Print Page | Close Window

The 100,000 population club

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Strategies, Guides & Help
Forum Name: Strategies, Tips & Tricks
Forum Description: Player created guides and advice.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1557
Printed Date: 24 Apr 2024 at 13:46
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The 100,000 population club
Posted By: xBloodxPoolx
Subject: The 100,000 population club
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 00:35
I recently reached the 100,000 population mark, and am looking for people who are at this also at this point. I'm looking ideas, or tips on different strategies to keep my cities growing and to get that 9th city. Also tips on how to raise your ranks are greatly appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Strategos
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 07:53
I tip my hat to you sir, congratulations!

-------------
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Posted By: Hora
Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 10:43
Oh... congrats Clap

And me was happy for reaching 10.000 ...Confused

Posted By: Kumomoto
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 03:18
Congrats! The best advice I could give is that you're going to need to level up some buildings you otherwise wouldn't need to reach 130 for that 9th city (things like getting your spearmaker to 20, etc...)

Good luck!

Kumo

Posted By: Iduna
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 17:29
lot's of food, you need lot's of food...... Wink

and after that up to city nr. 10 :

Population Required for next city233550

Posted By: G0DsDestroyer
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 17:48
Only 25950 pop average for all 9 cites to get to that, can't be that hardWink Not like you need a functioning city, having 10 cities is way coolerCool

-------------
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=G0DsDestroyer" rel="nofollow - Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin

Posted By: Brids17
Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 18:28
So it's possible to actually reach 10 cities? >.>

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 18:46
It looks that way, but it wouldn't be very manageable without a second account or a lot of gold, as far as i can tell

-------------
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?gamertag=G0DsDestroyer" rel="nofollow - Tia mi aven Moridin isainde vadin

Date Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 20:46
they would need to introduce a new way of gathering food, like fishing for example, that way I might go for it, but now......9 is enough Big smile

Posted By: waylander69
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 17:30
I agree, 10 is a rather hard one to get to..getting 9 and keeping it all in balance is hard enough..

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 02:19
Well if you had the help of your alliance I'm sure you could work together to get someone to 10 cities. Has anyone done it yet? 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 02:27
Nope, fortebraccio has the highest pop. and has only 9 towns. As you can see in the rankings here:
http://uk1.illyriad.co.uk/view_player_rankings.asp?RankingTypeID=1&RankingOutputID=1 - http://uk1.illyriad.co.uk/view_player_rankings.asp?RankingTypeID=1&RankingOutputID=1

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 04:14
Someone should get a 10th town. They'd be famous! 

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 15:42
Whoever goes for it will have effectively minimal functioning cities...

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 19:21
Originally posted by Kumomoto Kumomoto wrote:

hmmmm.....low functionality and a high popBig smile
methinks a siege would end one of those towns if not allWink

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 20:20

Only until they reached the pop required for the 10th city. Then from there they could demo a bunch of junk to rebalanced everything.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2011 at 20:51
Originally posted by G0DsDestroyer G0DsDestroyer wrote:

hmmmm.....low functionality and a high popBig smile
methinks a siege would end one of those towns if not allWink

You said it, not me!!! Tongue

Posted By: col0005
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 11:21
hey how much population does a fully maxed out city have? I thought based on current available buildings that 10 is impossible

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 14:27
Originally posted by col0005 col0005 wrote:

hey how much population does a fully maxed out city have? I thought based on current available buildings that 10 is impossible

26985 As can be seen with ScottFitz's capital Warin:
http://uk1.illyriad.co.uk/view_player_profile.asp?ReceivedPlayerName=ScottFitz&DisplayPlayerID=6757 - http://uk1.illyriad.co.uk/view_player_profile.asp?ReceivedPlayerName=ScottFitz&DisplayPlayerID=6757

-------------

Posted By: Beengalas
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 07:39
I would recommend you reading my threat "the power of sovereginty" on this subject. If you get all your cities on 7 square food farms and with decent food sov. tiles next to it you can get max pop, supply high taxes and gain more troops than any other city.

Posted By: HonoredMule
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 08:58
Yeah...those of us who rushed our way to 5 cities before sovereignty came out are a little screwed.  Sure, we could have chosen 7-food squares from the beginning, but there aren't that many, they weren't well placed, and in my opinion, 7/3 is too imbalanced a spread.  (6/4 still allows max pop and a productive city without constant resource shipping).

I look forward to the hinted future ability to terraform our cities.  +2 food for -1 clay and -1 stone would be worth any in-game price.

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 13:54
HM - be careful saying things like "any in-game price."  :)

Posted By: scottfitz
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 15:21
The best way to max a town is look for a a 7 food tile that is within a tile or two of a massive food bonus spawn point  (or two such places is even better) and there should also be a few other food bonus tiles close by. Start the town on the 7 tile and then max out all the internal farm and build sov 5 farms on all the dolmens and bonus  food tiles, this should give you enough food to easily max the town (with time or prestige!)

Posted By: scottfitz
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 15:22
But, there will be a trade off, larger towns have smaller armies!

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 17:47
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

and in my opinion, 7/3 is too imbalanced a spread.  (6/4 still allows max pop and a productive city without constant resource shipping).

As a dwarf, my capital only gets 3 iron spots. 3 maxed out iron spots is currently bringing in 9212 resources per hour. Now sure, iron might eventually run a little low in my capital but over all, that's enough. Now the 7/3 food spots (or at least the one I'm sitting on) is 3 clay. Who seriously needs more than 9212 clay per hour? Oh, you'd have more actually, since you'd have kiln maxed out as well.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 21:16
My 7/3 split cities are woefully under-capable in the sovereignty department.  Istan gains 63 wood per hour with a maxed out carpentry, leaving no income for even keeping equipment queues up, let alone extending population.  Were it not for the limits imposed by research income, I would run Istan into the ground for population and troops alone in my quest for city # 10.

