Print Page | Close Window

Basic Self Defense for New Players

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Strategies, Guides & Help
Forum Name: Strategies, Tips & Tricks
Forum Description: Player created guides and advice.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=2368
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 04:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Basic Self Defense for New Players
Posted By: Rill
Subject: Basic Self Defense for New Players
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 00:28
Illy is in general a warm and welcoming community for new players.  However, in any group of people there are those who would seek an advantage by preying upon those who are less powerful.  Therefore, it behooves new players to learn about the threats they face and how to counteract them.  

This guide describes the most common attacks new players may face and describes steps all new players should take to defend against them.  I will focus on steps players should take in their first week of play, while still under beginner protection, in order to be prepared to defend against attacks when the rainbow wears off.  I will conclude with some remarks about dealing with the aftermath of an attack.

I begin with a word about alliances.  Alliances are an excellent source of support and defense for new players -- although this is not their only function.  Just being in an alliance can offer a measure of protection against military attacks, and in general alliances will help defend their members and assist them in recovering from any attack.  Various alliances may have specific instructions to new players about defense that supersede the general advice in this guide, based on those alliances' specific experiences and situations.

With that wiggle statement out of the way, there are two basic types of attacks a new player might face:  military and diplomatic.  Military attacks are attacks on a city by armies.  Diplomatic attacks may take the form of thieves, saboteurs or assassins.  New players are more likely to be attacked by thieves than any other form of attack; therefore this guide will first focus on defending against theft, although the defenses against theft will also help guard against other types of attack.

I.  Buildings Needed: Mage Tower and Consulate

MAGE TOWER

This is the most important building needed for initial defense.  New players should study Arcana and build a mage tower in their first day in game.   Runes is strongly recommended as the first school of magic to study.  Slaying Runes are probably the most useful type of protection for a new player; they can be studied and cast at the following levels of Mage Tower:

Name Mage Tower Kills (# units)
Mark of Slaying Level 3 5
Death Rune Level 7 20
Killing Glyph Level 11 75
Ward of Destruction Level 15 250

Note: Casting Slaying or Seeking runes requires books and cattle as well as mana and basic resources.

An alternative for new players is to cast Seeking Runes targeted specifically at thieves.  This option may be better for players in alliances who are less likely to be attacked militarily.  Unlike Slaying Runes, which offer some defense against military attacks, Seeking Runes can only protect against one type of diplomatic attack -- most new players would likely choose to target thieves, since risks from assassins and saboteurs is lower while you are new.  You may only cast one spell from the Rune school on your city, so you must choose EITHER a Slaying OR a Seeking rune.

Seeking Runes can be studied and cast at the following levels of Mage Tower:

Name Mage Tower Kills (# units)
Mark of Seeking Level 2 12
Seeking Rune Level 6 40
Seeking Glyph Level 10 130
Ward of Intentions Level 14 400

Practical tip:  If you upgrade your Mage Tower once each day during your 7 days of new player protection, you will emerge from protection being able to cast a Death Rune or a Seeking Rune.  Go forth and scorch the bad guys!

Slaying/Seeking runes stay in effect until they have killed the specified number of enemy units.  After they have been exhausted or if you are replacing a weaker rune with a stronger one, there is a minimum 6-hour cooldown before they can be cast again.  Make sure you replace the rune promptly upon completion of the cooldown period.  You receive a mail when the rune is activated or taken down, so you can use the timestamp on the mail to calculate when you can re-cast the rune.

Mark of Fear and other runes in the Fear line are NOT recommended for self-defense for new players.  While Seeking and Slaying runes kill a specified number of units even if more units than that are sent, Fear runes simply fail if more than the specified units are sent -- they will then do absolutely nothing.  It is better to kill some, even if not all, of the attackers.

CONSULATE

The consulate is the second building needed for new player defense.  Building and upgrading your consulate allows you to produce diplomatic units to protect your town.  Your army will NOT defend against diplomatic attacks.  The only defense against diplomatic units is other diplomatic units of the same type.

