Print Page | Close Window

email interface

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Suggestions & Game Enhancements
Forum Description: Got a great idea? A feature you'd like to see? Share it here!
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=155
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 05:42
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: email interface
Posted By: maxellsnow
Subject: email interface
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 20:23
I am sure putting delete at the bottom was to avoid accidental deletes, but for those storing info in their inbox it can be a pain...I would like to see it at the top along with a "mark as read" button...

Just some thoughts...

Replies:
Posted By: Rattlesnake
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 22:01
Next and Previous links would also rock.

Also, it would be sexy to have the location listings in emails be hotlinks to a map view for that location.

"Your caravan just got bitch slapped at a resource site on 55|55. Click there to see the wreckage."

Also, it would be nice if it said what the resource was.

I'm rambling here, sorry.

Posted By: GM Stormcrow
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 22:16
Not rambling, either of you, it's good stuff.

On the dev list is a mention of "Email fixes", but let's call this thread the 'official' list of everything we want in the mail system.

Including your stuff above and below, I want:

• Delete buttons at top as well as bottom
  • Next and Previous links on individual emails
  • Pagination
  • More links from emails to things ingame :
  • player name --> drop down with options "send message, view profile"
  • alliance name/ticker --> alliance profile
  • town names --> drop down as on the world map, plus add "center map on"
  • X|Y locations --> "center map on"
  • Archive function (top and bottom)
  • Ability to delete Sent Items
  • Search Function by player (and maybe by content as well)
  • Mail Entire Alliance button (for players with sufficient Alliance Permissions)
  • Sorting function (by date, by name, by topic etc]
  • "Mark as Read", "Mark as Unread" options
Anyone else got any more?  Stick 'em down here, as we want to do this in one swell foop, if at all possible.

-------------
GM Stormcrow | http://bit.ly/rLKfoT" rel="nofollow - Twitter | http://on.fb.me/uvfajA" rel="nofollow - Facebook | http://bit.ly/rBzlzf" rel="nofollow - G+

Posted By: Wuzzel
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 22:23
I think i said this before.
But a seperate alliance inbox with mail that stays in that box till someone with sufficient rights delete it.
Like in EvE. (forum information / voice communication / irc channels / passwords / etc etc)
So someone new to the Alliance will read it.
So i dont have to send the info seperately to each new member.

Hope you understand what i am trying to say :).

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 22:24
Originally posted by Wuzzel Wuzzel wrote:

I think i said this before.
But a seperate alliance inbox that stays in that box till someone with sufficient rights delete it.
Like in EvE. (forum information / voice communication / irc channels / passwords / etc etc)
So someone new to the Alliance will read it.
So i dont have to send the info seperately to each new member.

Hope you understand what i am trying to say :).

I do, completely, but this would be unnecessary with an ingame alliance forum for each alliance, where the alliance can create a Folder called "New Players Must Read" and put everything in there instead.

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2010 at 22:38
Ok you got me there.
I am looking forward to the ingame alliance forum :).

Posted By: GM ThunderCat
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 01:37
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Not rambling, either of you, it's good stuff.

On the dev list is a mention of "Email fixes", but let's call this thread the 'official' list of everything we want in the mail system.

Including your stuff above, I want:

• Delete buttons at top as well as bottom
  • Next and Previous links on individual emails
  • Pagination
  • More links from emails to things ingame :
  • player name --> drop down with options "send message, view profile"
  • alliance name/ticker --> alliance profile
  • town names --> drop down as on the world map, plus add "center map on"
  • X|Y locations --> "center map on"
  • Archive function (top and bottom)
  • Ability to delete Sent Items
  • Search Function by player (and maybe by content as well)
  • Mail Entire Alliance button (for players with sufficient Alliance Permissions)
  • Sorting function (by date, by name, by topic etc)
Anyone else got any more?  Stick 'em down here, as we want to do this in one swell foop, if at all possible.

GM Stormcrow - what are you doing? Are you trying to short cut the dev priority list by insisiting its player demands?

Methinks you need a less conspicuous user icon for this... ;-P

Posted By: Rattlesnake
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 13:08
As long as we're making a wish list, I'd like "mark as read" and "mark as unread" buttons.  That way when I have 10 messages about caravan movements, I can just clean them up without hitting the server 20 times (10 list views, 10 message views).

