Print Page | Close Window

Guide to Exodus

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Strategies, Guides & Help
Forum Name: Strategies, Tips & Tricks
Forum Description: Player created guides and advice.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3593
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 08:33
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Guide to Exodus
Posted By: Cerex Flikex
Subject: Guide to Exodus
Date Posted: 26 May 2012 at 19:58
Guide to Exodus

What is Exodus?

Exodus Technology - At the castle under Relocation.

After much building and research you can use this to relocate your 
town. It has restrictions and can be a painful move, but it can be 
worth the effort.

Research needed

Under the City tab of the research tree, you will need to research 
Exodus. The chain for unlocking it is: Timekeeping > Bureaucracy > 
Pioneering > Inventory Management > Exodus.

Exodus will take 5 days to research. You only need to research Exodus 
in the town you want to move.

What about buildings?

First, you will need a second town to be able to use Exodus. This is 
because if you move your capital, the other city is changed to your 
capital.

One of the painful aspects of Exodus, is that all buildings excluding 
walls, will be leveled down to level 12. This is a reason to keep most 
buildings up to level 12 in any town you plan to use Exodus.

You will need to level Storehouse to 15 to get a warehouse unlocked. 
Then you will need to get the Warehouse to level 20 to unlock the 
exodus research. So if you plan ahead, only these two buildings should 
drop to level 12.

Benefits

What is different about this compared to Tenaril, is that you can 
change what amount of resource plots you have in your town. The main 
benefit, is you can take your 5 food town and relocate onto a 7 food 
square. Tenaril doesn't allow you to do this, as you keep what you 
started with while using it.

Another benefit can be to relocate after you no longer have use of 
tenaril. For example, if you settled somewhere by mistake, or wish to 
move to a better location for other reasons.

How much will it cost?

One cost as explained previously, are buildings dropping to level 12.

The storage capacity after exodus with a storehouse and warehouse 
both dropped to level 12 will be 94087 of everything, excluding gold, 
mana, and research points.

Another cost, is it takes a long time to have the town move.
It will move at a speed of 5 squares per hour.

Once you arrive at your destination square, you will not be able to 
send out diplomatic units or armies for a period of 5 days. You will 
still be able to defend.

All sovereignty owned by the city will be immediately removed.

All your advanced resource production will be paused during the move 
and continue at the point it left off once your city reaches its 
destination.

All your unit production will be paused during the move and continue at 
the point it left of once your city reaches its destination.

All the spells you have cast from this town will be cancelled. 
Spells cast on your town may not dissipate.

You will not receive any income for the moving city - either in gold, 
or in resources - during the move.

You will lose any resources and advanced resources your new level of 
storehouse and warehouse cannot hold.

All your current quests will be cancelled.

Restrictions

Moving to a new location in this way has the same restrictions as the 
Tenaril's Spell of Ultimate Teleportation (such as must have all your 
units at home, cannot move to a location that is within 10 squares of 
another alliance - unless you have sovereignty 5 claimed on the square etc).
This means, if the square you want to move to is within 10 squares, you
can claim a level 5 sovereignty and still move to it.

Further additional restrictions:

You need enough gold to pay your units during the time of the move.

You may not move a city while it is an Alliance capital. You will need 
to change the capital to a new city before moving.

You may only have one city relocating at a time.  This includes (non-
relocating) settlers.  If you have a city relocating, or settlers in 
motion, and then try to relocate another city, you will be refused.

You cannot send settlers or exodus a town while you are currently actively
capturing another town after a successful siege.

Research needs to be complete to move a city.

You cannot have any building constructions or demolitions in progress 
and will need to wait until they complete to move your city.

Sitters may not relocate other players' cities, this is very much an 
"account-holder-only" function.

You cannot exodus to a square someone else has already sent settlers to.

All your units must be at home.  Trade, Military and Diplomatic units 
cannot be moving or stationed abroad.

You cannot have trade offers on the marketplace. These must be 
cancelled prior to move.

You cannot have reinforcements from another player in your city.  These 
must have left your town.

You cannot be currently under an active blockade or siege. You must 
break blockades and sieges before you can move. A blockade or siege 
that has landed (and/or set up) will hold the city.

Incoming units will not prevent a city move (unless they are a 
returning Sally Forth or a capturing/razing army).

Reinforcements already in the town will prevent a city move.

You cannot sally forth for 5 days after moving your city, or move your 
city for 5 days after moving your city. 

