Print Page | Close Window

Corrupted Tentacles

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: The World
Forum Name: Trade Chat
Forum Description: Discuss harvesting, crafting and trade on Elgea here.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5344
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 05:36
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Corrupted Tentacles
Posted By: Epidemic
Subject: Corrupted Tentacles
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 00:05
I'm in the process of trying to gather 5 corrupted tentacles from each race. Anyone who wants to trade contact me ingame or here.

Anyone interested in working together and sharing the tentacles for the purpose of making the discovery and cornering the market contact me through IGMs.

Replies:
Posted By: Darkwords
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 09:26
I would help, but I am trying to do the same.  Just need 4 dwarven ones to complete the collection.

-------------
<Deranzin> I'd agree with darkone on that

[21:59]<ropadope> you know I am perverted

<Bartleby> dark is upsetting some peeps

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 10:07
hmmm....  big question is: Will they vanish, or stay to make next player happy?

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 10:31
That is a big question, yes.

I imagine the devs are aware of how many there are in total, and there are very few dwarven ones by the looks of it, so I expect they will stay, otherwise it would end up with only a few players being able to produce these things, which may unbalance the game a little.

-------------

Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 10:51
Let's hope they will not disappear, but I believe that they are gonna be lost.
One way to solve this, is try to have Audrey beat again ...
Anyway, Torshavn has several human tentacles if someone needs them.
TH

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 17:49
Just siege and capture the city of whoever gets the discovery.  Why do all that pesky work?

Evil Smile

Posted By: Vanerin
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 19:39
Less talking, more sieging!

Date Posted: 06 Dec 2013 at 19:44
LOL Rill.

-------------

Posted By: Tyrande Whisperwinds
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 11:48
Did you guys managed to collect and send the tentacles already?
if so, did they vanished? or can they be used again?

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 12:08
Unfortunately there seems to be a shortage of dwarven tentacles.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 13:26
Would give you one if i had any at all :(

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 16:38
Yeah, it was super stingy giving up tentacles for me.  I had ~ 100 attacks sent at me the first go round and not one tentacle dropped.  Angry

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/26125" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 17:03
How big were the attack waves?

I can't remember, when Audrey is beating, do you send units to Audrey or to those three temples? And does anyone know the temple locations?

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 17:53
Sent to the temples and to audrey.

Waves were between 10 and 500 each.  I did mostly send diplomats so that might be a consideration.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 17:53
look at HoC on the map, the temples are right by it.  I have always sent units to the HoC itself.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 17:57
There is a thread that details all the information.  I think the initial one started by Scott Fitz about 60 plus pages long.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 19:25
if the tentacles go puff..
this is going to be the most retarded discovery EVER...
1. you cant do it alone..because there is no way one person alone can make Audrey beat alone...specially if said person is on the other side of the map...
2. Even if u try to send troops to Audrey when its beating, there´s no garantee that u get anything...because of random drops..and because that if u´re too far away, ur troops might not even get there in time!! (my armies take 4 days to get to audrey.... and last time i read, he only beat for 2 days....)
3. A discovery that takes years to unlock (Audrey is beating like once a year?) for not so great armor...

i feel disappointed so far... i honestly hope that the first person who can complete this step of the challenge can make a post telling that the tentacles are not wasted...

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 19:36
This is why I said in another thread, I doubt very much that these items will disappear.  You can also consider that the fortune teller says that you must prove you can collect rare items, she does not say that you have to give them away.

However, most people seem to be of the mind that they will disappear, I am not sure what this idea is based on other than paranoia.

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 20:03
Arghhh..is it possible that no one has some tasty dwarf body parts (tentacles ppl!!! what were u thinking) so darkwords here can serve as our guinea pig? i mean, trusty researcher ^^

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 20:42
Maybe once the task is complete the discovery will be unlocked for everyone?  Since it requires cooperation from a whole bunch of people to accomplish?

Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 20:48
The human armor is versatile and can be produced in large quantities. The elven bow is extremely powerful.

I like that it isn't an individual quest. It's a server scale quest.

Posted By: Arakamis
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 21:35
why do i need dwarven tentacles to produce an elven bow? or human tentacles for a dwarven armor.. this is a fail if you ask me..

Posted By: Tatharion
Date Posted: 12 Dec 2013 at 21:42
Originally posted by Brandmeister Brandmeister wrote:

The human armor is versatile and can be produced in large quantities. The elven bow is extremely powerful.

I like that it isn't an individual quest. It's a server scale quest.

....As opposed to the current server scale war?? 

-------------
Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 00:42
Tatharion, I don't understand your point. The devs created the supreme item quest as a server scale quest. Developer-provided quests have absolutely nothing to do with alliances declaring war on each other.

Arakamis, I have the mail from the crone, and it implies there are some kind of knowledge guardians who want the tentacles. Quests like the Labors of Hercules are a common trope in RPGs. Also, it makes the requirement the same for everyone, and requires considerable teamwork.