It is usually impractical for a very new player to produce enough thieves to withstand a theft attack from a larger players who may have many more thieves.  The most sensible course for a new player to take is therefore 1) to make being thieved as painful as possible for the thief and 2) to prevent the thief from obtaining anything of significant value from a theft attempt.  If a thief loses units in a theft attempt and gains little from it, he is less likely to revisit later.

Some researches in the Diplomacy portion of the research tree are useful in diplomatic defense.

Consulate Lev 1 CounterIntelligence allows your diplos to defend against enemies
Consulate Lev 5 Interrogation your diplos may discover who sent diplos
Consulate Lev 5 Finesse opens way for studies for spies, thieves
Consulate Lev 9 Diplomacy allows you to study Theft
Consulate Lev 9 Theft allows you to build thief units

Thief units have different names depending on race: Burglar (human), Rogue (elf), Footpad (dwarf), Goblin Cutpurse (orc).  Note that t1 thieves have better defense for the money (gold upkeep) than t2 thieves; therefore players looking mainly to defend should focus on t1 (basic thief) units.

To make thieves you need gold, horses and books.  T1 thief units have an upkeep of 2 gold per hour.  It is a good idea to make at least a few thief units to give your citizens a chance at catching the miscreant.  Because of the building and research required, this is often something you will do in your second or third week of play.  Focus on the first week of play should be on building a Mage Tower and researching the highest possible seeking and/or slaying rune, and on researching Safeguard and constructing a Vault.

II. Defense Against Military Attack

New players are not likely to be attacked militarily by larger players.  If you are attacked by a much larger player during the first month or so of play, please send a mail to the attacking player letting them know you are active and go to global chat as soon as possible.  Be prepared to give details about the attack, such as who the attacker is and when it will arrive.  If the attack already occurred, other players may request a report of the attack be forwarded.  The Illy community takes military attacks by larger players on smaller ones very seriously; for this reason alone, these attacks are rare.

Unfortunately, you are more likely to be targeted by a fellow new player than you are by a veteran.  The community is less likely to intervene directly in this sort of attack.  However, if you use a rune from the Slaying series to protect against diplomatic attacks, the rune will also fry any incoming military units -- probably as many as a fellow new player can send at you.  This is one of the main benefits to using a Slaying rune if you are a new player.

In general, players in their first two weeks of play cannot build an army big enough to make a large difference in defense.  Therefore this guide will not cover building a barracks or wall, except to note that if you complete a lev 9 consulate and a mage tower at least level 10, building a wall and upgrading barracks is a logical next step.

Even though armies are not necessary for self defense for the very new player, they can be fun to play with.  For information on building military capability, check out this http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/basic-military-development-for-new-players_topic5440.html" rel="nofollow -  VAULT

The vault is a passive form of defense that is recommended for new players who are experiencing problems with thieves.  It protects some of your goods from theft OR military attacks.  The amount of resources protected increases with each level of upgrade.  Protection amounts at each level can be found on the wiki:   http://illyriad.honoredsoft.com/wiki/Vault" rel="nofollow - http://illyriad.honoredsoft.com/wiki/Vault

The vault also adds to the amount stored by the storehouse and warehouse; it protects a portion of the goods that are stored.  Vault protection is automatic; there is no need to designate resources to be protected by the vault -- it automatically protects any resources you have up to the vault's protection limit.

A level 3 vault is relatively fast to build (one hour 10 minutes for levels 1 through 3) and does not require many resources (300 of each resource for the first three levels).  It protects 7500 of each basic resource (food, wood, clay, stone and iron) and gold and 30 of each advanced resource (such as books, saddles and spears).  This level of protection is enough for a new player to continue a building program as well as to protect books to re-cast a rune.  Building a vault beyond level 3 significantly increases the amount of resources required to build and is probably unnecessary for most new players.

