Print Page | Close Window

The seas are open!!! already

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Suggestions & Game Enhancements
Forum Description: Got a great idea? A feature you'd like to see? Share it here!
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=3136
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 07:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The seas are open!!! already
Posted By: bow locks
Subject: The seas are open!!! already
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 08:42
Good news!

We, the devs decided to stop waiting, giving excuses, and just do it.

So,

each town on open water now has two additional marine building squares (it was obvious that land squares were not pertinent), each town on river or inland water has one new marine building square (inland = less space).  landlocked settlements have none - more on that later - we cant do everything at once. (canal building)

All settlements within one square of a wet tile have dock capacity.  This allows trading units

New buildings

Shipyard - builds boats and ships (go figure)
Port - allows unlimited maritime behaviour (phoah)
Fishery - extra fishy benefit
Naval dockyard (navy bonuses).

We have assigned a behaviour character to land and sea tiles and to land and sea units.  One will not be able to use the other.  All towns with docks will be able to send and receive ships.  Towns with ports will be able to act as conduits for external trade and set taxes accordingly - when players send trades or troops and a shorter route is via water, via an allied or neutral town with a port,  then the player will have an option to send via the port. This option will include the tax rate set by the port owner.  This will set up options on all shorter routes for all related ports, related to time and port tax rate.  settlements with ports will set tax rates for alliance, friends, neutral etc.

new Units

We'll start gently in order to get this thing out of the door, finally.

Frigate; Basic naval unit, attacks other wet units, and blockades
Fishing boat; provides food bonus depending on the lvl of fishery, linked to sov of wet tiles
cargo ship; carries troops and caravans (must be a ro-ro?).
warship - can bombard settlements within one square of a wet tile

We already have a caravan and blockade code so we will use that for the basics - players will be able to use frigates to blockade and warships to attack ships and settlements.

Simples?

its far from perfect, but its better than this interminable waiting for the most exciting game element since........

NB, I love this game, and I think the devs are fantastic, but we need this, and we need this now. Please.

Bow

Replies:
Posted By: Quackers
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 09:17
While it could be simple to block armies/diplos/caravans from going on water and ships on land, it so far cannot be done (with my knowledge) without pathfinding. Since they wish to do the best of the best, which believe me is the right way to go, then we are best left waiting. 

I've looked into RTS games with pathfinding, I rather wait until the developers finish their pathfinding then slapping some junk together. From the pathfinding I've seen with pure html5, it just doesn't work right.

Plus I believe the developers already talked about food coming from water in trade version 2. Rill will have to explain more on that, I cannot remember all to clearly. But I believe he said that towns will get be able to get food from water.

Posted By: Darkwords
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 11:34
Personnaly I would rather see the AI go live, or further magic schools.

Posted By: SunStorm
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 14:30
lies...

This information would have come in the form of a DEV's post (probably following a bunch of posts saying the server has gone down for a few minutes).

-------------
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 16:30
@ SunStorm - more like wishful thinking...

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 16:34
The devs have said that soving water for food will be coming sooner(tm) than boats.  Of course, this raises the question of being able to "park" armies on water in order to claim sov ... and if you can "park" armies on water to claim sov, can you park them there to siege as well?  Be afraid, StJude, be very afraid. Wink NOTE:  The part about parking armies on water to claim sov is my own speculation and has NOT been confirmed, denied or commented upon by the devs.  Specifically, GM Stormcrow said "trade v2 will not include naval movement but might include some 'shoreline' use for water squares."

New magic schools, trade v2 and new chat functionality are what they are currently working on for sooner(tm) release.  I hear there's a bottle of fine champagne at stake between the magic schools and trade v2 portions of the dev team.

Meanwhile, they have also said that there will be another tournament, similar to Tournament I: Hold the Flags! coming in mid-February.  That's in just two weeks!

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 17:06
It would be great just to get 5 sov-able food on water squares to start with. That way half my cities wouldn't have crippled sov setups.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 17:14
i want to be able to blockade these damned island squares.
Bow

Posted By: GM Luna
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 17:14
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Meanwhile, they have also said that there will be another tournament, similar to Tournament I: Hold the Flags! coming in mid-February.  That's in just two weeks!

