Print Page | Close Window

From the Dev Blog: UIv3 Preview

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3637
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 22:20
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: From the Dev Blog: UIv3 Preview
Posted By: GM Luna
Subject: From the Dev Blog: UIv3 Preview
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 05:48
Hello Illyrians!

The dev team and I are excited to show you a first look at the upcoming UI changes that will be taking place throughout the entire game. We've given the game a bit of a face-lift both visually and functionally in order to add some new features and make a better presentation for the game. 

Hop on over to our dev blog for a full write up and more screenshots of the new UI!

http://www.illyriad.co.uk/blog/index.php/2012/06/preview-illyriad-uiv3/" rel="nofollow - http://www.illyriad.co.uk/blog/index.php/2012/06/preview-illyriad-uiv3/

GM Luna

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Replies:
Posted By: invictusa
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 05:57
Does this mean no more quick links such as going directly to soveregnty by hovering the tower and then clicking the red seal?

Edit: "Derp": Navigation: ...Players can choose to use...  the radial menus at the top of the page, as is currently the style in game.  

-------------
...and miles to go before I sleep.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 06:00
Originally posted by invictusa invictusa wrote:

Does this mean no more quick links such as going directly to soveregnty by hovering the tower and then clicking the red seal?

The radial menus are still there, as is in game now. So yes you could still navigate that way.

Luna

-------------

Posted By: Cerex Flikex
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 06:11
I'm not too sure if the extra navigation buttons would be a good idea. Also the missing big red buttons from summary and Production I'll miss. I like those.

Other than that, I'm very happy about this.

I was curious if there is a friend limit?

Also I wonder if there will be added a delete button on the opened mail window instead of only being able to delete from menu screen list?

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/149824" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 06:12
@GM_Luna: I saw from your profile you have a badge of honor. 
Edit: So I assume that means we will see medals with UI3? 
I think you deserve it because of your daily position as Elgea's most prominent and glorious troll slayer.  Keep up the good work and let the other Devs know theie hard work is appreciated.

-------------

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 06:26
Where are the pink cows?

I want pink cows!

Looking good though, I like the part where the chat boxes will remember where you put them.  I probably spend 2-3 minutes arranging them to my satisfaction every time I open Illy or refresh the page.

Posted By: lokifeyson
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 09:42
awesome! can't wait to see it! and click on it lol Big smile

-------------

Posted By: SunStorm
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 12:22
Luna!  (^_^)  Bring back the "switch to next city" arrow icon - people love that thing for quick cycling through towns.  

Also, will the search box allow for searching through the faction page's text as well as alliance text and profile text?  <---(If so, then AWESOME!!!!)

-------------
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 12:35
Originally posted by SunStorm SunStorm wrote:

Luna!  (^_^)  Bring back the "switch to next city" arrow icon - people love that thing for quick cycling through towns.  
She's only got one town XD

Posted By: SunStorm
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 12:44
Originally posted by GM ThunderCat GM ThunderCat wrote:

Doh!  (>.<)  How long has she been here now?  Tell her that is unacceptable!  lol  (:P)

Thanks for clearing this up!  (^_^)

-------------
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Posted By: dunnoob
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 12:57
Originally posted by GM ThunderCat GM ThunderCat wrote:

One town with more population than the rest of your alliance including your nine towns... JFTR Evil Smile

Posted By: lorre
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 15:01
well it looks nice but when is each race gonna get its own diffrent looking city buildings? right now we are using the human ones correct? 

-------------
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Posted By: Hbz77
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 15:44
Looks very nice!

I have only a suggestion, keep in mind smartphones and tables when you think about UI!

Keep up the good work

Posted By: Starry
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 15:45
Well this looks interesting, I do have a question for the Devs:

When are you going to finish water sov?  (It's very frustrating for players that have been waiting 12-18 mos and this keep getting delayed for other updates!!!)

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 15:50
Pretty please keep this thread to discussion, questions and feedback about the new UI. Thank you.

Luna

-------------

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 17:00
Feedback on the new UI - will this solve the horrible and persistent "lag" aka ignored commands, chat text disappearing, not accepting mail send commands, or other commands ignored that require me to hit F5 for about 1/3 of the clicks I make in Illy?

Will this new UI finally allow for Factions to be introduced?  That was the promise of the current UI from a year ago.