The best time to build a vault is at the end of the first week, just prior to emerging from beginner's protection.  A vault is not needed before that time.  Building a vault requires researching Timekeeping >> Bureaucracy >> Safeguard in the City portion of the research tree.

After a player develops advanced runes and is able hire substantial numbers of protective diplos (mostly thieves) and has military defense, a vault is no longer needed.  It can be demolished to make room for more specialized buildings.

Help From Other Players

Your alliance can also reinforce your city, either with military units alone or with diplomatic units attached to armies.  If a player from your alliance (or an alliance NAP'd or confederated with your alliance) sends an army to reinforce your city and attaches diplomatic units to the army, those diplomatic units will help defend your city.  So if you are having a problem with theft attacks, it is a good idea to alert your alliance leadership.

Offsite Storage

Other than these items that cannot be thieved, it's wise for new players not to keep a lot of advanced resources and gold around.  If you receive a gift of books, convert most of them to research points upon their arrival -- research points cannot be stolen.  Retain 10-20 books to cast spells and make diplo units -- up to 30 if you have a level 3 vault.  If you are in an alliance, it is a good idea to ask a trusted alliance mate who has high-level runes and adequate defensive thieves to take care of your advanced resources.

Another alternative is to store goods in faction hubs, which cannot be thieved.  Developing offsite storage capability requires some research, so usually it should be a goal in the second week or later of play.

In order to store items at a faction hub, you will need the Faction Markets research.  This research is in the Trade portion of the research tree.  In order to unlock this research you will need to do the Guilds research (4 hours, 100 research points), the Merchants Guild research (2 hours, 2000 research points) and the Faction Markets research (2 hours, 500 research points).

Once you have this research, you can send resources to a trade hub, but you will not be able to retrieve them.  You need a Trader in the hub to be able to retrieve the items.  For this you will need to upgrade your Marketplace to level 10 and do the Trader research (3 days, 3000 research points).  You will also need to build a merchants guild in order to build a trader.  Traders have an upkeep cost of 30 gold per hour, so you might choose to wait to build one if you don't have very many advanced resources or consider your risk of theft to be low.

A vault will also protect resources against theft attacks, up to the amount of protection provided by the vault.  You may choose to store any advanced resources beyond your vault protection limit with a trusted alliance mate or in a faction hub.

Being Attacked: The AfterMath

Although war is not the only path in Illy, most players will probably find themselves attacked at some point or other.  It's best to be mentally prepared for the possibility and to know how to respond.

The most important point to remember about any attack is, "It's not the end of the world."  Being attacked, especially without provocation, can be infuriating.  In fact, diplo attacks in particular can be used as much as an instrument of psychological warfare as to create real damage to a player's cities.  As The_Dude says, a diplomatic attack is "an affront to the dignity of the defender."

However, there's really very little an attacker can do to damage the long-term growth prospects of a new player.  Let's take a look at the effects of various types of attack:

1)  Military attacks

Sieges will not be addressed in this guide.  In the highly unlikely event that you're a player just out of protection and you're being sieged, seek advice in global chat immediately.

The effect of military attacks other that sieges is simple:  They can kill your army (if you have one) and make off with some of your basic resources.  Since it's vastly more likely that a military attack came from another new player, they probably won't have taken much with their small army.  If you have built a vault, it will protect some amount of your resources, and if your resource levels were below what a vault protects you will not lose any resources at all.

2)  Theft

Thieves can take basic or advanced resources.  However, they cannot take cattle or horses.  (Apparently "Cattle Rustling" and "Horse Thieving" technologies have not yet been introduced to Illy.)  Theft attacks may occur by players of any size, but the most important thing to remember is:  They can't steal anything you don't have.  Thieves also cannot take siege blocks or any item harvested by cotters or other advanced harvesters (such as hides, grapes, rare herbs, rare minerals or animal parts).  They also cannot take any crafted equipment.

