Print Page | Close Window

Long live the Republic!

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: The World
Forum Name: Alliance Recruitment
Forum Description: If you run an alliance and need members, or if you want to join an alliance on the Elgea Continent, post here.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3448
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 17:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Long live the Republic!
Posted By: Janosch
Subject: Long live the Republic!
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 00:40

A friendly hello to the Illy-Community

The Old Republic [TOR] is looking for members of all races, sizes, experience levels and play-styles!

Membership requirements:

• Minimum pop 2000 (If you are smaller you are very welcome in http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/join-tor-university-training-alliance_topic3571.html" rel="nofollow - our training alliance The Old Republic University ).
  • You should be interested in our republic political system.
  • You need to be able and willing to communicate and coordinate with your alliance.
  • We require our members to build strong armies and defend the freedom of the Old Republic and its members. 

Brief introduction:

The Old Republic is the only truly democratic alliance of Illyriad (with a constitution, a parliament, an executive and judicative body). We have a participative and representative governmental structure. Our leaders are elected and accountable to the Senate. In many alliances the important decisions (for example about peace and war) are made by large players only and small players are not even properly informed. In other words, a few players exercise all power and restrict the independence of the rest. Therefore we are committed to democracy, mutual defence, transparency and to respect the sovereignty of each member

http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance/Alliance/516" rel="nofollow - For more information check out or alliance profile and forum!

Settlement policy:

We are open to players on the entire map. But we do have a central hub area in Azura (south-west of the map). We do respect the ten square zone of players inside or next to our hub. We are interested in good relations with our neighbours. We particularly ask others to respect our ten square zone inside our hub area. We can offer excellent settlement locations for our members. Our hub area is roughly depicted below and above.

Some additional stuff:

• You are free to leave again whenever you desire. Only members that settle inside our hub need to exodus there cities in case they leave (this is not valid for players that join and already have cities in our hub).
  • We have a well-structured training program offered by the Old Republic University and the Republic Legions.
  • We have a strong military branch and many trade oriented players.
  • We are particularly looking for players that demonstrate the ability to pursue their own goals and propose policy directions in our Senate.
  • Due to our political structure, we offer a new political dimension in this game and therefore a new possibilities to enjoy this game and get involved in various ways.
  • The Senate has to approve the budget. Therefore, our tax will only be spend for projects the majority of the Republic will benefit from.

In case you are interested in joining such an alliance or have any questions, feel free to contact our leadership or any other player.

Edit: Spelling correction, updates

Replaced "non-authoritarian" with "democratic"

Latest Edit: Added settlement policy. Minor changes.

-------------
You like Democracy? Join the http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic3448_post42792.html#42792" rel="nofollow - Old Republic !

Replies:
Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 02:51
The only non-authoritarian alliance in Illy?  ScottFitz will find this quite amusing.

Seriously, best wishes to all.  Will be interesting to see how it evolves further.

Posted By: Tordenkaffen
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 06:32
Complimentory lightsabers for all new members!

Posted By: Captain Ganoes Paran
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 10:58
Good luck to you TOR :)

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 13:38

Thanks. Since the end of LWO (which was referred to as anarchistic somewhere), I think there is no non-authoritarian alliance?

Wikipedia defines authoritarian as: “In politics, an authoritarian government is one in which political authority is concentrated in a small group of politicians.”

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarianism" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authoritarianism )

Properly most alliances are based on a very cooperative style. At the end however, the alliance leadership makes the important decisions (therefore the alliance is authoritarian). Are there other alliances that have polls to make decisions? I do not think so. But if I am mistaken, I am happy to fix that mistake.

Posted By: Telumehtar
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 21:58
Great, long live The Old Republic!

Clap ClapClap ClapClapClap ClapClapClapClap

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 01:23
Janosch, most Crow alliances vote before making significant decisions such as war.  The crazy folks in HUGcr even talk it over in alliance chat before issuing invites to new members, I hear.

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 03:53
"The Old Republic is the only non-authoritarian alliance of Illyriad."

This is a patently false assertion.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 12:15

Okay. I did not want to offend any of you Postmaster Generals Wink. I have replaced “non-authoritarian” with “democratic”.

I do not want to intensify this theoretical debate. But I am not sure, if occasional votes make you (patently) “non-authoritarian”.

