Print Page | Close Window

05May12 - Behaviours and bug fixes

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3519
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 23:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 05May12 - Behaviours and bug fixes
Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Subject: 05May12 - Behaviours and bug fixes
Date Posted: 05 May 2012 at 22:36
NPC Behaviour
The preference for NPCs to merge with their own groups have been throttled on group size. This means smaller groups are now more likely to merge when they encounter each other, but larger groups are less likely to merge. This should reduce occasions of large group growth (from merging) between players scouting and attacking.

Marketplace graphs
Now again shows the max, min, average and volume on mouse over.

Military Research Graphics
Ten more graphics have been added to the Military research tree:
  • Call to Arms
  • Marksman's Somnolence
  • Raid
  • Reinforcement
  • Rider's Domicile
  • Siege Engineering
  • Soldier's Interlude
  • Spearmaster's Respite
  • Standing Army
  • War Machines
An example of these is shown below:

Coastal Tiles in Orders Pages
Coastal tiles on the order page were showing broken images, this has now been fixed.

Globalisation
The server has been hard baked to English globalisation and locale; while this now means all dates and number formats will now be presented in English rather than user specific language - it will enable us to track down some elusive and occasional issues more easily.

Town Builds
In rare circumstances with multi-towns it was occasionally possible to accidentally switch building types on plots to overwrite the existing building plot with a clone of another building type to create multiples of the same building type. This has been corrected and prevented.

Replies:
Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 01:11
Compliments to Cerb on the awesome new graphics!

I assume the NPC change will make it a bit less likely that I will wake up to see a myriad of scuttlers at the gates of my cities as my townspeople glance out their windows nervously.  But also less likely that the pack of rats I sent my 60 knights to will be a legion by the time they get there.

Posted By: Think
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 02:06
New graphics are awesome!  Thanks for the updates.  When will be able to claim food sovs on water tiles?

Posted By: misterchris
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 02:41
Yes time for the anti fishing brigade to be put down!!

Posted By: Diomedes
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 04:31
Well done, all you wonderful Devs - keep up the good work Thumbs Up

Posted By: Subatoi
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 05:36
wow nice

ty

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:59
Originally posted by Think Think wrote:

New graphics are awesome!  Thanks for the updates.  When will be able to claim food sovs on water tiles?

I have sov on several coastal tiles already... I pointed this out on the day of release though I guess any 'fix' will be pending on the next stage of updates.

edit: Apparently there has been a patch to prevent armies camping on coastal tiles now.

Posted By: Brisinger
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 13:49
Originally posted by GM ThunderCat GM ThunderCat wrote:

Marketplace graphs

About this, the values are supposed to show on the white background in the top left corner, right? I have the values showing behind the background instead. I'm using FF 12.0.

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 17:43
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Originally posted by Think Think wrote:

I have sov on several coastal tiles already... I pointed this out on the day of release though I guess any 'fix' will be pending on the next stage of updates.

edit: Apparently there has been a patch to prevent armies camping on coastal tiles now.

I think they also said they were canceling the sov.  You might want to petition that.

Posted By: Fenrisulven
Date Posted: 06 May 2012 at 19:33
Nice updates.
I hope that when water sov is released that landlocked water (lakes/lochs/etc.) are seeded with food as well so that us landlubbers can take advantage of the new technology without having to participate in a land grabbing exercise on river and coastal squares.

Posted By: Rohk
Date Posted: 08 May 2012 at 00:44
Originally posted by Brisinger Brisinger wrote:

Marketplace graphs

About this, the values are supposed to show on the white background in the top left corner, right? I have the values showing behind the background instead. I'm using FF 12.0.

I have the newest version of Chrome and it displays fine for me.

Thanks for the fix TC and the graphics Cerberus!

Posted By: Gimli Son of Groin
Date Posted: 10 May 2012 at 16:46
Wow, it is a lot better... Thanks GMs!

-------------
“A single dream is more powerful than a thousand realities.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Posted By: Covmeister
Date Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by Rohk Rohk wrote:

Originally posted by Brisinger Brisinger wrote:

Marketplace graphs

I have the newest version of Chrome and it displays fine for me.

Thanks for the fix TC and the graphics Cerberus!

I use FF 12.0 and have the same problem of the values being behind the box

Posted By: Anjire
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 16:12
The algorithm/methodology for NPC behavior/growth may need another pass.  25M growth in one day is probably a bit much and based on the troops in motion chart it will only become more and more ridiculous. 

http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/HeraldMilitary

Posted By: Yhina
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 16:59
Indeed. But guess it could be the lack of other flags activated such as hunger ... ( werent they supposed to hunt each other? , and also humanoid :P   )... altho considering it might take a while to have full implementation, by then, we could be literally overrun by them :)

And regarding moves, considering how many NPC groups are, and how much they move, maybe they should be removed from stadistics, or flagged elsewhere..

Posted By: dunnoob
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 22:54
Originally posted by Yhina Yhina wrote:

maybe they should be removed from stadistics, or flagged elsewhere.. 
 Seconded, as long as critters don't attack players I'm more interested in moving troops that could hurt me.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 13:31
Originally posted by Anjire Anjire wrote:

The algorithm/methodology for NPC behavior/growth may need another pass.  25M growth in one day is probably a bit much and based on the troops in motion chart it will only become more and more ridiculous. 