How is the "Friends List" different from Alliance Chat?

How is this different from what Facebook does?

When will more game content be released instead of redesigning the artwork and packaging?

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 17:51
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

Feedback on the new UI - will this solve the horrible and persistent "lag" aka ignored commands, chat text disappearing, not accepting mail send commands, or other commands ignored that require me to hit F5 for about 1/3 of the clicks I make in Illy?

Will this new UI finally allow for Factions to be introduced?  That was the promise of the current UI from a year ago.

How is this different from what Facebook does?

When will more game content be released instead of redesigning the artwork and packaging?

+1 especially the first and last comments.

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 17:56

Indeed, the event (= click) handler is dead in many reproducible situations.  Example, look at the trade overview page when a van completed whatever it is doing, and after that only logout or reload page still work for me. 

If I understood it correctly it is not limited to players in the same alliance, and at the start it will only show who's online (playing or afk).  I'd love a golden monkey club for issues relevant in Djebeli/Elijal, but when I'm on or offline is nobody's business outside of my alliance.  

Good question, and will there be a "LoFi" (= as much as possible text based) UI for folks with lousy and/or expensive bandwidth?  

Posted By: Silverlake
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 18:10
Nice but these pretty things are not as important to me a water sov and new content.

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 18:13
All players in your alliance might be your friends, but all your friends need not be in your alliance. It is going to be quite useful for confederate alliances, it is going to be game changing. 

I'm looking forward to the player run chat channels too. We few dozen ex college mates are going to form a secret spy club! (just kidding)

I'd say the biggest difference from facebook is that, the people you avoided like plague in highschool will not come looking for you :P

Posted By: HonoredMule
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 19:10
"lo-fi" is entirely unnecessary in an AJAX-heavy site.  90% of the content payload is delivered once per visit, and that's after discounting all static content that is cached (images, etc.) that are cached indefinitely.

I would however like to see the UI passing raw data messages rather than pre-rendered blocks of the UI, and using a local templating system.  (Of course then I'd hope that I can override those templates to provide the kind of fixes Butler currently has to apply on each new load of an inner "page."

-------------
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 20:01
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

"lo-fi" is entirely unnecessary in an AJAX-heavy site.
As long as I'm forced to reload pages constantly, when the script magic really or apparently does not survive what my ISP sells as Internet connectivity, it is very necessary.  What I liked best in the preview was to split the huge first Herald page.  

If really or apparently nothing goes I try the old "clear cache" approach, and an Illy city map reloaded from scratch will take the better part of an hour to load with what my ISP considers as "reduced bandwidth", after the reload page orgies here burnt the 5 GB monthly at an acceptable speed.

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 21:03
To answer a few questions:

@Cerex, initially there won't be a limit to the number of players you can add to your friends list.
Also, we added a delete button to the bottom of opened mails. Thanks for the suggestion/reminder. :)

@Sunstorm, searching at this time finds pages, not the content within the pages. 

@The_Dude, we had a small fix today that hopefully helps with some lag. Factions are still being worked on, separately from the UI at this time. Friends lists are for people that may or may not be in your alliance, so you can see if they are online. Then (once we have private chat) you could open a chat with them from this menu. 

@dunnoob, this new UI should be no more bandwidth heavy to use than the current UI. I don't think we would do an alternate/text only UI along side this one, no. We try to only maintain one version of the game that is usable in as many places as possible so that we aren't repeating any work for different versions. 

To all, as a general note, things such as these UI updates do not mean that other features (factions, water sov, etc) are not being worked on diligently. Different people on different parts of the team work on different (let's see how many times I can say different) projects all at the same time. More news about those features will come in time, as we have more concrete info to share about them. Thanks for hanging in there.

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 23:07
No offense, Luna, we've been told this before.   Given the backlog of features that have been promised and are yet to be implemented, it does not appear to be the case.   Improvements to game content are very important to players who have spent considerable time and money on this game; without said improvements the game will stagnate.    Graphics and all the other fluff are fine but not when there is a long list of promised updates still pending, it's very discouraging.

I enjoy this game but I am very concerned, unless improvements are given a higher priority, the list of veteran players leaving will just increase.

