URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=2037
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 09:23
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Harness The Elementals - Introduction Rules
Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Subject: Harness The Elementals - Introduction Rules
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 14:35
HARNESS THE ELEMENTALS: INTRODUCTION AND RULES

Geomancer Herrolf of the http://beta.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance/Faction/9" rel="nofollow - Circle of Five has made a remarkable discovery of great import to the use and practice of Magick in Illyria.

"We know from the various Histories that Elementals have existed throughout the land of Illyria, but this is the first time we have been able to predict how and when they arise." he said.

"The energies released by lifeforce blend with the natural elements as well as the Spirits of the land - of Nature itself - and can cause Elementals to arise, bound to serve the first being that they encounter."

With a wry smile he added, "Obviously, the amount of lifeforce that blends with the land is critical; and the ancient Tournament battle sites around the Kingdom have witnessed the largest shedding of blood in recent years, so it's no surprise that Elementals are now rising at these locations! There have also been unconfirmed reports of Elementals rising at dead Cities as well, apparently drawn by the death that has occurred at these abandoned husks."

Whilst Geomancer Herrolf does not believe that the precise time when these Elementals rise is an exact science, he says that "Based on current observations, we're getting around four sightings every day on each Tournament Battle site. The first person the Elemental encounters in occupation of one of these sites when it rises, this person will bind the Elemental to his or her town."

The http://beta.illyriad.co.uk/#/Alliance/Faction/1" rel="nofollow - Council of Illyria has expressed interest in discovering more about these creatures, and will additionally reward players who bind Elementals to them with 20 Prestige per Elemental bound, to be distributed at midday on the 15th of July.

The Council added "But be warned, only one Lord or Lady can be in posession of the territory at the time the Elemental rises - and for this reason all Alliance, NAP and Confederation rules are suspended at these locations for the duration. Each Lord or Lady is on his or her own for this one."

-------------
GM Stormcrow | http://bit.ly/rLKfoT" rel="nofollow - Twitter | http://on.fb.me/uvfajA" rel="nofollow - Facebook | http://bit.ly/rBzlzf" rel="nofollow - G+

Replies:
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 14:45
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
Occupy and hold any of the following squares.
  • -500|500 - Fire [Plains]
  • 0|500 - Earth [Large Mountain]
  • 500|500 - Air [Large Hill]
  • 500|0 - Water [Large Forest]
  • 500|-500 - Fire [Plains]
  • 0|-500 - Earth [Large Mountain]
  • -500|-500 - Air [Large Hill]
  • -500|0 - Water [Large Forest]
Once every six hours, at a random time, an Elemental will spawn on each square, according to Altar type.

The occupier of the square will bind the Elemental to him or her and they will appear in the town unit pool of the first occupying army from the player who holds the square.

For the purposes of this tournament, on these squares, all affiliations outside the player's own towns have been suspended.  Please note that this means that Alliance, Confederations and NAP partners will all fight anyone except themselves (as a player) if they arrive on these squares.

This is a Player vs Player tournament; however we do expect that some players and alliances might collaborate on their strategies.  As far as we are concerned, anything goes on these squares.

As the Elemental awards are given during the tournament, there will be no further unique unit prizes when the tournament closes.

At the end of the Tournament, every player who received an Elemental will receive 20 Prestige per Elemental received (regardless of whether they survive till the end of the tournament or not).

Each player with the most Elementals gathered from each of the 8 Spawn Points will also receive a Tournament Winner's Statue that can be placed at the winners' choice on any unoccupied map square within 10 squares of their Capital City.  This Monument will bear their name and will be a permanent marker on the World Map.

You can see your progress against other players and/or alliances on the Tournaments page which is accessible via a satellite button on the World Map main icon.

THE TOURNAMENT RULES, SMALL PRINT

* The Tournament runs until Midday Server Time (GMT+1) on Friday, 15 July 2011.

* Anyone who arrives on one of these squares is deemed a Tournament Participant.

We wish you the best of luck.

