Print Page | Close Window

Chasing war runners the WRONG way

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: The Caravanserai
Forum Description: A place to just chat about whatever takes your fancy, whether it's about Illyriad or not.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10520
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 14:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Chasing war runners the WRONG way
Posted By: Queen Bikini
Subject: Chasing war runners the WRONG way
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 00:52
Greetings. I do not usually post in the forums, but something is bothering me. Chasing "war runners". This strategy was a typical war alliance policy to keep players from leaving alliances at war after they were actively engaged in hostilities. Players would always try to run from trouble when the tides turned and their alliance started loosing the war. It has evolved since that basic idea into something different with many different triggers. Today it is being done merely for spite!

Today, chasing "war runners" is part the game, but only in some circumstances. Illy is contracting. It is smaller and less active then at any point before. But a big birth is right around the corner in the form of new updates. Currently we have Laga from mcrow chasing Josh and who knows who else. He has attacked Yarr!, Tcol and all AFTER wars were ended. Forced to end if you will. Mcrow itself has accepted the peace and much deservedly so, but not Laga. This player chases after players out of stubborness. There are not enough players, full alliances, active wars, or activity to justify this old strategy as Laga is using it. His alliance, mcrow is not chasing war runners, he is. mcrow wants peace. He does not. Why let a player split your alliance over being stubborn? 

Laga is turning into the exact same thing he himself hates. He is turning into a Stukahh time period SIN member. Yep. All his recent activity is nothing but what the war alliances used to do. The mcrow SIN war is over and it did not end like a typical War. It was forced to end. And that should have been the end of it, but nope. One player, out of an entire alliance is dragging them back into conflict and causing rifts in an alliance that only wanted peace. There is no talking with this player, there is no reasoning with him. His absolute blind rage and stubborness can not see that his approach to chasing war ruuners does not apply anymore to that war. It is over. Let it be. Move on and be happy. 

A conventional war, with lots of players could employ such tactics, but with the end of that war, today's Illy does not need it. Not blindly like is being done now. With updates coming and people coming back, maybe chasing will find a place again. I am sure it will, but not in this case. This case is something different. This case has a player not listening to his alliance, not listening to any reason, but acting on pure spite. Illy does not need this right now.  

Anyway, this is my opinion and not that of anyone else. but it has bothered me so much I had to speak up. What has happened to a player many looked up to and had much fun with? He has turned into the very thing he hated most. If you did not like that style of play then why are you using it? 

QB

Replies:
Posted By: Trader Tiro!
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 01:17
What's the saying....You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain...maybe so here QB >_<

Posted By: Bill_Cipher
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 05:09
I see it as fair

-------------
Let fate chase you not me

Posted By: Grom
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 10:08
I see it as something that could massively hurt mCrow because their leader puts his personal grudges above the will, and best interest, of his members.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 15:08
Grudges?

Your just scared to be on the other side aren't you?

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 16:26
Originally posted by Bill_Cipher Bill_Cipher wrote:

Grudges?

Your just scared to be on the other side aren't you?

You could say that. Never fun to be confronted with a suiciding leadership account. If he drags mCrow down with him, we can all guess who you trolls will blame for it.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 20:22
Stop with the bullsh it...then again that's all you ever say so why don't you just shut up in general?

They are just doing what SIN has done... How is that now fair?

-------------

Posted By: King Sigerius
Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 20:41
Quit crying QB, the people he is perusing have been doing the same thing for years.  Now that you are on the other end it sounds like you don't like it.  I know many many people driven out of the game by sin and now it's all of a sudden too small of a game to fight? Now it's time to end a policy that if sin remained an alliance would of remained a policy? Lol too funny.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 21:20
I don't think the policy itself is the issue. Nothing wrong with preventing the enemy from rebuilding troops while hiding in a neutral alliance. The question in this case is why Laga is doing this alone, without the support of his alliance. He is, by himself, antagonizing multiple alliances, who would prefer to remain at peace with mCrow, up to the point that enduring peace is no longer a given.

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 21:31
He is the leader.

I believe he has the right to do as he pleases.