Incoming sieges and blockades will be changed to attacks on the square 
that they we going to set-up on, and return immediately after. The 
sieging/blockading army will be informed immediately via in-game mail 
that the city has moved.

Incoming reinforcements to the city will be changed to occupations of 
the square. The sieging/blockading army will be informed immediately 
via in-game mail that the city has moved.

What about my troops and spells?

If you have built beyond level 12, for example your barracks, and have
trained more diplomats or troops than a level 12 could train, you will
still retain all of your troops. You will not be able to train more however, until
you have built the barracks and consulate back to the needed levels.
Caravans and spells are not affected the same way. You will still retain all
trained caravans. To be able to train caravans, as long as you have the
research you only need a level 1 marketplace. This also applies to spells,
where with the right research, you'd only need a level 1 mage tower.
However, you will have very low spell power with a low level mage tower.

Thank you

Thanks goes towards the Illyriad community for helping me with some details
in this guide.

Many thanks for the dev posts here where a lot of this information comes from: 

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/29sept11-moving-cities_topic2495.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/29sept11-moving-cities_topic2495.html
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov12-siege-exodus_topic4446.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov12-siege-exodus_topic4446.html

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/149824" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: Albatross
Date Posted: 26 May 2012 at 21:53
Originally posted by Cerex Flikex Cerex Flikex wrote:

You only need to research Exodus in the town you want to move.
Sure?
I thought you need another town to have the Exodus research too. e.g. You have towns "1" and "2", and have researched Exodus in both. If you want to move town 2, you need to be in Town 1, then select Relocate > Exodus, and then choose town 2 as the town to move.

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 26 May 2012 at 22:07
Originally posted by Albatross Albatross wrote:

You only need to research Exodus in the town you want to move.
Sure?
I thought you need another town to have the Exodus research too. e.g. You have towns "1" and "2", and have researched Exodus in both. If you want to move town 2, you need to be in Town 1, then select Relocate > Exodus, and then choose town 2 as the town to move.

You have the option to Exodus any town that has the Exodus technology research FROM any other city, whether the town from which you are operating the Exodus function has researched Exodus or not.  You can build a town with a level 20 warehouse, study Exodus and settle a new town with 0 population, then employ exodus from that 0 population town.  (Can't think of why one would want to do this, but it is possible to do so.  Maybe if the town you were Exodusing is your last remaining town and you're trying to escape an incoming siege?)

Posted By: invictusa
Date Posted: 26 May 2012 at 23:02
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

You have the option to Exodus any town that has the Exodus technology research FROM any other city, whether the town from which you are operating the Exodus function has researched Exodus or not.
This was the one thing that confused me the most about exodus when I was learning how.  Also I have found time and time again that I am not alone in this.  The confusion has resulted in a few people I know of researching exodus in the wrong town, one of which nearly rage quitting after learning the error.

I think the portion of the dev post explaining this is hilariously ambiguous.  Kinda like "objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

-------------
...and miles to go before I sleep.

Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 00:14
Indeed, regarding which towns needing the research. Myself and some others had been confused regarding this. This is one of the reasons I made this guide.

You only need the research in the town you want to move. You select the move command from another town, whether it has exodus or not.

Thanks to Rill for also answering this. :)

-------------

Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 00:27
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

You have the option to Exodus any town that has the Exodus technology research FROM any other city, whether the town from which you are operating the Exodus function has researched Exodus or not.  You can build a town with a level 20 warehouse, study Exodus and settle a new town with 0 population, then employ exodus from that 0 population town.  (Can't think of why one would want to do this, but it is possible to do so.  Maybe if the town you were Exodusing is your last remaining town and you're trying to escape an incoming siege?)

Just thought I'd mention that this strategy could be useful for a new player. Since they spawn with 5 food, they could then use exodus to a 7 food that way. As a result, the 0 pop town you settled becomes your Capital, hence you can Teleport it to wherever along with the 7 food you've settled on.

-------------

Posted By: Albatross
Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 00:28
Thanks for answer; I researched ahead of needing it, so I didn't notice that the requirements were lower than I expected.

Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 03:59
The new player might as well be building up that 0 population town while the other city is working toward Exodus, so it won't be 0 population at the time you teleport it, was sort of what I was getting at.

Posted By: Jane DarkMagic
Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 06:12
I feel fairly confident that you can have active research, just no active building.

Also a tip for more advanced players/alliance leaders resolving disputes, you can fake an exodus to see if someone else is moving to a spot.    Because it will tell you if a city is already exodusing to a location.  It similar to using a fake Tenaril's to tell if a player is active.