SC

-------------
GM Stormcrow | http://bit.ly/rLKfoT" rel="nofollow - Twitter | http://on.fb.me/uvfajA" rel="nofollow - Facebook | http://bit.ly/rBzlzf" rel="nofollow - G+

Posted By: fluffy
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 17:02
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

HOW TO PARTICIPATE
  • -500|500 - Fire
  • 0|500 - Earth
  • 500|500 - Air
  • 500|0 - Water
  • 500|-500 - Fire
  • 0|-500 - Earth
  • -500|-500 - Air
  • 0|-500 - Water

0|-500 is listed twice with different elements, and -500|0 isn't listed at all :(

Posted By: Kilotov of DokGthung
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 17:11
lol rushed to prevent us from feeding the melders? lol

Posted By: Kurfist
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 17:34
So while waiting impatiently for a faction update, I wake up and find us all gifted with another tourny.  However it's more of a gift for the experienced players and vets whereas the lower players are spectators- Go Kurdruk!

-------------
Patience is a virtue, resource giving is a sin

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 17:43
Originally posted by fluffy fluffy wrote:

0|-500 is listed twice with different elements, and -500|0 isn't listed at all :( 
Fixed - now as per tournament page and correct

Posted By: Manannan
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 18:21
Originally posted by Kilotov of DokGthung Kilotov of DokGthung wrote:

Maybe we need the various elementals to destroy the Heart of Corruption and/or other things on the map yet to be found/released?

-------------
Doesn't look good... doesn't look bad either!

"Manananananananananan, so long Sir, and thanks for all the fish." ~ St.Jude

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 18:45
Heart of Corruption is almighty windypigeon's pet. I dont think he will let us destroy it! Evil Smile

Posted By: Kilotov of DokGthung
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 18:57
Originally posted by Manannan Manannan wrote:

Originally posted by Kilotov of DokGthung Kilotov of DokGthung wrote:

Maybe we need the various elementals to destroy the Heart of Corruption and/or other things on the map yet to be found/released?

well i can imagine that a nasty fire elemental would shure hurt that thing...
would be nice to keep some as pets...whit mana upkeep, that is Smile

Posted By: Faldrin
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 21:12

Each player with the most Elementals gathered from each of the 8 Spawn Points will also receive a Tournament Winner's Statue that can be placed at the winners' choice on any unoccupied map square within 10 squares of their Capital City.  This Monument will bear their name and will be a permanent marker on the World Map.

But there is only 4 kinds of elementals? Seems like there will only be 4 statues?

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 21:47
Originally posted by Faldrin Faldrin wrote:

But there is only 4 kinds of elementals? Seems like there will only be 4 statues?

2 of each:

HOW TO PARTICIPATE
  • -500|500 - Fire
  • 0|500 - Earth
  • 500|500 - Air
  • 500|0 - Water
  • 500|-500 - Fire
  • 0|-500 - Earth
  • -500|-500 - Air
  • -500|0 - Water

Regards,

SC

Posted By: Faldrin
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 11:36

But ....

There are  only 4 "winners" in the overview, one for each kind of elementals or will the 2nd place be rewarded with a statue as well?

-------------

Posted By: bow locks
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 14:20
oh great one please spread some more info about inactive cities since we are getting odd results.

like, total slaughter at a city with a pop of 1! lol.

Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 17 Jun 2011 at 19:43

But ....

There are  only 4 "winners" in the overview, one for each kind of elementals or will the 2nd place be rewarded with a statue as well?
It's the person with the most elements OVERALL. I think.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 11:48

But ....
We've expanded the leaderboard to show all 8 sites distinctly. This should help understanding the 8 winners; or potential winners.

Posted By: John Louis
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 13:36
Can someone PLEASE take the time to explain exactly how to get an Elemental from a 'Dead City' - I should point out that this is going to be the ONLY (realistic) way for smaller players to get one of the Elementals.

IMO its a bit unfair to say we can get elementals from dead cities WITHOUT explaining how this is to be done.

Perhaps this has been explained somewhere, but, for the avoidance of doubt can someone please explain this here.

THANK YOU

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 13:52
You cannot bind elementals at dead cities only at the tournament squares. They only rise at dead cities and beat the living hell out of intruding armies... I foresee a big increase in 'accidental' attacks on active newbie cities.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 13:55
There are plans for a T-shirt range to commemorate the city elementals. Slogans include 'I attacked a dead city and had my a$$ handed to me' and 'I attacked a dead city and survived... But most of my army didn't!'