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2010 at 13:31
Originally posted by GM ThunderClap GM ThunderClap wrote:

GM Stormcrow - what are you doing? Are you trying to short cut the dev priority list by insisiting its player demands?

Methinks you need a less conspicuous user icon for this... ;-P

No shortcutting, honest Wink

Just trying to make sure it's all covered in one pass !

Posted By: KillerPoodle
Date Posted: 19 Mar 2010 at 00:42
"Next and Previous links on individual emails"

And "Delete"

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 20:10
Originally posted by Rattlesnake Rattlesnake wrote:

As long as we're making a wish list, I'd like "mark as read" and "mark as unread" buttons.  That way when I have 10 messages about caravan movements, I can just clean them up without hitting the server 20 times (10 list views, 10 message views).

Likeiness.  Added.

-------------
GM Stormcrow | http://bit.ly/rLKfoT" rel="nofollow - Twitter | http://on.fb.me/uvfajA" rel="nofollow - Facebook | http://bit.ly/rBzlzf" rel="nofollow - G+

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 20:13
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

And "Delete"

You don't need to support existing things on the "love list" KP - new items are welcome, but the rest is just post count Tongue

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 21:50

And "Delete"

You don't need to support existing things on the "love list" KP - new items are welcome, but the rest is just post count Tongue

Must have been late for me to have been so terse.  What I meant was - while you're doing those first two things (the ones I quoted) make sure to remember to add a delete button too.

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2010 at 21:54

And "Delete"

Must have been late for me to have been so terse.  What I meant was - while you're doing those first two things (the ones I quoted) make sure to remember to add a delete button too.

Ah, I'm just poking you for fun, KP - you're still one of my fave bughunters/petitioners!

Posted By: HonoredMule
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 02:00
Select unread--useful for reading important messages then mass-deleting the spam we don't even need to open.

Archive with tagging--useful for record keeping, i.e. email shows what resources player B lent me, tagged as 'debt'.  Also allows me to clear out my inbox of old information without losing it outright.

Trash can:  I've already noticed that "deleted" messages still exist in the database, and can still be reached by URL if you remember the MsgID.  Given that, we might as well have a chance to correct accidental deletions or read deleted email if it's really important.  I like the idea of email that can't be truly deleted either.  Incorruptible paper trails can help keep people honest.

I hope that when you get around to linkifying all the various labels (player/town/alliance names, etc) that you do it universally...meaning in the bodies of system messages and anywhere that it is lacking outside the emails system as well (such as trade summary windows).

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 05:21
One more: add a "Human messages only" category. 

There are several links to exclude messages not of a particular type from the system, but none to exclude all system messages themselves.  These various methods of filtering down to a particular type of system message are comparatively useless when you have to keep those messages deleted in order to find non-system messages anyway.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 06:17
Make hyperlinks automatically clickable in the mail.

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 08:18
Excellent suggestions all, HM.

Posted By: Arcturas
Date Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 02:49
Hey,

Could you add auto-links to the character profile and/or rankings to the in-game mail system? So that if someone sends me a message, or if I send a scout mission to them and the system gives me an automated report on who I scouted/what's there, I can click on them and show ranking/more easily find their city. Or at the very least include the city coords in scout/military reports.

Arcturas

Posted By: joekewl
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 18:59
It would be really great if we could archive some messages. This way they are not in the general "inbox." It would make tracking conversations, targets, etc. much easier.

Posted By: fleisl
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 20:43
While reading a mail message, it would be really nice to have a few buttons, maybe on the top or bottom roll of the scroll:
Previous Message, Next Message, Back to Message List

Fun game!
Thanks,
fleisl

Posted By: jimbo_hawkins
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 20:50
and a delete message button, please...

Posted By: Fishymax
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 21:24
It would be nice to be able to delete messages that we have sent.  thanks Development.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 23:11
In the INBOX you can select message and delete them jimbo_hawkins

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 23:16
Good idea joekewl, but i think your topic belongs here:

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/suggestions-game-enhancements_forum16.html - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/suggestions-game-enhancements_forum16.html

EDIT:

Also check this:

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/current-dev-list_topic98.html - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/current-dev-list_topic98.html

MAIL ENHANCEMENTS
  • repaginate, archiving, "mail alliance" buttons

Posted By: MFrance
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 23:23
Yeah but it would be nice to have it on top. Once I checked every system messages I won't read, I have to scroll down the page to delete them.