Conclusion

Every new player has a responsibility to themselves, to their fellow newbs, and to the Illy community to undertake appropriate precautions against attack.  By limiting the potential rewards to attackers (such as by not keeping advanced resources lying around) and by ensuring that stealing from new players is painful (by maintaining killing runes and possibly protective thieves) and by making it more likely that they will be found out (through Diplomacy research and maintaining thieves), every new player can contribute to the defense of all new players.

Some players feel ashamed or embarrassed after being attacked, particularly by thieves or other diplos.  Resist this feeling! There is no shame in being new and not yet strong.  Everyone starts somewhere.  The shame is on the cowards who try to take advantage of new players.  Hold your head up high, ask for help, and be proud to be part of a community that stands against this sort of attack.

The worst thing you can do in response to any attack is to leave Illy.  Don't let the bastards get you down!   Ask for help from veterans and rebuild.  Stay strong, keep building and you will succeed!

Replies:
Posted By: Kurfist
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 00:35
I'm a veteran, though i disagree with a few sentences in this guide.

Other then that, good enough rill :P

99/100 :D

-------------
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin

Posted By: Kilotov of DokGthung
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 00:38
this guide is quite good. it explains the basics and safes time.
at least now you can link this instead of explaining this stuff on GC every 22.3 minutes

Originally posted by Kurfist Kurfist wrote:

did you ever had more than 20k pop total?
if the answer is "no" you never left the newbie status.
i myself am average ..
people whit + 75k pop are close to be "vets"

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 00:44
"ahem"

Yes.

Back to the point of this topic, rill how long did it take to type this up?

-------------

Date Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 01:18
around 2-3 hours, I think, Kur -- but I've been sort of planning it in my head for a while, and I know it could use some improvement -- I got a little brain-fried toward the end.

And sorry about explaining it every 22.3 minutes, Kilo ... I'll try to limit myself to every 2-4 hours in the future Wink Glad you like the guide

Posted By: fluffy
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 03:33
Originally posted by Kilotov of DokGthung Kilotov of DokGthung wrote:

this guide is quite good. it explains the basics and safes time.
at least now you can link this instead of explaining this stuff on GC every 22.3 minutes

Originally posted by Kurfist Kurfist wrote:

did you ever had more than 20k pop total?
if the answer is "no" you never left the newbie status.
i myself am average ..
people whit + 75k pop are close to be "vets"

so I guess Im not a vet yet...NEWBS4LIFE

Posted By: Torn Sky
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 04:22
Originally posted by fluffy fluffy wrote:

so I guess Im not a vet yet...NEWBS4LIFE

im appalled you even had the notion

as for the guide
basically
mage tower - runes - slaying for military/diplo, seeking for diplo only
Diplo units only defend against diplo units of the same type so build some theives
Military your probably going to lose the battle - rebuild it happens

Posted By: Celebcalen
Date Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 05:26
A good guide and the method that I have used for developing my towns from scratch.

Posted By: Gorx
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 08:33
I have another advice to add: speak up in global chat. If yo are known, regularly say hi and participate -- chances of being confused for inactive decrease. Furthermore, there is safety in being part of global chat community - sneaky sneak might think twice about stealing from someone who obviously logs in regularly and is plugged in.

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 15:36
Good points, Gorx. And great write up, Rill!

The general idea here is that you will never be able to successfully defend your city against a concerted diplo or military attack from a vet player as a newbie. But what you can do is a) make each of those attacks cost more than they gain and b) make the vet player think twice about it as they are risking being bashed by some of the quite passionate newbie defenders that are likely much larger than them. So, in essence, the best defense is reducing the cost/benefit ratio for the aggressor and putting the fear of retribution in them.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 18:14
Hey kumo, since i have you here and since this is a newbie defence guide with newbie def topics going on.

Say Newbie A is thieved by medium sized player B, Player B is discovered for thieving newbie A, what will Newbie Deffenders C and D usually do?

-------------

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 19:18
I guess it depends upon who Newbie Defenders C & D are!

