URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3796
Printed Date: 15 Jul 2019 at 23:14
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Main: Clan Reashag Alchemist Speaks
Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Subject: Main: Clan Reashag Alchemist Speaks
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 16:48
Clan Reashag Alchemist Speaks 

Plumbing deeper depths to bring the latest news to you, its readers, the Illyriad Herald has sent intrepid reporters hundreds of feet below the city of Caer Morock, to interview Clan Raeshag's leading alchemist, Doeragh Hearstone. We caught up with him in his vast laboratory, amidst stacks of books and towering furnaces, to ask what is new in the world of Dwarven invention.

"Nothing is new, except what is old," Heartstone remarked. "In the First Age, Dwarven ingenuity constructed a golden age. At least, it was a golden age for the Dwarves. The Orcs and Humans were living in their own filth and killing each other with stone weapons, but what do you expect from them? Anyway, yes, a golden age. Not to be confused with the Golden Century of Duraz Karag, you understand...."

After several fascinating tangential lectures, our reporters brought Heartstone back to the subject close to our readers' hearts: the news.

"Yes, quite. What is new is simply a rediscovery of what is forgotten. We invent in order to rebuild our knowledge towards that golden age. Did I not explain...?"

So what old wisdoms might now become new again? "Metals and minerals! Metals and minerals are fascinating," Heartstone enthused. Fearing that this might simply be a general statement of Dwarven interests, our reporters pressed him for more information.

"You see," Heartstone gestured to a row of tables, manned by assistants who pored through stacks of ancient texts, "in the First Age, Dwarven smiths worked all manner of metals into weapons, not just iron. Some were rare metals coaxed from the earth. Some were alchemical creations. Under the empire of Duraz Karag these were still in use, and ancient texts give hints about these."

What hints had the alchemist's team uncovered? "Oh, most of it is confusing, jumbled, annoying. Different writers use different names for the same mines, or the same minerals, or the same processes. And some of them invented stupid names for their metals.

Look, here, this writer talks about Myth Ryll. Honestly! Myth Ryll? He may as well have called his metal Legendary Stuff, or Unobtanium. Anyway, most writers call it Silversteel. It seems to have been highly favoured for making superior armour, royal swords and, err, something we can't quite translate but seems to be a musical instrument enjoyed by women..."

Is this research of relevance to the readers of the Herald, we asked? "Oh yes. Well, maybe. I mentioned Silversteel, for example. In the last Age, it seems there were five great mines that produced the stuff. And I think we may have located a couple. We need to research further, but it's all looking very promising!"

If a breakthrough is imminent, what great innovations might be forthcoming? What practical impact could this have on the people of Elgea? "Practical? Oh! I hadn't really thought about that. But I like the idea of new musical instruments. I suppose that new metals would make some really interesting xylophones?"

The Herald will continue to keep readers abreast of further developments in this area, especially if developments yield something more interesting than xylophones.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 16:53
Myth Ryll?  Really?  If they are going to use my name to attempt to market this product, I want a percentage.

Posted By: Captain Ganoes Paran
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 17:10
in the picture there's a dwarven structure surounted by mountains , is that on the world map ?

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 17:11
it looks to me like a more detailed representation of Caer Morock, which is a searchable map feature (faction hub).  As of a few minutes ago, no player interactions with this map feature are possible.

Posted By: Avion
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 17:14

Ryll

Ryll, mined on the planet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_planets_%28R-S%29#Ryloth" rel="nofollow - Ryloth , is a relatively weak form of spice used to create a number of medicines used throughout the galaxy. It is also smuggled into the http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Corporate_Sector&action=edit&redlink=1" rel="nofollow - Corporate Sector for illegal sale to the workers. As a recreational substance, ryll can be addictive and dangerous.

Ryll was one of the forms of spice processed on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_planets_%28W-Z%29#Ylesia" rel="nofollow - Ylesia prior to the Battle of Yavin.

Ryll, specifically of the rarest variety, ryll kor, is instrumental in creating rylca, a medicine used to cure the deadly http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Krytos_virus&action=edit&redlink=1" rel="nofollow - Krytos virus .

rill [rɪl]

n
1. (Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) a brook or stream; rivulet
2. (Earth Sciences / Physical Geography) a small channel or gulley, such as one formed during soil erosion
3. (Astronomy) Also rille one of many winding cracks on the moon
[from Low German rille; related to Dutch ril]

Winding crack?

