Print Page | Close Window

16OCT12 - Customizable Avatars

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=4350
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 03:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 16OCT12 - Customizable Avatars
Posted By: GM Luna
Subject: 16OCT12 - Customizable Avatars
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 03:59
The ability to customize your player avatar has now been added to the game. Visit your player profile and choose "edit avatar" to get started. For each race and gender there are 2 body types, 6 clothing color options for each body, 2 distinct heads with several face configurations (mostly eye color changes) and at least 6 different hair colors for each as well as some unique options like helms, headbands, etc. In addition, there are 15 unique pieces of environmental background art that you can place behind your character avatar. 

I'll let our more math-minded players help me figure out how many unique configurations that makes. :D

Avatar customization changes cost a flat prestige fee per edit session that you will be asked to confirm to save. You can edit your avatar as many times as you'd like. Background artwork can be purchased individually and once purchased, unlocked for permanent future use. So you can "collect" background artwork and switch it in and out at any time for no additional fee to re-use the artwork you've already purchased. Environmental artwork, gotta catch 'em all! Desert wasteland, I choose you!

*ahem*

You can also choose to purchase a character gender change at the time of customization for an additional fee. 

Custom avatars will update on your forum signature banners as well. 

We hope you enjoy the avatar options as much as I've enjoyed helping bring them to you. A great team of artists have worked to bring our diverse set of characters to life. 

Other Changes:
The siege code has been over-hauled to remove any glitches. An outstanding bug relating to defense against storm and raze attempts has been fixed. Sieges should now work exactly as intended.

GM Luna

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Replies:
Posted By: PirateKing
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 04:20
awesome

-------------
Aarrr! Thar be no better friend than making friends with a pirate!
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/external/alliance.asp?AllianceID=401" rel="nofollow - ~SouthSeasPirates~

Posted By: Darmon
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 04:21
This seems pretty high up there on the awesome-meter.  I sort of wish there was an out-of-game viewer so I could check out the new options for other races too tho.

Posted By: Beecks
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 04:23
I know this is a cosmetic feature that doesn't impact game-play but I really love the new avatars. Thanks Devs for working so hard on this stuff. It was worth the prestige :-D 

Posted By: Darmon
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 04:37
Also, it might be nice to be able to view a larger version of the backgrounds without the avatar in front of them.  I have a hard time making trivial decisions, and the current setup makes it difficult to fully appreciate the attention to detail you put into them.

Posted By: cthulhu
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 04:53
Sweet!

-------------
^{;,,;}^ = cthulhua

Posted By: Cerex Flikex
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 05:04
Thank you! Thank you thank you thank you! <3

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/149824" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: SunStorm
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 06:04
WOAH  (^_^)  Very Cool!!!!  Thanks Devs!

-------------
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Posted By: Silvermania
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 08:32
Couldnt help but notice that one of the backgrounds is a burning battlefield with crows flying around. Love it. How awesome is that. /me caws his approval

-------------

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 09:12
Why are we double charged for a gender change? We pay 200 for the gender and then an additional 50 for the avatar change? It seems unreasonable to have to pay for two separate things when I'm only changing one thing. Especially when you take into account that all other changes to your avatar are singular charges.

-------------

Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:08
Brids, if you try to go to any hospital and ask for it, you would realize that what you want to do is really costly ; )

Just in case, I never had such an operation and I am not willing to undertake it !

TH

Posted By: allamagoosa
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 13:50
I'll let our more math-minded players help me figure out how many unique configurations that makes. :D

Folks, Thanks, this is pretty cool. 

Love the artwork so whomever does the art you are talented. Please send me a nice acrylic painting of your work so I can hang it in my den.

By my count there are

6 selections on Hair

9 selections on Face

6 Selections on Cloths

2 selections on Body

16 sections on Environments

Thus,

The combinations are 6 * 9 * 6 * 2 * 16 = 10,368 per race

There are 4 races so the total number of permutations = 41,472

A+ on this. Star

-Allamagoosa

Posted By: allamagoosa
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 13:52
Although I still wish you would have a confirmation button on these types of prestige options.