It would also be nice to be able to forward a message and to send to several people (e.g. everybody in your alliance) at a time. That would maximise communication.

..MFrance

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 00:54
Fill in alliance in the send field and ignore the warning that pop up that the name doesnt exist.
You can use that to send to your alliance.

Also check this:

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/current-dev-list_topic98.html - http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/current-dev-list_topic98.html

MAIL ENHANCEMENTS
  • repaginate, archiving, "mail alliance" buttons

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 01:41
Thanks, that's a cool trick.

..MFrance

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 05:14
woops, snafu'd it. maybe a nice admin will move it.  :)

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 09:01
Originally posted by MFrance MFrance wrote:

It would also be nice to be able to forward a message and to send to several people (e.g. everybody in your alliance) at a time. That would maximise communication.

You can actually do this currently (for alliance-wide emails) with a small workaround... If you have mail alliance permissions, simply type the word "Alliance" into the send to text box.  The lookup will say "No Results Found", but ignore it.  The mail will send to the whole alliance.

It's a horrible temporary hack, but it works.

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 09:02
Merging new thread on this into this thread.

Posted By: Ivorich Von Forge
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 05:59

... let's call this thread the 'official' list of everything we want in the mail system.

Multi-recipients? Not to be confused with alliance mail. This is for mass-mailing members of various alliances or no alliance at all. For example: "Ivorich Von Forge, Ulrich Heintz, GM Stromcrow" would send a duplicate of the mail to all three individuals, even if not in the same alliance.

Posted By: Ivorich Von Forge
Date Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 11:41
Mail forwarding would be nice, too

Posted By: Deviant Hag
Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 18:47
Hi, Would it be possible to have a little arrow or whatever to go to the next message, or even better, a delete button so that we can delete that message and the next one just pops up. Thanks.

Posted By: fieries
Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 20:48
I think that having folders in the mail area would be very helpful. You would be able to sort threw your mail and keep the ones u need separate so you don't delete on accident

Posted By: Candls
Date Posted: 03 May 2010 at 20:55
I agree it all too easy to delete  wanted mail under the all tab when simply trying to get rid of the system messages.

Perhaps a save option as an alternative/addition

Posted By: strives
Date Posted: 04 May 2010 at 09:16
i suggest an option to delete all messages currently viewed ingame. there are 25 messages or so on each page. seeing that you get a lot of messages every hour it is annoying to read or mark each one so you can delete them. an option mark all on page would be useful. 
yes, i am a lazy ass who finds it boring to mark 50 messages per hour. 

Posted By: Tubana
Date Posted: 04 May 2010 at 09:23
A good suggestion, another would be to be able to delete the message from the screen that you read it on so you can read then hit delete as apposed to read, go back to messages and then delete it.

Date Posted: 04 May 2010 at 11:08

About the automatic messages when we harvest, I don't know about the other players, but personnally I don't care when my caravans start harvesting and are finished harvesting. What I'd like to know is when they are back home (because I'm waiting for them). And of course I want to receive when there's an interruption.

Also, when a trade offer is accepted.. would it possible that all important info stands in the title of the message, so I don't have to open it to find out.. Something like: "Your trade offer of 4 books vs 500 woods has been accepted by Player123". Then I know everything I have to know and delete it on the spot.

..MFrance

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 17:26
The ability to forward a message would be great.

Posted By: bow locks
Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 09:22
can we please see to which city the message applies? when you have multiple cities it is very hard to keep track.  there needs to be a column for 'cityname'.

thanks

bow

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 16:17
^^ this especially.  It's particularly annoying when allies send resources out of the blue, and then I have to poke around to actually find out where.

Posted By: kima
Date Posted: 22 May 2010 at 11:59

Next and Previous links would also rock.

this would be very very very good..........
as the email box works also as report box from the system, it gets really annoying to always have to click "mail" to see the next report....
and also a delete option of the email on the mail box, i.e, you read it and delete it without having to click "mail" again............................

-------------
If life doesn't break you today, don't worry... it will try again tomorrow!!

Posted By: Ottar
Date Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 10:54
Just logged into the forum to see if the "Mark as read" option was suggested. It has been...cool beanz Wink

Date Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 18:46
Umz, i think you are confusing the forum and ingame mail.

-------------

Posted By: bartimeus
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2010 at 16:47
What does "Umz" mean?

-------------
Bartimeus, your very best friend.