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 14:00
Originally posted by John Louis John Louis wrote:

Can someone PLEASE take the time to explain exactly how to get an Elemental from a 'Dead City' - I should point out that this is going to be the ONLY (realistic) way for smaller players to get one of the Elementals.

IMO its a bit unfair to say we can get elementals from dead cities WITHOUT explaining how this is to be done.

Perhaps this has been explained somewhere, but, for the avoidance of doubt can someone please explain this here.

THANK YOU

These have been removed from the game at this time as due to serious side effects. However they were combat events rather than bind events:

Elemental Spawns / Tournament
  • Elemental Spawns in abandoned player towns were causing combat resolution issues.  People affected by these issues who open a Petition with the combat report information in it will have their lost units refunded.

Elemental Spawns in abandoned player towns have been removed from the game.  They may make a reappearance when the code is more stable.

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 14:22
Thanks for your quick reply ThunderCat, I appreciate the clarification.

Posted By: skam2423
Date Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 21:05
totally agree with your comment, for beginners of less than a month we are totally out of this one.

Posted By: Smoking GNU
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 09:40
mmmhm, i think SC and TC need to think of a way to throw a tourney exclusively for newe people only.

Posted By: Aneirin
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 10:10

Most tourney's are only going to be competed for by those players with 4 or 5 cities plus, I guess, although newbes can join in the fun if they want and get some battlefield Xp. Even so ranking is going to be decided by the "old sweats" in the end.

In fairness to the devs I don't think they have neglected the newbes; who can enjoy themselves with "The Order of Allembine" (Statues) and  "Steaming Brewery"  quests both of which bring diplomatic and resource rewards that a new player can benefit from.

And then again there is currently the mystery of the moment The Heart of Corruption ...Ying Yang

Plenty out there for new players to have fun  with.

Tournaments are generally for the mostly honourable  top 10 alliances to play for ...and Harmless? to cheat at ( sorry Starry & co couldn't resist that little bump LOL)

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 17:34
Ho can I find out more about the Steamers Brewery, I've never come accross that. Can someone please explain?

Cheers Mateys!!!

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 17:45
Originally posted by John Louis John Louis wrote:

Ho can I find out more about the Steamers Brewery, I've never come accross that. Can someone please explain?

Cheers Mateys!!!

Steamtastic Brewery is located at [-513|-96] and is another of the mysteries scattered around the Illyriad landscape, the most famous of course being the Ancestral Statue Hunt mystery. If you send a suitable number of advanced spies at it (HINT: a lot more than 1, and I mean A LOT) you will receive the Gnome Brew discovery which enable you to produce beer for less food usage (20 instead of the usual 25). Doesn't sound much, but it all adds up.

Your spies will also be very red eyed and eager for a fry-up upon return to your city.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 17:55
Originally posted by Smoking GNU Smoking GNU wrote:

mmmhm, i think SC and TC need to think of a way to throw a tourney exclusively for newe people only.

In what universe in online gaming  that new players have a chance of winning a server wide tournament? I would say thats part of the reason I'm chugging along, I want to be able to participate and have a fighting chance. It encourages new players to stay within the game.

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 22:04
Thanks a lot Manannan.
Do you know where I can go to read up on all the different mysteries there are (and their corresponding rewards), or is it a case of sending spies out to different sites of interest and trying my luck?
Is the Brewery unique, or are there others (i.e. like crooked houses and places of high sacrifice)?
Your comments would be very welcome indeed.