-------------
You like Democracy? Join the http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic3448_post42792.html#42792" rel="nofollow - Old Republic !

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 14:18
What do you do in time of war?

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 16:52
Fight! What do you do?

I have indeed realised the need for quick decisions in times of war and crisis.

Therefore we are in the process of founding the Republic Legions. It will be the first large guild of the Republic and eventually later a sister alliance. It might also be a basis for a possible training alliance. It might work like this:

The Legion:

Unit

Unit upkeep

Soldiers

Centurion

125-500

Cohort (six centurions)

750-3000

Legion(four cohorts)

3000-12000

Training Program:

Recruit (Population requirements: 0-300)
A Recruit is trained to become a member of the Republic Legions. You have to understand the basics of Illy before you can join the ranks of our glorious Army.

Legionnaire (Population requirements: 300-600)
The Legionnaire is the normal soldier of the Republic Legions. When you are a Legionnaire you have to follow the commands of the military chain, if a crisis occurs or you decide to participate in a tournament or manoeuvre. You will still feel quite confused and need time to learn. Do not worry about military attacks. If there is a threat, it is likely thieves. It is unlikely useful to build military units. You have a much more important and very difficult task: Build your second city and decide if and where to relocate your capital.

Decanus (Population requirements: 600-1000)
The Decanus commands a contubernium (eight man tent party). You are in a phase to build your first troops now. Move out of your city and fight some giant rats, baboons or roaming trolls and other NPCs to get some experience with troops and level your commanders.

Optio (Population requirements: 1000-1500)
There is one Optio for each Centurion (a legion has 24 centurions divided in four cohorts), they are appointed by the centurion from within the ranks to act as his second in command. You can only become an Optio if you are a full member of the Republic. You start building up your first centurion.

Centurion (Population requirements: 1500-2000)
The rank of centurion is an officer rank that included many grades, meaning centurions have very good prospects for promotion. There are a total of 24 centurions. The pilus prior centurion and the three pilus prior centurions are each followed by five lower rank centurions. Each centurion should be prepared to lead his centurion to battles or participate in tournaments and manoeuvres.

Centurion (pilus prior) (Population requirements: 2000 and more)
Within the second to fourth cohorts, the commander of each cohort's 1st century is known as a pilus prior and is in command of his entire respective cohort when in battle. A cohort has 750-3000 legionnaires. The Pilus prior centurions were the senior centurions of the cohorts. While the legion was in battle formation, the Pilus Prior was given command of the entire cohort. You start to build up an entire cohort as pilius prior centurion. You are expected to help with your entire forces to defend the interest of the republic.

Higher Ranks:

Centurion (primus pilus) (Troop Requirements: One cohort)
The most senior centurion in a legion was known as the primus pilus who directly commanded the 1st century of the first cohort and commanded the whole first cohort when in battle. First File: The Primus Pilus was the commanding centurion of the first cohort and the senior centurion of the entire legion. As pilius prior you should get involved in the planning of the military manoeuvres and be prepared to fight with your cohort for the Republic.

Prefect (Troop Requirements: Two cohorts)
The Camp Prefect is third in command of the legion. Generally he is a long serving veteran from a lower social status than the tribune whom he outranked, and who previously had served as primus pilus and finished his 25 years with the legions. He was used as a senior officer in charge of training a legion.

Tribune (Requirements: Must have been a Consul, President of the Assembly or a Praetor.)
Named for the broad striped tunic worn by men of high rank, the tribune can be appointed by the Consul or the Assembly. Though generally quite young and less experienced than the Prefect, he served as second in command of the legion, behind the legate. Because of his age and inexperience he was not the actual second in command in battle, but if the legate died he would take command of the legion. This tribunate was often a early, but optional, step in a young man's political career.

Legate (Legatus legionis): (Requirements: One Legion & Must have been a Consul or President of the Assembly)
The overall legion commander.

-------------

Posted By: Sorley
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 12:15
The Old Republic may be old, but all the best things in life are. Like wine! Wink

Posted By: Goatface
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 23:48
Sorley, don't forget the cheeses! Ah, cheese. Why isn't that a resource? Some goat-y cheese on a slab o' rye bread...

