Forum Description: Forum for the ongoing alliance tournament
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3220
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 08:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Army configuration
Posted By: geofrey
Subject: Army configuration
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 20:40
Why are people spreading out their armies to take up every slot and every division in their armies? 

My best guess is increases the length of battle calculation than can potentially bug out the way things are calculated. Is this accurate? Or is it just to annoy anyone who send a scout report? 

Replies:
Posted By: Llyorn Of Jaensch
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 20:45
You can have 5 Divisions and 5 commanders.

By allocating an even number of troops to each division and allocating a commander per Division you advance each commander equally.

-------------
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 20:49
so what about an army with 5 divisions and only 1 commander? 

And why so few troops per army, check out this sample of the scout report i got from the tourny square in larn. There are about another 20 armies all with a near identical configuration: 

Army: Anise 4
Division: A4 d1
Commander: Longbow 4Longbowmen Longbowman1
Troops:Militiamen Militiamen4
Troops:Pikemen Pikemen4
Troops:Swordsmen Swordsmen4
Troops:Men-at-Arms Men-at-Arms4
Troops:Archers Archers4
Troops:Longbowmen Longbowmen4
Troops:Charioteers Charioteers4
Troops:Knights Knights4
Division: A4 d2
Division: A4 d3
Division: A4 d4
Division: A4 d5

Posted By: SugarFree
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 20:57
it's about strategy man, strategy. run your tests and decide what fits you...
seems exiting, can barely wait till i can have such armies

-------------
Nuisance

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 21:13
Originally posted by SugarFree SugarFree wrote:

it's about strategy man, strategy. run your tests and decide what fits you...
seems exiting, can barely wait till i can have such armies

I agree, there is some sort of strategy at play here. But I do not see its military purpose. 

The only purpose seems to be to increase your scout/battle report. Making it near impossible to forward out. 

There is a chance they are playing on the percentage losses to increase chances of holding the square. In the case of the 4 units of each per division, this means that someone would have to inflict at least 25% damages to the defenders in order to reduce the 4 down to 3. potentially making it difficult to reduce the defenders army size. Maybe that will keep the commanders in the fight longer? 

I'm just trying to figure it out. 

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 22:15
It's because the death rate is diminished slightly. If there are say 10.9 kills per division, the fraction is dropped and there are only 10 kills. Over 5 divisions, you save 5 troops. May not seem like much, but it can make a difference in a close call battle.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 22:41
But dont the divisions without a commander not benefit from commander bonuses? 

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 00:49
I'm not sure on the commanderless division thing.  Maybe because their other commanders are elsewhere.  Or in my case, inconveniently dead.

The small number of troops thing is to take advantage of the rounding down of casualty numbers.  If you send just 1 of a particular troop type, 100% of the troops have to be killed in order for that troop to die.  Similarly, if you send 10 of a troop type, at least 10% of the troops must be killed in order for one troop to die.

For small alliances and smaller players who are trying to eke out any possible molecule of defense, it is at least psychologically satisfying.

Fughan Mandlode of nCrow once held off multiple larger incoming attacks with a commander and 7 stalwarts.

By the by, the commander's name is Snow White ...

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 08:22
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

....If you send just 1 of a particular troop type, 100% of the troops have to be killed in order for that troop to die.  Similarly, if you send 10 of a troop type, at least 10% of the troops must be killed in order for one troop to die....

Ok. Hadn't had that one explained before. Thanks.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 10:02
Also, it gives you a better chance.
Take this analogy. Someone has 1000 knights, and 5 commanders all leveled in Heroism and Vitality. The knights are split across the divisions, so 200 knights per commander. Someone else has the same number of knights, but just 1 commander. Therefore they lose the advantage of four people with 61 times the attack of a normal knight, and 600 health.
Capiche?

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 17:27
Originally posted by geofrey geofrey wrote:

But dont the divisions without a commander not benefit from commander bonuses? 

That's correct. 

-------------

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 02:16
Originally posted by geofrey geofrey wrote:

Why are people spreading out their armies to take up every slot and every division in their armies? 

My best guess is increases the length of battle calculation than can potentially bug out the way things are calculated. Is this accurate? Or is it just to annoy anyone who send a scout report? 

The simple answer is 'rounding errors'.

You can gain a tiny advantage to casualty reduction by spreading your troops into 5 groups (does not improve battle strength at all though. Very 'micromanage-y' players will spread their units across a bunch of division to save a couple troops.

Tactic is most useful if yer using a small number of powerful troops (like elementals, or harvesting NPCs with cavs) - in large battle reports it basically makes no difference but old habits die hard for some folks.

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 14:54
It seems to me the rounding, or lack of it, would only come into play when facing equal amounts of troops OR if you are only part of the defending troops present. 

In the case of the some of the tourny squares, i've seen 30k Bowman in 1 division with 1 commander. And then another 20 divisions all divided up with 10 of each troop. 

I think what is happening is the 30k Bowman eat the minor losses, while the 10 of each troop divisions suffer no losses. I'm not forsure how commander health is calculated, but I think this could mean that the commanders in the 10 of each troop armies stay on the square until all 30k of the bowman are defeated. 

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 23:39
Similar question to the OP....

Why do some people send a 1 unit army against the victory sqs?

I've seen 3f3 do that at several sqs.  vlachko did it at the Tor Carrock sq.

Posted By: Berde
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2012 at 00:41
Participation credit.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net