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 23:40
Originally posted by Starry Starry wrote:

No offense, Luna, we've been told this before.   Given the backlog of features that have been promised and are yet to be implemented, it does not appear to be the case.   Improvements to game content are very important to players who have spent considerable time and money on this game; without said improvements the game will stagnate.    Graphics and all the other fluff are fine but not when there is a long list of promised updates still pending, it's very discouraging.

I enjoy this game but I am very concerned, unless improvements are given a higher priority, the list of veteran players leaving will just increase.

I very very much sympathize with your situation and the sentiment I've heard from players about these sorts of things. I really do. The problem is not a lack of understanding of how important these things are to our players, or a lack of priority. To put it really simply it is more of an "hours in the day" and "number of hands on keyboards doing the programming" type of thing. Illy still has a very small dev team, despite how much the game has grown. We've got lots of really big projects in the works behind the scenes, some of which we haven't talked about much or at all. 

We have full intentions of delivering on the things that we know you all feel you are waiting for, and I have no doubt that the team can pull it off. We just have to make sure we get it right, and sometimes these things take more time than any of us would prefer. 

Again, I (and the rest of the dev team) understand your frustrations and respect them. All we can do is beg patience and thank you so much for those who do hang in there with us. We appreciate you all, truly.

Luna

-------------

Posted By: Albatross
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 23:54
I'll be looking forward to changes that make using Illyriad easier. Having visibility of both items in build and research queues is a good move (though they should really show which building is being built, and from/to what level, e.g. "[Building|Demolishing] Saddlemaker, L19 to L20"), as is the skinned windowing with persistence (I hope there's a reset switch there, for when display area gets smaller, e.g. when a monitor is unplugged). The Super Search could be really useful if done well, and will help make the UI self-documenting.

From a playing perspective, while I personally won't be getting excited about new artwork content and prettifying, nor anything that makes accessing information more difficult, I understand that this is vital to make the game look attractive to prospective new players who see screenshots in the game blogs and magazines. Illyriad is competing in an aggressive market.

Posted By: Skim Milk
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 23:56
Very nicely put, Luna. I'm just as excited for new things as anyone else, but the game was good when I joined and nothing has happened to change that. 

Besides, Illy is a game for fast paced people. 
...I got that wrong somewhere didn't I? Clown

Posted By: Mara Zira
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 00:15
Will people be able to "detach" the chats so that you can keep an eye on both GC and AC at the same time? It looks like the plan is for people to only be able to view one (or the other) at a time.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 00:28
Originally posted by Mara Zira Mara Zira wrote:

Will people be able to "detach" the chats so that you can keep an eye on both GC and AC at the same time? It looks like the plan is for people to only be able to view one (or the other) at a time.

Yep. You can un-dock them, same as you can now. 

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 03:10
Originally posted by GM Luna GM Luna wrote:

we added a delete button to the bottom of opened mails
Thumbs Up My pet peeve, gone...Clap

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 10:37
Quote  If I understood it correctly it is not limited to players in the same alliance, and at the start it will only show who's online (playing or afk).  I'd love a golden monkey club for issues relevant in Djebeli/Elijal, but when I'm on or offline is nobody's business outside of my alliance.   

nice! love it! LOL

and as far as knowing when im on and off, that is kinda scary, but then it makes sure you are friends...with well... friends Big smile

@Dev team, sometimes we forget that a lot of things talked about or "promised" was probably suggested by the players and are very game changing and needs to be worked in properly.

A new UI can be helpful in making those changes. 

I say get the 'little' changes out of the way and move on to the heavy stuff.
illy started on a great foundation of open world sandbox rts with some great key elements, and I see nothing wrong with improving the foundation before adding a second story or third in this case lol

keep it up! Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:01
-1 If you are able to see the amount of friends someone has.  Thats just my opinion I guess.  Having the very definition of the word "friend" butchered by networking sites creates a back pedal in human evolution. Additionally, friend farming gives the undesirable people in the elgea community another tool to make GC a disdainful place for anyone mature and/or intelligent who has been here longer than a month.  

I can see it now:
"Hi welcome to illy! /me snuggles:you ... click this link ... add me."

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:19
that would be pretty bad if that happened...

idk, in all the mmo's i played...you couldn't see if the friend was online, only if they was also in your guild/alliance/clan 

and with the private chat, don't have it be a pop up, or a message to the player, have it be a room we create then we have to send a message with the link to the room or something along those lines

this game has a way big emphasis on not doing nice things with diplo's and knowing people's on/offline status at any given moment is a big thing, as people are pointing out

another thing this really brings up is the whole chat system and notifications, i say combine and let me have the option to display what i want in the tabs...

like have the tabs be a default setup, then have a button on each tab that opens a window with checklist on what i want displayed on that tab, whether it be a...

