Print Page | Close Window

Poaching Kills

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: The Caravanserai
Forum Description: A place to just chat about whatever takes your fancy, whether it's about Illyriad or not.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10505
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 07:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Poaching Kills
Posted By: eowan the short
Subject: Poaching Kills
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 11:42
Hey All,
I've noticed a general trend that people are starting to view harvesting other people's kills as acceptable and that if you want to keep your kill, you should occupy it with an army.

Why is this? Surely the fact that something's been killed means that someone probably wants to harvest said kill. 

I'd also like to know how you all deal with people who attempt to harvest your kills.

Thanks

-E

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Replies:
Posted By: King Sigerius
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 16:09
I have a guy who has slaughtered  100s of thousands of critters and never harvested any of them. In Iron most of us just send troops to kill stuff and whoever wants can harvest it if there is no army on the square. A team effort really, I know I do not have enough skinners for the 7 or so legions Ive killed this week, so  one of my buddys will come take them :) If i see anyone other than Iron on my kill I slaughter them. I do believe in the 10 square rule for non alliance members, though I also believe in the right to break to the rule. 

Posted By: Shimrod
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 16:14
I kill poachers since it's the same thing as sending thieves. Recently I've had an issue with people sending harvesters from over 100 squares away. One sent from over 300 squares. One sent multiple times and then complained that I should just bump him. His argument was it's all fair game since at that distance there's no way to tell how the drop occurred.

So it's not fair game when a drop is close to you, but fair game when it's far away? And since you don't know whose drop it is then it's ok to farm it? People come up with some distorted logic. From my pov these are the very reasons why you should not travel long distances to farm a drop. Especially when you can wait a day and see if someone is harvesting there. If a drop is just sitting around with no one on it, then, yes, I agree that is fair game. But to arbitrarily just send out willy-nilly is asking for problems.

And of course, for those that think anything laying around is fair game, remember that poachers are fair game, too. So if your harvesters end up dead, you have no cause for complaint. You just wasted the trip out, but were saved the trip back.

Posted By: Wartow
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 17:53
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Hey All,
I've noticed a general trend that people are starting to view harvesting other people's kills as acceptable and that if you want to keep your kill, you should occupy it with an army.

Poach boldly!  If someone isn't willing to put an army on it then it isn't important to them.  I tend NOT to kill poachers and I practice what I preach.  If I leave it unprotected then I fully anticipate that someone else will come in and pick it up.  How can it be theft if you won't hold claim to it?  Possession matters.

All that being said... communication is important and I wouldn't put an army on a square to harvest what I didn't kill.  This includes the Underworld forces leaving remains of each other all over the place.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 18:30
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

If someone isn't willing to put an army on it then it isn't important to them.  I tend NOT to kill poachers and I practice what I preach.  If I leave it unprotected then I fully anticipate that someone else will come in and pick it up.  How can it be theft if you won't hold claim to it?  Possession matters.

Many people feel that they have claimed possession the anatomies and hides from a kill by virtue of them making the kill. They don't need to show possession because it is already theirs... 

Additionally, what if someone wants to kill more than 5 npc groups from a single town?

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 19:16

Additionally, what if someone wants to kill more than 5 npc groups from a single town?

This doesn't sound like it is my problem as the poacher.

I'd like to hold all of the trove and brascan seed squares in the game but I'm limited to five commanders per city.  I can hold more by clustering my cities together near by but this is not the problem of other harvesting players in the game to figure out or guess what another player is attempting to achieve.  
  • Occupy first, sov second, five square rule third.  
  • Communicate when making exceptions or to adjust.
  • Be reasonable in your reply.
There are built in limitations (5 commanders, 70 vans, # of harvesters).  We deal with them everyday.  As a community the above bullet point seems to be the most widely accepted norm and has served me well to profit from my efforts (and perhaps the efforts of others).

-------------

Posted By: Llannedd
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 20:42
NPCs can kill each other, so if I see an animal parts icon on the map there is no way of knowing if it was a player kill or an NPC kill. While I don't harvest animal parts that are close (within 5 squares) of a player town, I will freely harvest any others. If you want to identify your kill, park an army on it for a day or two to let others know.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 20:56

This doesn't sound like it is my problem as the poacher.

I'd like to hold all of the trove and brascan seed squares in the game but I'm limited to five commanders per city.  I can hold more by clustering my cities together near by but this is not the problem of other harvesting players in the game to figure out or guess what another player is attempting to achieve.  
  • Occupy first, sov second, five square rule third.  
  • Communicate when making exceptions or to adjust.
  • Be reasonable in your reply.
There are built in limitations (5 commanders, 70 vans, # of harvesters).  We deal with them everyday.  As a community the above bullet point seems to be the most widely accepted norm and has served me well to profit from my efforts (and perhaps the efforts of others).

Then I'd say the cost of replacing harvesters isn't my problem when they get squished. Why communicate when a quick attack is a much faster and efficient method of ending the poaching of a kill? I've had issues in the past where people get annoyed that I've killed their skinners.

As for the trove and brascan comment, it differs somewhat from kills as no one has to lose troops hunting sentient trove... yet.... (who knows what the devs are doing)

However, I'd also like to point out that you haven't claimed sov or put armies on most of the squares around your town.... so would it therefore be totally fine for me to settle a town 5.1 squares away from you? 