-Jane

Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 06:27
Originally posted by Jane DarkMagic Jane DarkMagic wrote:

I feel fairly confident that you can have active research, just no active building.

Also a tip for more advanced players/alliance leaders resolving disputes, you can fake an exodus to see if someone else is moving to a spot.    Because it will tell you if a city is already exodusing to a location.  It similar to using a fake Tenaril's to tell if a player is active.

-Jane

Please see the link at the bottom of the guide. The research part comes from the dev post.

Edit: I will be using Exodus very shortly on my Capital. I'll be queueing the research tomorrow. After the 5 days I will be back after my test with my results.

-------------

Posted By: Dew
Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:27
Originally posted by Jane DarkMagic Jane DarkMagic wrote:

I am about 98% certain that research isn't hampered. I just moved my town of Esquire and dEw using exodus. as Esquire is my smallest town i can't imagine not noticing this restriction as i am doing many time consuming researches at the moment. this brings up one other point. i am pretty sure that i had both towns simultaneously in motion for a short period of time. this of course could be a glitch or one of my towns could have settled moments before i sent my second town on its way. i do recall that sovereignty 5 was scheduled to balance fairly close to when dew was scheduled to arrive. 

Posted By: dunnoob
Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:38

I will be using Exodus very shortly on my Capital. I'll be queueing the research tomorrow. After the 5 days I will be back after my test with my results.
If you have less than 12 commander skills researched maybe queue a skill after exodus.  Then you could check Jane's observation, and if it does not work (active research => no exodus) you'd lose only 40 minutes.  I'll try it also in some days in a captured town. 

Updated: Okay, Dew confirmed it, active research is no problem.Cool

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 11:52
"All the spells you have cast from this town and those cast on your town 
will be cancelled."

While technically this is the way Exodus is supposed to work per the spell  description, In my many Exodus moves it was almost random if I lost a spell cast by the city itself.  I had geomancy, rune and blights remain at the rate of at least one school surviving a move per town. 

Posted By: Dew
Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 14:06
Originally posted by Anjire Anjire wrote:

"All the spells you have cast from this town and those cast on your town 
will be cancelled."

While technically this is the way Exodus is supposed to work per the spell  description, In my many Exodus moves it was almost random if I lost a spell cast by the city itself.  I had geomancy, rune and blights remain at the rate of at least one school surviving a move per town. 

true i noticed my geomancy spells ended in both town, even though the one in esquire was cast by an outside town. in my smaller town Esquire the mage tower wasn't over lvl 12 and its defensive rune remained intact. in my larger town dEw my lvl 20 mage tower's rune got canceled and needed to be recast. this leads me to guess that defensive spells are based on your mage tower changing level. note that there was not a cool down timer on the rune spell from dEw. again this could be a glitch or occur at random. 

Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 19:54
Well again, the point about spells being cancelled was taken from the devs post. If the information is inaccurate, I'd like to remedy this. Perhaps there is a glitch, or it got changed.

-------------

Posted By: Badmuts
Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 21:44
Originally posted by dunnoob dunnoob wrote:

Yes, it is possible to do, I did it last week. However, I had the feeling that the research didn't continue during the move. It should have been finished when the city landed, but it wasn't. So it seems that when you exodus the research queue is halted and when the city lands it continues researching. Maybe Dew can confirm this.

One point missing from the guide is what happens with your units when your buildings level down. If you have a level 20 market and 70 vans, you will keep the vans after the exodus. You cannot build new ones when you loose some vans if the market is still level 12. This is because of the building requirements for building a certain number of vans. 
The same holds for t2 cavalry, you will keep the units you already have build, but after the exodus you cannot build new ones with level 12 barracks. You don't have to research warhorse again, but even with that research done you still need at least a level 15 barrack. Probably the same hold for diplo units that require a consolate level higher than 12.

Posted By: Quackers
Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 22:12
Originally posted by Badmuts Badmuts wrote:

Yes, it is possible to do, I did it last week. However, I had the feeling that the research didn't continue during the move. It should have been finished when the city landed, but it wasn't. So it seems that when you exodus the research queue is halted and when the city lands it continues researching. Maybe Dew can confirm this.

One point missing from the guide is what happens with your units when your buildings level down. If you have a level 20 market and 70 vans, you will keep the vans after the exodus. You cannot build new ones when you loose some vans if the market is still level 12. This is because of the building requirements for building a certain number of vans. 
The same holds for t2 cavalry, you will keep the units you already have build, but after the exodus you cannot build new ones with level 12 barracks. You don't have to research warhorse again, but even with that research done you still need at least a level 15 barrack. Probably the same hold for diplo units that require a consolate level higher than 12.