Notification (and be specific on which ones; Magic, Diplo, trade)
Player message received (mail notification display)
Whisper's (a friend or person who is only talking to you) 
Alliance chat 
Global chat
Have a check to make it so i know which tab i picked will talk to global or alliance

or something like that...maybe?

-------------

Posted By: Albatross
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 11:53
Thought my session just changed to UI3 for a few seconds there :o)

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 14:32
If one of the aspects of having someone as a friend means that all friends can see when people are online, I imagine most people will have a very limited number of friends.  I can think of less than a dozen people outside my alliances that I would have any desire to have this information, and I'm more gregarious than average.  (I think.)

Posted By: Avion
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 15:12
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

If one of the aspects of having someone as a friend means that all friends can see when people are online, I imagine most people will have a very limited number of friends.  I can think of less than a dozen people outside my alliances that I would have any desire to have this information, and I'm more gregarious than average.  (I think.)

I agree.  In fact, the only friends I would have right now would be alliance members anyway.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 15:55
I think there may be confusion about the friends list. Your friends will have no idea who else is on your friends list and will certainly not see them online. And there is no way to see how many friends someone has. Each person in the list that you may add has to be mutually agreed upon, meaning you cannot add someone to the list and see when they are online without their express permission. And if someone is annoying you by sending friend requests that you refuse, you can block them and you won't receive any further requests from them.

Hope that helps clarify.

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 16:05

I think there may be confusion about the friends list. Your friends will have no idea who else is on your friends list and will certainly not see them online. And there is no way to see how many friends someone has. Each person in the list that you may add has to be mutually agreed upon, meaning you cannot add someone to the list and see when they are online without their express permission. And if someone is annoying you by sending friend requests that you refuse, you can block them and you won't receive any further requests from them.

Hope that helps clarify.

Luna

Whoop! there it is!Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 19:29
Will all my "friends" automatically be able to see if I'm online?  Or can I choose to appear online only to specific friends?

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 19:46

Will all my "friends" automatically be able to see if I'm online?  Or can I choose to appear online only to specific friends?

Good question. At this time it will be such that you appear online to all friends. 

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 21:24

At this time it will be such that you appear online to all friends.
 My Elijal consulate would shoot me for high treason, so that means I can't use it.Shocked 

And if the new chat system is based on an empty friends list... let's talk about water sov.Tongue

Posted By: Badmuts
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 21:41

I think there may be confusion about the friends list. Your friends will have no idea who else is on your friends list and will certainly not see them online. And there is no way to see how many friends someone has.
How about sitters? Can they see your friends list and does the account appear online to the friends when somebody is sitting? Technically, the real friend is not online, but the account is.

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 21:52
lol didnt think it had to be this hard really

i just wanted a friend list to message people quickly and send things and to be able to mass mail my friends, i really don't know if we should do the whole "see if im online or not thing", but i guess i will have to wait and see how it works...

like i said before, just make sure real friends are on that list or....could have acquaintance list and friends list...

and a great Q by badmuts

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 22:14
Yes, if a sitter logged into your account your friends would see you as online and the sitter can see your friends list. Similar to how now someone can see your alliance online list and send/see mail while they are sitting your account. 

Luna

-------------

Posted By: Rohk
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 15:02
Luna, is there any word yet from the technical side of things as to whether the chat memory features and such will be cookie-based or will otherwise reset if we clear our browser cache?

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 15:49
Originally posted by Rohk Rohk wrote:

Luna, is there any word yet from the technical side of things as to whether the chat memory features and such will be cookie-based or will otherwise reset if we clear our browser cache?
Uses browser local storage. We are providing an in-game way to clear specific saved settings so you don't have to clear everything if you only want to clear one thing.

