Print Page | Close Window

Lost GMs

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Strategies, Guides & Help
Forum Name: General Questions
Forum Description: If your gameplay question isn't answered in the help files, please post it here.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=5191
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 05:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lost GMs
Posted By: allamagoosa
Subject: Lost GMs
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 00:38
Has anyone seen or heard from the GMs recently? Are your petition support needs being met? I never see them online and my petitions are always  listed as unassigned. 

Sadly I must say I am really disappointed in the lack of response from GMs. I can understand people being under heavy deadlines and busy but I would also say that other things (like petitions) shouldn't be put down on the priority list as far they seem to have been moved. There should be a better balance in my opinion.

From my point of view I would rather see a Badlands deployment delayed until 2014 and some user support now.

So I post this question for folks.

What are your thoughts?

=Allamagoosa (Angry and Confused)

Replies:
Posted By: Jane DarkMagic
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 00:49
I completely agree with everything Allamagoosa said.  There are glitches being exploited and they just ignore them.  It's very frustrating.

Posted By: st aug
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 01:16
Who's cares about the gm's anyway. I sure don't they can do what ever they want just like the rest of us. They don't have to do anything for anybody its there game they control it . I never was crazy about the idea of so called people that made and control the game even playing it. But its there game and they have the power. I wish we would never see them to tell the truth. I can do with out the blue letter people with with no problem. There humans and dealing with the real life like everybody so give them a break and leave them alone. They don't owe anybody nothing.

Posted By: ES2
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 01:39
LOL

-------------
Eternal Fire

Posted By: GM Luna
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 02:00
We are still here. Alive and well, just busy (sorry for the quiet lately). 

If you have a petition open that's still affecting gameplay, update it. Noone's ignoring exploits, but you do have to actually go through the proper channels.

Thanks.

-Luna

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 02:24
I posted it 2 weeks ago, as well as a forum thread.  If you want details about the exploit, talk to Maccam or demdigs and who knows how many others.

Posted By: Salararius
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 02:38
Petition #8814 was opened in late March because I had 15,000 troops disappear from my city without any reason, notification, etc...  On 4/4 I asked what was going on with the petition.  Never got any response and it's still open. It seems pointless to continue asking what is going on through official channels but I'll try here just out of curiosity.

I have plenty of other petitions that were just ignored (still marked as New) and only one other that was acknowledged (but never resolved).  There were a couple that got quick response and resolution too but only 10-20% of the total petitions filed.  All of which is fine, but I agree with the OP and would point out to Luna that the "official system" isn't really being used near 100% by the company.

Just like any business, the owners can and should do what they want.  It's also perfectly reasonable for the customers to talk about both what they like and do not like about the product.  Decent business owners appreciate that sort of feedback.  Customers should never discourage polite feedback from other customers as it's in the best interest of everyone.

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 02:48
Originally posted by Jane DarkMagic Jane DarkMagic wrote:

I posted it 2 weeks ago, as well as a forum thread.  If you want details about the exploit, talk to Maccam or demdigs and who knows how many others.

This is why you need to go through the petition queue and only post about bugs that are affecting your account. We don't go through third parties on these things. The issue you are talking about was addressed as soon as it came up, directly with the player whom it affected and no one else. 

Now if there is something else happening, or if it is affecting your account, you need to open a new petition explaining, please. 

GM Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 02:53
I hate this game...

Posted By: REX_GAMBIT
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 03:09
The siege bug Allamagoosa is talking about has been there for 3 months at least. I filed petition when I was sitting an account (date of petition 04/10/13). Now the petition says under investigation but it took almost a month to respond to the petition. During the time said player disappeared and the towns are gone. This bug has started to appear since siege rules were updated. 
Luna, when I joined game I used to see a GM in chat at least once a week or so, it encouraged me to stay illy. I don't remember seeing a GM in last couple of months. All I am saying is few more visits from GMs would be definitely appreciated.

Posted By: Llyr
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 03:36
Expecting people to resubmit petitions is delusional thinking. If I have a complaint about a company, product or service and I choose to complain, I will only do it once. If no one is listening, I'm not about to keep banging my head against a wall. One definition of insanity is repeating actions and expecting different outcomes.

There has been some discussion and debate about the ongoing decline in the number of active players in the game. While there are probably a large number of causes, I'm quite sure that there are two main ones:

1. Announcements of "new things" that never seem to appear (new schools of magic, Broken Lands, and probably others I'm not aware of).

2. Ongoing inability to resolve player concerns (i.e. continuously ignored petitions).

I've chosen to continue in the game despite these issues (for now), but it seems quite obvious that others have chosen to look elsewhere for their gaming fix.

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/187558" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 03:51
Legitimate concerns but there are a lot of reasons why we need to be updated on what bugs are still affecting people. Tons of petitions are based on misunderstandings or have issues that are resolved in a game update w/o the specific petition being closed.

I'm just trying to make suggestions as to what can be helpful to us. It goes without saying that the system isn't perfect.

Luna

-------------

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 04:09
My 2 cents, which is about what it's worth: The GM's are working behind the scenes to get their update out before the end of the year. They are probably cursing the fact that they announced "sometime in 2013" as a deadline by now...lol. That DOES make me laugh. Anyway, they don't have time to "chat" so that's why you haven't seen them.