But unlike bread and cheese, the Old Republic isn't just good and old - it's an Old Republic with Nifty New ideas! What are the benefits of Democracy, TOR-style? Let me list just some of a few-

- Problems get resolved quickly and efficiently; no need to revisit the same tired old problem ten hours later, exhausted from the parliamentary debates of bickering nobles that go on for ages and never amount to anything.

- Allocation of resources in a manner that helps fledglings develop, so that those fledgelings can help others, and so on. Don't mistake decentralization for lack of ability to provide aid!

- You've just had a city invaded, and some petty viscount with vague ties to a royal bloodline and delusions o' grandeur switches control of the town proper to the invaders. The heck, right? But with the marvels of a free populace, every peasant'll fight to the bitter end to remain free... If we can't avoid fighting all together, of course, and make a far better future.

Because that is what the the Old Republic is all about, my friends. Give us a shout - even if you're already tied into your own alliance by blood ties, choice, or random bad chance and questionable drink the night before, we're friendly and like to hear from others.

Long life to the Republic!

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 02:52
I love the document posted above by Janosch. Goatface, you are hilarious. Y'all represent TOR very well indeed.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Goatface
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 04:51
Aw, thank you very much! I also love Janosch's document - it's flavorful and interesting, and a good example of (I believe) of how TOR does things. And legions!

And again - thanks. If I can make a few people laugh or smile in between planning sessions and building up their tiles, then my unstated secret mission as part of the Republic - bringing the fun! - has been achieved!

Posted By: Conclave
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:39
Originally posted by Janosch Janosch wrote:

Okay. I did not want to offend any of you Postmaster Generals Wink. I have replaced “non-authoritarian” with “democratic”. 

Oh by the gods! What a terrible turn of events! The Republic is in danger of embracing Demos Cracy? The rule of the mob? Oh please no!

I urge all unalligned patricians to join The Old Republic immediately in order to counter this terrifying philosophy. Clearly a Republic of well educated, well bred rulers is a fine idea. But to let the peasants have a say in ruling! Horrible!

If anybody comes in to my ancient ancestral seat to tell the plebians that they should have a 'vote', or indeed that that they should have any 'rights' at all beyond what I choose to give them, then the trouble-maker will be flayed alive and then hung in a cage at the mouth of the harbour for all arriving ships to see.

Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

What do you do in time of war?

I personally would invite our enemies round for a fine dinner. I would provide the finest wines and dancing girls. I would be charming. I would explain how much more profitable friendly trade would be, than destructive war.

If that did not work, I would then find out which of their children they valued the most highly.

Posted By: Gilthoniel
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 11:31
It's good to see new alliances forging their own way without looking for the patronage of the senior players. TLR does that, so does BSH and now TOR are on the scene as well. Keep it independent, build it yourself and have fun!

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 13:19
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

I love the document posted above by Janosch. Goatface, you are hilarious. Y'all represent TOR very well indeed.

Thank you.

-------------

Posted By: Telumehtar
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 22:22
 Ying Yang

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 01:18

This might currently not be of major interest to many of you. But I want to let you know that THE OLD REPUBLIC has reformed its political structure. Maybe, I was too much carried away by the details of creating a Republic. So we had to drastically simplify the entire structure of our Republic. Things do work much more smoothly since the reform of our Covenant (the name for our constitution). I have mad this simple graph to show how things work:

Maybe more alliances should adapt a real participative structure? Some political scientists claim that democracies fight fewer wars. Not sure if I should believe that. Anyway, players that do not want to participate in the current war are very welcome to join. Refugees, republicans, democrats and even royalists or communists are welcome to pm me (we do not take fascists).

-------------

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 01:31
Democracies do fight fewer wars, as they need much more time discussing, checking with existing laws, asking for money from other political institutions... etc.
And in that time, at least the hot blood is gone, making place for cold war LOL

And yes, 100 people is too few for adapting really complex systems, although your new system is still quite detailed.

Next problem is, to animate all alliance members to participation Wink

Posted By: ES2
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 01:53

(we do not take fascists).

