Print Page | Close Window

13APR11 - Commander Vitality Patch

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: News & Announcements
Forum Name: News & Announcements
Forum Description: Changes, patch release dates, server launch dates, downtime notifications etc.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1782
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 10:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 13APR11 - Commander Vitality Patch
Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Subject: 13APR11 - Commander Vitality Patch
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:12
Hi All,

A long overdue patch to Commander Vitality has gone live.

Commander Vitality (Maximum Health) worked incorrectly in that commanders took percentage rather than absolute damage from their overall health.

Commanders now take absolute damage as a percentage from 100 maximum points of damage.

To explain:

THE OLD WAY
  • Commander 1 with 100 Health takes 70% damage and is left with 30 Health
  • Commander 1 with 30 Health fights again, takes 70% damage and is left with 9 Health
  • Commander 2 with 200 Health takes 70% damage and is left with 60 Health

This old way - which was wrong - meant that commanders with higher Maximum Health (Vitality) took more damage than commanders without higher Vitality, and Vitality was therefore relatively meaningless.

THE NEW WAY
  • Commander 1 with 100 Health takes 70% damage which is translated into 70 points of damage and is left with 30 Health
  • Commander 1 with 30 Health fights again, takes 70% damage which is translated into 70 points of damage and is dead (subject to Defy Death skill) at -40 Health
  • Commander 2 with 200 Health takes 70% damage which is translated into 70 points of damage and is left with 130 Health

The long and short of it is that:

• Commanders with higher Vitality are now substantially more survivable
  • Commanders who fight with less than 100 Health can now be slain in combat even if your overall combat is victorious, depending on how close the combat differential between attacker and defender is compared to the commander's remaining Health.

A long overdue, and hopefully welcome patch.

Regards,

SC

Replies:
Posted By: Nokigon
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 10:18
Ah, at last! Definitely welcome. Congrats, SC- this game is getting better all the time.

Posted By: Grego
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 12:21
My commanders are very pleased with the news. Well, most of them.

Posted By: HonoredMule
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 15:55
This is indeed long overdue and greatly welcomed. Smile

Posted By: Raritor
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 17:11
Great, you have make some of my commanders happy

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 17:28
WooHoo!  Lost my first commander to this today :)

BTW - this change still means high vitality is bad, accelerated healing is now worth something though.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 22:28
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

WooHoo!  Lost my first commander to this today :)

BTW - this change still means high vitality is bad, accelerated healing is now worth something though.

No vitality is good now. You loose the same number of points no matter how many you have, so if you have more vitality your commander will survive for more time

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 22:31
High vitality is now a good thing! Accelerated healing also has new relevance as a result.

SC

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 22:39
I assume if you lose a battle, the commander/s is/are auto-killed now?

For example, a 200 health commander, fights a battle where 99% of his men die (call him Pyrrus if you like) but the battle is won. Pyrrus loses 99 health leaving him with 101 health.

So if Phyrrus fought almost the same battle, but lost 100% of his troops, would he himself would lose 200 health? (as in dead, like a cadava, or a meringue.)

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 22:46
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

I assume if you lose a battle, the commander/s is/are auto-killed now?

For example, a 200 health commander, fights a battle where 99% of his men die (call him Pyrrus if you like) but the battle is won. Pyrrus loses 99 health leaving him with 101 health.

So if Phyrrus fought almost the same battle, but lost 100% of his troops, would he himself would lose 200 health? (as in dead, like a cadava, or a meringue.)

Pyrrhus - great name for him ofc - should survive and return home alone, although having lost the battle and in great shame.

It's a great question though, Createure.

This is something we *may* change in the future, depending on what the internal stats show us.  We debated long and hard about whether the commander should die by default if all the troops around him are slain (and only rely on the Defy Death skill to save him).  The jury is still out on this one, and things might change in that direction depending on what the stats show. At the moment he will survive if his maxhealth > 100.

Regards,

SC

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 22:53
Intriguing. Thanks SC.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 23:03
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Pyrrhus - great name for him ofc - should survive and return home alone, although having lost the battle and in great shame.

It's a great question though, Createure.

This is something we *may* change in the future, depending on what the internal stats show us.  We debated long and hard about whether the commander should die by default if all the troops around him are slain (and only rely on the Defy Death skill to save him).  The jury is still out on this one, and things might change in that direction depending on what the stats show. At the moment he will survive if his maxhealth > 100.

Regards,

SC

In my opinion if the army is destroyed the commander should be dead too. Defy death should be his only chance then.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 23:08
yes I think Raritor does have a point + this update cheapens experience spent in the 'defy death' slot.

But I agree with SC that we should wait to see how this change plays out in game in large battle situations... there is always that ever important 'fun factor' to consider.

edit: besides I always thought the 'defy death' option was way over-powered anyways.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 23:18
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

yes I think Raritor does have a point + this update cheapens experience spent in the 'defy death' slot.

But I agree with SC that we should wait to see how this change plays out in game in large battle situations... there is always that ever important 'fun factor' to consider.

edit: besides I always thought the 'defy death' option was way over-powered anyways.

Well, quite.  This is a rebalance first attempt on the tripartite skills Vitality, Defy Death and Accelerated Healing, all of which have interdependencies.

The one that was most obviously broken was Vitality and this is the one that is now fixed and doing what it should be doing.  We may rebalance Accelerated Healing and Defy Death in the future.  And if you have a gaming thesaurus, "rebalancing" is a synonym for both "buff" and, more often, "nerf".

Magic Resistance - possibly the most broken skill of all - will also receive some love shortly.

SC

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 23:24
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Magic Resistance - possibly the most broken skill of all - will also receive some love shortly.

SC

That will be really great. Hope to use all those magic we have stored!!

Posted By: Torn Sky
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 00:05
i dont think a commander should die with the army on all occasions he is the elite of the army and has more training so in a non overwhelming defeat he should have the skill to slip away injured

but can a commander take more than 100% damage in a single battle and if say over 100% damage is possible will it be split between the commanders and the already dead units or will the units be taken out of the dmg at 100%(death) and anything over 100% get split bwtween the commanders

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 00:57
Originally posted by Torn Sky Torn Sky wrote:

i dont think a commander should die with the army on all occasions he is the elite of the army and has more training so in a non overwhelming defeat he should have the skill to slip away injured

^^ which is what the Defy Death skill is for

Originally posted by Torn Sky Torn Sky wrote:

but can a commander take more than 100% damage in a single battle and if say over 100% damage is possible will it be split between the commanders and the already dead units or will the units be taken out of the dmg at 100%(death) and anything over 100% get split bwtween the commanders

Something like that might be a possibility. As said, it's something we'll monitor going forward and adjust (nerf/buff) as we feel necessary based on stats.

Best,

SC

Posted By: G0DsDestroyer
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 03:33
Well now since Vit is a good upgrade and Accelerated heal is, i hope my commander can upgrade his more, since it's stuck at 8/10!Cry

-------------
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=G0DsDestroyer" rel="nofollow - Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin

Posted By: The_Dragon
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 07:33
Maybe we can set Commander die if his army die, no matter how many HP he has, with a compensation.

If the Commander still has positive HP left when his army is destroyed, then he need less time to resurrect (if Defy Death don't save him from death). The more HP left, the less time needed to resurrect.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 09:34
I like this idea too

Posted By: HonoredMule
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2011 at 16:06
I think we aren't supposed to be using the announcement forum for discussion, so I'm moving my reply http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/topic1793_post18392.html#18392 - here .

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net