't, then you're simply slinging accusations to provoke a response, which is pretty poor form. worse things have been said here, but if you're going to throw your tantrum in public then you invite the public to comment.



Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 23:49
Sorry to double post, but wanted to put the new message close to the old ones which Epidemic recently put together on page 5 of this thread. http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/player-tournament-dont-get-eaten_topic5767_page21.html is the original post.



An ashen-faced quartermaster reports in at Fry
Sent By:     System
Received By:     Alcie [Roads]
Date:     22 Oct 2014 22:28
Your quartermaster knocks quietly at the door of your study.

He looks perturbed, and you beckon him to speak.

"My liege... I don't know how to put this.

I know you entrusted us to protect those foul and corrupted tentacles deep within the city stores - a task we have not taken lightly.

However, my liege, they're... they're gone. Vanished."

He takes you to the stores to show you, and gestures to the once sturdy but now partially broken glass jars that held each tentacle in preserving fluid.

"See? They've been taken. We've searched the entire area, but it's been more difficult than expected to see anything at this late hour - the thief must've planned this for the New Moon tonight!"

The quartermaster continues to talk as you survey the area - but a sudden chill runs down your spine as you realise that the way the shattered fragments of glass have fallen would suggest that they were shattered from the inside of the jar.

"Anyway", says the quartermaster, "We'll continue our search through the night and at first light tomorrow, though, don't you worry - the entire guard is out looking for this foolish thief!"

You return to your study, deep in thought.


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 00:57
What difference the new moon would make when the town is enshrouded in fog?
But the point is that something will now happen soon.
October 31st anyone?
All Hallows Eve.


Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 00:58
Well, hope there is time to send the reinforcements back ...


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 04:37
See what happens when I voice my anger in the forums...Now we have a new message, possibly clue to ponder.

My best guesses are once the corrupted units return to Audrey she'll attack and it'll be swift and ruinous or the FT lied the whole time and I have to track her down and slaughter her to get the 3rd crafting research or another clue that'll show me how to find the research.

Where is the FT tonight and has anybody spotted corrupted units on the map walking back to Audrey?


Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 20:03
ummm, any news?


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 19:26
No news to report...


Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 03:02
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

See what happens when I voice my anger in the forums...
/me squints.

no.


Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 02:06


When this is all done, one of us really has to make a guide with everything important in one place and links to the 50 forumns about this.

anyways, full moon made new things happen! I posted the full email here:    http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic5767_post81721.html#81721" rel="nofollow - New Message


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 07:11

The Captain of The Guard at Karak Drak reports in

Sent By:System
Received By:Epidemic [Siege]
Date:06 Nov 2014 01:17
Knocking softly on your door, the Captain of The Guard asks for a moment of your time.

"My liege, we've been receiving... what I can only describe as disturbing reports from the land around this fair city.

Villagers working outside the city have started... disappearing. We cannot find any trace of them anywhere.

When it was just a couple of villagers, the people believed that it was likely to be the work of wild animals - or perhaps a small pack of trolls travelling up from the South.

However, when reports came to my ears of a small village that had simply vanished in the night, I rode out to investigate.

It is as they say. There's simply no one there anymore; cooking pots and pans were still warm from the night's fire. Just... a dead village remained. No animals, no birds, no people. Nothing.

Nothing remains to indicate what has happened to the good people of the land, and the neighbouring townspeople are frightened.

We're at a loss as to what to do, frankly. Perhaps whatever is responsible will show itself in the light of day?"


He thanks you for your time, promises to report anything suspicious, and leaves you to your thoughts.


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 02:20

The Captain of The Guard at Karak Drak bring urgent news

Sent By:System
Received By:Epidemic [Siege]
Date:06 Nov 2014 23:23
The Captain of The Guard bangs urgently on your door.

"My liege, the horror has shown itself, and is outside the city walls!

We do not know what to do; it appears immune to our attacks!

We shall try and contain the monstrosity, so it does not spread it's filth any further afield; any military help you can give us to contain it in place would surely not be in vain!!"