Posted By: LadyLuvs
Date Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 13:07
OMG, another UI?  Confused Will this fix the stuff never fixed in the current one or are the same things going to be broken and ignored in the new one?  I quite frankly don't have the time or the stamina to go to yet another site to find info on this game.  All I want to know is if will you fix what has been broken and neglected since this current UI went into effect over a year ago like the mail system?  If it is a guaranteed fix then I am all for it.  If that isn't a priority, then I am not looking forward to troubleshooting another UI when what was suppose to be fixed in this one never got fixed in the 1st place.  The UI before this current one had a sub-par mail system and it carried over to this one with promises of less mail that never happened.  In fact we had even more places to see notifications rather than less!  Please tell me you are fixing that problem with this.

-------------
LadyLuvs
Raven, Murder of Crows Alliance

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 20:38
I'd like to suggest this fix for in notifications.
 When sending a caravan to another town it says "You has dispatched caravans to" which is strange grammar.

-------------

Posted By: Subatoi
Date Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 21:37
i think its saying that as a player indication.  *EF has dispatched vans to your town*  *you* have dispatched vans.  if you click on the you it goes to your profile.

so im going to fall back on my theory of indicating which player is sending vans

Date Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 23:48
Originally posted by Subatoi Subatoi wrote:

i think its saying that as a player indication.  *EF has dispatched vans to your town*  *you* have dispatched vans.  if you click on the you it goes to your profile.
Yes, e.g., the Illy markup [@p=dunnoob|121554|SKR|484|3|0] ... is expanded into dunnoob ... for everybody, only player 121554 (= me) sees it as you ...  The final 0 indicates male in the popup info, female is 1.  The 3 is the 3rd race, 1..4 indicate human, elf, dwarf, or orc.  484 is the http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance/Alliance/484" rel="nofollow - alliance  number.  

The values do not necessarily match the player number, I have lots of fun with updating the alliance info (or even the name) for player  http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Player/Profile/395" rel="nofollow - 395  in my profile.  The variant [@ps=dunnoob|121554|SKR|484|3|0] ... is expanded into dunnoob's ... for everybody, or your ... for player 121554.  The script expanding these constructs could automatically replace has by have as a special case, but frankly I hope the devs don't add minor grammar kludges before they run out of serious bugs or missing trade v2 features starting with water sov.   

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 01:54
Originally posted by dunnoob dunnoob wrote:

The script expanding these constructs could automatically replace has by have as a special case, but frankly I hope the devs don't add minor grammar kludges before they run out of serious bugs or missing trade v2 features starting with water sov.   
Kludges?

I know the reason for this saying "has", and it still bugs me. While it is minor, I thought perhaps it could be added to the UI update. /me shrugs.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 02:40
Originally posted by Cerex Flikex Cerex Flikex wrote:

Kludges?
Yes, fixing only has does not solve the general problem, and the general problem even if limited to English is hard (are/is, do/does, etc.)

it still bugs me
Maybe they adopt Subatoi's proposal to drop you or your for your player number, and always use the name.  Players are supposed to know their name after some time, they could also limit this oddity to you has a rainbow before using names. Tongue

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 02:47

Kludges?
Yes, fixing only has does not solve the general problem, and the general problem even if limited to English is hard (are/is, do/does, etc.)

it still bugs me
Maybe they adopt Subatoi's proposal to drop you or your for your player number, and always use the name.  Players are supposed to know their name after some time, they could also limit this oddity to you has a rainbow before using names. Tongue

I do not know what Kludges is. Ahem.

As I said, I thought it could be added to the next UI update. Which was why I mentioned it in here and not a separate thread. How they edit it, if they do, I leave for the devs to decide.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 03:00

Crude  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge" rel="nofollow - jargon , sorry.Geek

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 03:19
Americans are more likely to spell it kluge. (pronounced like stooge)

Posted By: The Duke
Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 03:45
Just wanna say another step in the right direction. Congrats devs!! As long as were still all walking forward not backward, Ill still be here. Thanks for the news and for a few fixes

-------------
"Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives."

Date Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 06:35

Crude  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge" rel="nofollow - jargon , sorry.Geek

Americans are more likely to spell it kluge. (pronounced like stooge)

Thanks to the both of you. I've learned a new word that I'll likely forget the meaning of later. lol

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 00:11
Ok I finally had time to go and look at the new UI - It looks all pretty with all this fancy stuff being added but I am disappointed.  There wasn't one thing mentioned about fixing the current mail system and notification problems.  Making everything shiney and pretty and adding fancy new things does not fix the sub-par mail system.    Quit working on the prettiness and fix what doesn't work properly!  That should be your priority not this cosmetic stuff.  The last UI is prime example.  Mail system was never fixed but by goodness we could be notified up the wazoo about what we had done or that had happened.  No reduction in mail just a lot of prettiness and a little more function for touney's but that basic stuff that everyone uses or is forced to see has not been changed as promised.  Fix the stuff what is broken for the love of Illy.  I am tired of having to send a mail 5 separate times to keep everyone up to date.  Fix it please.  I am begging you to fix the broken stuff.  Please ....

