Forum Description: For everything related to the Broken Lands Continent
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10575
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:41
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: IRON/RUM vs TCol/VAST War Stats
Posted By: Mafro
Subject: IRON/RUM vs TCol/VAST War Stats
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 00:39
So, those that know me know that I like stats...those unambiguous, immutable details that are just one step beneath "damn lies".

For those that also like stats, here's a spreadsheet tracking basic stats of the IRON/RUM vs. TCol/VAST war. I'll update it...intermittently...more frequently if people respond with interest to this post, less frequently or not at all if that doesn't happen.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16CSwzEe1wmjRlD2bvMgzm3Z4nc13TkR0fBXUWX74fWw/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - IRON/RUM vs. TCol/VAST War Stats

Quick rundown of how the spreadsheet works:
  • The Baseline tab holds the first data set that I captured, from 12/26/2018
  • The Current tab holds the latest data set that I captured, dated on the sheet
  • The Numeric Delta tab is the numeric difference between these two data sets
  • The Percent Delta tab is the percent difference between these two data sets
  • The Archive tabs hold previous data sets that I've captured, in case folks want to see what happened along the way

And here's my quick read of the past 4 days:
IRON: Up 2 towns and 10k pop
RUM: Down 6k pop

TCol: Up 1 member, 10 towns, and 50k pop
VAST: Down 4 towns and 35k pop

As always, if those that know what's driving these stat changes share their insights, that'd be cool.

Yours,

Mafro

Replies:
Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 08:03
Ask and you will receive :) 

I haven't been all that active recently but here's my understanding of events so far:
The reason for the drop in stats in VAST is primarily due to us moving non-combatants out after the siege of Aileas. 
For those who do not know, Aileas was a semi-inactive three town player. She now has two towns because Runelord in his infinite wisdom decided a three town player with no military to speak of was a valid target in war so razed her largest town (Aileas had several suspicious persons reports around the time so they were aware of her lack of military capability). 
Perhaps if either her or her sitter had been able to be active on illy we would have been able to break this siege however, both of them currently face significant real life difficulties which are preventing them from logging on and the town was not in our cluster.
He would have razed a second of her towns but certain members of Yarr! spoke out against this. 

Purple Smurf also launched an attack on Jenny the Unready, at the time this was a one town, unaligned account that happened to be the alt of Jenny the Rogue who is a member of VAST. 
Jenny the Unready has since moved to KnOW and in light of the attacks against accounts that would have been in the past considered off limits by any player with an ounce of moral fibre in their body, we have advised those who wish to be non-combatants to leave VAST for the duration of the war. 

I object to the entering of TCol into the same team as VAST as we are completely separate entities. In fact, both Twisted Fate and I asked Grombrindal to offer peace to RUM after his declaration as we would rather fight RUM on our own and have continued to ask him to. 
However, citing the continued involvement of Iron in the conflict, TCol have continued to pursue war with RUM and have apparently razed three RUM towns. Yay to them. But if they could move along and fight their own wars separately from ours, that would be great. 
With regards to the Iron involvement, this originally came from Hellie's accounts in Iron (sats, and the sats of her daughter etc) but after the declaration of war by TCol and the razings, they have moved to a more general state of mobilisation. 

Iron stepping in led to RUM's first siege on a VAST account with any sort of military in it and they are currently in the process of losing a fair few troops as a result.

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Posted By: Grom
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 12:41
I also object to Tcol and Vast being combined. We stepped in hoping that it would return this conflict to a fair fight between two medium alliances. I.e. hoping to pursuade Rum to be sporting and play without Iron support. We do not, however, have any formal ties with Vast, and no real issue with Rum outside of the one mentioned above (aside from a single war runner from another war).

On a sidenote, just like last time we had these kind of stats, I would like to point out that member and city count in large alliance shifts a lot regardless of there being a war or not. Meaning these stats will never give a clear view of war effects. For that you would need to collect battle reports.