He takes his leave, and dashes out of the castle.


Posted By: IbnSenna
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 16:10
While waiting for next moon phases, we should, I guess, enrich Illyriad's dictionary with new definitions, in order to help define the concept of 'soon™':

swift: adj. happening or moving quickly or within a short time
quickly: adv. within a short time, i.e. within the next moon cycle
'ruinous onslaught': expr. ominous passive occupation of suburban squares
'scant hours': expr. indeterminate number of hours, distributed on a number of moon phases


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 04:28
Old crone: adj+noun: bullsh!tter


Posted By: IbnSenna
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2014 at 10:36
bullsh!tter: n. dung shovellers job providers


Posted By: IbnSenna
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 06:50
Since Odd/Nesse are banned,
How should we manage our reinforcements?

  1. I think it would be foolish to recall and let free the corruption, so I' suggest to keep on at least till next new moon.
  2. It would be cool to get any reports concerning Audrey, tentacles, Fortune Teller, old crone…
    if anybody has sitting rights, does it still work?
    should we petition?
  3. Are there other places to help protect?
  4. If we lose the info and opportunity to get the racial crafting abilities, how do we organise a new attempt?
  5. Any other question that should be raised?


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 08:15
those are all valid questions - I think reinforcements are worth leaving in the towns simply to get copies of the combat reports.


Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 08:21
Hi Ibn Senna and all,
1. I think it would be interesting to have (at least) 1 town with no armies occupying nearby squares. This way (if the quest/corruption is still valid for them), we will see when it expands. Because we have other cities with occupying armies we don't know what is happening.
2. From what I understood, sitters have no access. But messages should be similar to any other towns doing the quest.
3. Shall we list all towns doing the quest? so that people can ask before sending reinforces/occupying armies. To avoid troops from different alliances on the same square (especially if they have no NAPs between them).
4. IF the quest would still be valid for Odd/Nesse cities, then maybe it would be good that these cities have a new owner soon ...
TH


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 21:46
Maybe we should do both; ask players to keep troops in the 2 cities in question, but have them remove the occupying forces around the city so we will have references in the future on what effect extra tentacles have on the quest. As far as I know, my 4 tentacles are the most on the map.

Another question is 'Do special discoveries transfer over when a city is conquered'?


Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 23:34
I don't think that matters. The messenger to your city said you had to defend the onslaught, and then there was one more step. Nesse won't be taking that step.


Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 02:54

There are currently at least 10 towns which are misty... at least two of those I guess are now lost... I am sure some of the ones left will volunteer information or work together.


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 06:11
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

I don't think that matters. The messenger to your city said you had to defend the onslaught, and then there was one more step. Nesse won't be taking that step.


I forgot about that. It probably would be best to abandon those towns to their fate, unless someone from the alliances can conquer the towns quickly and see if the quest will still work for them. I'd imagine quite a few players would be interested.


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 06:23
Well it looks like we have to wait for yet another full moon to see what happens, or most likely doesn't happen. This is all really quite dumb. Those of us who took the original FT messages seriously didn't have the commanders available to keep the silly tentacles in check. I doubt i'll have the commanders needed to keep the 4 tentacles in check for an entire month. You need to reread all the messages you sent us to understand how they don't make any sense whatsoever.

I want to officially change the title of this thread to 'The Worst Quest on Illyriad!'


Posted By: IbnSenna
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 06:55
Let's see if the corrupted sq. return to normal during new moon? and/or if during that period, one can attack them?


Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 14:20
Originally posted by Epidemic Epidemic wrote:

I doubt i'll have the commanders needed to keep the 4 tentacles in check for an entire month.



Some of the other players doing the quest have stopped surrounding their tentacles for quite awhile now and the tentacles did not expand anymore from the less than 4 that they started as. I think the first such experiment was a couple days after the full moon ended. So it is possible they only wanted to grow during the 4 days of the illy full moon.