-------------
LadyLuvs

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 01:02
@LadyLuvs (and anyone else who'd like to weigh in), could you please be more specific about what mail features that you are finding "broken"? I know this may be repeating something that's been discussed in the past, but for my sake since I wasn't around back at the time of the UIv2 changes, I have no idea what was or wasn't included that you thought should have been. I've looked through old forum threads and passed some of that information along and we have made some changes based on that feedback (that will be in this update), but much of the information is very out of date and irrelevant at this point. 

Are you wanting an option to turn off all system mails? Only certain system mails? What is it about system mail that you are finding troublesome? 

And with the "5 separate times" I assume you mean not having the ability to send mail to more than one player at once, correct? 

Luna

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 01:31
Not being able to send mail to more than one player at once (other than alliance mails) is one of my big concerns, for sure.

It would be really nice to be able to "opt out" of certain types of system notifications.  The ones that come to mind most are reports of harvesting caravans (caravans begin harvesting, caravans returning) as well as quest mails.  Would be nice to be able to CHOOSE whether to receive these mails as well as notifications of trade acceptances and caravan arrivals or deliveries.

If these mails could be made optional, I have to believe it would save a bit of server space and would DEFINITELY free up my inbox.

Being able to sort mail into folders would also be wonderful -- for example, if I send out a mail asking everyone for input on X and it appears over a period of 3 days to a week, I then have to sort through that amount of saved mail in order to find all the responses.  Would be much nicer if I could stick them into a folder.  Even if there were just one folder for "important mail" as opposed to "all that other stuff" it would be nice.

I try to keep a clean mailbox; I normally only save player mail and battle reports, but even so there can get to be quite a lot of them after a while.

Thanks for asking, hope I haven't overwhelmed you.  I think there are several threads in the suggestions portion of the forum about this as well.

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 02:58
Keeping the senders name in a forwarded email would also be quite useful...

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 03:12
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

Keeping the senders name in a forwarded email would also be quite useful...

This is something that is already in on the test server. :)

Luna

-------------

Posted By: White Beard
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 06:24
a second line of the items that are available on the market would be great for traders. Right now we have to scroll all the way back up if we want to change the item, one in between the sellers and the buyers or even the bottom would be nice

Posted By: Sisren
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 11:11
Originally posted by White Beard White Beard wrote:

a second line of the items that are available on the market would be great for traders. Right now we have to scroll all the way back up if we want to change the item, one in between the sellers and the buyers or even the bottom would be nice

This could be a pop-out window...
My beef is that if I am selling multiple things at a time,  I have to go for the marketplace, then trade movements, and back to the market place.  

-------------
Illy is different from Physics-
Reactions are rarely Equal, and rarely the opposite of what you'd expect...

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 11:33

could you please be more specific about what mail features that you are finding "broken"?
You already announced a "delete this mail" option in an opened mail, and that will speed up my mail cleanups by about 300% (measured in clicks).  It will also reduce the times when I delete the wrong mail...  If there ever was a mail system without bin/trash for a last undelete chance it is fortunately gone and forgotten.  That's still a major pain here, it is too easy to delete an unread mail hiding in 250 triggered runes or 70 returning caravan system messages.

Apparently all system mails are automatically deleted after some time.  Generally that's fine, but an option to keep (archive) interesting mails, e.g., diplomatic excursions to the Rift or the Misted Lands, would be nice.  Forward to self is a clumsy workaround for a missing archive.   

Forward is also a clumsy emulation of BCC (blind carbon copy) in lieu of the missing CC feature.   Mail from A to B forwarded to player C often requires manual annotations for C to see that the original mail was from A to B.  

Apparently all mails have a unique ID (number), and in petitions I trust that you can still see a mail identified by its number even after it was manually or automatically deleted.  If that's the case you could replace the existing forward  feature by a new attachment feature (of the original mail), where the forwarder has no chance to modify the content.  