Posted By: Faya
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 03:03
Hey all,

Here are some suggestions I thought of one night when I was watching my buildings build... Feel free to comment. These suggestions have to so with the Email system:

Email:

1. In an email, what about a delete button on the email itself? It would be nice to delete a message Im done with as soon as Im done reading it instead of having to go back to mail and then delete it. 
  2. Auto Delete - I would love a auto-delete ability to be set PER type of mail (Military, magic, people, sent, etc). We should be able to set a auto deletion time that it would auto perge all mail older than the time, per type. So, if I set Military on 3 days and sent mail on 7 days and people on 0, it would never auto delete human mails to me, it would delete military emails after they were 3 days old and sent mail deleted after 7 days old. This would help keep the servers clean.
  3. Sorting Mail - I would love to see the ability to "sort" my game mail. For instance, if I receive something I want to keep, I could move it to a new "folder" I create (like I would do in my Outlook Email at home). 
  4. Turning system emails on and off - I think it would be nice if we could determine WHICH system mails we would like to see. For instance, I could care less that my caravans are returning. But I DO care when they arrive or if they get destroyed or bumped. I need Scout mission results and military success and failures, but may not care about others.
  5. Confederation mail - Have access for the "leaders" to allow confederation "leaders" mail your entire alliance as well, just like they were part of you mail. It would need to be a controlled access so only the founder (the person who control the capital city of the alliance), could send mail to all confederation alliances, or select which confederations alliances to send to. 
  6. Reply to Alliance/Forward - Would be handy to be able to forward a mail message a person sent you to your entire alliance. Kind of like a reply to alliance or a forward to them at least. Right now, you could only reply to the sender. 

Feel free to comment or add to!  

thx

Faya

Posted By: Grunvagr
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 14:13

There are some things in my mailbox that I always want to keep.  Maybe for others it's a funny message, or an invitation to join an alliance and they want to hold that option open.

But everytime you raid or your caravans do stuff -- the inbox quickly fills up.   Then it's annoying to have to select those items to not delete EVERY TIME.

Suggestion:  Add a feature to 'keep for your records' or 'save' a mailbox item.  You can max it out at 10 or so, so players don't stress your servers.  But a way to save some mail AUTOMATICALLY every time if you toggle it on/off.

This would make it VERY easy to select all and delete your mailbox often - while still keeping those mails you find important.

Thanks,

-Grun

Posted By: Grunvagr
Date Posted: 23 Sep 2010 at 03:20

One more.

Player messages in game should have a unique identifier.  That way players know another player sent it, and it's not a system-msg generated in the game (like caravans arrive, troops fight, etc)

Best way to code it in?  Use the same purple / light blue subtext that you see in the trading icon (the gold coins up top).

Green numbers at the top = mail messages

Purple numbers at the bottom = player sent messages

That would rock.

Posted By: some random guy
Date Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 01:37
umz is the wuzzel way of saying um.

-------------
Soon, very soon, my name will become synonymous with chicken alfredo.... mmm.... chicken alfredo....

Posted By: liberty6
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 04:27
what about a forward i mean the leaders of an allaince could then forward messages to each other instead of copying and pasting. or if your a (clears thought) a spy you could then forward the messages frome the alliance your spying on to you contact.

-------------
whats happened to the world? if intelegent life came to earth is RL would they consider us intelligent or not? probably not!!!!

Posted By: sityviper
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 20:02

"Your caravan just got bitch slapped at a resource site on 55|55. Click there to see the wreckage."

lol, hope my caravans dont get bitch slapped, i'de have to return the favor LOL

-------------
§.i.†.¥.V.‡.¶.€.® 3

Posted By: Kelis
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2010 at 21:36
This thread was started in March. Has the email system been improved since this topic was first brought up?

Pretty discouraging...

-------------
Kelis

Posted By: liberty6
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 03:46
no it hasn't but i am sure the gms are busy this might be coming out in the new user interface though.

-------------
whats happened to the world? if intelegent life came to earth is RL would they consider us intelligent or not? probably not!!!!

Posted By: Mr. Ubiquitous Feral
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2011 at 19:43
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

Archive with tagging--useful for record keeping, i.e. email shows what resources player B lent me, tagged as 'debt'.  Also allows me to clear out my inbox of old information without losing it outright.

