Print Page | Close Window

06FEB12 - Infrastructure Change

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3151
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 18:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 06FEB12 - Infrastructure Change
Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Subject: 06FEB12 - Infrastructure Change
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 19:10
Infrastructure Changes 

Today we have successfully rolled out a number of large infrastructure changes:

CONTENT DELIVERY NETWORK
We are now using the Akamai platform (95,000 servers in 71 countries) to provide a  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Content_delivery_network" rel="nofollow - Content Delivery Network  for all our images, scripts and stylesheets. This premier CDN caches content at global edge locations saving you, the player, time as the requested content is received from within your region instead of coming from our server. This both reduces the server load, increasing page responsiveness and means your computer doesn't need to go as far to get the images - again increasing responsiveness.

DISTRIBUTED IN-MEMORY CACHING
We are new using the http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/appfabric.aspx" rel="nofollow - AppFabric  distributed cache system to do load-balanced fault tolerant in-memory caching across our web-servers. It provides applications with high-speed access, scale, and high availability, to application data. The benefit is a widely available service for optimizing performance. 

Routing in a partitioned cache with secondary caches

Our use of this system will increase over time and it allows us to grow our player-base to far larger numbers while at the same time improving illyriad's responsiveness and performance. 

IMPROVED SECURITY
We have made a number of security enhancements - for various reasons we won't be going into the detail of this. However, you will notice a pause if you enter your password in wrong (this has been there for a while).

INCREASED VISIBILITY
We've increased the contrast of chat, resource bars and increased the general font size of the Illyriad interface to improve readability.

(SUSPENDED) PLAYER NAMES
Player names that become (Suspended) are no longer returned to the pool of available player names.

RESOURCE BAR BUTTON HIGHLIGHT
Once again the advance resources button now correctly highlights rather than just going white when you mouse over it.

SITTER CHAT
The issue where sitters chat's would lag behind the current account they were operating should now be resolved.

ALLIANCE CHAT
When players join, leave or a kicked from an alliance they should now immediately have that reflected in their access to the respective alliance chat.

If you experience any issues for these, or any other changes, please raise a petition in game so we may resolve them. 

We thank you, the players, for your continued support of Illyriad.

Replies:
Posted By: Uaithne
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 19:23
Thank you Thank you.  While some of this is over my head, your dedication and hard work is greatly appreciated.

Posted By: Babbens
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 19:44
Indeed!
Thank you!

Posted By: jeaway
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 20:50
I third that! Mine is zipping right along with problems at all and the added contrast and font improvements are nice for these old eyes! 

Posted By: jeaway
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 20:51
See what I mean about old eyes...that was supposed to read zipping right along with NO problems!

Posted By: hiccup123
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 22:06
I'm a little confused at the CDN and Cache systems, but the interface seems to be moving quicker! Easier to read, too, if I might echo Mr. or Mrs. Old Eyes up there Wink.

Anyways, thanks for the update! Can't wait to see what's next.

Posted By: Quackers
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 22:38
Now I will not be able to play Illyriad at night while laying in bed. :(
It will be to bright, but I guess that is a good thing. Thank you Illyriad for looking out for my health.

On a side note, firefox says I mispled illyriad and wishs me to change it to dillydally. :D

Posted By: bow locks
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 22:59
erm, i didnt understand a word of that, but, erm thank you.
Bow

Posted By: G0DsDestroyer
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 00:13
Secure Connection Failure.
A box saying that pops up after I have logged into Illyriad. not sure if that's a bad thing but it doesn't affect my gameplay, just wondering why it appears. :-/
I'm using the latest Firefox I think.

-------------
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=G0DsDestroyer" rel="nofollow - Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 02:28
is it just me or is it 2012?

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 03:14
Originally posted by abstractdream abstractdream wrote:

is it just me or is it 2012?
Um yes...

Posted By: 7Skiaxtro
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 08:11
Ermm any ideas on when were gonna be able to play again? :)

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 08:20
server is up and working, are you having trouble getting access?

Posted By: Thexion
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 09:07
Some problems it seems chat disconnected and kicking me out..