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 13:27
It seems you are getting a gist from the other players on the fixes that need to be made but I will still place my concerns on here:

Forwarding:  It cuts off the name of the original sender.  (Luna you advised this has already been address in the new up date.)

The inability to send mail to a certain group of players choosen by you.  I find that the inability to send to only alliance leaders and my VC's regarding issues is annoying.  You have to send the mail to one person at a time rather than for example: Gm Luna; Sinatra; Indomitable; Starry; ScottFitz; Mannanan; GM Stormcrow; GM Thundercat

Those are players not all in the same alliance but you can pick and choose who you want the mail to go to.  The mail alliance is a wonderful feature and we use it often, but being unable to connect just with my staff and officers is frustrating.  Sending a mail to each of them is way too time consuming.

The notifications System mails: These things are overwhelming!  Everything you do go on your notification board AND you get an email plus a blue ticker above your Mail Icon.  Seriously how many places do we need to be able to view this stuff?  Let me tell you what I would like to see done with Notifications.  Since you are coming up with a whole new interface can you include a way that if you send out an army/diplos it shows a ticker on the Battle Axe/Rose or above the mail icon that you have a battle report?  Show it in another color?  Then in the notifications, you can click on it and see the report if you choose to.  Caravans and harvesting that stuff should only show up in Notifications.  We should not have to endure that kind of notification in our mail boxes.  These are just reports and Notifications.  Let them stay in the Notification area and stop spamming out mail.  The mail is overwhelming when sieging.  Every hour you get a report.  When it is time to capture or raze have it flash or something that you have important things that need your attention.

As an alliance leader I get enough mail.  The system mail could be filtered if the flashing notification isn't possible.  The headings in the mail area could actually be used for storing those mails instead of putting them in the main inbox.  If there are new system notifications then you can Bold those filter headings so we can see there is a report that needs to be tended to.  Then those that wanted to keep tabs that way still could.  Most of the mail should be done away with tho.  I don't need a mail every time I send out caravans. I can see in notifications that it has landed. 

These are just ideas for rectifying the over system mail.  Yes this has been discussed before.  I don't mind stating it again.  I just want this fixed.  We have endured it long enough.  I am sure once it is fixed something else will be frustrating as with all things of this nature.  This is my biggest complaint about this game at this time.  Everything else is bearable and I stand behind you all 100% in everything!  I do love the new additions but I do feel this is a fix we can't ignore any longer.  I don't want to see a new UI go in place until this has been addressed and fixes put in place to cut down on the notification emails even if it is just filtering them in our mail so we don't see it in the main inbox.  If you are going to put work into making this functional then make it all functional.  The mail should not be an issue with the new UI.  There should be something in place so we are not overwhelmed with mail from the system.  I should only see important mail from alliance leaders and staff in my main inbox.

Also as an Alliance Leader I would like to know when one of my players is hit by Diplos or Armies.  That should be an option in the Roles to choose to get those notifications and who gets them.  To me those are important notifications.  It should be like a link to their report so I or my VC's could view it.  This will be especially helpful when factions go live.

-------------
LadyLuvs

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 14:11
Originally posted by LadyLuvs LadyLuvs wrote:

Caravans and harvesting that stuff should only show up in Notifications.
Just in case, I actually open "begin gathering" mails, because I'd send a replacement a.s.a.p. if less or more vans are required to gather all available resources.  IFF this info is given in a notification I would not need the system message.  

Interrupts should still result in system messages:  Sometimes I want to know how much they got before I bumped them.  The "interrupted at" notification does not say who interrupted me, IFF I'd know that I would not need the system message.  The "begin returning" system messages are pointless, let those caravans return and bring whatever they harvested without system message; only their arrival at home could be milldly interesting (in a notification, not in a system message.)

The mail is overwhelming when sieging.
Indeed, one system message for the first bombardment telling me where I find the siege page, and later hourly reports when raze or capture are possible, would be good enough.

Also as an Alliance Leader I would like to know when one of my players is hit by Diplos or Armies.
IBTD, an alliance leader is no ersatz-sitter.