As for the petition system, it seems to me the issues have been addressed in a direct manner. By that I mean they have "fixed" the issues that affect game play and they have done so for those players that it has affected. Other players, on the peripheral (sitters of abandoned accounts, spectators) have no reason to file a petition and so shouldn't. The community liason has stated numerous times that problems should be sent through channels to get addressed. This doesn't seem very mysterious to me. If you have a problem that AFFECTS YOUR GAME PLAY, file a petition. If it is not addressed update the petition. Sounds simple. Saying "ask this other guy" clearly shows that it is not affecting you directly.

I don't want to piss you guys off (the other players who have posted here) but I just had to say something. From my point of view, this game is being operated quite well considering the way it is set up (free). There are issues that I'd like to see fixed, or rather changed but that's just my preference. I even have a couple of petitions pending that "could" be addressed but they don't affect game play (a wall shows the wrong level, for example).

I really hope you can get past this. Jane, if you truly hate this game, you should quit. But don't quit. You're a great player and many more important players than I would miss you. I don't want you to quit. I only say that cuz it's a game fer crap's sake. There are so many better things you could be doing with that time than hating. But if you like playing this game and you want to stick around you should just let this go because it's not going to change.

Maybe we should figure out a way to start another war. That last one was great. It would be a great distraction from all this frustrating fluff, don't ya think?

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 04:46
Luna,

I understand that many petitions filed have been misunderstandings. Certainly I have filed some that were ignorance on my part. Although if a petition is a mistake of the filers part I would think you could more easily and successfully address the bug and close it out. 

But when petitions are filed for repeatable problems that are clearly bugs and I see that petitions are chronically Unassigned I get discouraged. The closest I can get is "Acknowledged and Under Investigation" but "Unassigned". I update the petitions to no result.

I gather most of my petitions are not received well by the GMs as many are New and Unassigned and some are coming up on 1 year old but the petitions that are true bugs that prevent me from acquiring cities shouldn't be ignored and I wish the GMs were doing more to address them.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to the forum although to be blunt I wish you would take a look at my recent petitions.

Cheers,

-A

Posted By: DeathDealer89
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 05:21
I agree with the petition problems.  I've seen several that say 'unassigned' after months or over a year and I just give up and assume that it will never get taken care of.  In fact I remember some players having sov problems that the 'fix' was them exodusing their city.  Sad part is after months of rebuilding they still fixed the problem faster than the devs.  Lets face it thats not a quality product.  

@ abstract, no matter how you spin it many people agree the petition system should be of 'primary' concern to devs.  Above Broken Lands.  

Also this game isn't free if you pay for prestige.  And people who would buy prestige but don't because they have some bug that leaves them with half a city don't tend to buy it.  

Posted By: Aurordan
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 05:32
How many people?  I count like, single digits, so far.  The only significant issue I've seen people citing is the sov. system, which has been pretty much fixed.  Can we at least reduce the complaining?  

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 05:49
Originally posted by Aurordan Aurordan wrote:

Can we at least reduce the complaining?

The people who complain are the ones who actually care and would like to see this game be successful. The ones who don't complain just go elsewhere.

-------------

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 06:00
Bonfyr, the bug that Allamagoosa is citing, just as an example, caused people to be unable to capture a city, which was then reduced to rubble.  Even with a new siege army it still could not be captured.  Then it happened again to at least one other person.  That's a fairly significant gameplay issue.  At minimum a response of "ouch we're really sorry this happened and we're looking into it" would seem to be in order -- and would probably help Allamagoosa feel much better about it.  Of course the time putting in such a note needs to be weighed against the time to actually fix a problem, but the person writing the note could also have a different skillset than the person writing the code (and probably be paid a lot less).

I think Luna has acknowledged that there is an issue here.  I have a lot of confidence in the developers and believe they will be able to develop a means of addressing this.  But if we don't let them know how much it bothers us, they might not make it a priority -- so posting this gives them the opportunity to be responsive, and I think it's a constructive thing.

Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 08:01
I've written 6 petitions in the little over 2 years I've been here. 4 are closed, 1 is New and 1 is Acknowledged, Under Investigation.

The New one is about a siege glitch that allowed a Crow to attack with catapults from over 200 squares away. I'm hoping that was fixed, unless the devs favor Crows, and i'm updating it to ask Luna to close it. I'm sure she'll close it down by Monday at the latest.

The Acknowledged, Under Investigation one I will probably keep open for good because that is the one that affects me the most, the lag that I sometimes get.

I can't complain, because they are constantly updating the game. True, most we don't know about, but an update is still an update.

Now, how about bringing out live factions, more mysteries, 6 month story arcs, global npc migration and leave BL till 2014...

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 14:25
Want examples? Without giving specifics, cuz let's face it, my memory is pretty crappy most of the time...
Petitions from several players filed reporting rules violations...acknowledged, taken care of and closed within a week. Petitions filed by a couple of players about sieging a city while in Exodus...acknowledged, taken care of and closed within a week. A petition filed about a wide spread Cotter issue...issue fixed for everyone, closed. A petition filed for a city wall being labeled the wrong level...acknowledged, under investigation, unassigned...I just don't care that much...updated once or twice...it's been a year plus. No game play issues. Let it gooooo.