Honestly, didn't anyone find it odd that there was a group of people who suddenly wanted to start feeding Audrey? I'd be inclined to believe at least a few of them had made the crone discovery and needed tentacles.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 02:01
Your gatekeepers report that a wizened old woman arrived earlier in the day at New Settlement.

She did not enter the city but instead pressed a note into the hands of the gate officer, saying "Give this to your master. He is expecting it."

She left immediately without further word; shuffling off down the road with surprising speed.

The note reads:

"I have spoken with those whom I mentioned; those who guard the secret ways of Duraz Karag.

They may be willing to share their secret, if you prove yourself worthy.

If you still seek this knowledge then there are three tasks you must complete to prove your worth.

Firstly, you must prove your ability to collect unusual materials.

Procure the following items in the following quantities:
x5
x5
x5
x5

When you have at least these quantities of these items in your town's inventory, send a messenger Messengers from New Settlement to the great hall of Duraz Karag at [-203|-122] in Tor Carrock.

Do not fail in this, for your reputation is at risk."

There is no signature on the note.

I dont see anything in that which eludes to the idea they will take the tentacles.

-------------

Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 02:42
I've got 5 human and 5 elf tentacles now, thank you to those who provided them. I'm now looking for 5 orc and dwarf tentacles, though it seems the dwarven are extremely rare. IGM me if you're willing to trade or pool resources.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 09:41

I beg to differ. For all the trouble required, i would say the elven spirit bow is quite weak, stats wise...
I just MUST have..cause, you know.. GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL! ;)

Posted By: Elmindra
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 11:52
Yep, the elven bow is only better in defense by a varying amount of 6-12% depending on the day/night cycle while only being better in attack by a varying amount of 0-6%.  It's only saving grace is the material required to create, seeing that 1 larken and 1 herb is fairly common and inexpensive.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 13:53
Elven Spirit Bow [@c=71] (-12% Attack, -6% Cav Def, -6% Spear Def, -6% Bow Def, -6% Sword Def, +5% Move Speed, -18% in Arctic, -18% in Desert, -18% in Jungle, +6% in Day, +24% for Elves)
Adding those up, I see a general purpose +18% defense at night, +24% defense in daytime, in all non-exotic biomes, for all terrains. That is extremely powerful for an inexpensive item that can be produced on a large scale. Used for city defense, where the recovery rate is 100%, that is a permanent +18/24 bonus to sentinels and trueshots, which are already powerful general-purpose defenders.

The bow's attack stats are irrelevant. It generally isn't worthwhile using crafted items on attack armies, unless it's cheap items like racial swords or dwarven battle mules.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 14:46

Elven Spirit Bow [@c=71] (-12% Attack, -6% Cav Def, -6% Spear Def, -6% Bow Def, -6% Sword Def, +5% Move Speed, -18% in Arctic, -18% in Desert, -18% in Jungle, +6% in Day, +24% for Elves)
Adding those up, I see a general purpose +18% defense at night, +24% defense in daytime, in all non-exotic biomes, for all terrains. That is extremely powerful for an inexpensive item that can be produced on a large scale. Used for city defense, where the recovery rate is 100%, that is a permanent +18/24 bonus to sentinels and trueshots, which are already powerful general-purpose defenders.

The bow's attack stats are irrelevant. It generally isn't worthwhile using crafted items on attack armies, unless it's cheap items like racial swords or dwarven battle mules.

Nono..i think you got it wrong...
(-12% Attack, -6% Cav Def, -6% Spear Def, -6% Bow Def, -6% Sword Def, +5% Move Speed, -18% in Arctic, -18% in Desert, -18% in Jungle, +6% in Day,+24% for Elves)

1. it CAN´T be used on ANY biome )i mean, unless u want 18% penalty)

2. conclusion, the max defense u get from using it is:
 - daytime : 24 = (+24 from being an elf - 6% from every type of defense + 6% daytime)
 - nighttime : 18 = (24 from being an elf - 6% all defenses)
biome daytime : 6 (+24 from being an elf - 6% from every type of defense + 6% daytime - 18% all biomes)
biome nightime... dont wanna mention it...

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 15:32
I meant in comparison to general terrain items above, but forgot to type that.  Not a bad bow, but completely not worth the crazy effort it appears it will take.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 16:00

Adding those up, I see a general purpose +18% defense at night, +24% defense in daytime, in all non-exotic biomes, for all terrains.

@Ty: By non-exotic, I meant biomes that weren't jungle, arctic or desert.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 16:10
Originally posted by Elmindra Elmindra wrote:

I meant in comparison to general terrain items above, but forgot to type that.  Not a bad bow, but completely not worth the crazy effort it appears it will take.

I disagree.