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 13:56
Originally posted by allamagoosa allamagoosa wrote:

Although I still wish you would have a confirmation button on these types of prestige options.
You are asked for confirmation, with cost and assembled picture after clicking Save.

Posted By: Rorgash
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 14:05
Great work and im hoping for added features, pictures weapons and details in the future for me to spend more prestige on :D

Good Job!

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 14:13
Originally posted by Brids17 Brids17 wrote:

Why are we double charged for a gender change? We pay 200 for the gender and then an additional 50 for the avatar change? It seems unreasonable to have to pay for two separate things when I'm only changing one thing. Especially when you take into account that all other changes to your avatar are singular charges.

Gender change is a more significant change, along the lines of a name change, that most people won't be using very often. Hence the cost reflects that.

Luna

-------------

Posted By: Gaia Nutella Tulips
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 14:51
First you make medals, then new trade.. Then this.. Shocked HOW DARE YOU MAKE THIS GAME SO GOOD?! Angry

Posted By: AnnMarie
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 15:37
Very cool..well until I changed mine and didn't like it..Disapprove Hmm no return policy..lol oh well just another 50 prestige spent. I should get a frequent buyer discount? LOL

Posted By: Smoking GNU
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 15:51
Yay. Something else in this game i can't afford. Thumbs Up

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 16:22
Clap

Also, nice math Allamagoosa! That's quite a lot of work for the artist. My mate wants to know what program you are using mr artist?

Posted By: demdigs
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 16:34
what was all fixed for the sieges?

Posted By: Smoking GNU
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 17:07
Originally posted by demdigs demdigs wrote:

what was all fixed for the sieges?

I'm hoping the big siege bug that lets the sieger completely avoid the defending army inside the sieged city and just automatically win when storming it.

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 17:28
Originally posted by GM Luna GM Luna wrote:

Other Changes:
The siege code has been over-hauled to remove any glitches. An outstanding bug relating to defense against storm and raze attempts has been fixed. Sieges should now work exactly as intended.

GM Luna

Is this only a fix for the defenders in a city not able to defend verse a raze attempt now?  Or did they also the fix the glitch allowing unlimited siege engines to fire within a single army unit?  (see petition 5063).  

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/26125" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 17:30
Originally posted by Anjire Anjire wrote:

Other Changes:

GM Luna

Is this only a fix for the defenders in a city not able to defend verse a raze attempt now?  Or did they also the fix the glitch allowing unlimited siege engines to fire within a single army unit?  (see petition 5063).  

You highlighted it and didnt see it? let me repeat it: Sieges should now work exactly as intended.

-------------

Posted By: dunnoob
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 17:46

Or did they also the fix the glitch allowing unlimited siege engines to fire within a single army unit?  (see petition 5063).
What's that about?  Was there a limit before the various siege bugs in or before the April release?  Do walls now survive a capture?  If you need a town for a quick test check out  http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/fight-for-your-right_topic4188.html" rel="nofollow - fight for your right  (walls at level 16 at the moment.)

Posted By: Arakamis
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 17:48
define exactly rorgash. :)

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 17:51
ex·act·ly  (g-zktl)
adv.
1. In an exact manner; accurately.
2. In all respects; just: Do exactly as you please.
3. As you say. Used to indicate agreement.

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 17:56
Originally posted by Rorgash Rorgash wrote:

Other Changes:

GM Luna

You highlighted it and didnt see it? let me repeat it: Sieges should now work exactly as intended.

6/1/2012
From GM SC
[02:09]<GM Stormcrow> @Anjire - bear in mind that's 30 per siege camp... multiple siege camps are possible etc.

I am hoping they fixed this as well.  

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 17:57
Originally posted by Rorgash Rorgash wrote:

1. In an exact manner; accurately.
2. In all respects; just: Do exactly as you please.
3. As you say. Used to indicate agreement.

Smile good one..

so define In all respects then.

Exactly alone does not mean anything in this context, as we can't know what's going on in Dev's minds. :)

edit: typo

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 18:06
It works as they want it to, so if they are telling the truth there are NO, i repeat NO BUGS LEFT in thes siege code anymore, so if you find something wrong its not a bug but something they either didnt think about or wanted there or something else.

There is NO more bugs is what he said.