Yep that is all true. I have used exodus about 7 or 9 times now. Got to use exodus a couple more times as well. There is alot to exodus, some maybe glitchs other may be features the developers put in to help shape things. For one, when you use exodus, depending on the town, the underline terrain will get switched to a new one. Like Lonely Peak to Landscape or Wooded Glaze to Large Hill. If you can put up with the 5 day wait, you can easily change the land around you, just be careful not to get stuck if someone moves within 10 squares of you, then you wont be able to move to your spot. : /

But yes research does not continue when your new town is moving. Like Researching Estate Management (5 day) on a 13 day move, finding out that Estate Management is not finished yet when your city lands.

Date Posted: 27 May 2012 at 22:16
It says in the devs' Exodus post that research is suspended while the city is moving.  Experience confirms that this aspect of the post is accurate.  (Unlike some of the spell mechanics.)

Date Posted: 28 May 2012 at 00:33
Note: I've now updated the guide.

- Research is now edited to say it will be paused during the move.
- Thank you section updated.
- Added section regarding troops.

Further editing may be needed. Again my thanks goes to all of you here.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 May 2012 at 11:33

If you have a level 20 market and 70 vans, you will keep the vans after the exodus. You cannot build new ones when you loose some vans if the market is still level 12. This is because of the building requirements for building a certain number of vans. 
Interesting, in a captured city reduced to pop 80 I could build 55 vans as soon as a market place level 1 existed again. 

The city used to be bigger before I sieged it, some research including whatever allows 55 vans was done.  OTOH I couldn't build diplomatic units without the corresponding levels of the consulate.

Posted By: Badmuts
Date Posted: 28 May 2012 at 12:28

If you have a level 20 market and 70 vans, you will keep the vans after the exodus. You cannot build new ones when you loose some vans if the market is still level 12. This is because of the building requirements for building a certain number of vans. 
Interesting, in a captured city reduced to pop 80 I could build 55 vans as soon as a market place level 1 existed again. 

The city used to be bigger before I sieged it, some research including whatever allows 55 vans was done.  OTOH I couldn't build diplomatic units without the corresponding levels of the consulate.
Wow, maybe something else was wrong when i tried building extra vans after an exodus. I am now trying to build 70 vans in a captured town with a level 12 market to check it. Yes, it works. Maybe the building level limitation only holds for barracks and consulate. For the barracks i am very sure, because i checked everything when i got a popup telling me that i couldn't build any knights. Only later I realized that it was the level of the barracks that was causing the popup. 

Date Posted: 28 May 2012 at 15:52
The building level limitations apply to creating troops and diplo units but NOT to making vans or casting spells.  You can cast any spell from a level 1 mage tower (although it will have less spell power, since mage tower level is one of the determinants of spell power).  As long as you have the research, you can create the number of vans the research determines, and they will have the carrying capacity of the highest completed research.

On the other hand, you can't make a t2 cav in a level 12 barracks, nor an assassin in a level 12 consulate.  (You also can't make a t2 cav in a level 15 consulate, but that's a whole other thing. Wink)

Date Posted: 28 May 2012 at 22:09
Updated guide:

- troop section is updated and also includes a bit about spells, based on the previous posts.

Spell restriction has not been changed yet, as I'm unsure how that works currently.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 May 2012 at 09:13
Some stuff I need to know really soon that could be added to your guide:

The storage capacity after exodus (storehouse 12 + warehouse 12) will be 94087 of everything, and allegedly this also affects advanced resources, e.g., 100K beer would be too much.

Clay, iron, stone, and wood at level 12 yield 393 p/h, food only 312 p/h.  

With five farms before exodus, and five or more farms after exodus, the output starts at 1560 p/h without bonus.  With a flour mill level 12 for a 24% bonus it starts at 1934.4 p/h.    

Posted By: Northern Ranger
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 04:34
Wow!  Thanks so much everyone for clarifying which town the Exodus research is required in.
Based on the dev instructions, I've been mistakenly concentrating on the city issuing the command, instead of the city to be moved.  i.e. Deliberately not upgrading the warehouse to level 20 because it's going to be knocked back down to 12 when I move it.  It would've taken me a long time to discover this the hard way.

Cheers!
NR

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 05:57
Exodus is like a recurring nightmare... I would rather give up oxygen than move another city.