...that is, of course with sovereignty used for something besides food and wood.  It was never my intent, after all, to be some kind of immortal Illyriad retiree, relegated to Sim City-like existence.  One thing I'm very tired of is trading resources with myself.

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 22:12

HM, you can have the city sieged so you can resettle on a better tile.  That's a tough call, though.  But you know all this.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 03:01
Indeed I do. Dead  If I were going that route, I'd have to siege most of my cities, which--aside from the struggle of achieving city #10--are well-designed for economic and military output.  And while I can't plan around speculative updates, it would be a colossal waste if something like naval features rendered my sacrifice moot.

So for me, it's staid and steady to finish the course.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 03:24
Ah...I think this is part of the design of Illy, tho.  Choices.  Trade-offs.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 06:10
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

My 7/3 split cities are woefully under-capable in the sovereignty department.  Istan gains 63 wood per hour with a maxed out carpentry, leaving no income for even keeping equipment queues up, let alone extending population.  Were it not for the limits imposed by research income, I would run Istan into the ground for population and troops alone in my quest for city # 10.

...that is, of course with sovereignty used for something besides food and wood.  It was never my intent, after all, to be some kind of immortal Illyriad retiree, relegated to Sim City-like existence.  One thing I'm very tired of is trading resources with myself.

63 wood? That's just...well, terrible. You must have some maxed out sov spots though? Either that or like 50 sov spots.

I'm willing to bet eventually obtaining 10 cities will be easier. It seems impractical for the GMs to have a feature that is nearly unobtainable. Plus there's been mention of possibly fishing for food with the introduction of boats so perhaps that will make it easier to achieve.

Posted By: Llyorn Of Jaensch
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 13:15
HM's city shortcomings are more than made up for by his colossal intellect. The boy be smart. 

Its his cross to bear.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 13:43
Exactly, and that's why I'm not destroying what are actually well-designed cities just to rebuild them for achieving 230k pop, then be unable to rebuild them as effective cities without losing one anyway.  This is a problem I'm confident will solve itself eventually.

Erm, the "exactly" refers to Brids17's post, not Llyorn's ever-effluent praise.  (This sucker's always trying to butter me up...I watch my back. Wink)

Posted By: Makanalani
Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 22:30
Blue just got a tenth city... *Claps* for this achievement

-Mak

-------------
"Life is a beautiful struggle"

-New IGN: Mak (Dark Blight)

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 04 May 2011 at 22:40
Originally posted by Makanalani Makanalani wrote:

Blue just got a tenth city... *Claps* for this achievement

-Mak

/me claps very, very loudly for this achievement.

Without wishing to pop any bubbles, however, one player (nameless unless they wish to name themself!) reached this lofty status just before you (on the 24th of April...).

Regardless, I do think some sort of recognition for these pioneers is in order, and will ponder on it's form further.

Regards,

SC

Posted By: Createure
Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 00:04
Nine cities will always be the limit for me...

I'm content to let the dedicated few grab that extra 11% potential production power higher than me... in the mean time I'll enjoy vastly greater production power while they struggle towards SIMMORTALITY.

Posted By: Lionz Heartz
Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 00:22
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Without wishing to pop any bubbles, however, one player (nameless unless they wish to name themself!) reached this lofty status just before you (on the 24th of April...).Regards,SC

I do not know who it is.

Do not know who it is.

Unsure who it is.

Not sure who it is.

And not sure who it is.

-------------
HELLS COMING WITH ME YOU HEAR, HELLS COMING WITH ME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4&feature=related

Posted By: kicking5251
Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 03:06
then why post? Confused

Posted By: Lionz Heartz
Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 04:23
Read the first letter from every sentence top to bottom kick.

-------------
HELLS COMING WITH ME YOU HEAR, HELLS COMING WITH ME!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynKoZD-sFi4&feature=related

Posted By: kicking5251
Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 08:10
ah thats quite cool

Date Posted: 05 May 2011 at 21:00
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Regardless, I do think some sort of recognition for these pioneers is in order, and will ponder on it's form further.

Regards,

SC

I was hoping for one of the City Discoveries when reaching city nr. 10.
However, I am now curious as to what SC might have in mind otherwise.

for now congrats to MB4U2 Clap Beer

Date Posted: 06 May 2011 at 02:12
So wait, you were the first to get 10 cities but then you didn't brag to everyone about it? I mean, I'm not one to brag either but come on, that's like, your name is now written in Illyriad history! 

Date Posted: 06 May 2011 at 10:26
The people that write history know, that should be enough recognition for now.
I did post a thread on the 11th city requirement (which is impossible at this point).

Also I would like to point out that I could not have done it without the help of my alliance, keeping a constant flow of food going to my cities (each city was -8000 in food) otherwise, in my humble opinion, this is a real challenge and maybe even impossible.

city 11 requires a pop lvl which cannot be reached with the current build options in the cities.

But, the GM realy know how to create a challenge to reach certain goals. Clap

Posted By: lokifeyson
Date Posted: 07 May 2011 at 11:54
Congrats Iduna and Blue :)

it was fun watching the pop contest ;)

on side note, im about to settle 7th town, and so far all of my towns besides capital are 7 food, I even got to luckily move some towns during "the great migration"

forested hilltop with only 3 lumber jacks?
stony ground with only 3 stone?

LOLLOLLOLLOL
LOL
I love it!

I'm not exactly sure when sov came out but i know I joined when it was pretty darn new, so glad I ran with FOOD in mind and have MoreBlue4U2 and cuzdeath for friends/neighbors/co-workers in real life

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net