EDIT: There's gonna be issues with any system. When a petition is overlooked, update it. Things take time. As for "free", it is a fact that this is a FREE game. Prestige purchasing is voluntary. NOT REQUIRED. I buy now and then, but I don't need to. And I too have some issues that I would like to see changed and feel like my money SHOULD talk, but it doesn't. I either throw up my hands and go away unsatisfied or resolve to play within the confines of these issues. I chose the latter. BTW, this issue is getting waaay more attention than the issue I mentioned.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: twilights
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 17:12
this can all be resolved by making me a memeber of the staff team...i promise i will toally confuse the players and never give a serious answer or any solution of value...wait, i already do all that...its a game, dont take it too serious! just have fun! its a great game devs....just give us something to do....factions and pathfinding...i can wait, just do it right! i need more things to spend prestige on!

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 17:49
...its a game, dont take it too serious! just have fun! its a great game devs...

I don't take it too seriously. I am simply asking that a bug that prevents me from sieging cities be addressed or at least acknowledged.

I would say it used to be a great game and now is only a good game as they aren't addressing serious bugs. In my case they aren't even acknowledging them so it is fast becoming a game I simply can't play.

It sounds like most people aren't having this experience and I think that is great but don't harp on the folks that are experiencing bugs and are requesting they be addressed.

But don't worry. Unless the bug is fixed I will soon be leaving the game. I am just hoping they address the issue before I decide to leave. Or if I can find a work around.

-A

Posted By: Mahaut
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 18:03
There is so much more that has been promised in Elgea, shipping, roads, magic etc and of course the ready supply of bugs that I would very much like to see all of those things addressed before attempting something new like Broken Lands - which will in and of itself be buggy as new things always are. 
Some Vicx players have several outstanding petitions - many of which affect gameplay quite a bit (troops vanishing, queues not starting etc, buildings downsizing when nothing is in negative and full warehouses) and it's very discouraging to players to see the petitions sometimes acknowledged (sometimes not) but nothing done.
Difficult to imagine many of the players with long outstanding petitions will bother with Broken Lands at all under those circumstances.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 18:19
I've only seen one player post on here about an issue that directly affects said player. Everything else is second hand at best.

A, I must say, if what you say is true (and I have no doubt it is) you have a legit beef. Not being able to carry out a siege to one of the two intended outcomes is indeed a big deal. If you are being overlooked, I would bet that ends here. If there is something else causing the delay in fixing this, not enough information from your end for example, I would hope the Dev team would respond and ask for more info. If worse comes to worse they could spectate as you attempt to replicate the issue. Surely something can be done. I think you have probably done all you can but don't let up. "Squeaky wheel" and all that, ya know?

Just remember no system is flawless. Personally, I believe the Dev team is doing the best job they know how. This is not the kinda work one would do if ones main goal was to climb the corporate ladder. There has to be a certain amount of passion involved to want to do this. I would imagine every failure is taken somewhat personally and this is no exception. Have patience and don't quit.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 18:21
And now, having stroked the Dev's egos enough for one day, I'd like to say one more thing:

PATHFINDING!

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Epidemic
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 18:53
Dumb question, but i'm still putting it out there...Have you done all the necessary researches to carry out a siege?

And for the record, my updated petition just went from NEW to Acknowledged, Under Investigation in under 10 hours.

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 19:58
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

And now, having stroked the Dev's egos enough for one day, I'd like to say one more thing:

PATHFINDING!

Aieee!  He has used the forbidden word that must not be spoken of.  Smite him!

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 20:17
Not lost, have been surveying Rill Archipelago from above:

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 22:12
So we get Paragliders next ?!   Now I see how we'll travel to BL  LOL

And I have to state, that Illy is one of  the more stable games online... there are games with less complexity with far more downtime.

Yes, I myself have some open petitions, but that happens. Most minor petitions often would result in quite some work, and I dare say, those might be seen, filed under "as soon as we find the time", and there they stay Wink

Of course there also are problems which block important features, thus there should be a way to push those in front of the minor ones... (a difficult task, as everyone sees his problem as the most important... Tongue).

Updating the petitions, as mentioned by Luna, might not be the intended procedure, but is a way to annoy the GMs into answering...   I can imagine a HUGE load of updates as soon as Luna posted this Confused

Thus... keep on the good work, and perhaps you could do a round of allover bug fixing right after BL and right before introducing Pathfinding...  LOL

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2013 at 22:34
------------------

Dumb question, but i'm still putting it out there...Have you done all the necessary researches to carry out a siege?

------------------

Answer,

Yes, I have all the technology. I have successfully sieged in the past. I just can't do it anymore.

I have now retested this bug with 2 different cities, 3 different armies, and 4 separate siege events.

I even have a screen shot of one army sieging and returning home at exactly the same time. This army continues to ping pong back and forth now from my home town and the city.

I have been a squeaky wheel in stages. Starting out with petitions several weeks ago to this forum thread in the hopes the GMs would take pity and just simply acknowledge I have a problem rather then leaving the petitions "unassigned".

I know no game is perfect. I expect bugs and accept that.

But I also expect a certain amount of follow through and professionalism. Maybe most of you play the game for free but I have given them some funds for prestige. 