Date Posted: 31 Dec 2018 at 20:51
Updated stats:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16CSwzEe1wmjRlD2bvMgzm3Z4nc13TkR0fBXUWX74fWw/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - IRON/RUM vs. TCol/VAST War Stats

My quick read...over the last day...:
IRON has gained 10k pop
RUM has gained 4k pop

TCol has lost 1 member, 8 towns, and 50k pop
VAST has lost 1 town, pop unchanged

One other area I find interesting: RUM's Def score has increased by 73% in the past 5 days, while VAST's Atk and Def scores have increased 23% and 22% respectively. This is a total gain of about 480k points (Atk + Def) by VAST and 150k points by RUM.

My guess is this is the result of Runelord's attempts to siege GoldenLion, sieges which have either been broken or withdrawn, but which have cost GoldenLion nearly half his population (~55k down to ~30k), which is roughly 5% of VAST's total population.

Obviously, I can't say what percent of RUM's military has been destroyed to achieve this population drop, whether the drop is meaningful (i.e. res + prestige = pop), and whether or not taking this level of losses is sustainable.... Dead

Have there been any specific goals stated by either side (e.g. to push one group out of a given area)? If so, it would be interesting to see which of those goals are being accomplished.

In response to Eowan and Grom...

The grouping of alliances into sides is mainly for convenience and to show "the big picture". It isn't intended as a commentary on how closely two groups that share the same enemies are coordinating.

If another alliance ends up going to war with all (or even most) members of a given side, then I'll probably start tracking their stats too as part of the opposite side.

If a combatant makes peace with all (or even most) members of the opposing side, then I'll probably stop tracking their stats.

Of course, if others care to present the picture in a different way, my posts in no way prevent that. Wink

Date Posted: 01 Jan 2019 at 22:55
Updated stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16CSwzEe1wmjRlD2bvMgzm3Z4nc13TkR0fBXUWX74fWw/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - IRON/RUM vs. TCol/VAST War Stats

My quick read over the past day:
IRON has gained 1 town and 8k pop
RUM has gained 1 town and 4k pop

TCol has gained 1 town and 8k pop
VAST has gained 1 town and 3k pop

No change in Def scores over the past day, which suggests a lapse in armed contact between the two sides.

Furthermore, I received the following message from Mes-kalam-dug, which I assume is meant to be shared:

Hello Mafro,

I have noticed you are summarizing proceedings in some of our Wars.

And for your information I can add the fiollowing facts to this:

I have a couple of RUM cities razed before 26.12. Unfortunately I have mostly deleted reports of those. But I will forward what data i have available. 2 Cities of Dak and 1 of Optimus Prime razed. 1 City of Dak has been forced to exo. I think that has been Dak's capital as it did contain elementals.

I have sent what "proof" I still have. Those where I have been ready to raze have been razed, but I don't have those reports anymore.

LG Mes

If anyone else cares to share, feel free to post directly to this thread. I don't mind passing through reports, but I probably don't add much value to the information by doing so. Tongue

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2019 at 20:39
Updated stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16CSwzEe1wmjRlD2bvMgzm3Z4nc13TkR0fBXUWX74fWw/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - IRON/RUM vs. TCol/VAST War Stats

My quick read over the past day:
IRON has no change, except a 32k increase in Def score
RUM has lost 1 town and 5k pop

TCol has lost 1 town yet gained 5k pop
VAST has lost 1 member, 2 towns, and 7k pop

In looking back at the alliance growth charts, it appears that VAST had roughly 2.1MM pop on Dec 10th, the day RUM declared on them, and they are now down to 560k. That's a numeric drop of 1.5MM pop and a percent drop of 73%. Membership has gone from about 35 to 19.

Looking at the same metric for RUM, they had about 3.4MM pop on Dec 10th and have dropped to about 2.8MM. That's a numeric drop of 600k pop and a percent drop of 18%. Membership has gone from just over 20 members to 16.