The troops in motion as of my posting yesterday showed just over 100M, today, not quite 24 hours later and the number of troops in motion is set to break 200M...

My biggest concern is whether or not the out of control spike in NPC growth will affect the speed of play due what I assume will be a greatly increased demand of resources just to handle NPC calculations.  I suppose, if the # of actual groups of NPC's remains relatively constant then it shouldn't adversely affect game play.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 15:25
Ye number of calculations should remain relatively constant I guess... just the size of the numbers in the calculations increases.

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 15:43
Where are they all?  All my cities seem to be in places where there is nothing larger than a pack.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 15:51
I had that too... I listed all the NPC sizes in my visible range a couple days ago... around 20 groups of predominately 'several' and 'pack', largest was 'gathering'.

Although last night I did have a glance around and noticed 5-6 legions, and 1 myriad even. Guess it's all pretty random.

Very nice observation Anj made re: troops moving though. It does seem like a pretty exponential growth at the moment - will be interesting to see if things level off in a few days... after the 50M increase yesterday.

Maybe it isn't a problem - but something exciting coming our way? ^^

Posted By: Avion
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 15:57
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

Where are they all?  All my cities seem to be in places where there is nothing larger than a pack.

I've got the opposite - not enough small stuff to practice on...Ouch

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 16:00
Originally posted by Avion Avion wrote:

Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

I've got the opposite - not enough small stuff to practice on...Ouch

Send me a message in game with a couple of locations to hit.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 16:01
I guess that can be frustrating Avion - others have mentioned the same thing.

Remember that you can still just suicide commanders+some troops into larger NPC groups and still get good exp. I know it isn't ideal because you need to spend some time resurrecting the commanders but at least you can still do something.

(try to send troop sizes that match the same as your total commander's strength for the best kill ratios - sending excess troops can actually make things worse - and pick on weak NPCs obviously [rats, dogs, wolves etc.])

Posted By: Janosch
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 17:18
You are doing a great job! Thanks!

-------------
You like Democracy? Join the http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic3448_post42792.html#42792" rel="nofollow - Old Republic !

Posted By: Garth
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 20:41
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

I guess that can be frustrating Avion - others have mentioned the same thing.

Remember that you can still just suicide commanders+some troops into larger NPC groups and still get good exp. I know it isn't ideal because you need to spend some time resurrecting the commanders but at least you can still do something.

(try to send troop sizes that match the same as your total commander's strength for the best kill ratios - sending excess troops can actually make things worse - and pick on weak NPCs obviously [rats, dogs, wolves etc.])

Having never used the Raid option, I'm not sure about this, but wouldn't it prevent the player's forces from being destroyed in many cases?

Posted By: N. Chadgod
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 22:26
You should lose 1/3 of your troops on a raid and your commanders can die.

Posted By: scottfitz
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 16:06
I still think the numbers need to be tweaked a bit, still seems like way too many large groups of critters, at least in my neck of the woods. This feels like a huge advantage to those of us who do not need one. How are smaller players supposed to level commanders in this environment?

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 16:16

The troops in motion as of my posting yesterday showed just over 100M, today, not quite 24 hours later and the number of troops in motion is set to break 200M...

My biggest concern is whether or not the out of control spike in NPC growth will affect the speed of play due what I assume will be a greatly increased demand of resources just to handle NPC calculations.  I suppose, if the # of actual groups of NPC's remains relatively constant then it shouldn't adversely affect game play.

So growth pattern in the last few days:
75M -> 100M
100M -> 200M
200M - 600M?

I hope the server and database can handle this growth.

Posted By: Starry
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 16:22
I hope so too Anjire, I have experienced periods of lag during the past couple of days, I wonder if it is related?     

-------------
CEO, Harmless?
Founder of Toothless?

"Truth never dies."
-HonoredMule

Posted By: dunnoob
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 17:20
Originally posted by N. Chadgod N. Chadgod wrote:

You should lose 1/3 of your troops on a raid and your commanders can die.
Actually they will die if you mange to lose a third of your troops.  I love raid before attack manoeuvres, but just raid when you can't attack might not work as expected.Dead

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 17:57

So growth pattern in the last few days:
75M -> 100M
100M -> 200M
200M - 600M?
The food scarcity limit calculation on group growth has now been correctly factored in - and alas many NPC groups will be starving and decreasing in size over time.

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06jun2012-npc-food-network-issues_topic3640_post46448.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/06jun2012-npc-food-network-issues_topic3640_post46448.html

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 18:27

The food scarcity limit calculation on group growth has now been correctly factored in - and alas many NPC groups will be starving and decreasing in size over time.

I'm not sure if this is a secret, but is food scarcer around icecaps and deserts? 

It would be also nice if the NPC sizes stay mostly in medium numbers so that the player actions could actually decide which NPC is going to be found more around in a place. 

When there is a myriad of something in a place, there is no way an average player is going to get rid of that kind of critter from around his towns. 

Could you please also consider increasing the population of critters by sending food? I know atleast one person in my alliance who frequently sends food vans to elephants because she thinks they are cute. 

Posted By: jordigui
Date Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 19:18
Nice idea! Can we feed elephants!? or other animals ... 
Carnivorous animals could be feeded with diplos ...
 TH 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net