If they are willing to take money they have at least some responsibility to provide a working product.

-A

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 01:35
Originally posted by allamagoosa allamagoosa wrote:

If they are willing to take money they have at least some responsibility to provide a working product.
That is a fact, however I would say they do take responsibility.

All commerce has problems but compare this to the last time you went through the Taco Bell drive through. They screwed up the order, you complained and they stared at you with dead eyes (my example...I'm sure that we all have our own experiences like that). Maybe they argued with you about it. "The receipt says you ordered it with that." Well, for Caesar's sake, IT'S WRONG TOO, YOU IGNORANT....never mind.

At least here, you have options. You can make that squeeky sound and "customers" line up to encourage you. Give them time. Something WILL be done, unlike the above example wherein it is just not worth the aggravation and no one in that entire building is interested in even attempting to fix it much less take responsibility.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Diomedes
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 05:57
I love this game.... I mean, I really LOVE this game. What other game allows me to do as little or as much as I want and still feel involved in the game? What other game is totally free, but allows me the option to spend some money if I want to, for no other purpose than increasing my enjoyment of the game? What other game allows us to interact with those wonderful people who created the game in the first place, and be listened to and respected by them? And as an added bonus, what other game has a forum with such entertainment value as this one, where I can share in the challenges of the game and interact with the players?
Just remember folks - it is a game - so enjoy every aspect of it. Even the bugs can be entertaining. Smile

-------------
"Walk in the way of the good, for the righteous will dwell in the land"

Posted By: Sisren
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 16:07

My 2 cents, which is about what it's worth: The GM's are working behind the scenes to get their update out before the end of the year. They are probably cursing the fact that they announced "sometime in 2013" as a deadline by now...lol. That DOES make me laugh. Anyway, they don't have time to "chat" so that's why you haven't seen them.

my 2cp as well
perception is reality.
if you see no action being taken when you use a system for reporting bugs, then no action is being taken.
the easiest thing to do is update the petition - that goes for players and the GMs.
otherwise, it is not a closed-system...

but we don't wanna fix the system, or get help for it...

-------------
Illy is different from Physics-
Reactions are rarely Equal, and rarely the opposite of what you'd expect...

Posted By: Sisren
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 16:11

EDIT: There's gonna be issues with any system. When a petition is overlooked, update it. Things take time. As for "free", it is a fact that this is a FREE game. Prestige purchasing is voluntary. NOT REQUIRED. I buy now and then, but I don't need to. And I too have some issues that I would like to see changed and feel like my money SHOULD talk, but it doesn't. I either throw up my hands and go away unsatisfied or resolve to play within the confines of these issues. I chose the latter. BTW, this issue is getting waaay more attention than the issue I mentioned.

I disagree.  The system needs more disciplined operators.

ps- if its getting waaay more attention than what you wanted, it's because you posted to the forums   :P

-------------
Illy is different from Physics-
Reactions are rarely Equal, and rarely the opposite of what you'd expect...

Posted By: Auraya
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 18:00
*coughs* Petition 9123 *coughs*

In general, I've always had pretty good service from the devs. I've experienced the bug Alla currently has and it's not great to watch your new city turn to rubble no matter how many times you hit 'capture'. That said, my petition was looked at by Luna within 24 hours (although I did update it 4 times and write 'URGENT' in the title, as well as mailing 2 devs directly saying 'HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP' or words to that general effect) so even though they couldn't fix it for me, they did at least acknowledge it. 

I've had a further 2 petitions dealt with and 3 which are unassigned and have been for some time, one of which I consider pretty important but the other two are just general 'FYI, this doesn't work' unimportant things. Does it annoy me that I've lost a fleep load of wine? Yes. Muchly. I could cry. Am I going to quit because nothing has been done? Probably not. I like Illy and it's got much better customer service than other games I've played. 

Whilst I would like to see more staff hired, I realise it's impractical - especially with so many people dropping out. It would be nice if the players could volunteer to fill small roles like reading through petitions and assigning them to the right GM. I've heard the idea criticised before but I do think we have players with enough integrity. Whether or not they would be prepared to give their time for free is more of the challenge ;)

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 19:16
Originally posted by Sisren Sisren wrote:

the easiest thing to do is update the petition - that goes for players and the GMs.
otherwise, it is not a closed-system...

The constant "Update the petition" refrain is a cop-out.  I had a major bug which I updated several times over a period of weeks to no avail.

It was only when I posted about it on the forum in a "admit it guys, you're overstretched" comment that the bug was acknowledged, assigned and resolved within a couple of days.

There is a difference between a game company not caring vs not having enough resources and some of the arguments in this thread are talking at cross purposes over those to possibilities.

I don't think it's the case that there is a lack of caring about it.  I think there is a lack of resources to do anything about the volume of petitions and issues in the game.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Date Posted: 21 Jul 2013 at 22:19
All good points...no quoting necessary. But I will say that "my issue" is something that won't be addressed and posting in Illy controlled forums would get me banned. Not interested in getting banned, thank you.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 14:21
maybe its time to have prestige do more in the game, with the additional monies the game will be able to hire more staff. many times i have suggested that prestige needs to be given out more freely too. it might be time to rethink the illy mission statement and run the game more as a business and not a social club for players and a hobby for the devs...it my belief that the game is at a crossroads

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 24 Jul 2013 at 15:54
I don't think it's being treated as a hobby.  I think it's just that the amazing vision and huge scope is conflicting with the resources available.