So it might be alright if you stop surrounding them temporarily. It is a risk of course on the off chance something suddenly changes.

My sort-of-guess (for lack of any other ideas at all) is that they will either do something interesting in the next new moon or full moon or that they will start trying to grow again next full moon.


Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2014 at 00:51
My thoughts are in line with Alcie. But let's see if something happens before, at the new moon ...
TH


Posted By: IbnSenna
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 09:33
So… new moon is on.

has anybody noticed any move?

Around Nesse's Ivory Hall, nothing seems to have changed:
  • 2 corrupted squares, no throbbing, no decaying, immune to attack…
  • no attack against reinforcing army in city
Gave a look at Audrey, no obvious growth…

Has anybody from the shrouded cities sent spies to the new FT locations?


Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 09:45
I have sent today spies from an involved city. Still more than 12 hours left to arrive to the FT. I'll post what I get.
TH


Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:21
No change at my city Fry... I will try to reach fortune teller while the moon is still new, but it is too far away today. Scouting/etc. my own tentacles still does nothing.


Posted By: IbnSenna
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:32
Sorry, I'll try and get the new locations of FT tonight, post them sooner, tonight! (GMT+ 1 here…)



Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 00:55
As promised, this is the message I received from the FT when I sent spies from the city currently doing the longest quest ever:

Your diplomatic mission from XXXXX arrives at [-458|-563] in Lan Larosh.

The fortune teller's eyes go wide.

"I see you...

And I see your exceedingly skilled crafters.

Wait a moment."


She pauses in meditation, for what seems like hours, before suddenly jerking her head up and looking directly into your spies' eyes.

"You seek to learn the mystery of Master-Crafted Chainmail.

The next time I am with your kith, I will ask.

It will, however, cost you. Be prepared. I will be in touch."


Your diplomatic mission is heading home, alternately pondering and dismissing these words of wisdom.



Posted By: Belegar Ironhammer
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 17:48
I am hoping for this to be complete by 2016.


Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 18:00
So the last message was received 20 days ago?


Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2014 at 18:06
Originally posted by Belegar Ironhammer Belegar Ironhammer wrote:

I am hoping for this to be complete by 2016.


The next full moon is in a few days... so there is at least a teenie slim chance it will end in 2014.

I am planning to re-surround my tentacles in case they want to start spreading again during the full moon.

If any NAP near-ish me wants to send armies to defend my city Fry yet again, I would be grateful. Just in the hope that the full moon will cause an actual attack rather than merely tentacle spread...

If there is no attack this full moon   but if the tentacles on some cities (e.g. Entwash) grow to above 5, I suppose we can assume they will keep wanting to grow for at least 5 months since 20 tentacles escaped and 4 days of full moon per month >.< Let's hope something more interesting happens at the end of next week....    


Posted By: ropa
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2014 at 04:08
I'm so going to sleep


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 01 Dec 2014 at 22:26
A full moon will occur on the 6th. Will all those who want to participate in this extremely long quest please send reinforcements to one of the towns being attacked by Audrey. Thank you.


Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 23:31
Tentacle time in 2 days!


Posted By: Belegar Ironhammer
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 00:25
Troops enroute, Epi. Fingers crossed that something happens this time.


Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 19:28
Update - The full moon has been on for 19 hours now and here are some clues found so far.

Entwash - This town had 2 tentacles before the full moon, it went to 4 tentacles within a few hours of the full moon and has jumped to 6 tentacles as of 19 hours into full moon.

Theories - We're stuck with this quest for probably another 3 months.

Last full moon some of us got 4 tentacles spread over 4 days, this month possibly 8 tentacles over 4 days. Why another 3 months? 4 sets of tentacles = 4 months of tentacles + swift and ruinous Audrey attack...


Thumbs Down

Any thought and/or theories?



Posted By: IbnSenna
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2014 at 23:55
As already posted in http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic5767_post83471.html#83471 :
4 new tentacles around Nesse's Ivory Hall tonight, before midnight (Illy's server time)…



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net