The most common city terrain is plains. Plains bows require scaled charger vertebrae. Scaled chargers are (relatively) tough for NPCs, and the vertebrae have a low drop rate, making them expensive in the market. Present Centrum prices are 7500, and there are only 519 for sale. That's barely enough for 5 elite bow divisions of 100 troops, and they would be limited to plains city defense.

Larken wood is cheap and plentiful. A military player could feasibly equip several thousand bow units in a city with Elven Spirit Bows. That army could defend a city built on any terrain.

In short: the material is cheap, the bonus is big, the restrictions are few, and the flexibility is good. Therefore I conclude that the Elven Spirit Bow would be worth building in large quantities.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 16:33
Um don't mean to be disrespectful, but I would NEVER defend my city with bows on plains, even behind a wall.  If it's a cavalry attack I would just dodge and let them by, if it's a direct siege attack I would simply stack the town with spears since they are better vs cavalry and a cheaper kill per upkeep/training time. 

Elven bows are best used defending sieges in buildings or on mountains, or attacking sieges on the same terrain.  I would use the elven spirit bow in elite groups in said buildings, but would probably use a cheaper mountain bow for the mountains.

Now if I had a magical 7 food mountain, your scenario would be spot on.  But vs cavalry inc to my plains town, pikes and reinforced is the only equip I would even use.

As for the charger parts, I have the advantage of being surrounded by chargers all the time up here in Wolgast, so they are very easy to gather even with the bad drop rate, and while they are tough, when you target them on plains with your T2 cav it makes a very easy kill.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 17:35
Cities also get attacked by infantry and bows, even plains cities.

Sentinels are cheap to build, and are flexible units that can be used for both city and siege defense. In specific situations (against spears, on mountains), they can be deliver a solid attack as well. Their terrain adjusted cavalry def/min on plains is 2.13. With the spirit bow, that's 2.64 (day) and 2.51 (night).

That def/hour compares favorably with a t2 phalanx at 2.77, and far exceeds the t1 protector at 1.78. A phalanx is a single-purpose anti-cavalry unit that costs 2 spear, 1 leather, 1 chain. The sentinel's 1 beer and 1 bow are obviously far cheaper; both have an upkeep of 2/hr.

You can argue the case for pikes boosting the phalanx to 3.21. I don't know many people who have large arsenals of pikes (3000+). I believe the spirit bow will be easier to produce in large quantities, since it depends on Larken Wood and not Wolf Fur. Both the sentinel and the phalanx can equip reinforced leather, so that's a wash.

I'd probably also dodge a cavalry attack against a plains city defended by sentinels (or spears for that matter). But if I were trying to deplete the enemy of cavalry, I'd certainly consider taking the hit using the sentinels and the spirit bow. It's a win for both build cost and build time.

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 17:54
Its a special unlock..the doubt of wether another weapon is better or not shouldnt even exist!
And i stand my grd... the elven spirit bow is NOT a great weapon..
but..like i said..
GOTTA CATCH ´EM ALL!!! ;)

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 20:44
I have 1k pikes for almost every one of my towns.  Coupled with 1k T2 spears per town (generally, my numbers are a bit off due to current hostilites) bleeding cavalry isn't a problem.  Although I prefer to simply calculate return times and meet the attacking cavalry back at their place with my own cavalry but that's just me.  My sents are cheap and easy, but I prefer to use them guarding my cats while I raze your towns.  No need to waste them on a horrible defense from you taking my basics.

Simply put, for the insane effort involved the spirit bow is very dissapointing is all I am saying.

-------------

Posted By: Sir Bradly
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 20:55
Lets face it, most of the crafted gear is a disappointment.  Especially the race specific items.  Look at the human "traditional sword".  Its best bonus is derived when using infantry to defend on plains terrain.  So the sword is essentially useless to build.  Not to mention the opportunity cost of tying up your blacksmith while you build them.

Battlebred Horse is is same thing.  20% bonus on plains defence.  Again, not the most effective use of a Knight army.  

-------------
[04:46]<HATHALDIR> okay,I'm a bully

Date Posted: 13 Dec 2013 at 22:10
Originally posted by Sir Bradly Sir Bradly wrote:

Battlebred Horse is is same thing.  20% bonus on plains defence.  Again, not the most effective use of a Knight army.

I assume you'd use Battlebreds on chariots for plains defense, given that chariots are cheaper to build for humans, and not much worse than knights for plains defense. But even with the bonus, the numbers per upkeep and build time just don't add up. Battlebreds seem to be a bust.

Dwarven Battle Mules, however... you just can't go wrong!

Posted By: Arakamis
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 08:55
I'm not against quests requiring the involvement of all races, not in a race specific discovery quest though. Meaningless.

Posted By: DeathDealer89
Date Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 16:43
Is this race specific I assumed each race would discover their own special equipment?

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 16:49
My fortune teller and crone quest is for the Dwarven Champion armor. So I'd say that it's race specific.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net