Often times larger, veteran players who are passionate about protecting newbies (and there are a few of them) will demand compensation from Player B on behalf of Player A. And if Player B doesn't pay Player A back, they're likely to take a piece of Player B's hide.

I'm not speaking for myself or my alliance in this regard, just an observation based upon historical actions.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 20:04
Would you agree with the action of said newbie defender sieging newbie attacker for thievery or basic raids?

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 20:17
I would observe that siege is a tool in the belt of all large players and that dismissing the possibility of siege would be both unfortunate and unwise.  Committing in advance to a specific course of action makes the likelihood of adverse action being taken at all greater, if an attacker of new player calculates that he/she will "only" be raided and/or thieved.

Seems to me that vets would be wise not to count out any specific tool or comment on their likely actions in advance.

I would hope it suffices to say that Illy vets react powerfully and flexibly in response to attacks on new players, depending on the situation.

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 20:20
Well we can use a recent exampe of Binky Boy, who funnigly enough broke his own alliance rules and thieved or sab'ed a newbie. 

Fate of siege of all towns, he brought some population "minimal" to his zero pop city to have ti sieged again, he is also currently scorn and treated as an outcast.

Seems a tad bit extreme.

-------------

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 20:32
We're getting off topic.  I'm hoping that this thread can continue to focus on self defense for new players.  Debate about actions veterans take should perhaps continue in a different thread.

Posted By: Johnny112
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 18:49
Rill, I thought your guide was great! There are a few key things that I put in Havoc's private forum's under our "Tips for New Beginners" but this has gone into it! I whole heartedly believe that this has benefited the community as a whole.

Posted By: (EOM) Harry
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 19:47
Killotov, veteran status is not how much pop you have but how long you've played :)

-------------
Fool's watch the land when the problem is in the heart.

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 20:58
Originally posted by (EOM) Harry (EOM) Harry wrote:

Killotov, veteran status is not how much pop you have but how long you've played :)

I would say that both pop and time played are weak measures of "vet status".  I suggest that the more relevant measure is what a player has done.  A loner that has been here a long time and built big cities might be poorly equipped to handle many facets of Illy.

It's the swing that matters, not the size of the bat.

Posted By: tallica
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 21:04
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

It's the swing that matters, not the size of the bat.

No, it's the skill of the sailor, not the size of the ship, plus the motion of the ocean!

Posted By: Uno
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 17:37
In your first couple of weeks:

1) try and make contacts with your neighbors and try and be friendly with them. This means, don't start bumping caravans all around you.
2) build your VAULT up to level 10.

-------------
Eréc of Caer Uisc
King of Dyfneint
Indomiti Alliance

Posted By: Duuvian
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2011 at 05:33
Now that the vault has been changed a bit, perhaps it's time for a re-evaluation of it's usefulness on the front lines of noobness. 

Up to the recent change, vault seems useful to new players at the very start of your account on your first city, but after a few weeks it became obsolete.

Now, with it holding 10 I believe adv resources per level, that's not too bad. That is, until you start getting buildings to the point where you can queue up lots and lots of resources behind your army of thief defenses at which point a set number isn't as good.

The way that seems best to me if the devs are reading would be to have it be both a set number and a percentage of the stock to be protected; or a different vault building that has that function; and to use the higher of the two. It would be useful later on in case someone designs a Thiefmaster city and sends out 8k thieves at a time to random large cities.

So I guess a few levels would not hurt if you don't have something else to build, but I don't think I would take it to 10 as a new player now if I had the same game knowledge. Maybe up to 5 until I started getting hit with thieves, as buildings below level 5 are pretty quick to build.

Posted By: Wolf Ravenclaw
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 16:38
As a new player. First off this is a very good guideSmile   . But may I ask why you don`t recommend upgrading your library once a day as you will need the research points to carry out this processes as well (if I missed it I apologise)

I finish by saying a BIG THANK YOU to you and all the others that have taken the time to write these guides to make things easier for others

ClapClapClapClapClap

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 16:49
Upgrading your library is addressed in the new players guide, but you are absolutely right Wolf -- upgrade your library!