Just to clarify, the next tournament (with specific dates) has not been officially announced. It is in discussion right now, as SC mentioned in GC. 

Luna

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Posted By: Berde
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 18:17
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

The devs have said that soving water for food will be coming sooner(tm) than boats.  Of course, this raises the question of being able to "park" armies on water in order to claim sov ... and if you can "park" armies on water to claim sov, can you park them there to siege as well?

In lieu of ship building we'll have, what... fleets of kayaks? Tongue

Posted By: invictusa
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 18:34
Originally posted by bow locks bow locks wrote:

Good news!

Code of Conduct
  In order to create a positive and respectful environment for both the Illyriad players and staff, the following are strictly prohibited both in game and on the forums:

impersonating fellow players or Illyriad staff

-------------
...and miles to go before I sleep.

Posted By: Tordenkaffen
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 18:44
All power to the eskimos!

Seriously though, could you guys wait untill the releases are set and ready to launch before screaming it from the rooftops? This is just going to disappoint people - what the point in that?

Posted By: GM Luna
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 20:18
Originally posted by invictusa invictusa wrote:

Originally posted by bow locks bow locks wrote:

Good news!

Code of Conduct
  In order to create a positive and respectful environment for both the Illyriad players and staff, the following are strictly prohibited both in game and on the forums:

impersonating fellow players or Illyriad staff

I'm going to consider this thread under the banner of "parody" seeing as how it is not actually posted by anyone using a name of one of the dev team or anything of the sort. Nothing wrong with a little wishful thinking, I guess. ;)

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Posted By: invictusa
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 20:55
Point taken :D

I am just embarrassed that I sent circular messages to my fellow alliance members saying O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! in not so many words. 

-------------
...and miles to go before I sleep.

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2012 at 20:57
Originally posted by invictusa invictusa wrote:

Point taken :D

I am just embarrassed that I sent circular messages to my fellow alliance members saying O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! in not so many words. 

I almost did as well until I saw it was from one of our very own pranksters, Bow Bow... ;)

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 22:52
Dear Luna,
Thank you for recognising the parody.

dear Kumo,
it wasnt exactly  a prank, it was a desperate plea, couched in a parody, similar to an impersonation.

dear Invictusa,
Dont worry, one of our members sent something as well.

What the response shows is how desperately we all want this - and that was the sole intention.

You should send the 'frabjous day' mail to the devs.

As ever my message is;

Great game, great devs; we want more!!!!!!!!

The slobbering hordes,

Bow

Posted By: Gilthoniel
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 12:23
I support Bowlocks call as well the irony contained in it.  I am not as much concerned about GM Luna's immediate reaction to reach for the rule book. I should like to see the seas, rivers etc be  given a priority in game development.  This , I think , might bring us  a step closer to the implementation of pathfinding. 

(If ye takes a weather eye at the location of me cities ye'll understand why. Yaarrrr! Tongue)

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 14:14
Originally posted by Gilthoniel Gilthoniel wrote:

I am not as much concerned about GM Luna's immediate reaction to reach for the rule book.

Dude - read the thread again - someone else went for the rule book and she said "no, this is fine".

-------------

Posted By: Llyorn Of Jaensch
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 15:44
Parody? Those not within Harmless have no idea.

Bow has trouble 'developing' bread into toast and should generally be taken with more than a grain.  

-------------
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule

Posted By: Berde
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 17:48
Whole grain, white whole wheat, or multi-grain?

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 18:13
you see what i have to work with?Wacko  Hug

Posted By: jeaway
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 18:25
Did someone say GRAIN alcohol....I'm in....Hunch Punch for everyone!!

Posted By: Llyorn Of Jaensch
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 18:44
This has been another co-ordinated 'Harmless distraction mechanism'.

Thanks for playing 'how to change the subject using irrelevant sedge-ways.'

Harmless does not endorse this message.

-------------
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule

Posted By: Silverlake
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 22:59
Originally posted by jeaway jeaway wrote:

Did someone say GRAIN alcohol....I'm in....Hunch Punch for everyone!!

Hard core, just hard core Clap

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net