The issue is that a bunch of people are moaning about features being delayed and also moaning about bugs not being fixed (I'm guilty of that too) while the devs have to make a trade off on how they spend their resources.

Making more stuff prestige-able is a tricky business too.  Pay-to-win is at the bottom of that slippery slope.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Posted By: Teets
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 12:47
I believe it's on the verge of being abandoned by the developers.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2013 at 22:45
I don't think we should interpret silence from the devs as indicating inactivity.  Rather, it usually indicates they are working on some really difficult problems and will shortly unveil a large quantity of something or other.  (Shortly being ... an elastic term.)

I sure hope the shine is not off the apple for Stormcrow and Thundercat, because one of the things that delights me about Illy is the joy they take in creating the game.  I hope that they are still enjoying themselves as much now as they were when I began playing more than two years ago.

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 00:19
Announcing a major new release seems to indicate strong engagement, not insufficient interest. Perhaps the devs felt their appearances in GC were distracting, or drew too much negativity. Free Internet games can sometimes generate a background drone of low-grade antagonism towards company representatives (often for attention purposes) that can quickly swamp an otherwise productive community interaction.

Posted By: Ashtar
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2013 at 05:26
True - the devs did used to be more active in GC and the petition system really needs work. It is a matter of setting priorities and I believe you should fix what you have before you release new content. I have suggested a council of players to look at the petition issue before and was shot down by Luna due to the confidentiality rules of Illy. I still believe it is a good idea and would help resolve many of the current issues, however i will respect the terms and conditions of play. Having said that, I would love to see GM SC, and TC in Global chat more often. We miss you guys!  

-------------
Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. -
     Buddha

Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 00:42
the petition system is effectively a list made by the community.  some items on the list are actual game-breaking bugs, others are exploits that might not distort things too badly if they are not widely known, others are informational issues (misspellings, mislabelled terrain), and many are misunderstandings questions that might be answered in a tutorial, etc.  many petitions even of the "game-breaking bug" variety will not give enough information to reproduce the problem, leaving the devs with insufficient information to address the problem.  competing with that list is another list of priorities, now including Broken Lands, the long-awaited pathfinding, new magic, faction AI, etc...any of which the devs would rather work on, any of which will draw, as individual items of work, more players into the game than addressing a petition.  so i propose that it is as unreasonable to expect the devs to address every petition as it would be counterproductive as a business strategy.  indeed, i would go so far as to say that GM TC spending time addressing a list of misspellings rather than implementing new content would be mismanaging his time in a way that most players would not support.

so the challenge to the devs is not to deplete the petition list, but to identify the 10% of petitions that actually need to be addressed.  part of that strategy may include ignoring some particularly odd-sounding petitions because "something that broken is bound to happen again," and if it does happen again someone will put it into the petition system.  updating the petition puts it back on top of the proverbial inbox, and also establishes that that very strange thing that happened to you once in December is in fact still happening in May and may have been happening all in the interim.  the devs must budget their time, and doing so is to the benefit of the game and the community at large, if not to any individual player.

now i do have one suggestion that might not be too invasive and i doubt would lead to a pay-to-win environment, though it may upset some players:  if a player is fussed about something that doesn't seem to be making it onto the devs' to-do list, would it be helpful to allow the player to attach a prestige value to the petition to give it priority in the queue?

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 01:41
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

the petition system is effectively a list made by the community.  some items on the list are actual game-breaking bugs, others are exploits that might not distort things too badly if they are not widely known, others are informational issues (misspellings, mislabelled terrain), and many are misunderstandings questions that might be answered in a tutorial, etc.  many petitions even of the "game-breaking bug" variety will not give enough information to reproduce the problem, leaving the devs with insufficient information to address the problem.  competing with that list is another list of priorities, now including Broken Lands, the long-awaited pathfinding, new magic, faction AI, etc...any of which the devs would rather work on, any of which will draw, as individual items of work, more players into the game than addressing a petition.  so i propose that it is as unreasonable to expect the devs to address every petition as it would be counterproductive as a business strategy.  indeed, i would go so far as to say that GM TC spending time addressing a list of misspellings rather than implementing new content would be mismanaging his time in a way that most players would not support.

so the challenge to the devs is not to deplete the petition list, but to identify the 10% of petitions that actually need to be addressed.  part of that strategy may include ignoring some particularly odd-sounding petitions because "something that broken is bound to happen again," and if it does happen again someone will put it into the petition system.  updating the petition puts it back on top of the proverbial inbox, and also establishes that that very strange thing that happened to you once in December is in fact still happening in May and may have been happening all in the interim.  the devs must budget their time, and doing so is to the benefit of the game and the community at large, if not to any individual player.

now i do have one suggestion that might not be too invasive and i doubt would lead to a pay-to-win environment, though it may upset some players:  if a player is fussed about something that doesn't seem to be making it onto the devs' to-do list, would it be helpful to allow the player to attach a prestige value to the petition to give it priority in the queue?

Very good post. I believe this sums up the truth of the petition system quite well.