Complaining doesn't really help

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Sep 2018 at 21:40
Originally posted by Bill_Cipher Bill_Cipher wrote:

He is the leader.

I believe he has the right to do as he pleases.

Complaining doesn't really help

It never does. Anyway, just chimed in with my two cents. Of course he can do what he wants, and he'll be fully responsible for it.

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 10:19
Seems pretty hypocritical to complain about this when QB was involved with threatening Ascn players with sieges just because Ascn were doing so well in the tournament.

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Posted By: Lumelthien
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 15:04
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Seems pretty hypocritical to complain about this when QB was involved with threatening Ascn players with sieges just because Ascn were doing so well in the tournament.

No, it's difficult to make that charge stick.

Chasing players down after a war has ended and peace was declared =/= threatening players for their actions before and during and after a tournament.

If QB thinks the first one is low and wrong, but that the second was justified, then she is not being hypocritcal.

You can disagree with her reasoning, but she's not necessarily being a hypocrite.

Posted By: Lagavulin
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 16:49
mCrow is still at war with SIN. Players who left SIN are still at war with us until they make individual peace.  Some have made peace, many have not.  This exactly mirrors SIN's own policy.

Quoted below from SIN's alliance page (same applies to Ex TA2IN and for the same reason)

"Persistant Pursuit Notice

Beginning July 18, players in alliances engaging in hostile military operations against SIN are considered "enemy combatants" and cannot leave their alliance and avoid hostile action during war or other confrontations without first agreeing to individual surrender terms. If SIN has siege operations inbound to an enemy combatant who leaves an allaince at war with SIN, sieges will continue. Absent of formal surrender terms and a peace agreement between SIN and an opposing alliance, all members who attempt to leave the war will be pursued to the fullest extent of SIN's military until or unless individual surrender terms are reached, irrespective of remaining unaffiliated or joining another alliance."

bold added by me.

(Yes.  The misspelling of Persistent is how they posted it on their alliance page.  Get over it.)

(There is much more to all sides of these wars over the last year and a bit.  I have refrained from commenting much about them and think that is still a good policy as it just degenerates into we say/they say. Everyone can safely assume we have answers to the statements against us and do not agree with QBs view or even all her claims of "fact.")

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 18:02
This is such a fun thread. Bottom line is Laga is just lucky SIN got bored and left. They were on the verge of pummelling mCrow into the dust but punching a baby is morally wrong( even one as pathetic as Laga). He is now bitter and actually quite unable to make and headway against Josh anyway so his claim of Chasing War Runners is mute. All he is doing is japping loudly at Josh’s ankles. Now everyone just move along and let the little puppy continue his japping. We actually find him quite cute.

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 19:45
Hey, I'm happy to get some action that is predictable and ongoing.
I did try and reach out to Laga but i didn't get very far running into a wall with the suggestions I had. A donkey comes to mind with stubbornness.

this seems fitting
#GetOverIt

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 07 Sep 2018 at 20:03
Originally posted by Lumelthien Lumelthien wrote:

Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

No, it's difficult to make that charge stick.

Chasing players down after a war has ended and peace was declared =/= threatening players for their actions before and during and after a tournament.

If QB thinks the first one is low and wrong, but that the second was justified, then she is not being hypocritcal.

You can disagree with her reasoning, but she's not necessarily being a hypocrite.

There are not enough players, full alliances, active wars, or activity to justify this old strategy as Laga is using it
^^ From QB's post.

So, according to her, when her guys get attacked, there aren't enough players etc in the game to justify it so it should be stopped.

But this ignores the fact that just a few months ago, she thought there were just plenty of players when threatening to siege Ascn players because they did well in a tournament?

That seems hypocritical to me...

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Posted By: Dessembrae
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 05:33
Blah blah blah 

-------------
AKA Agalloch The Rude

Posted By: Angrim
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 22:31
it really does seem like this thread should be entitled Chasing war runners the OTHER way. it feels like the "illy doesn't have enough players to..." argument has been used in every conflict, and it's never had any traction with anyone doing anything they'd already decided to do.

illy has been in decline since...2012? the idea that any action Lagavulin might take at this late date should be blamed for negatively affecting the player base in a significant way seems difficult to sustain. the better argument would be whether or not this policy of chasing war runners is achieving its goals. if it's happening in every conflict in spite of years of standard practice, one might question its effectiveness as a deterrent...and one might conclude that it has been motivated by spite for most of its existence as a policy.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 16:19
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

the better argument would be whether or not this policy of chasing war runners is achieving its goals. if it's happening in every conflict in spite of years of standard practice, one might question its effectiveness as a deterrent...and one might conclude that it has been motivated by spite for most of its existence as a policy.