-------------

Posted By: Darkwords
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 18:30
Wonder if we will get avatar graphix as tourney prizes now, would be nice.

Or perhaps unlocking some through in game mysteries.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 18:58
That's what we always say before releasing new software to customers Rorgash. and there are always bugs and there are always things that do not work as exactly as intended. and if i find something wrong, it is definitely a bug, naming it something else does not change the fact that it is a bug. anyway, i will stop here.

thanks to the devs for this update.

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 18:59
If you experience any further issues with siege, please feel free to open a petition. Thanks.

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 19:02

If you experience any further issues with siege, please feel free to open a petition. Thanks.

Luna

My petition 5063  is open still and has not had its status updated.  

-------------

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 19:55

Gender change is a more significant change, along the lines of a name change, that most people won't be using very often. Hence the cost reflects that.

Luna

What specifically makes it a large change? It seemed like a lot more time and effort went into the backgrounds (though I'm not an artist, so maybe you guys can do those faster than I think) than any programming required to change your character to male or female. 

None the less, I feel that if you wanted to charge more than 200 prestige for it, you should have done it in a single charge, rather than making two separate charges for it. I say this because the avatar change charge, which not doing a single thing on it's own, allows you to change anything else about your avatar without additional charge, do to it already being charged. This doesn't make any sense. If I'm only changing my gender, why do I need to pay for a gender charge AND an avatar charge if I'm not changing anything with my avatar? 

This also means that anyone who changes their gender gets to also change their clothing, their model, their hair colour and their face/eye free of change, which makes even less sense. Not only am I paying for not doing that, I'm paying less if I DO do that. Because a single gender change is effectively 250 prestige but a gender change AND other avatar changes are still 250 prestige. So while I think the cost if already high, wouldn't it make sense to charge 300 prestige to change gender and change your avatar? 

-------------

Posted By: Tordenkaffen
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 21:08
A little constructive critique.

Thank go you made a decent male orc avatar, and the female orc model that has a downward gaze is lovely, but honestly: The original bodies as well as the optional faces need a lot of work imo. Other than that, great update.

Posted By: Granek
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 22:55

By my count there are

6 selections on Hair

9 selections on Face

Awesome update, but I only see 2 different male dwarf faces. Either it is different for different races, or the difference are so subtle I can't see them.

Posted By: dunnoob
Date Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 23:06
There are "a few" subtle variants in the eyes for the two main dwarf faces, hard to see.

Posted By: Aurordan
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 02:49

Folks, Thanks, this is pretty cool. 

Love the artwork so whomever does the art you are talented. Please send me a nice acrylic painting of your work so I can hang it in my den.

By my count there are

6 selections on Hair

9 selections on Face

6 Selections on Cloths

2 selections on Body

16 sections on Environments

Thus,

The combinations are 6 * 9 * 6 * 2 * 16 = 10,368 per race

There are 4 races so the total number of permutations = 41,472

A+ on this. Star

-Allamagoosa

Gender too?

Posted By: Trelling
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 04:03

Other Changes:

GM Luna

does this included any troops still remaining in abandoned accounts ??

-------------
In a world where data is coin of the realm, and
transmissions are guarded by no better sentinels
than man-made codes and corruptible devices,
there is no such thing as a secret.
Dr Kio Masada

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 04:25
I would pay 50 prestige to use my forum Avatar as my in game Avatar.

That is an opening bid, btw.  Wink

Posted By: Glognar
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 18:09
Love the new Avatar's thanks

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 13:32

Luna

My petition 5063  is open still and has not had its status updated.  
'
Just an update - siege is not working according to SC's response about limiting attacks to 30 siege engines per army group.  

Petition 5063 is still open and pertinent. 

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 14:21
Y would the devs want to limit siege engines down to 30? that seems like a unnecessary limit on sieges.

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 15:39
because otherwise a siege would only take 13 hours :P from landing to razing.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 21:35
well if you want to pay the huge price in gold u should be able to have the benefits of it

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2012 at 21:45
huge where? maybe for some, but it can be abused like crazy :P

-------------

Posted By: DanSavin
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 21:59
This is awesome. The game graphics are simply amazing and new avatars look really cool :) Thanks Devs :D !!!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net