I also like the suggestion but I would be willing to bet most players will poo poo it. Perhaps adding a refund when/if the problem described in the petition is solved. In other words, if you have a problem that you want to get more attention from the Devs, attach Prestige to it. The Devs investigate, find it to be a true issue, fix the issue, close the petition and refund the Prestige. If, on the other hand the issue is found wanting, either not a game play issue or not enough information, they ignore as before and no refund. The amount could be something like 25, not too much that most could afford it but enough to make one think "is this a good petition?"

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 01:44
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

competing with that list is another list of priorities, now including Broken Lands, the long-awaited pathfinding, new magic, faction AI, etc...any of which the devs would rather work on, any of which will draw, as individual items of work, more players into the game than addressing a petition.  so i propose that it is as unreasonable to expect the devs to address every petition as it would be counterproductive as a business strategy.  indeed, i would go so far as to say that GM TC spending time addressing a list of misspellings rather than implementing new content would be mismanaging his time in a way that most players would not support.

If you don't know what is wrong with your system (ie. you do not address bugs), then how can you implement new code?  Is the problem confined to some rarely used subroutine or is it in a core module?  Is there a flaw with a core module that your "new stuff" heavily depends on?

The quoted text is many times how management views software development.  It's not how software development works.  If it's broke, you didn't create it right.  If you didn't create it right, it does not make sense to add code without knowing if the house of cards will hold up.  At what point will the whole thing collapse under it's own weight and would that be a "good business strategy"?

Deliberately choosing to gain new customers at the expense of current customers is called "churn".  It's a sleazy business strategy.  In the long term, that strategy always fails.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 12:26
this is a gross oversimplification of a quality process, operating on the false dilemma of "broke"/"not broke".

Originally posted by Salararius Salararius wrote:

If you don't know what is wrong with your system (ie. you do not address bugs), then how can you implement new code?

when a petition is entered and has not yet been investigated, the devs do not/cannot know whether or not it is a bug.  many times, the player will not know either.   so a decision must be made based on the initial description and the likelihood that there is a real fixable problem behind the description.  giving every report immediate priority would drive more players from the game, because it would require a subscription fee to justify that level of support.

Originally posted by Salarius Salarius wrote:

The quoted text is many times how management views software development.
indeed.  because management must concern itself not only with the quality of the system, but also with paying the developers to work on it.  customers do not pay for quality they cannot perceive.  if developers would volunteer, management might be much more relaxed about it.  lacking GM TC's participation in that plan, however, illyriad would have to become open source to be the recipient of such community largesse, and while that might appeal to some, it's not really a decision we can make.

It's not how software development works.
it is, actually, which is why this thread exists at all.

If it's broke, you didn't create it right.  If you didn't create it right, it does not make sense to add code without knowing if the house of cards will hold up.  At what point will the whole thing collapse under it's own weight and would that be a "good business strategy"?
i hardly know where to begin.  this "broken" piece of software is still working well for hundreds/thousands of players.  should every perceived bug halt development?  at what point would the development team achieve this nirvana of perfect knowledge required to proceed?  is illyriad "broken" because it allows armies to walk over water as they would land?  is it "broken" because players can multi-account until they're caught?  quality is a continuum, not a switch.

Deliberately choosing to gain new customers at the expense of current customers is called "churn".  It's a sleazy business strategy.  In the long term, that strategy always fails.

hmmm.  i rather appreciate some churn, actually.  we sometimes call it "new blood".  it's the rate that can be counterproductive, not the fact of it.  likewise, yes, *all* business strategies fail in the long term.  as do governments, dynasties, etc.  which is why it's important to concentrate on the "term" and not the "fail".

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 13:03
i think something that needs to be addressed is how lack of gm involvement in the current game is enabling the game to become crazy full of resources, gold, and armies. with current game mechanics of slow builds and the destructive nature of warfare the game needs to provide ways of using these massive amounts of resources being produced. instead of addressing that issue we are seeing our aging mature game becoming very rich and nothing to really spend them on but dated mechanics that are tedious to perform. with current sitting and deletion rules and lack of threats players have billions just sitting there...hubs can store unlimited resources and there is little need for military....there must be over 2000 to 3000 accounts with 6 or more castles and this amount is increasing...the gms must address this issue and really take a look at their mission statement of non involvement and their direction of  adding more land.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 20:06
Angrim, thank you for so eloquently defending sensible software management.

Salararius, you also provide a valid technical viewpoint, but it's taken to a rather impractical extreme (re: "house of cards"). I sounded the same way when I was fresh out of college. That was before I arrived at the perspective that while engineering was my personal profession, the corporation that employed me was a business. There is a necessary tension between technical pride and perfectionism, vs. providing a practical system to customers in a way that provides an ongoing paycheck for your employees. Both mind sets are necessary in a company, and I would venture to say that it is even healthy for your 100% technology-focused engineers to hold the mindset you expressed.

When you are a customer who has encountered a bug, it is of course very difficult to view your own problem as one that might not get prioritized by business management. I didn't appreciate that until I was put in charge of running the defect review council for our product. My idealism about fixing every issue soon caved to realizing that there are only so many hours in the day, and some of our customers paid us far more than others. You try not to let the product crumble, but new features are what drive new business. Bug fixing is often best approached by fixing serious problems immediately, and blasting everything else in a few weeks of a quality focused release.

Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 20:07
@twilights: Well, there won't be any huge stockpiles or perma-sat accounts in Broken Lands.

Posted By: DeathDealer89
Date Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 22:50
Originally posted by twilights twilights wrote:

i think something that needs to be addressed is how lack of gm involvement in the current game is enabling the game to become crazy full of resources, gold, and armies. with current game mechanics of slow builds and the destructive nature of warfare the game needs to provide ways of using these massive amounts of resources being produced. instead of addressing that issue we are seeing our aging mature game becoming very rich and nothing to really spend them on but dated mechanics that are tedious to perform. with current sitting and deletion rules and lack of threats players have billions just sitting there...hubs can store unlimited resources and there is little need for military....there must be over 2000 to 3000 accounts with 6 or more castles and this amount is increasing...the gms must address this issue and really take a look at their mission statement of non involvement and their direction of  adding more land.

What problems do you see that the devs should fix that you can't?  
You think there is to much gold and res in the game.  Buy all the res up and send them to the HOC. 
To much armies.  Go attack big cities to lower the size of your armies  and theirs losing res in the process.  To many big players go on a killing spree.  Either you will lower the number of cities other players have or everyone will lower the number of cities you have either way less big players.  
Lack of threats, you just became one and I'm sure you will anger enough people to have lots of threats.  

Why should the devs fix any of your 'problems' when you can fix them yourself.  Not to mention most people wouldn't even consider your 'problems' bad they would indicate the opposite.  In fact i hope  instead of 2-3k accounts with 6  or more castes we get 4-6k accounts with 10 castles.  Means more people are playing the game.  You will find most of the stuff you claim to be problems just comes with the overall increase in the population of illy.

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2013 at 03:20
"House of Cards" is not correct, it implies a level of organization and structure that software development can not meet.  Agreeably, any given piece of code is many times more stable than any single card.  Also agreeably, stacks of code are generally many times more stable than stacks of cards.  But some stacks of code fall down over and over and over and are darn well impossible to correct.  Like stacking cards in a wind tunnel.  That's the strength and weakness of software in a nutshell.  So many young developers seem to think that a completed function will always "just work".  They don't realize how many pieces of code that have been around for decades still don't work as they are supposed to because no one ever tested them extensively or got priority (from management) to fix them when told they were broken.  These legacy issues create mountains of cascading "work arounds" and bugs and then if "corrected" create mountains of fixes to the fixes.  Of course, all that is hidden behind a massive complex of coders, 60 hour workweeks and "patches".  Management addresses this by seeking the lower and lower cost "mythical man month" coder (as you move up the pyramid) and the whole thing stumbles on in mediocrity as advancing hardware hides the inefficiencies.  That, in a nutshell, is 90% of the software industry today.

The trouble is, software is a non-linear system of exponential complexity and there are no quality metrics and no way to perform a mathematical stability analysis.  It's a crap shoot with the short term odds in your favor and the best tool available is usage based quality control.

Not reviewing and classifying every "identified" flaw in a system is a mistake.  Likely a little mistake, potentially a big mistake, but there is no system to differentiate.  Yes, professional quality control would reduce the number of flaws the developers need address (that should be a job at Illy) but they "can't afford that".  Sure, spelling errors are trivial, unless they are in a DB and some dev starts matching things based on spelling.  How do you classify petitions as "important" or not unless you review them and identify the cause (or at least identify the likely underlying functions).  Maybe you have 500 petitions, all looking obscure and different but all floating over some very common code that you're depending on for your new "big thing".  What exact methodology let's you determine if a petition is "important" or not?  How exactly (that word is the rub) do you know that you can ignore 90% of the petitions unless you look at 100% of the petitions?  If your quality control system sucks that bad, then you need a new quality control system.  If the petition system isn't part of quality control, then what is it?  If you can ignore 90% of the petitions but you don't have a system to identify that 90% then you should probably ignore 100% of the petitions and eliminate or re-tool the petition system.

Personally, not fixing a simple spelling mistake is just lazy.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 07:05

How do you classify petitions as "important" or not unless you review them and identify the cause (or at least identify the likely underlying functions).
how illyriad does it is a question i cannot answer, but classifying them by the severity of symptoms, the number of players affected, and the quality of information provided would seem to maximise the chances of addressing severe, high-profile problems while minimising the time to fix them.

How exactly (that word is the rub) do you know that you can ignore 90% of the petitions unless you look at 100% of the petitions?
i would not jump to the conclusion that they are not all reviewed.  GM Luna could answer that.

Personally, not fixing a simple spelling mistake is just lazy.
personally, i would not make that comment to a developer that had just finished a 14 hour day preparing Broken Lands for release.  i don't think either of us has enough information about the work habits of the illyriad developers to call them lazy.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 17:28
i have one additional suggestion that may have been made here before.  in reviewing my own petitions, i have found one i should like to withdraw, but there is no mechanism for that.  it might help GM Luna see through the "noise" if players could close their own petitions voluntarily.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 17:35
Just a few comments:

1. The significance of a problem is judged by the customer, not by the business. A business that dismisses customer problems as frivolous or unimportant will eventually have no customers.

