Print Page | Close Window

Cotters in Sovereignty

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Suggestions & Game Enhancements
Forum Description: Got a great idea? A feature you'd like to see? Share it here!
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10632
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 20:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Cotters in Sovereignty
Posted By: Emerson
Subject: Cotters in Sovereignty
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 06:06
I would like to see a Cotter-type unit in the Sovereignty research. As cities get larger, Cotters get crowded out, making harvesting of herbs, grapes, minerals and hides difficult to impossible once you get to all the buildings you need to grow population.

Traditionally, Cotters never lived inside the city walls, anyway. They resided in the surrounding countryside, scrabbling for a living. I propose creating an advanced Cotter using Sovereignty.  Call them Homesteaders or something else along that line.

You can name the levels Founder, Colonist, Developer, Trailblazer and Explorer or something along those lines. Each level allows you to add another “Homesteader” to the sov square, for a maximum of 5. There should be an hourly cost for each “Homesteader” which would make it imperative that they are continually out gathering resources instead of just sitting around. One of the creation resources should be a horse since they should be mounted, being advanced, and have a higher speed than regular Cotters.

The “Homesteaders” still harvest only what regular Cotters harvest, they just do it faster, they cost hourly resources and they don’t take up a building inside the wall. Also, they should be part of the Marketplace to track movements and as a way to send them out to harvest resources. That way their harvesting adds into the city inventory when they return.

How does this idea sound to everyone?

Replies:
Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 08:09
I like this idea a lot.
It is very frustrating not being able to have cotters in a fully developed city.

It just sounds like a lot to have 5 homesteaders available to build per sov level 5 square. This way you could have 40 cotters just by using the 8x8 squares around your town and getting to level 5 sov.

One per sov. Then when the sov is level 5 you can build another, making it max 2 homesteaders per level 5 sov.
Theres also the opportunity to even add another building that makes it so you can have double the amount of cotters in your town. And make it a 1400ish pop building.

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: Emerson
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 07:05
I can live with that. But what do you get for levels 2,3 & 4 sov? Extra speed? Extra gathering quantity? That extra sov is going to cost more in hourly resources, so you have got to make it worth it to upgrade the sov. It's already a pain having to send out an army and reclaim a square for each level above sov 1. The players need something for those levels between 1 and 5. Other than that, I like your thinking. 5 Homesteaders per square could be a lot.

Posted By: rajput
Date Posted: 14 May 2019 at 17:00
Clap Thumbs Up

I like the way this idea sounds... 

#CotterRevolution

-------------

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...

Posted By: Wartow
Date Posted: 15 May 2019 at 14:22
The idea is novel.  

I'd follow the route of one cotter per sov square with higher levels increasing some attribute such as travel speed, gathering speed, and/or carrying capacity.  Level 1 would give you the ability to recruit a cotter and each additional level grants a 5%-10% bonus to one or more of the attributes listed above.

Would this sov consume any resources?  There is always the gold and research hit with sov but what about hourly upkeep of basic resources?  Would this bonus consume food?  That would put a damper on Cottervilles taking over the map.  

Now... how about a similar idea for caravans?

-------------

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 13:50
Cotter Trade type research to increase the number of cotters supported by one cottage - like guilds research works right now.

Posted By: Wartow
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 16:10
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

Cotter Trade type research to increase the number of cotters supported by one cottage - like guilds research works right now.

I thought about this idea too... Would cottages need more than a single level?  Would maxed out cottages provide more population?  An interesting aspect of the sov proposal is that it may remove the need to keep cottages for those players looking for more population and a higher number of cities.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 20:16
@wartow
Cottages would need 20 levels like any building. They would effectively become guilds in all other ways.
The advantage of tweaking the building and research is that the code already exists. Cotters simply become like herbalists, miners and skinners.

Posted By: Mr. Ubiquitous Feral
Date Posted: 16 May 2019 at 22:23
Remove the cottages from the city into the sov for more pop in town. Make it good enough that you only need 1 sov spot to do it. Each level of sov gives double cotters. Start with 1 and you'll have 16 cotters at L5 sov. Seriously, how many cotters does 1 town need?

-------------
I am a Machine.

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 01:15
Given how useful cotters are for a new player to build up gold precisely because the large cities can't fit them, I'm not sure it'd exactly be a good thing to make them available via sov.

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Posted By: #buybytheLB
Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 02:17
Agreed, also,

Hey Eeowan!!!

Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 08:07
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Given how useful cotters are for a new player to build up gold precisely because the large cities can't fit them, I'm not sure it'd exactly be a good thing to make them available via sov.

What new players?

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 16:16
#RewardTheVets

Okay there are some new players. Still I think this idea is good and please dont put it down E. :))

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 20:07
Originally posted by DeliciousJosh DeliciousJosh wrote:

#RewardTheVets

Okay there are some new players. Still I think this idea is good and please dont put it down E. :))

10 new accounts created in the last 24hrs.

Date Posted: 20 May 2019 at 20:48
Keyword accounts

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 21 May 2019 at 13:54
I just keep an eye on the number of non zero accounts every year...
Niesewand put his own money in last year as the July 2018 accounts show an increase in directors loans.

Posted By: Doophusson
Date Posted: 26 May 2019 at 16:28
Since I last played a couple of years ago it is interesting to look at how the prices of some items at Centrum have changed.

Cows, books, grapes, saddles and wine are all a lot cheaper - presumably because established players don't need any more traders and there isn't enough war to absorb the production of cows.

Generic minerals and herbs have gone up in price - presumably because there are fewer new players, or fewer players with growing cities with empty slots for cotters.

If this change was made the net result would be a collapse in the price for these items in trade. Maybe the status quo is better, in that it forces players to choose, rather than enabling them to have everything, and then they have to trade for the things that they don't have.

If there were to be any change it might be better to beef up thieving so that people could steal the more advanced resources that they no longer had cotters to gather, or perhaps armies that killed cotters could loot the herbs/minerals that they had gathered thus far.

Posted By: Sif
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2021 at 10:35
Total agree with eowan. Cotters sould be for smal.
But a sov about auto harvest is something i would like. So the city that has autoharvest sov Don t have to send but they auto send. 

Posted By: Isaac FireGlade
Date Posted: 24 Oct 2021 at 19:59
i agree with this idea as well, maybe even they can auto gather when items appear on sov tiles

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net