Trash can:  I've already noticed that "deleted" messages still exist in the database, and can still be reached by URL if you remember the MsgID.  Given that, we might as well have a chance to correct accidental deletions or read deleted email if it's really important.  I like the idea of email that can't be truly deleted either.  Incorruptible paper trails can help keep people honest.

I thought this was my original idea until I read it here.  I would like to see the archiving feature so I will only see new mail when I open the page.

-------------
I am a Machine.

Posted By: scaramouche
Date Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:50
erm....ok...well shows you how outta touch ive been with the forums..i was about to come on here to start a new thread about the crap mail system we have to put up with, but seems this idea has already been considered by most people already.

well i havent time to read all posts but from the few i have read shows my feelings and ideas have already been put forward, so im gonna leave this in your hands and just mention im completely for any improvements to it and im right behind you guys ...:)

Posted By: skam2423
Date Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 02:01
I like the ideas, except there in addition to the delete button with the selection, it would be handy to have a button that gives the player options on receiving certain mails in the first place - the one in particular that is annoying is the harvesting ones.  Since tend to get 2 copies for the moment, one in green and one in blue (I know with slight differences, but I am sure most would prefer to only have one).

But thanks anyway, enjoying the game.

Posted By: Uaithne
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 02:50
I would like to reiterate the need for both the ability to delete sent emails as well as eliminating the notification emails since we are also getting notifications.   Not only for organization purposes but also for privacy issues. 

Posted By: vodkasoda
Date Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 18:53
Can I please make a suggestion as well, regarding the Mail system ... where we currently have the 10 options along the top, can we have an eleventh one, entitled Keep or Archive, where we can move E:Mails that we want to keep ? They would NOT show up under any other tab so could not. therefore, be deleted accidentally ...

Posted By: vodkasoda
Date Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 18:45
Also ... when I open an E:Mail, I currently have to go back to the full list of E:Mails & choose to delete it ... can we not have a Delete button on each Mail that will delete it & automatically Open the next mail ?!?

Posted By: Assendous
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2011 at 10:37
Here's an Idea, and I may just be spit-balling, but I noticed we cant have a seperate file to put saved msgs or contacts of interests.... I constantly have to go look through my sent or have my inbox loaded, which I hate doing either. Perhaps if we had the ability to have folders we could send certain messages to these folders and make the inbox much more organized..... I don't know just a thought that I've been wondering about.

Posted By: Rill
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 07:06
Could it be possible to have a "save as draft" option on mail?  As it is, I have to flip out of mail to send people resources or do other tasks.

I would also like to be able to sort mail by sender or recipient.  Also the ability to copy mail to multiple recipients.

Thanks!

Posted By: Dhenna
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 10:19
And personal customizable folders, PLEASE!

Date Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 22:02
+1 Dhenna

Posted By: Calael
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 00:04
I think that it would be helpful to have a delete button within each message individually. Oftentimes i will be in a message and want to delete it, but in order to do that i have to go back to the inbox screen, check the box, and then delete the message. It's for this reason that i believe it would be much easier to simply put a button in the message itself.

Date Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 00:08
yes, a delete button on the mail would be handy

Posted By: SunStorm
Date Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 19:09
I was about to begin a new post about the e-mail interface when I ran across this.  So, just like everyone else, I am adding my two cents worth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarding and Replying on all messages should attach the original sender / receiver name. 
e.g.
> FW: Scout Mission to -------- Completely Successful!
> Received: 12 Mar 2012 18:07
> Sent By: System
> Sent to SunStorm

> Original Message:

Then if I forwarded this to Billy Joe Bob --> who forwards it to GM Stormcrow --> who is about to forward it along to someone else = it would look like this:
e.g.
> FW: FW: FW: Scout Mission to -------- Completely Successful!
> Received: 12 Mar 2012 18:35

> Sent By: Billy Joe Bob
> Sent To: GM Stormcrow

> Original Message:

Hey GM Stormcrow, Billy Joe Bob just sent me this message of SunStorm's scout report - thought you should take a look...

>> FW: FW: Scout Mission to -------- Completely Successful!
>> Received: 12 Mar 2012 18:34
>> Sent By: SunStorm
>> Sent To: Billy Joe Bob

>> Original Message:

Billy Joe Bob, take a look at this!

>>> FW: Scout Mission to -------- Completely Successful!
>>> Received: 12 Mar 2012 18:07
>>> Sent By: System
>>> Sent to SunStorm

>>> Original Message:
And so on and so forth....