2. Most businesses do a very poor job of planning the development and launch of new products or services. In my 30-year career our unofficial motto was "there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over". You can get away with providing an inadequate product or service only if you're the only one who has it and customers are willing to overlook the problems because they really want the benefits.

3. Not caring about minor problems will be viewed as not caring about major ones either (the "broken windows" principle).

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 18:38
Originally posted by Llyr Llyr wrote:

The significance of a problem is judged by the customer, not by the business. A business that dismisses customer problems as frivolous or unimportant will eventually have no customers.
it will be judged by both.  and the definition of "customer" here is an interesting one...a large number of players do not pay for the game.  are they customers, or prospective customers?  given illyriad's business model, players who do not pay must, i think, be considered more as party guests than as customers.  illyriad has invited everyone, wants everyone to enjoy themselves...but the party is what the creators and contributors want it to be, and can make it, within the scope of their skills and budget.  if some guests are unhappy with the quality of the food or venue, they will leave, and it must be so.

In my 30-year career our unofficial motto was "there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over".
again, i'm certain that the suspension of time and resource constraints would result in much more solid software.  (actually, i am not, because much software suffers from a failure to identify correctly its purpose at the outset, or to build with change in mind, but the *management* impact on quality would disappear with the elimination of time and resources as considerations.)  this is a bit like saying that getting uphill would be easier without gravity, though, so i don't see it as a very fertile topic.  if one is preparing appetizers for said party and they aren't quite up to one's usual standard, i would argue that quality is best served by delivering them in time rather than better the next day.  i wonder how the workers in any of the companies in which you served would have reacted if management had decided to put off a product release for month with the announcement:  "we understand your priorities.  we won't be able to pay you for August, but the product will be something of which you can be proud."

You can get away with providing an inadequate product or service only if you're the only one who has it and customers are willing to overlook the problems because they really want the benefits.
i've no idea in what sense you're using "inadequate".  if you mean that the product or service does not satisfy *all* of a customer's needs, inclusively, then all products and services are inadequate--else you would need only one.  if you mean inadequate in the sense that it does not deliver benefits that outweigh the disadvantages (including time to learn, to implement, etc.), then it is not applicable here, since customers would not continue to purchase or use it (and we wouldn't be "getting away with providing" it.)  if you mean "inadequate" in the sense that customers' expectations are not met, that is as easily a problem with marketing as it is with quality.  products can only be inadequate *to* some standard, and their inadequacy is usually considered proven or disproven by the market.  in the case of illyriad, the player base is deteriorating, which might indicate inadequacy, but i think it has little to do with petitions going unanswered.

Not caring about minor problems will be viewed as not caring about major ones either (the "broken windows" principle).
if this is the theory to which you refer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory), it would seem to be applicable only to the builders' attitudes about the product, as customers cannot break more windows.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 23:37
I believe the idea that the player base is deteriorating is subjective in one sense. That is, that a relatively large number of players began in Illyriad in conjunction with advertising through Facebook and Google (perhaps elsewhere but I know those happened). For example, I stumbled across Illyriad when I first started using Chrome and tried it. I believe there has been little to no advertising as of late and therefore the player base, through what one could characterize as normal attrition is slowly dwindling. If I missed it and there has been advertising lately, this theory is bunk.

As Broken Lands and Factions roll out I would assume we will see a spike in new players. Certainly in BL but in Elgea too. It's August, so according to the original announcement we should have an influx of newbs in the next 4 or 5 months. Can't wait to see all the posts complaining about that.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 04:11
I am a bit intolerant of folks who need new stuff constantly to have fun in a sandbox...

Why do you need new sand to have fun? There are Tons of really, really interesting folks here who have all sorts of relationships and strategic positions... The whole point is we make our OWN fun...

If you are bored, start something! (not that I've ever done that...)

It's like blaming the word processing program for writer's block...

Just my 2 cents.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 06:55
For anyone who read the post above about withdrawing a petition, there is a mechanism for that.  If you update with your petition with a note to the effect of a) nevermind I'm an idiot, it is really working the way it should or b) upon reflection this makes no difference anyway or c) this was addressed by by the update on Date Here and say "please close this petition" often they will close the petition.  (Unless they decide it is still important for them to remember it.)

Edited to add: Not that I've ever had to close a petition I shouldn't have opened because I was an idiot.  Not me.  Ever.  It was my "friend."

Posted By: Ashtar
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2013 at 08:18
As some of you may know, I recently sent a welfare check to GM TC's cities in the frozen north with a load of legwarmers and hot cocoa. (note: His city had no rainbow at the time of sending). I received a mail back saying that my army had been sent back to my city possibly due to illegal gameplay. Since when is it illegal to send a feint against a city that has no rainbow? After a thorough review of the Terms and conditions, and the Gameplay rules, i have been unable to locate any specific reference to it being illegal gameplay to send a welfare check to a dev's city. Perhaps, if the devs want this rule, they should actually add it to the gameplay rules and terms and condtions. And on a side note, I am happy to report that GM TC is alive and kicking, as he is my fav dev of all time.  

-------------
Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. -
     Buddha

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 23:28
Reminder that posting private messages between players and GMs is against forum rules. This includes correspondence via petitions.

Luna

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net