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 22:37
There are 5 mysteries I'm aware of, but I'm still searching:

The Ancestral Statue Mystery 
The Steamtastic Brewery
The Temple of Reason
The Heart of Corruption (also know by several other names, some not polite)
The Fortune Teller

The first one is covered in the wiki. The second I answered earlier. The third takes a little (a lot really) explanation and I believe Kurdruk may have explained it in his blog. Make sure you have a strong coffee on stand by before reading. The Heart of Corruption has us all currently stumped as anything (armies, diplomats, commanders, small children, trolls etc.) sent to it is lost forever and it grows! Yes commanders are lost forever if you send an army so the general advice is just ignore it for the moment whilst we all think how to kill it. The Fortune Teller is a new one in the last few days. I have no information on this to share atm as the damn thing moves about so I can't get diplomats to it. Whenever I find it it moves again before anything gets there! Angry

Crooked Houses and the High Sacrifice nodes are normal NPC spawning sites. The Fortune Teller is well disguised though as it is identical in all but name to the Gypsy Camps. It is not an NPC node though (I think) as it does move and a normal map tile is left in its place. SC keeps dropping hints there are more out there to find and as I find any I usually let people know, although not always immediately. Beer

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2011 at 23:18
THANKS VERY MUCH AGAIN MATEY!!!

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2011 at 04:27
Well I got two elemental s ( with the usage of 975 kobolds) so i can receive 40 free prestige..

i need more ele's, i must have more prestige!

-------------

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 16:09
Someone must have asked this already but...

What if 2 people have an equal number of elementals from 1 altar at the end of the tourny? Both get a statue?

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 16:44
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Someone must have asked this already but...

What if 2 people have an equal number of elementals from 1 altar at the end of the tourny? Both get a statue?

We  go to sudden death overtime! LOL

I'd personally decide it by the following if two or more are tied:
  • Time occupying the Altar
  • Casualties inflicted at the Altar
  • Casualties received at the Altar
  • Russian roulette
No idea what the actual plan is if it does happen though and it is looking increasingly likely. I can't recall anything being written about it.

-------------

Posted By: Darkwords
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 18:27
One of the elementals that I have been lucky enough to harvest has wandered off to the wrong city, I have logged a petition for this (ticket number 3252), but as this petition along with a number of others (including one submitted in april) have not been assigned yet, I hoped that by mentioning it here, the issue maybe corrected.

Many thanks.

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 19:11
Response from GM Stormcrow on 08/07/2011 14:32:36
Hi Createure, The tournie rules actually specify that elementals will be bound to the capital city of the player; so when the tournie is over we'll look to relocate them all to each players' capital city. Regards, SC

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 20:00
This is why in the commentary I say binded to cities, not capital.

Todays commentary has been delayed by more mysterious disappearances of elementals which I'll add to my petition from yesterday. I assume the people that got them still have them, they just no longer appear in the leader board.

I'd like to point out that earlier in this thread Kilotov and I mention about the Heart of Corruption and how the elementals could be important in destroying it. Kurfist has visited it with an elemental and his army escaped with its life... think thats the first time that has happened. Now we know how to survive it we need to figure out how to destroy it!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 21:05
Army with the ele out to occupy it as well, maybe a diff message will pop up.

eta 2 days.

-------------

Posted By: Ander
Date Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 04:44
wonderful Kurfist! You are the brainshot of Illy Beer

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 23:24
So when do the elementals rush into our capitals?

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 11:40
FYI,

The above post is not some act of trolling to try and push the devs into action, its just that since I was informed that the elementals will return to the players capitals, I stopped struggling to try and harness all 4 types in one city (one of my personnal targets in the tourney) and would be much upset if they did not gather at our capitals now.

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 12:16
Originally posted by Darkwords Darkwords wrote:

So when do the elementals rush into our capitals?

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/tournament-results-victors_topic2178_post23383.html#23383" rel="nofollow - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/tournament-results-victors_topic2178_post23383.html#23383

ELEMENTALS - BOUND CITIES

A quick note.  The tournament rules stated that Elementals would be bound to the Capital City of the player who Harnessed them.  In practice, the Elemental was bound to the city of the earliest occupying army, which was not necessarily the capital.

If any player has an Elemental bound to a city other than his or her capital, and wishes to have it rebound to his or her capital, please do the following:

1. Take the Elemental(s) out of any army, and put it/them in the Unit pool
  2. Open a Petition entitled "Rebind Elemental"
  3. In the Petition please say which town or towns your Elementals are in, and they will be moved to your Capital City's unit pool in the following 24hrs or so.
If you have already opened a Petition regarding this, please do still follow the procedure above as it'll help us keep all these requests together.

HTH

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 13:05
Many thanks TC

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net