Text messaging allow cell-phone users to "lock" a message.  These messages cannot be accidentally deleted unless someone goes through the process of un-locking them.  Please develop this feature for in game messages so someone can confidently click the "select all" box and delete system messages they no longer need (whether read or unread) without the fear of deleting something important in the process. 

Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

add a "Human messages only" category.
Wow, that pretty racist...  fine then, I would like the opposite.  I would like a feature to filter out "Dwarf messeges" while still allowing Elf and Orc messages through.

(That last one is a joke and HM is being quoted out of context...Please don't take it serious - and if you are a Dwarf, please don't attack.)  (^_^)

-------------
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Posted By: TSGH-RJS
Date Posted: 14 Mar 2012 at 11:45
  Not sure if this has been mentioned but a notes option where you could write/ save/ edit notes on individual players/ locations would be great.

Posted By: Rorgash
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2012 at 12:43
+1 good thing, has been bothering me quite abit

Posted By: taos3
Date Posted: 04 May 2012 at 12:54
Maybe instead of building all this stuff in Illy itself. You should implement a commercial mail solution. Restricting it to illy players only.  

Otherwise this all seems a bit like chopping down the elm tree.

T3

Posted By: Rorgash
Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 01:14
Delete button on top of mail screen again, please im using a mini-pc right now and its a pain scrolling down every time i want to delete a van returning.

Date Posted: 13 May 2012 at 02:06
Yes, it is a pain, which is exactly why Butler moves it.

-------------
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule

Posted By: Abraxox
Date Posted: 17 May 2012 at 15:56
It would be helpful if a single message could be sent to multiple players at one time. Not to an entire alliance, mind you, but having the option to send something to more than just a single player at a time would be helpful.

Organization is the biggest headache for the current mail system. I would suggest that the many, many system messages we receive be directed exclusively into their own folder and not be intermixed with "general" mail from other players. This would increase the usefulness of the "select all" button when trying to eliminate groups of system messages. With the messages mixed as they are, it is extremely rare that one can actually use the "select all" feature due to the intermixing of messages that one wants to keep.

Enlarging the checkboxes in the mailbox, or making them sensitive to proximity clicks, would reduce the need for such tedious precision when clicking, which slows down the process of working with multiple messages.

When opening and reading a message on any page other than page 1, the mailbox resets you back to page 1 when you close the message. It would be convenient to be able to remain in the page you are working in instead of being booted back to page 1 after every closure.

System messages concerning resource harvesting could include the city of origin in the subject line. If this issue were addressed, I would suggest rephrasing the subject line so as to present the information with more efficiency rather than having it just grow longer. Example: current message reads: Caravans begin gathering at square -589|492. To amend this, I would suggest: Clarion caravans begin gathering @ [-589|492]. (Clarion is the name of one of my towns.)

The ability to delete Sent Messages has already been mentioned, but I would emphasize the importance of that. Being able to archive or move messages into a "save" folder would be very helpful.

Posted By: dunnoob
Date Posted: 18 May 2012 at 08:55
Originally posted by Abraxox Abraxox wrote:

Caravans begin gathering at square -589|492. To amend this, I would suggest: Clarion caravans begin gathering @ [-589|492]. (Clarion is the name of one of my towns.)
I'd hate that, because I often use the existing option to sort all trade mails by subject, and then delete blocks of "replaced", "disappointed", "returning", etc., keeping only fresh "begin gathering" mails for inspection (= will my van get the rest, or should I send another van to this spot => after that decision the "begin gathering" mail can be deleted by the ridiculous exit mail + flag it + scroll down + delete procedure, one of my two pet peeves in Illy.)

Posted By: Rymal
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2012 at 04:40

It would be helpful if a single message could be sent to multiple players at one time. Not to an entire alliance, mind you, but having the option to send something to more than just a single player at a time would be helpful.

Agree +1  +1  +1   Clap

This would reduce the time I spend sending information to people and increase the time I spend playing.  

-------------
The optimist sees the glass to be 1/2 full; the pessimist sees it to be 1/2 empty and the engineer sees that the size of the glass needs to be changed!

Posted By: Rohk
Date Posted: 16 Jul 2012 at 15:09
It would be really great if we could upload pictures into our PMs from our computers or copy and paste pictures in. Right now you can only upload them from URLs but it would be great if we could upload screenshots which would help in resolving some disputes without people having to reveal their email addresses.