Aww

Cry

-------------
Eternal Fire

Posted By: Rorgash
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 02:27

The Legion:

Unit

Unit upkeep

Soldiers

Centurion

125-500

Cohort (six centurions)

750-3000

Legion(four cohorts)

3000-12000

I must say that the level of your ranks are extremely low... if you keep them like that you might aswell not even try to have a military :P

I mean 12k troops? hahaha better have atleat 20 members that strong if you want to be able to challenge even one Illy Warrior LOL

-------------

Posted By: Chaos Armor
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 02:44
Originally posted by Rorgash Rorgash wrote:

I mean 12k troops? hahaha better have atleat 20 members that strong if you want to be able to challenge even one Illy Warrior LOL

I just imagined that you, Rorgash, said that last sentence in a very deep voice while puffing out your chest and menacingly pointing your knife at your audience.

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 02:47
Originally posted by Hora Hora wrote:

And in that time, at least the hot blood is gone, making place for cold war LOL

LOL LOL
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 02:57

I must say that the level of your ranks are extremely low... if you keep them like that you might aswell not even try to have a military :P

That was rather an idea to encourage small players to build a military but not a too large one. The entire idea was embedded in a training program. It was also an approach to establish a military command network because we are also a military alliance. However, the training plan and the military command structur have been split for excactly that reason. Takes a while until you can participate in a conflict like the one going on now (but I am sure you are aware). The training plan was so good, though that it served as basis for TOR-U, our training alliance: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/join-tor-university-training-alliance_topic3571.html

-------------

Posted By: Rorgash
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 11:23
for training new players, then i can understand the extremely low reqs, but then how would your real military look like?

Just for a helpful reference, a Illy warrior has between 100.000 to 1.000.000 troops depending on size. and 100k is small army, depending on which type of unit, you can have that in a single town.

-------------

Posted By: Magnificence
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 11:38
LWO Lives ! Dont believe the hype!

Ouch

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 15:04

for training new players, then i can understand the extremely low reqs, but then how would your real military look like?

Just for a helpful reference, a Illy warrior has between 100.000 to 1.000.000 troops depending on size. and 100k is small army, depending on which type of unit, you can have that in a single town.

Sadly, I am not entitled to inform the community about the military strength of TOR. What I wanted to communicate, if we are attacked, there is a military chain of command and we are not going to debate until our last city will be razed. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 15:05
Originally posted by Magnificence Magnificence wrote:

LWO Lives ! Dont believe the hype!

Ouch

That is nice to hear! Beer

-------------

Posted By: Bray'vdayv
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 18:25
I'm a trainee in the University, and I'm really impressed with the way everything is set up democratically! Love this Alliance! LONG LIVE THE REPUBLIC! 

Posted By: Magnificence
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 23:20
Im speaking for Zolvon here, due to the fact he does not frequent the forums. 

We had a skuffle with the BSH con-fereracy, and dropped from 22nd on the alliance ranking to well back in the pack. The plan was and still is to reform at some stage, but that's an aside.

LWO's style of governance wasn't designed to be anarchic. The premise was representative democracy, ie every member holds an equal share of the power, although there was no structure to how decisions were made, it worked well. It's also similar to the way that SHADE is run, and again apart from some minor tensions on the odd occasion it makes for very enjoyable game play.

It's good to see an alliance trying something different, all the best with it Janosh.

Clap

(EDIT: the LWO ticker is now 'Laugh')

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 23:51
Having no structure at all sometimes is more difficult than having precast ones...

Predicting how models work out is impossible, as all depends on the members and the circumstances.
In most other browser games, oligarchic or single leader alliances make up the mayority.

But as Illyriad is different in any aspect, best wishes to both systems Thumbs Up

Posted By: Gemley
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 21:04
Update: For anybody wishing to join TOR and then join the legions it is important for you to know that I have changed the requirements.

Requirments to join TOR Legions:
1. You must have at least 10,000 population
2. You must have at least 1 barracks at level 20
3. You must have at least 1,500 total soldiers in at least one city

-------------
�I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend� - J.R.R. Tolkien

Posted By: sebadecu
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2012 at 03:00
We are currently designing a new defence program in the Republic Legion to learn how to maintain up to 100,000 units in each of your cities. Players loyal to the cause of the republic are very welcome. Size and power of TOR are increasing constantly. TOR will be a power of the future! We invite particularly experienced players from both sides of the war to leave behind the terror of the current Trove War and rebuild in a neutral, friendly and chat active environment.

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2013 at 14:00
I made some minor changes to the first post and added the latest changes in our settlement policy.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net