Category: The World
Forum Name: Tournament VIII - The Ruby Jubilee
Forum Description: 8th Tournament - Details, progress, reports & awards
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5576
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 17:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Will the Tournament fizzle out?
Posted By: Trentonus
Subject: Will the Tournament fizzle out?
Date Posted: 11 May 2014 at 11:45

The tournament is now just past the half way stage and since most alliances only have a realistic chance of winning a regional prize I’m wondering whether it will largely fizzle out within the next week.

As I write 15 of the 37 regions have been decided (a single alliance has occupied them for more than 14 days) and a further 9 have had a single alliance holding the square for 10 days or more.
That would appear to leave only 13 as competitive.

Replies:
Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 11 May 2014 at 20:35
The "regional" alliances that have won their squares but have no chance of an overall win will either withdraw their troops or have them killed off by the "super-regional" alliances that are going for a global win.  The squares that have already been won will be the subject of bitter fighting between the 4-5 alliances who are vying for global honors.

Those squares that are geographically very remote might tend to stay pretty quiet.  Usually Larn gets pretty much no action ... ever.  Since VICX is vying for a global prize, there's a remote possibility that this tournament will be an exception.

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 11 May 2014 at 22:22
I'd expect those 13 squares to see casualties go through the roof. Alliances that don't care about ranking (total time) will start pulling troops from their victory squares and start trying to secure another square win.

I don't know if we will see mega-alliances try to sabotage each other's victory squares to ruin overall occupation time. I suppose it's possible.

Posted By: TomBombadil
Date Posted: 11 May 2014 at 23:20
Competition for 3rd place might be out of reach since nobody bothered to really attack VICX (a bunch of alliances would have been vying for 3rd place had someone done so earlier on).
Some of the regional prizes are still a long way from being won, and alliances not in the run for global prizes still have a chance at winning 1 or 2 of those.

The competition for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd itself might also get very interesting if people start attacking the leading alliances just for fun (my troops certainly won't be spared a bloody death just because they can't fight for 3rd place anymore.. the blood tax must be paid!).

Posted By: Gossip Boy
Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 02:21
Originally posted by TomBombadil TomBombadil wrote:

Competition for 3rd place might be out of reach since nobody bothered to really attack VICX (a bunch of alliances would have been vying for 3rd place had someone done so earlier on).

They weren't getting hit at their 3 squares and Absa decided to 'gift' trome to them.
Surely the end of competition for 3rd place.

VicX have lost more troops in elijal without holding it for a day than their casualties at all other squares. That's a sign I believe!

-------------
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove

Posted By: scaramouche
Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 12:01
the tourney squares should of been relocated after each week like the last tourney...this would give others a chance to be more involved...fixing them continuously to one tile for the duration only allows the biggest alliances to camp it out in numbers and wait till the end.

I'm TAKING A PETITION to 10 Downing street and will be standing outside David Camerons house with my banner in protest to this.

-------------
NO..I dont do the Fandango!

Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 12 May 2014 at 18:05
Originally posted by scaramouche scaramouche wrote:

the tourney squares should of been relocated after each week like the last tourney...this would give others a chance to be more involved...fixing them continuously to one tile for the duration only allows the biggest alliances to camp it out in numbers and wait till the end.
it's not only that, but also that the terrain varies in each region when the tourney square changes.

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 15:36
Originally posted by scaramouche scaramouche wrote:

Fixed tourney squares gives value to Illy's real estate. Like the trade hubs and the heart of corruption. Fixed tournament squares is a good feature to have. 

On the other hand, it may be nice to turn all tournament squares to 'plains'. That will avoid the problem of the biggest alliances camping out in numbers and waiting till the end.

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 16:13
I really enjoy tournaments, but that doesn't mean I want to be 1.5 squares away from the tournament action EVERY tourney.  I think it's good to mix it up and have some tourneys with fixed squares and other tourneys with squares that change every week.

Posted By: geofrey
Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 19:21
Originally posted by Gossip Boy Gossip Boy wrote:

Originally posted by TomBombadil TomBombadil wrote:

They weren't getting hit at their 3 squares and Absa decided to 'gift' trome to them.
Surely the end of competition for 3rd place.

VicX have lost more troops in elijal without holding it for a day than their casualties at all other squares. That's a sign I believe!

Elijal will be mine. 

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/45534" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 13 May 2014 at 19:50
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

I think it's good to mix it up and have some tourneys with fixed squares and other tourneys with squares that change every week.