Posted By: Daufer
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 20:58
Also Wolf, as a new player you will often find veterans in global chat willing to send a few books along with the customary gift of building resources if you ask.  If you are in an alliance of course, first ask your larger members (who have more research points than they know what to do with) to send you some.  I would say that at the very beginning when you have few resources to work with the upgrading of storage capacity, resource production and defense should have priority over the library.  A few dozen books up front would give you more research points than a small library would give you in the first week.

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 09:30
I have updated this guide with recommendations about building a vault.  As always, I am interested in the thoughts of vets and newer players about the suggestions.  I don't know everything and base my guides on the consensus of many contributors.  Thanks to all those who have shared their wisdom!

Posted By: GM Luna
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 23:06
Stickied. :)

-------------
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Posted By: Chadgod, Norman
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 02:56
Great guide. Thanks a whole bunch.

Posted By: Gilthoniel
Date Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 12:22
Yep. happy with that. Smile

Posted By: hiram_sedai
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2012 at 18:04
@Mister Rill,

Please be avised that both you and William Shatner are my heroes and everything I had hoped to be.  I will have to read your advice a few times to fully comprehend it but I am grateful for the time and effort you expended on my behalf.

Well, not me specifically, but new peoples.  

Posted By: Schepel
Date Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 23:52
Thanks for this very useful guide. I wish I had read it a bit sooner, as I have lost some valuable time. However, I was wondering whether you could do without arcane stuff. I want to be a proper Dwarvish Lord. Dwarves and magic don't mingle, generally.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 01:14
Schlepel, the Dwarven Druids would beg to disagree on the dwarves and magic thing.  But I leave it to Nesse to explain why.

It is perfectly possible to go through Illy without building a mage tower or employing any magic whatsoever.  It is, however, decidedly less efficient in the opening stages of the game.

Even besides their usefulness in killing enemy units, Runes serve as a useful intelligence tool, since an activated Rune tells you the race of the attacker.

If you prefer you can interpret magickal interventions as deriving their effectiveness from a superstitious populace.  That is, I suspect that the mere sight of the glowing sigil above my gate causes ne'erdowells to experience a drastic increase in blood pressure, resulting in a heart attack or stroke.  The glow of the morning sun through the magnifying lens mounted above the sigil may account for the charring effect.  It is all rationally explicable, as anyone from the Temple of Reason can assure you.

Ryelle, who as an elf is full of soft-headed superstition, would probably differ with me on this.

Posted By: Salararius
Date Posted: 07 May 2012 at 01:59
I've had some thoughts on this topic that may or may not be valuable.  It's easier to steal your stuff if you leave it laying all over the place and spread your defenses thin.  Moving adv resources and gold to one city that you protect with more runes (runemasters grounding) and the bulk of your thieves is less costly than building up the same capacity in every town.

Obviously this isn't helpful to someone with one town or who has spread his towns all over the map but as soon as you have two towns and if you aren't spreading them all over, pick one to protect from thieves.  This will leave basic resources open in the other towns but those are easier to replace, (just ask).

Another thought to protect gold is to turn it into something that can't be stolen (like cows, horses or siege blocks).  You can buy cows with excess gold and then sell them to get the gold back.

Finally, if your towns are not too spread out you can use a foreign embassy in one with your most advanced consulate to see quite a distance from all the towns (max range is ~50 squares).  Again, you're spending once on a capability used by several towns.

Posted By: Dew
Date Posted: 09 May 2012 at 09:35
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

It is perfectly possible to go through Illy without building a mage tower or employing any magic whatsoever.  It is, however, decidedly less efficient in the opening stages of the game.

I would say that it is decidedly less efficient no matter what. i am assuming that the above quote already accounts for the 8% food production. and as you said the rune magic is essentially "free" troops of 250-400 units without taking auxiliary buildings into account. but since the building has one of the highest population rates, then the tax income (and population) also make this an ideal defensive structure.

i would like to ask if there ever is a reason to defend against spies or scouts? and if this defense is needed when to add it. 