-------------
http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/a/p/53810" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Devish
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 22:49

Amen...

Multiple recipients (CC), groups (like alliance leadership only), ability to create at least 1 of our own folders in the mail system, etc. -> these are all features I think everyone wants to see. In general, the alliance and email interfaces are nearly a nightmare if you are actively trying to lead an alliance, and the mail is a general nuisance for just about everyone.

The social tools are so very important in a MMO like this one. While everyone enjoys new features, I would, for one, like to see chat, email, and alliance interface all upgraded significantly based on USER feedback (that means us, the players). I am not much of a forum chatter, but I do read it regularly. I see so many great, and in some cases, just good common sense ideas on the forums. I would think fixing the social tools like mail would be fairly straight forward compared to major game updates.
Nuff said ...

Posted By: Daefis
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 23:11
+many... The CC option for messages would be really useful......

Posted By: abstractdream
Date Posted: 22 Jul 2012 at 17:34
Agree with the CC option. For real!

-------------
Bonfyr Verboo

Posted By: Sisren
Date Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 04:38
I would like CC or pick alliance ranks.

it's all easy peasy, right?

-------------
Illy is different from Physics-
Reactions are rarely Equal, and rarely the opposite of what you'd expect...

Posted By: deorasandeep
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 18:53
Originally posted by fieries fieries wrote:

I think that having folders in the mail area would be very helpful. You would be able to sort threw your mail and keep the ones u need separate so you don't delete on accident

and also cc and bcc button 

Posted By: deorasandeep
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 18:59
why not allow player to link external mail with ingame mail  a copy of each mail to there email account and a way to sync them 

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 14:47
How about some useful info in the actual emails.  I submit this example.  It does not say which square was hit or which city the army came from:

Combat Report

Sent By:System
Received By:KillerPoodle [H?]
Date:24 Mar 2013 14:41
Attackers arrive, unopposed, at this location.

The close quarter hand-to-hand combat required when fighting in a building is a blessing to the well trained spear or swordsman. Cavalry, however, find it extremely hard to fight here.

Spear and swordsmen find that building fighting is their place to shine. An intimate knowledge of the choke points in a building also somehwat benefits defending bowmen despite their limited arcs of fire. Cavalry detest fighting in and around buildings.

Attackers: Unit: Quantity: Casualties: Survivors:
Commander: XXXX
Knights Knight 1 Damaged for 0, 900 health remains.
Troops: Knights Knights 30000 0 30000

Defenders: Unit: Quantity: Casualties: Survivors:

Edit: Yes - I'm aware it's in the XML.

-------------
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill

Posted By: Brandmeister
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2013 at 20:34
+1 Poodle

An [X|Y] link to the square would make it much easier to scout the hides and animal parts, and dispatch appropriate harvesters. It's not a big deal on the PC, but this would make hunting way easier on my iPad.

On a related note, the orange victory notification should have the dispatching city, the army name, the result, the opponent and the square.

Posted By: Tor-Coln
Date Posted: 27 May 2013 at 16:28
Originally posted by Devish Devish wrote:

Amen...

Multiple recipients (CC), groups (like alliance leadership only), ability to create at least 1 of our own folders in the mail system, etc. -> these are all features I think everyone wants to see. In general, the alliance and email interfaces are nearly a nightmare if you are actively trying to lead an alliance, and the mail is a general nuisance for just about everyone.

Myself I shall agree with the two above me in the idea of sending multiple mails outside of the mail alliance button.

Where my idea differ is in this: Knowing how coding could be such a massive pain (especially if you did not set aside a place for the new addition)
I would suggest just a slight modification in the current "Player" box. Specifically, by adding the ability to put a semi colon to separate names to allow input of more than one name.
I am unsure how easy or hard this could be in actuality (you know the saying easier said than done) [note* after, if this is implemented, you might need to add a 's' to "Player" to mark the change in the sending out mail section.]

The reasons I believe this would be a great upgrade are below
Pro:
- Convenience to all players and alliances in sending messages to multiple people
- Saves time in the above
- Most likely easier than setting up another button or folder set options in code.
- Allows alliances to better coordinate regional troops or coordinate regional responses/actions
- avoids needless message clutters [which players within alliances and others would thank you on that one] (not sure if this might use less space than the alliance mail option. you could put a pro here if it does.)