Totally! The tournaments on fixed squares should be done only once in a year and on a fixed date (Illy anniversary or Geomancer Herrolf's birthday). 

Other additional tournaments could be inventive in any other ways - like skeletons that came out of stone circles or collecting anatomy parts.

Posted By: Altrix
Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 04:39
I think mixing it up is a good idea although I don't mind the one square for the whole period types.

I'm still voting for a siege and raze type of tourney :)

Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 15:18
Originally posted by Altrix Altrix wrote:

I think mixing it up is a good idea although I don't mind the one square for the whole period types.

I'm still voting for a siege and raze type of tourney :)

Agreed. A "All of these sit accounts are now abandoned and can't be used anymore. The King has ordered a reward for the alliance who sieges the most cities. Rules of the camp do not apply. Only members of the same alliance can reinforce each other. 

-------------

Posted By: bansisdead
Date Posted: 14 May 2014 at 18:22
A sat account isn't a perma-sat account.  The game shouldn't change so it discriminates against those who cannot log on every 90 days because of other commitments, such as working away, prison, or controlling wives...

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/124253" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 15 May 2014 at 00:52
The DEVs could create towns specifically for this type of tournament and stack them with different types of troops, ones not seen before in Elgea. I don't know much about code writing so this might not be possible for the DEVs to do.
It could also be done with abandoned accounts and not accounts that are being sat bansisdead, in order to remove all of the abandoned towns lying around the map (would also help to create more space which players have been complaining about!).

Posted By: Cilcain
Date Posted: 15 May 2014 at 12:32
Originally posted by Altrix Altrix wrote:

The DEVs could create towns specifically for this type of tournament and stack them with different types of troops, ones not seen before in Elgea. I don't know much about code writing so this might not be possible for the DEVs to do.

Good idea.  They could perhaps use the Factions, i.e. set up Faction towns, each with different troop types.

Some factions could be 'aligned' with some alliances, and 'enemies' of others.  Alliances could then defend the aligned Factions' towns, and siege the enemy Faction towns.  This could possibly bring together alliances usually at odds with each other to work for a common cause during the tourney....

The tourney would then be scored on how many aligned Faction towns remain at the end.  I guess you could even capture enemy Faction towns to increase the score.....

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/77750" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 15 May 2014 at 14:25
elijal is resisting. Resistance is Futile. 

-------------

Posted By: Cilcain
Date Posted: 15 May 2014 at 14:39
It's certainly not fizzling out as per the OP.  Is Elijal the square with the most casualties yet?  Doing my Comms the world of good too!

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/77750" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 16 May 2014 at 03:33
Originally posted by Cilcain Cilcain wrote:

Some factions could be 'aligned' with some alliances, and 'enemies' of others.  Alliances could then defend the aligned Factions' towns, and siege the enemy Faction towns.  This could possibly bring together alliances usually at odds with each other to work for a common cause during the tourney....

The tourney would then be scored on how many aligned Faction towns remain at the end.  I guess you could even capture enemy Faction towns to increase the score.....

I like this idea very much, especially the implementation of factions being more active in Elgea.

As for the topic of this OP lots of squares are still getting fought over strongly with many extra casualties being added each day. You can see that some of the squares have stopped or have very little action but others, where alliances still have a chance at first place, are being hit hard. Just take a look at Norweld (I think its that square) which has over 4mil troops lost with about half of that in the past week!

Posted By: Trentonus
Date Posted: 18 May 2014 at 13:05

With less than a week to go until the end of tournament all but 11 of the regional prizes have been won and no alliance without existing occupation time on the remaining competitive squares can win a regional square.

The remaining competitive regions are as follows:

Arran

Invictus vs Night Squires with Invictus within 12 hours of victory.

Azura

Invictus 4 days ahead of Slaves to Armok.

Elijal

Victrix  3 day lead over Invictus, The Crows Wings and Pending.

Kul Tar

Valiant Crows 1 day lead over Fire of Heaven, Eight Hand Crows in contention.

Meilla

Pending 3 day lead over Murder of Crows and Calquendi Crows.

Norweld

Murder of Crows tight lead over Aesir, Elysian Fields in theoretical contention.

Rill Archipelago

Slaves to Armok 3 day lead over Invictus.

Stormstone Island

Elysian Fields tight lead over Illy Training Ground, Murder of Crows still in contention.

Tallimar

Shrapnel's FDU within 12 hours of victory over Invictus.

Tor Corrock

Elysian Fields less than a day from victory over Skeleton Boar.

Turalia

Absaroke less than a day from victory over Praevaleo.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net