-------------
Suppose they gave a war and nobody came?

Posted By: bansisdead
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 17:32
Xylophone is Latin, meaning 'wood' & 'sound'.  The Glockenspiel is made of metal bars!!!

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/124253" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 17:37
i meen the second picture on the right

Posted By: geofrey
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 19:05
Does this mean there are 5 mines on the world map now?

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/45534" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Capricorne
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2012 at 19:57
I hope so... A rare thing to fight for :)

Posted By: Mogul
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 22:18
Originally posted by Captain Ganoes Paran Captain Ganoes Paran wrote:

in the picture there's a dwarven structure surounted by mountains , is that on the world map ?
We in Dwarven Druids [Druid] alliance have some mental connection to "the world of Dwarven invention". Because of that we found out that this dwarven structure is not yet build but according to the picture in herald (coming from future) we know where that structure is planned.

Our diplomats didn’t find anything in that area today but maybe some of you may have better luck.

Posted By: geofrey
Date Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 22:31
Originally posted by Mogul Mogul wrote:

We in Dwarven Druids [Druid] alliance have some mental connection to "the world of Dwarven invention". Because of that we found out that this dwarven structure is not yet build but according to the picture in herald (coming from future) we know where that structure is planned.

Our diplomats didn’t find anything in that area today but maybe some of you may have better luck.

Kudos to Dwarven Druid Research. This seems right up your alley! 

Now to just find the other 4...

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/45534" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Direb
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 16:41
Its on the map but not yet live (according to GM Luna)

Posted By: tallica
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 18:26
I just hope you dwarves don't delve to deeply and awaken whatever is sleeping deep inside those mountains!

Posted By: Subatoi
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 18:35
Originally posted by tallica tallica wrote:

I just hope you dwarves don't delve to deeply and awaken whatever is sleeping deep inside those mountains!

Hmm perhaps expeditions to these mountains will uncover a new type of enemy? Perhaps an elvish race that seeked protection and went to the dwarfs and in return for mountainus underground refuge the elves had to server the dwarfs, could be interesting..

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 19:46
Originally posted by Mogul Mogul wrote:

Wow you guys are uber awesome! :O

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 20:52
i send diplos and a van to harvest 

Posted By: vty
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 21:18
Vans found nothing

Posted By: Gilthoniel
Date Posted: 13 Jul 2012 at 21:28
patience everyone...patience

Posted By: Vanerin
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 03:16
I sent t2 scouts to all the squares in that mine. They all brought back the same message:

Your followers find their way, by ancient roads and forgotten paths, through hidden mountain passes, to the ruins of a once great Dwarf Fortress. In the distance, the ragged ruins blend in to the mountainside, their stone the same grey as the cliffs around them, moss and bushes and trees clinging to the broken walls just as to the mountainsides. But as your people move closer, uneven walls, pillars, even gateways and, in places, stone roofs become visible. 

Even in ruins, the structures here are immense. Walls that now stand a hundred paces high are but the remains of greater edifices, rubble strewn about them suggesting that some towers must have been many times as high as that. 

The remains of a royal hall cover an area big enough to contain a whole village. In the ruins of crumbled townhouses are the Clan crests of dozens of proud families, some familiar (Moedagh, Reashag, Bealagh), others long forgotten by all but the Dwarves. Collapsed tunnels and gates sealed with rubble hint at networks of passages beneath the mountains, now inaccessible. 

In ruined shrines, tablets still stand attesting to the glory of this fallen city. 

A plaque in the overgrown marketplace attests to once vibrant commerce: "Give thanks to the east, for Obsidian and fine silks. Give thanks to the west for grain and meat. Give thanks to the north, for Iceheart and oak. Give thanks to the south for spices and fish. All the goods of the world are brought here, by the skill of the Dwarven Clans in obedience to the Artefores." 

Another tablet recounts the names of craftsmen who were presented to the gods each year as the finest jewelers, cabinet makers, glass-blowers, armourers, potters…. But their works have long since vanished. 