Date Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 19:47

My quick read over the past two days:
IRON has added a town and lost 1k pop, and has gained 32k Def
RUM has added two towns and 10k pop

TCol has lost 17 towns and 420k pop, and gained 800k Def
VAST has lost 4 members, 5 towns, and and 13k pop

Either TCol has traded one or more high-pop, high-town members for low-pop, low-town members, had some towns razed, or there's a migration happening...or something.

Regarding TCol's jump in Def score, I saw a report of a successful defense of Thranduril's town of Shiva against 160k knights...that'd probably do it.

Date Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 23:42

IRON has gained 2 towns and 28k pop
RUM has gained 7k pop

TCol has lost 1 member, 7 towns, and 110k pop
VAST has lost 1 town and gained 5k Def

Posted By: Jug
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 18:32
Awesome i like reading these 👍

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2019 at 21:09
Originally posted by Mafro Mafro wrote:

<span style=": rgb255, 248, 229;">My quick read over the past two days:</span>
<span style=": rgb255, 248, 229;">IRON has gained 2 towns and 28k pop</span>
<span style=": rgb255, 248, 229;">RUM has gained 7k pop</span>
<span style=": rgb255, 248, 229;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb255, 248, 229;">TCol has lost 1 member, 7 towns, and 110k pop</span>
<span style=": rgb255, 248, 229;">VAST has lost 1 town and gained 5k Def</span>

As mentioned before, these stats have nothing to do with war effects. We have around 80 members, and sometimes one or two drop. Either temporary or permanent (in this case I think 2 ex-sin accounts that wish to remain in the BL dropped). Tcol isn't actively targetting, nor is it targetted by, either of these alliances. The defense spike was an Aesir direct attack hitting our defenses.

Date Posted: 09 Jan 2019 at 06:22

IRON has gained 6k pop
RUM has gained 1 member, 20 towns, and 300k pop

TCol has lost 2 members, 22 towns, and 250k pop
VAST has gained 1 town and lost 17k pop

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 03:40

My quick read over the past three days:
IRON has lost 2 towns and 2k pop, and gained 100k Def
RUM has gained 7k pop and 14k Def

TCol has gained 2 members, 12 towns, 160k pop, and 57k Def
VAST has lost 11k pop and gained 28k Def

Posted By: KarL Aegis
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 20:50
That bump in defense score is from The Pirate Horde [YARR!] joining in the conflict on the side of The Minion Empire [TCol]. Again.

Do note Iron Crusade [Iron] has never had the ticker [IRON].

-------------
I am not amused.

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 21:12
Not our fault that Iron collected a bunch of accounts it cannot control and who end up making it new enemies. But hey, we won't complain. Well done

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 03:39
I guess you're happy Iron and Yarr are at war yes? Iron is thats for sure..

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 11:55
They always are. Right until they realize things aren't going their way and they collectively rage quit or get themselves banned again.

Posted By: Dessembrae
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 12:19
And whats wrong with either getting banned or rage quitting? We have more fun in 5 minutes gaming our way than you do in your whole existence bean counting!!!

-------------
AKA Agalloch The Rude

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 13:19
Originally posted by Dessembrae Dessembrae wrote:

And whats wrong with either getting banned or rage quitting? We have more fun in 5 minutes gaming our way than you do in your whole existence bean counting!!!

All without doing a single damn thing. Well, enjoy your 5 minutes of posturing and get on with it. Next time you restart, maybe try not painting yourself into a corner.

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 17:35
Updated stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16CSwzEe1wmjRlD2bvMgzm3Z4nc13TkR0fBXUWX74fWw/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - Iron/RUM vs. TCol/VAST War Stats

Iron has gained 1 member, 9 towns, and 160k pop
RUM has gained 3k pop and 1k Def

TCol has lost 7 towns and 105k pop, and gained 57k Def
VAST has lost 5k pop

With war breaking out between Iron and YARR!, if there's hostilities between RUM and YARR! then I'll probably add YARR! to this sheet. Regardless, I took a snapshot of YARR!'s stats at the time war was declared and may post war stat changes over time, if they are interesting and/or if players request it.