Posted By: kitmub
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 10:40
nice i havent noticed the speed of loading but yes the font and colors are brighter

even though i dont really understand the diagram just a simple guest

of request entering one recipient client routed to a cache maye code/data region or map by region then look up to secondary regions then sent to a sender client , asuming the cahce is a different server

-------------
just popping on and off
abit crazy also

Posted By: Malpherion
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 10:53
Seems worse. Mainly when you build something, it doesnt update/remove the resources you have used. It also often says unable to build, unable to add a trade etc etc, just comes up with an error message of denial

Posted By: Malpherion
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:24
Keeps happening, never used to. Error message is unable to complete request, happens when your turning cows into leather or changing cities, pretty much anything. Very annoying. Have to refresh everytime you click something.

Posted By: Mandarins31
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:37
I didnt have as much problems as for Malpherion, but this morning (on server time), verious players, counting me, have had issues with alliance chat.

I also had few issues about being logged out, having few problems to load the pages and few actions (building/adv ressources productions) that were a bit glitched.

Posted By: Cerridwyn
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:56
What happened to English in the Herald?
Example "Update den 6 februari 2012Update den 6 februari 2012"

-------------

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Posted By: Mandarins31
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 16:31
About dates, that is normal, it automatically puts it in your original language

Also, it may been said in GC, but some people can see the colors updates while some others (count me in) see no color/contrast changes

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 16:33
I have a problem that is .. somehow associated with this new change. I cannot access the game from firefox no longer since it now says  (server is being upgraded) while when i join from google chrome, it doesnt say anything... I dont know what that means.. but i havent done anything  to cause a problem.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 18:08
Originally posted by Malpherion Malpherion wrote:

Keeps happening, never used to. Error message is unable to complete request, happens when your turning cows into leather or changing cities, pretty much anything. Very annoying. Have to refresh everytime you click something.
Could you raise and in-game petition so we can look into this further?

Posted By: White Beard
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 19:28

Seems worse. Mainly when you build something, it doesnt update/remove the resources you have used. It also often says unable to build, unable to add a trade etc etc, just comes up with an error message of denial
Glad I am not the only one that has this problem, but it has been going on for a few weeks now. I just assumed it was server lag

Posted By: Mara Zira
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 20:41
I sincerely wish I was one of those who couldn't see a difference in the color and contrast. I've already raised a petition about this, but the new color scheme makes me feel like vomiting after just seconds of viewing the game interface. Dead I have no idea why I'm reacting physically to this change in such a strong manner, and I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not. I have changed my monitor's colors so that Illy's new color scheme merely makes me mildly dizzy and gives me a slight headache (so I can get on for about 10 minutes at a time), but this also throws off the coloring on everything else on my computer making it not-so-easy or pleasant to use my computer for anything (and I spend most of my day on my computer). Is there any way that players could be allowed to chose the old color scheme or the new one based on their needs and preferences?

Please?

I'm not sure how much longer I can stand getting on Illy when it effects me like this. Cry Then again, if you want me to leave, then this was the perfect scheme. Tongue

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 20:59
Originally posted by White Beard White Beard wrote:

Glad I am not the only one that has this problem, but it has been going on for a few weeks now. I just assumed it was server lag
Again can you raise an in-game petition, also please state what browser you are using and if you are using any 3rd party tools.

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 21:00
Originally posted by 7Skiaxtro 7Skiaxtro wrote:

I have a problem that is .. somehow associated with this new change. I cannot access the game from firefox no longer since it now says  (server is being upgraded) while when i join from google chrome, it doesnt say anything... I dont know what that means.. but i havent done anything  to cause a problem.
We only served that page briefly during the transition so it seems like it is a browser caching issue on your end - please try forcing a refresh of the browser.

Posted By: Cerridwyn
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 02:17
Originally posted by Mandarins31 Mandarins31 wrote:

About dates, that is normal, it automatically puts it in your original language

My original language is English. 

-------------

Cerridwyn ~-~ Cerdwyn

Posted By: Mara Zira
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 04:41
Yey, the developers fixed my problem! You're my heroes--thanks so much!!! Big smile

Posted By: White Beard
Date Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 05:37
I just put in a petition ticket number 5318

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 08:04
I just pressed ctrl f5 after searching a bit ,  and it fixed :) thanks a lot thunder cat.  you guys are pros!

Posted By: Sovereign
Date Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 16:58
Always glad to see progress.  I will admit it does seem a little too bright now though.  lol

-------------
~~Sovereign~~

"Dreams are the inspiration for the creation of man-made miracles"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net