Posted By: Rohk
Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 06:23

The storage capacity after exodus (storehouse 12 + warehouse 12) will be 94087 of everything, and allegedly this also affects advanced resources, e.g., 100K beer would be too much.

With five farms before exodus, and five or more farms after exodus, the output starts at 1560 p/h without bonus.  With a flour mill level 12 for a 24% bonus it starts at 1934.4 p/h.    

I can confirm that it does affect advanced resources but as usual, not the resources that already have no hard limit (gold, research, mana). Any basic or advanced resources you have will drop to the new storage level if you had more than 94087 of them (except the ones with no limit). 

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 06:39

Yes I didn't add many numbers to this guide. I have yet to finish my exodus as I planned to do, to confirm some more information ie. regarding spells.

I also see Rohk answered you. Indeed all resources are limited by storage; except gold, mana, and research points.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 06:45
Guide update:

- Storage limit after exodus has been added to the cost section.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 08:30

I have yet to finish my exodus as I planned to do, to confirm some more information ie. regarding spells.
Fun info, a spell on a city in transit is not automagically cancelled.  I'm curious what happens in a week when my exodus arrives.  The city should be out of range for Nature's Earth from my capital at its destination.  For Nature's Mine teleporting the target out of range does not break the spell.  But of course teleport and exodus are different.

A remotely related situation is razing a blighted city, the raze does not automatically terminate the blight, i.e., the blight continues to burn mana at "abandoned town" (an ordinary square on the map) until it is explicitly cancelled. Ouch 

Date Posted: 01 Jun 2012 at 09:23

I have yet to finish my exodus as I planned to do, to confirm some more information ie. regarding spells.
Fun info, a spell on a city in transit is not automagically cancelled.  I'm curious what happens in a week when my exodus arrives.  The city should be out of range for Nature's Earth from my capital at its destination.  For Nature's Mine teleporting the target out of range does not break the spell.  But of course teleport and exodus are different.

A remotely related situation is razing a blighted city, the raze does not automatically terminate the blight, i.e., the blight continues to burn mana at "abandoned town" (an ordinary square on the map) until it is explicitly cancelled. Ouch 

Very interesting.  Tomorrow I should be setting my exodus, and I will see what happens there. Perhaps it's only the spells regarding a mage tower above level 12, or distance that will be affected. I'll be sure to update.

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Jun 2012 at 10:55
So I've just now set out my exodus. My mage tower had not been above level 12. All 3 spells that I had up (Death Rune, Nourishment for Ally, and a Wood bonus for one of my other towns) have dissipated. A spell from a different town is still listed as active on my moving town. When my exodus lands, I will see if it is still there.

EDIT: Yes it's still there. I will now edit my guide to share this information.

-------------

Posted By: Rohk
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 00:37
Here's a question. This has probably been answered before but if you want to exodus a square to one within the 10 square radius and you need to claim Sovereignty level 5 on it to allow the move, does it have to be claimed by the city that you want to move or just any one of your cities?

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 01:00
Originally posted by Rohk Rohk wrote:

Here's a question. This has probably been answered before but if you want to exodus a square to one within the 10 square radius and you need to claim Sovereignty level 5 on it to allow the move, does it have to be claimed by the city that you want to move or just any one of your cities?

I used the same city as the square was adjacent to the town I wanted to move. Sovereignty costs more the further out it is. I believe any city will do.

-------------

Posted By: Zork2012
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 03:09
any city can claim it provided its one of yours

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 06:56

A spell from a different town is still listed as active on my moving town. When my exodus lands, I will see if it is still there.

EDIT: Yes it's still there. I will now edit my guide to share this information.
 Same here, by far out of range for a new geo spell from my capital.  So now I got a nice enhanced 12.8% clay bonus at a new location with 4 clay pits and 3 quarries, where a stone bonus would be better...LOL

Update: But at least the walls were up to level 18, and survived the exodus as expected.  It also has a tavern, and eager to explore Tallimar I accepted the geography quest.  Beer lost, diplos are not supposed to leave the town for five days.Ouch

Posted By: Elf Dragon
Date Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 16:05
Flikex thank you for this awesome Guide trough Exodus Thumbs Up

Posted By: Trelling
Date Posted: 19 Jul 2012 at 09:39
thanks for this ... it was really helpfull ...

-------------
In a world where data is coin of the realm, and
transmissions are guarded by no better sentinels
than man-made codes and corruptible devices,
there is no such thing as a secret.
Dr Kio Masada

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 22:41
Guide is updated due to dev news:
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov12-siege-exodus_topic4446.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06nov12-siege-exodus_topic4446.html

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net