Close to the royal palace, the wall of another shrine reads: "For the glory and might of Duraz Karag, we thank the Artifores. We give thanks that they made our crafts people deft and hard working. We give thanks that they made our kings wise. We give thanks that they made our mountain ranges rich with iron and Silversteel. We give thanks that our warriors are strong, our children healthy, our women enduring, our families dutiful. Upon these things does Duraz Karag stand. May it last for ever." 

Leaving the city to return home, your people note a few small scattered cairns, little piles of mossy stones, also brought low by time. These, they suspect, may be crude monuments to slain Orc warleaders, whose hordes over-ran the vast city in the Second Age. 

Your followers regret that they did not return with any treasure or insight. The ruins of Duraz Karag are so vast, they say, that it must contain some secrets, but they had no clue where they might even start such a search.

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 03:20
same with T2 spies at all sqs.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 03:50
Thanks TD and Vanerin.

Posted By: Vanerin
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 06:05
Thieves give the same message as scouts and spies

Posted By: Darkwords
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 06:22
and T1 the same as T2

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 06:32
I'm sending 125 t2 spies just in case the number matters like the Steamtastic Brewery; they won't hit for 2 days.  I doubt this will have any effect, but one can try.

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 06:52
I have a large group of scouts hitting in about 20hrs also.

Posted By: Diomedes
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 08:24
I still hold to the view that we should build a nuclear weapon and destroy it - it's the military way, hehe. Of course, that does require uranium, which we need to mine, which... umm... never mind

-------------
"Walk in the way of the good, for the righteous will dwell in the land"

Posted By: Nesse
Date Posted: 14 Jul 2012 at 10:00
And all other kinds of diplomat too.
The harvestable squares surrounding it give negatve results, though, and no message.

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 09:07
I doubt it was numbers, since I sent 690 T2 spies and 750 rangers and got nothing besides the default message.

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 12:42
I am guessing they have not yet completed the use for this feature, perhaps we can gain more from it once the mines are updated onto the map.

Posted By: Progressor
Date Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 12:54
I hope the Devs make Duraz Karag findable with the search box, as they did with locations as the Rift.

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/136959" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Morphies
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 16:35
yea.. taking a Skyrim backstory of the snow elves aka falmer would be a great idea.. well you except for all the copy right laws.. other then that yes... very interesting

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 18:32

Same message with armies.

Posted By: Prometheuz
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 19:50
Just a thought. Anyone tried the Clan Reashag faction hub Question

Caer MorockNorweld http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/74/199" rel="nofollow - [74|199]

Posted By: Salararius
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 21:01
3,000 t2 thieves, same message.

Posted By: dspn23
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 15:43
are there 5 like this one?
what is it suposed them to do?
how will it work?
where are the other 4 be located at?
many more questions...
in short: this got to be a mystery. they give to litle info...

Posted By: Silent/Steadfast
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 18:25
A plaque in the overgrown marketplace attests to once vibrant commerce: "Give thanks to the east, for Obsidian and fine silks. Give thanks to the west for grain and meat. Give thanks to the north, for Iceheart and oak. Give thanks to the south for spices and fish. All the goods of the world are brought here, by the skill of the Dwarven Clans in obedience to the Artefores."

The recent dev blog post mentioned that "There are not many (obsidian) deposits, and they are all in a fairly narrow geographical area." And in this mystery, we see "Give thanks to the east, for Obsidian and fine silks."  Maybe the eastern mine will be located near the obsidian?  In which case we will have to wait and see where the obsidian will be, and do the same for the north, south, and west.  

-------------
"Semantics are no protection from a 50 Megaton Thermonuclear Stormcrow."-Yggdrassil (June 21, 2011 6:48 PM)
"SCROLL ya donut!" Urgorr The Old (September 1, 2011 4:08 PM)

Posted By: lokifeyson
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 10:05
did anyone else notice the spelling error in heartstone's name....? or is it hearstone?

-------------

Posted By: Beecks
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2012 at 04:49
Scouts (both T1 and T2) give the same message post-patch. Neither Cotters nor Miners produce any discernible reaction. Sending basic minerals did nothing. Sending (one) Silversoil, Rainbowstone, Goldstone, Trove, and Deepsilver similarly did nothing.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.10 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2017 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net