Date Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 20:53
Although in some ways it would be nice to know if an alliance member is hit by diplos or armies, I think it's probably better for the game if such information is not automatically reported.  LadyLuvs has a special concern because her players are newbs, and extracting reliable information about what happened from newbs can be a time-consuming and frustrating process: 

"I was attacked!!!" 
 "By what???" 
"Attacked!!!"
"Military attack or diplo attack?"
"Ummm ..."
"Did you get a mail?"
"Yeah" and/or "I don't know"
"Can you forward me the mail?"
etc.

This interchange, while a bit frustrating and time-consuming, is an important learning experience and training for the newer player (as well as those in alliance chat listening in).  Having to take responsibility for recognizing an attack, reporting it and receiving advice or assistance is a good thing.

NOTE:  I love helping newbs! Nothing above should be taken to imply that I am anything other than delighted to assist in their development, including in responding to attacks, hopefully in a way that boosts their confidence and self-efficacy.

As for inactive or less-active players that might be the other concern of an alliance leader ... I have enough challenges on my hands without worrying about players who are not playing.  This is what the sitter function is for.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 00:47

LadyLuvs has a special concern because her players are newbs
But they are elite newbs.  I never had any player from this alliance in my chat block list.  And looking at you, this is the alliance where new players start to learn the research tree by heart, isn't it?  Wink

Posted By: Salararius
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 02:16
How about a way to save drafts?  It's cumbersoe to start emails then realize you have to look up the name of a player/city or some stat so have to copy the mail, paste someplace else, switch to other screen, get information, switch back, copy and paste back, etc...

Why is the mail screen two display heights tall with buttons at the top and bottom?  Put all buttons together at the top OR make the screen one display height tall.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 02:22
yes, saving drafts would be awesome!

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 03:29

Send the draft to yourself, then you can forward + edit it from sent mail as some kind of draft or template.   

@salarius, in chrome you can duplicate the open browser tab, and use the new tab to check something needed in the old tab.  Firefox has an extension doing almost the same.  There are also favlets (a.k.a. bookmarklets) doing this, but the forum here won't let me post javascript:void(window.open(location)) as a clickable link.

Posted By: Salararius
Date Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 04:45

Send the draft to yourself, then you can forward + edit it from sent mail as some kind of draft or template.   

@salarius, in chrome you can duplicate the open browser tab, and use the new tab to check something needed in the old tab.  Firefox has an extension doing almost the same.  There are also favlets (a.k.a. bookmarklets) doing this, but the forum here won't let me post javascript:void(window.open(location)) as a clickable link.

Hey look, there's a kluge for that.  Clap

It's funny (as in funny I'm stupid) but I tried pulling it up in another browser (which doesn't work) but never in another tab on the same browser.  I assumed that would log me out too.  Not sure why I thought that. Confused

Better than an update soon.  Thank You very much.

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 12:51
Actually Rill we already get notifications by the system regarding Sieges what is the difference in letting us know hey someone was hit by a diplomatic mission or attacked by another players army?  You are losing something either way whether it be a city or res.  If we are going to over run by notifications at least make some of them helpful instead of redundant.  GC is filled with spam of all types from the system to players posting the same things over and over again.  In A/C we should have the option to get those kinds of notices about our members.

My members are very good with sending reports of being attacked.  It isn't crazy trying to pull info out of them.  They are always up for the task of strengthening their defenses as well.  I get personal satisfaction when one of my players says "I was attacked but they didn't get anything.  I killed their diplos.  Now how can I catch them next time so they can be brought to justice?"  I am not looking for entire reports of their attack to be given to us.  Just a notification and we can decide what to do.  The only person that should get a full on report is the player attacked and they can send that at their leisure.  With Diplo reinforcing now, it has cut down on on players getting away with stuff.  That was an awesome update!  The Devs did us a huge favor with that.  I thank them from the bottom of my heart for that.

-------------
LadyLuvs

Date Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 18:45

what is the difference 
Sieges are public knowledge, even announced in GC for pop above ten.  Maybe blockades are also public knowledge, at least some are listed in the recent news column on the release notes page.  OTOH all diplomatic missions are as secret and private as possible outside of your diplomatic visibility radius.  It actually cannot be more different than it already is.  Just say no to completely unnecessary and undesirable big brother features breaking essential game mechanics.Angry

Posted By: Aldonis
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 20:03
I knew there was an update coming to the game but this is just UGLY. I cant even get illyriad to work on my computer properly with this version of it :/
Change It Back Please!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net