Print Page | Close Window

Sword dudes

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Strategies, Guides & Help
Forum Name: Strategies, Tips & Tricks
Forum Description: Player created guides and advice.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=1190
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 21:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sword dudes
Posted By: Brids17
Subject: Sword dudes
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 05:30
So it seems as a dwarf, my T2 sword dudes are the best unit (excluding cavalry) however I've noticed they also die the most. Currently my army has 3 divisions, one for spear dudes, one for arrow dudes and one for sword dudes. The last time I sent my army at something 3 spears and 3 bows dies however 5 swords died. The time before that is was 1 spear and bow and 2 sword and the time before that it was 15 spear and bow and 37 sword. Is there a way to reduce their deaths or am I just going to have to deal with their high deal rates?

Replies:
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 05:30
OMG...I need to go to bed...

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 05:31
Wow...ignore this post...

Posted By: Torn Sky
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 11:33
losses are decided by %s so if you have a larger number of swords you will always lose more

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 18:46
Wow...that's pretty lame...I guess I need to make more spear dudes. 

Posted By: bartimeus
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 18:56
Brids17, your reasonning is wrong; adding more spear will only make you have more spear casualty, not lower sword casualty (unless you take into account that the overall aditionnal force will make you get less overall casualty).
The game doesn't alloy you to put some units in the front line to protect other type of units.

-------------
Bartimeus, your very best friend.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 20:51
So...no matter what I do I'll lose large numbers of sword dudes? =\

Posted By: Noryasha Grunk
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 21:50
No. Vot hyu should do is spread dem out equally over five commanders. Since losses are rounded down, hyu lose a lot less troops dat vay.

And ultimately, remove all sword dudes from harmy. Den hyu lose no more sword dudes!

Posted By: KHall
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 07:53
"And ultimately, remove all sword dudes from harmy. Den hyu lose no more sword dudes!"

Best one liner I have read in the forum yet. Gotta love this one. Thumbs UpLOL

Posted By: Axefist
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 16:36
I am new and I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing you should factor the total amount of losses, not the losses taken by one troop type, as to how successful your battle was. What I'm saying is, if you have more sword guys, and more of them get killed because you have more of them, that might not be a bad thing. If you used a majority of a less favorable troop type, a higher percentage of those would then die, but overall your total number of casualties would likely be higher as well. Something to consider.

Posted By: The_Dude
Date Posted: 30 Nov 2010 at 19:06
B17,

I no longer put Spears or Bows into my offensive armies.   I use Spears and Bows exclusively for defensive missions - city defense, siege support.

I use T2 Swords as my primary offensive army to kill NPCs.  I will often assign a Spear or Bow Commander to lead the Sword Army so that the defensive Commander can earn XP and level up.

edit: Also, as to number of losses...It appears to me that the hard number of units lost by the attacker is unrelated to the number of units in the attacking army.  If the defender will kill 25 units, it will kill 25 units from a 50 unit attacking army just as it will kill 25 units from a 500 unit attacking army.  So adding more offensive units does not reduce the number casualties suffered by the attacking army.  Hence, my decision to not put defensive units in my offensive armies.

As to managing replacements - Your choke point is your Blacksmith.   I have upped my Blacksmith to increase production rates.  Also, calculate the balance between Sword production and Chainmail production to ensure that you will have 2 Swords for each Chainmail produced.  Now calculate how many Stalwarts your economy can produce daily.  Now you know your daily loss limit to maintain a static army size.  I use a loose rule-of-thumb that I will loose a number of Stalwarts = to 50% of the defending NPC army - often the rate is better than that - depending on the NPC composition.

So with these ideas, you should be able to manage your losses so that you can continue to run missions and also grow your armies.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net