Not necessarily.

Policies like this one may not be sufficient to eliminate all instances of war-running, but yet they may still reduce those instances to a degree deemed acceptable by the policy enacters.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 16:32
I should add that I don't believe that the "effectiveness" of this policy should be measured by whether or not war-running is eliminated or even reduced.

I believe, rather, that the true goal of this policy was to project intimidation and ruthlesness and power. This in turn had a certain strategic value, and the various debates that arose about this policy became a useful and unintended means of propaganda: the projection was perpetuated and impacted the player base.

Posted By: digiosox
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2018 at 13:57

On the Pursuit Policy from Laga's post "This exactly mirrors SIN's own policy."

That is the part I find confusing -- on one hand Laga and friends complain about how terrible SIN is to have this policy. On the other they carry it out themselves.

If this becomes your policy, how does that make mCrow any different from the warmongering SIN alliance? SIN murderers babies so we are going to murder babies in retaliation until they individually surrender. It is baffling behavior.

However, if you intend to take SINs place in Illy as the warmongering types, then this totally makes sense. If you intend to be "peaceful" what benefit do you get by pursuing the exact same warmonger policy of an alliance with goals you reject?

It would make more sense to me to serve as an example of the ideals you claim to represent...

Posted By: scottfitz
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 17:24
To be like SIN, we would have to attack otherwise peaceful alliances, we are not now nor will ever be that sort of alliance. Any issue we have is with specific individuals who have attacked us without warrant. We are not adopting SIN's policy, we are holding their former members to the policy they imposed against us.

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 18:43
So from this comment I take it your alliance will keep japping at Josh's heels then? If thats the case then I guess we will have to keep doing what we am doing then. We have reached out to Laga to end this but if you persist in this dead-end behavior we will be more than willing to continue. Its what we do. The olive branch has been extended to your alliance numerous times yet each time you guys just use it to fuel the fire. The ball is in your court. You can either end it or keep having incoming at your Newlands cities and watch your Elgean cities burn.

You say you want peace but then also know that until you end your hostilities we will not either. There is no way you guys can even dream of following SIN policy effectively unless we all go inactive, so why not just accept the peace and get on with your peaceful ways?

I for one will cease all hostilities against your alliance as soon as you guys want actual peace. Like Fiona, I have been at war for 4 years now and actually might enjoy the crafting and gathering aspect of the game for a change.

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Posted By: digiosox
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2018 at 20:38
Originally posted by scottfitz scottfitz wrote:

We are not adopting SIN's policy, we are holding their former members to the policy they imposed against us.

The purpose of SIN's pursuit policy was to deal with people start hostilities then run away once things got rough only to continue the conflict at a more advantageous time.

That is the question you face. If you believe the people you intend to pursue are simply biding their time to attack you again, then by all means you should act to achieve your goals -- presumably to prevent their attack.

So I will let you in on a (not) secret. As an alliance SIN has reached its conclusion. The main reason SIN stopped fighting mCrow is because nobody really cared enough to continue. No real hatreds. No scores to settle. No techniques to try. Eventually SIN looked around the room, sighed, and said "screw it, why bother". This lead to more introspection and alliance leadership abdicated out of apathy. Nobody else wanted to take the reigns and poof! the alliance ended.

So right now is a decision point for you. Nobody in SIN really cared enough to continue the fight so you are not under threat. Nobody is waiting for a good time to strike (otherwise they would not have stopped in the first place).

You have your olive branch in hand; will you keep it or burn it?

Posted By: Dessembrae
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 06:49
I hate repeating myself but it seems I ll have to....
blah blah blah

-------------
AKA Agalloch The Rude

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net