There's a joke in there somewhere about YARR! consuming RUM...or maybe it's RUM pissing in their YARR!...I dunno...I'm a bit too groggy for it right now...lol.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 02:38
Updated stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16CSwzEe1wmjRlD2bvMgzm3Z4nc13TkR0fBXUWX74fWw/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - Iron/RUM vs. TCol/VAST War Stats

Iron has gained 2 towns, 23k pop, and 23k Def
RUM has lost 2 towns and 39k pop, and gained 10k Def

TCol has lost 1 member, 10 towns, and 120k pop, and gained 14k Def
VAST has lost 9k pop and gained 2k Def

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 06:51

Iron has had no change
RUM has had no change

TCol has gained 3 members, 21 towns, 200k pop, and 87k Def
VAST has lost 1 town and 1k pop

Posted By: Solanar
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 07:04
YARR! and RUM are not and will not be at war. 

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2019 at 23:49
Updated stats:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16CSwzEe1wmjRlD2bvMgzm3Z4nc13TkR0fBXUWX74fWw/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - Iron/RUM vs. TCol/VAST War Stats

Iron has lost 1 member, 2 towns, 4k pop, and gained 57k Def
RUM has gained 1 town and 16k pop

TCol has lost 5 towns and 168k pop
VAST has lost 1 member and 1 town, and gained 1k pop and 40k Def

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 18:16
I think the Yarr and Iron war is already more interesting. Then the Tcol and Iron war

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2019 at 18:51
Originally posted by Jug Jug wrote:

I think the Yarr and Iron war is already more interesting. Then the Tcol and Iron war

Whatever could have caused that?

Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 01:39

My quick read over the past four days:
Iron has gained 2 towns, 19k pop, and 44k def
RUM has gained 1 member, 2 towns, 13k pop, and 75k def

TCol has gained 2 members, 12 towns, 203k pop, and 61k def
VAST has lost 4k pop and gained 140k def

Also, this is the 30-day anniversary of when I began tracking stats for this conflict. Here are the changes to the two sides over that month:
Iron has gained 15 towns, 283k pop, and 381k def
RUM has gained 2 members, 23 towns, 324k pop, and 225k def

TCol has gained 3 members, lost 21 towns, lost 603k pop, and gained 1,250k def
VAST has lost 6 members, 13 towns, 113k pop, and gained 365k def

Posted By: Jamie
Date Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 14:34
Can't wait to see the RUM stats on the next one

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 02:05

My quick read over the past five days:
Iron has lost 2 members, 8 towns, 52k pop, and gained 41k def
RUM has gained 3 members, 13 towns, 180k pop, and 80k def

TCol has lost 1 member, 16 towns, 81k pop, and gained 5k def
VAST has lost 1 town, 10k pop, and gained 6k def

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 17:43

A moment of silence for our fallen brothers

Posted By: Solanar
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 03:04
Sorry to see Jack/Storm leave. 

Posted By: Snagglepuss
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 12:10
losing towns and players?? who is writing this meaningless drivel?? Players drop to cap cities and visit other alliances? Thanks for getting me to waste 3 mins of my day I will never get back

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 17:15
Originally posted by Snagglepuss Snagglepuss wrote:

losing towns and players?? who is writing this meaningless drivel?? Players drop to cap cities and visit other alliances? Thanks for getting me to waste 3 mins of my day I will never get back

Me. Mafro. I'm writing this meaningless drivel. I would've thought the whole "Posted by..." thingy on the forum would've clued you in to that.

Wait...meaningless? How DARE you call my drivel meaningless! MY drivel consists of various statistics of questionable utility posted at random times - AND LACKING CONTEXT, no less! As such it keeps true to the most ancient of Internet traditions!

I suggest that YOU, Snagglepuss - if that's your REAL name - write your OWN drivel containing more meaning and leave my drivel alone.

Oh...wait...you just did. Dammit, pwned again.