My second Question is whether the Diplomatic units also receive a bonus from the city wall. 

Posted By: Jabbels
Date Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 20:59
Thanks for that Rill. Good read.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 05:16
I have updated the post to reflect some changes in game mechanics -- I am looking for some feedback.  Does it still make sense?  Do the recommendations still work?  How can it be improved?

Thanks!

Posted By: lorre
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 12:40
good job on the self defense guide rill, i would disagree with the vault however, the vault does not protect enough resources to be worth it. you quickly outgrow it and its essentially resources wasted that you could have used on upgrading your resource plots

-------------
The battlefield is a scene of constant chaos. The winner will be the one who controls that chaos, both his own and the enemies.
Napoleon Bonaparte

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 14:11
The amount the vault protects compared to the minimal resources it requires to build (100 or so of each in total up to level 3) make it the best protection resources can buy.  Hopefully no new player will need the vault, but it's a reasonable precaution -- and in addition to protecting resources needed to build can also protect books to recast a rune.

Other players would probably happily help a new player who has been thieved with such resources, but for a player who prefers to be independent, a vault makes a lot of sense.

Plus, there's nothing like the satisfaction of frying some thieves on your rune AND realizing that the remaining thieves got away with absolutely nothing.  All pain, no gain for the thief -- that's a win in my book.

My recommendation about the vault have not changed since the first edition of the self defense guide, and I continue to think it's a reasonable choice for very new players.

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 17:37
I agree with the use of a vault for a new player, however one thing I think deserves mention is that to demolish requires research.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2014 at 20:28
very true, bonfyr.  And the Demolition research is just after the Safeguard research in the city portion of the tree.  Coincidence?  Probably -- but handy anyway.  Wink

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 17:18
Honestly, I don't believe it is coincidence. Wasn't Demolition a skill added after the fact? Either way they attached it to the skill for a building most believe is disposable. Seems quite clear to me.

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 17:28
Not sure how accurate this theory is, seeing as when demolition was incorporated into the game number of building spots= number of buildings, so getting rid of the Vault was a tad pointless.

Date Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 20:05
OIC

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: fronfor
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 03:38
Rill, what's your opinion (and what's the general community's opinion) of a newb raiding another newb? You referenced it several times, "you are more likely to be targeted by a fellow new player," but you never actually said what you think of those attacking new players.

I've been playing Illyriad for a while — not nearly consistently or actively enough to be a vet; making no claims here — but nevertheless, a while. From this experience, I think there are some new players who don't want to just build up cities all the time. What would say about those new players who want a little fun, a little contest? Are you including them among the "cowards who try to take advantage of new players"? Are they more acceptable?

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 03:42
Generally, if a newbie attacks another newbie, the response depends on the victim. If they complain in GC, a lynch mob forms pretty quickly to intimidate some manners into the aggressor. If they choose to fight it out, people usually just advise them to stop.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 07:47
Fronfor, I think that opinions about new players attacking other new players is an interesting topic, but not the focus of this thread, which is intended to be a guide to game mechanics.  I suggest you start a topic about it elsewhere, where I'd be happy to discuss it.

Posted By: Rannveig
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 04:57
Very good tips Rill! Thanks Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2015 at 19:17
This guide does NOT yet reflect the changes implemented on February 22, 2015.  Will update it to reflect those changes, in particular recommendations with regards to the vault, once I've had time to mull that over.

Posted By: Obi-Wan
Date Posted: 01 Apr 2015 at 11:05
If you're having problems with defense, message somebody in the League of Assassins [LoA]. Our armies (well, mine at any rate) are available for hire (for defensive purposes only). We will help you defend against attackers, but be warned - we do charge a small cost for use of our armies, usually enough to re-build any lost units.

Posted By: Jax
Date Posted: 03 May 2015 at 02:22
Thank you for this guide :)

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net