Forum Description: For everything related to the Elgea Continent
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3439
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 10:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Shrouded in Mistery: the Allure of the Misted Land
Posted By: Silent/Steadfast
Subject: Shrouded in Mistery: the Allure of the Misted Land
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 23:50
The misted lands, located from -645/747 to -664/765, seem to the casual eye to be a big, dormant patch of mist.  They aren't like the HOC, expanding as units are sent to it, or like the fortune teller, shifting place every day.  They don't appear to be man, elf, dwarf, or orc-made, like the fortress of shadows, the steamtastic brewery, or the temple of knowledge.  They are probably the least interesting of all of illy's know mysteries.  

However, if we take a closer look, we see odd things in the mist.  For starters, every misted square has the option to harvest and send resources.  

Secondly, some "bleak mountain" squares stick out of the mist, while others do not.  The ones that do stick out have different resource configurations than the ones that don't.  

Thirdly, and possibly most importantly, there are two sets of three mountains that stick out prominently from the mist.  They are located at -632/755 and -639/760.  The second of these mountains is the more interesting one, as it has a resource distribution of 5/5/5/5/5.  

Lastly, the plains square at -634/752 has a resource distribution of 1/14/3/2/5.  

What can we gather from these clues?  I think that in order to solve the mystery, resources must be sent and harvested from all the extruding bleak mountain squares.  There are probably other steps as well, however I can't think of what they might be, given the clues presented.  This is certainly a complex mystery, and may also be a dangerous one.  Who knows what is lurking beneath the mists?  

-------------
"Semantics are no protection from a 50 Megaton Thermonuclear Stormcrow."-Yggdrassil (June 21, 2011 6:48 PM)
"SCROLL ya donut!" Urgorr The Old (September 1, 2011 4:08 PM)

Replies:
Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 00:23
After meeting Audrey's children, I don't want to find out!!!

Posted By: Mafro
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 00:34
What a difference a stiff breeze makes! Here's a view of the Not-So-Misted-Lands....

Squares of potential interest include:
-635|765: Abandoned Lodge, right on the outskirts of the Misted Lands.
-640|763: Ruined Tower, the only building inside the Misted Lands themselves.
-634|752: Plains, with 14 clay - who's heard of such a thing?
-639|760: Bleak Mountains, with 5/5/5/5/5 resources - again, who's heard of such a thing?
-631|748: Ancient Forest, the only one in the Misted Lands and possibly the only other NPC spawn location other than the Ruined Tower.

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 00:40
Maybe it's just weather...

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 13:18
Maybe it is just some gratuitous precipitation to make our players from the British Isles & Seattle feel at home...

Posted By: byakuyaa
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 14:18
Nice to have such weather popping up at Illy :) ... mayb it is an AI in testing ....only time will tell...

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 14:33
I don't think the devs release content into the game that is just a 'test' without it having some other purpose in its own right.

Posted By: Marquesta
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 07:38
I sent a van, this is what I got back.

Your trade mission from Balrothery enters The Misted Lands, heading towards [-638|753] in Kal Tirikan.

Within the fog they cannot see even an inch in front of their faces.

They blunder around for a while hoping for some break in the mists, but all in vain and they head home - defeated by the swirling, clammy, enshrouding air.

-------------
~~Marquesta
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them...

Posted By: Mandarins31
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 11:23
jut need to note when the fog generally is on and when it isnt, and start investigations when there is no fog imo... would ask to be somehow coordinated in the launching times.

Posted By: Mandarins31
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 11:28
Also, there is a thing about those emerging mounts.... not all that appear without the fog, are visible when there is the fog... also, those 2 montain range seem particuliar

Posted By: dunnoob
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 11:52
Originally posted by Marquesta Marquesta wrote:

Your trade mission from Balrothery enters The Misted Lands, heading towards [-638|753] in Kal Tirikan.

Caravans from Sødermark, belonging to dunnoob arrived to gather Resources at  http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-638/753" rel="nofollow - -638|753  but found the resources were no longer there, and so are returning home.

Ditto at -636|752, so don't try to harvest at impassable terrain in the Misted Lands.Stern Smile 

Posted By: Mafro
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 19:01
Oh, just realized I inadvertently misled some folks with an earlier post.

The Misted Lands are always misted, as far as I know. I produced the non-misted view of the map with a bit of Photoshop magic in order to make the discussion/investigation easier.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 14:43
Perhaps we need 13 dwarfs and 1 hobbit to get there Tongue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHjgKLGVTjI" rel="nofollow -

Posted By: Gilthoniel
Date Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 10:08
Hora. Take a bow. That was brilliant ^^  LOL

Posted By: Rosenfield
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 16:28
You can also see the unmisted terrain using the web inspector in Chrome and Safari (can probably do something similar in FF and later versions of IE). Right-click on the map to bring up the context menu, select 'Inspect element.' A few canvas elements show up, but the one of concern:

<canvas id="mapCities" width="500" height="500" style="position:absolute;top:11px;left:15px;" unselectable="on"></canvas>

If you add to its style

display: none;

the mist "clears." Interesting how the mountains look different without the mist in place.

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2013 at 17:18
In case anyone is wondering, I have previously harvested iron from the Ancient Forest at http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-631/748" rel="nofollow - -631|748 , even though it is in the Misted Lands. The square is presently showing stone. I assume you could also harvest the herbs that appear on that patch.

The Misted Lands remain impervious to my diplomats, of course.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net