Drivel.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 18:48
I think the problem here is that you present these stats as war related, while (with the exception of one direct hit by Aesir, who aren't even mentioned), not a single mutation you recorded has anything to do with the war. Its misleading.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 19:29
I present these stats as related to participants in a given war. They are the best way that I know to track the strengths of those participants over long periods of time with publicly available data. It assumes that the members, towns, and populations of an alliance generally correlate to the strength of that alliance.

It is clearly imperfect, in particular lacking troop strengths (as well as stores of gold and prestige). But, again, I don't know of a better way for those outside the conflict to have a sense of relative strengths and whose strength is waxing or waning. If you know of a better way, I'm certainly open to it.

Now, nowhere have I ever suggested that the changes in these stats are the result of direct action on the part of an enemy. That data is either private, hidden in battle reports, or disconnected, on the Attack and Defense Stats pages. The Siege Stats page gives us some idea of individual conflicts currently underway, but nowhere that I know of is there a way to see the results of those sieges or the broader, strategic picture.

All that said, intermittently capturing these basic stats and sharing them is my way of contributing in a small way to an understanding of what is happening in the game. Given the number of views these threads get, and the occasional comments, it seems other folk find them interesting or useful as well.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 20:49
I'm reluctant to say that the best war reporting to date has been Eowan's, relying on raze and battle reports provided by the parties at war. Illy warfare is just not something that can be reflected by publicly available data/metrics.

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 23:07
People always bitch about something Mafro. Keep on publishing data, I find it interesting.

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 01:50

Here's my quick read of the past 5 days:
Iron has gained 1 member, 6 towns, 54k pop, and 115k def
RUM has lost 6 members, 24 towns, 141k pop, and gained 2k def

TCol has lost 3 members, 18 towns, 408k pop, and gained 34k def
VAST has gained 1 town, 9k pop, and 6k def

Posted By: OssianII
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 11:15
Originally posted by Mafro Mafro wrote:

Here's my quick read of the past 5 days:
Iron has gained 1 member, 6 towns, 54k pop, and 115k def
RUM has lost 6 members, 24 towns, 141k pop, and gained 2k def

TCol has lost 3 members, 18 towns, 408k pop, and gained 34k def
VAST has gained 1 town, 9k pop, and 6k def

Sir

In my humble but entirely unbiased opinion , never in the field of Illyriad war reportage have I witnessed such inspired and completely objective reportage. You Sir, are an unrivalled genius.

OssianII 
Chief Reckoner to Clan Moedagh (ret'd)

-------------
“If anyone was to ask for my opinion, which I note they’re not, I’d say we were taking the long way around.”
Gimli son of Gloin.

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 18:42
On Sunday the 10th of February, at 18:21, peace broke out between the warriors of RUM and VAST, ending their conflict. Here are the final war stats...the changes that took place between those two forces during the war: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16CSwzEe1wmjRlD2bvMgzm3Z4nc13TkR0fBXUWX74fWw/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - Iron/RUM vs. TCol/VAST War Stats .

After 46 days of conflict between the two initial combatants...:
RUM gained 3 towns, 110k pop, 519k atk, 92k diplo, 318k def, and 57MM magic
VAST lost 5 members, 9 towns, 111k pop, and gained 1,071k atk, 28k diplo, 444k def, and 74MM magic

As Iron and TCol may have played some role in the war, I will be including their stats here as well, but will not be continuing to track any of the participants going forward because, frankly, it's boring.

Meanwhile, over those same 46 days...:
Iron lost 2 members, gained 7 towns, 288k pop, 4MM atk, 301k diplo, 580k def, and 78MM magic
TCol gained 1 member, lost 47 towns, 1,060k pop, and gained 3.4MM atk, 225k diplo, 1,577k def, and 280MM magic

If anyone cares to post the terms under which peace was agreed upon, it would add to the history and lore of Illy.

Cheers!

Mafro

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 04:22
It was a simple peace treaty, neither side gained nor lost anything

Posted By: spektor
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 04:30
I gained some lawlz

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net