Cons
- Might still be annoying to code
- might still have players requesting the folder option or another button
- (Gm's and game makers can add here if needed)

Anyway, thank you for listening and hope this help a little in the possibility of this becoming implemented.

{Ps. to the Moderators and GM's} I looked through the forum and this seemed to be the best place to put this in. Also based on this forum and the dev list forum, it look like this was not implemeneted.

Posted By: Tamaeon
Date Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 03:12
Folders and/or message tags should be a must in addition to a search feature. The ability to create mailing lists and/or send messages to multiple recipients is a feature which would save many players heaps of time!

-------------
"How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each prayer accepted, and each wish resigned."

Posted By: BaziMUC
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:43
I was just about to post a thread about an archive function and then found this and it's already on the list... great.

You often receive mails with useful information which you need to go back to later. You should be able to move these mails into a special folder.

I guess that's what "archive" means?!

Posted By: Deranzin
Date Posted: 08 May 2014 at 12:57
Originally posted by BaziMUC BaziMUC wrote:

You often receive mails with useful information which you need to go back to later. You should be able to move these mails into a special folder.

Or at least have a search function for mail titles or senders ...

-------------

Just like a "before and after" ad ! ahahahaah :p

Posted By: Venita
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 00:08
Wish List :

Search engine... by name and context  

Folders... where I can specifically drop in certain mail to organize how I LIKE 
that means being able to name my own folders.

Group mail, where I can specify members in a group and not have to forward, forward , forward.
(add a few more to that, we have a few council members)

These items would be greatly beneficial.

thanks
Venita

Posted By: Rascal the Cat
Date Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 00:27
Can I add my support to the idea of being able to organise mails into folders. 

This would make it so much easier to access useful mails without having to search through pages of them! Smile

Posted By: DDL
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 12:25
Originally posted by Venita Venita wrote:

Wish List :

Group mail, where I can specify members in a group and not have to forward, forward , forward.

thanks
Venita

Clap

Posted By: GirlFromHell
Date Posted: 05 May 2015 at 16:56
Trash Mail

A place where deleted mails go to for maybe a day or so until they're deleted forever.

This is so that if someone accidentally deletes something, it can be recovered!

-------------
~Hell_Girl_Rei / -Nyx-

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Posted By: Princess Botchface
Date Posted: 07 Jun 2015 at 16:26
Originally posted by Venita Venita wrote:

Agreed! forwarding ten messages to four or five different people over and over again really gets old fast. 

Or maybe just allowing me to type in multiple recipients or CC and BCC lines. 

Posted By: Turgon of Rhavenia
Date Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 22:25
+1 to the CC/BCC idea.
I think it would also be nice to be able to search you inbox, especially for people storing info it would be a big help
Another idea of mine would be having file folders, I.E. alliance folder, Friend folder, personal folder, and the ability to make your own folder.
Thanks!

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:31
I did create a userscript based tool (part of DurcTools) that allowed you to:
  •  search your mail for messages from:
  • Specific player
  • Member of specific alliance
  • A word appearing in the subject.
  •  send a message to up to 5 recipients without having to retype the message.

Unfortunately it no longer works however I am still thinking about a method of being able to have a simple to implement /use folder system that would hopefully be easy enough for the Devs to implement rather than having to rely on an external tool like mine (you need to be able to run userscripts which certainly rules out most mobile users).

I'm doubtful if I'll be able to get the multi-send part working again (it involved some fairly tricky code that even back then I didn't fully understand) but I may be able to get the search part working again. It will however take some time.

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 14:11
The mail search tool in DurcTools is working again. To get it to know about all your current mails you will need to let it scan each page of your in and sent boxes - just load each page of them one after the other.

Note that if you want to search for all mails to or from an alliance you need to enclose the tag in [].

When searching you can only search for one word at a time. The words you can search for are:
  • The name of the sender
  • The tag of the senders alliance
  • Any single word appearing in the mail subject line.

Clicking on the subject field in the results will open that message.

When you have search results shown you can check the box on the left to select it and then delete it from the database (it doesn't delete it from the game server). If you then scan the page in the in-game mail system that has that message it will be re-entered into the database.

Any problems or comment please post in the DurcTools thread.

Posted By: Tucic
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2023 at 00:39
I do not know if this has been mentioned but can we please do something about people on your blocked list being able to message you to spam/troll?

Unsure if this would be the right thread for that. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net