As for llanedd's comment... I'd point out that in a situation where this has happened, you get 2 kinds of animal drop on the same tile. As these situations do not make up the majority of kill spots and are easily identified through scouting, I don't feel that they can really be used as a justification for poaching.

-------------

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 21:48
Occupy the square to show its your kill.Just set the army to occupy. It's not rocket science. Unguarded = I don't care enough about it. So its anybody's. NPC's kill each other, its not only players that generate anatomies.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 21:49
Hides are only expensive because not enough people are bothering to collect them and post sell orders.

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 21:52

Hey All,

Poach boldly!  If someone isn't willing to put an army on it then it isn't important to them.  I tend NOT to kill poachers and I practice what I preach.  If I leave it unprotected then I fully anticipate that someone else will come in and pick it up.  How can it be theft if you won't hold claim to it?  Possession matters.

All that being said... communication is important and I wouldn't put an army on a square to harvest what I didn't kill.  This includes the Underworld forces leaving remains of each other all over the place.

+1

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 01:50

Then I'd say the cost of replacing harvesters isn't my problem when they get squished. Why communicate when a quick attack is a much faster and efficient method of ending the poaching of a kill? I've had issues in the past where people get annoyed that I've killed their skinners

I haven't worried about replacing harvesters in years.  A minor inconvenience for anyone who has played for a while.  Losing some while poaching, or harvesting from long distances, is just a known occupational hazard.   

However, I'd also like to point out that you haven't claimed sov or put armies on most of the squares around your town.... so would it therefore be totally fine for me to settle a town 5.1 squares away from you?

I believe the 10 square rule is community norm.  I do have a considerable amount of sov.  This isn't your best work Eeoworms.

As for llanedd's comment... I'd point out that in a situation where this has happened, you get 2 kinds of animal drop on the same tile. As these situations do not make up the majority of kill spots and are easily identified through scouting, I don't feel that they can really be used as a justification for poaching.

Did you just mention scouting?  I haven't scouted anything in years when I hunt.  I don't believe I ever scouted during the most recent tourney.  If I can get a party size then I know what I need to do in order to win.  Minimizing losses isn't my number one concern.  I just threw 10k spears to Audrey what is a few extra cavs lost when hunting dogs or sending them up a mountain for a prized kill?  

Or for that matter, resurrecting a commander?  I hear it is good for the complexion to get some extra rest.

My thoughts were probably different in my first year or so in the game.  A good training alliance (remember those?) can get the new player up to speed on best, or not so best, practices.

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 05:33

I haven't worried about replacing harvesters in years.  A minor inconvenience for anyone who has played for a while.  Losing some while poaching, or harvesting from long distances, is just a known occupational hazard.   

I have had people complain to me that I should've just bumped them and they've been extremely annoyed about losing some harvesters which is one of the things that prompted this poll.

I believe the 10 square rule is community norm.  I do have a considerable amount of sov.  This isn't your best work Eeoworms.

Yes, the 10 square rule is the norm, which is the point I was making. Why shouldn't someone owning their kill be the norm and not having to deal with poachers?

Did you just mention scouting?  I haven't scouted anything in years when I hunt.  I don't believe I ever scouted during the most recent tourney.  If I can get a party size then I know what I need to do in order to win.  Minimizing losses isn't my number one concern.  I just threw 10k spears to Audrey what is a few extra cavs lost when hunting dogs or sending them up a mountain for a prized kill? 

Given that a poacher hasn't even sent an army, I don't think its too much to ask for them to actually confirm that a kill belongs to no one if they're going to use the fact that npc vs npc is the occasional thing as a justification for poaching. You can send far more scout missions than you can armies so this seems like a more efficient solution to non-player caused kills.

-------------

Posted By: rajput
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:44
I voted No... Frankly speaking I personally never had issue with poaching. That can be due to all my cities in close proximity and clear demarcated map on my profile. Most of the time I will hunt more than I can harvest. Lately I do 1 or 2 days of kill then a week of harvesting...

If there are important kills (like underworld) then I always send an occupying army after it. Plus there is no way to figure out whether anatomies were naturally dropped or hunted unless there is a equipment drop as well.

Having said that, like Eowan highlighted, I also have seen some questionable behaviors. As some of our alliance members are semi active, I have seen players (even senior players) harvesting and poaching on sovereign squares of our alliance members like nobody's business. There is one who even have claimed sovereignty within 5 square of a member's city to harvest. So there are people who are trying to push the limits...

-------------

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 13:20
Originally posted by rajput rajput wrote:

If there are important kills (like underworld) then I always send an occupying army after it. Plus there is no way to figure out whether anatomies were naturally dropped or hunted unless there is a equipment drop as well.

Well said.

Having said that, like Eowan highlighted, I also have seen some questionable behaviors. As some of our alliance members are semi active, I have seen players (even senior players) harvesting and poaching on sovereign squares of our alliance members like nobody's business. There is one who even have claimed sovereignty within 5 square of a member's city to harvest. So there are people who are trying to push the limits...

When faced with questionable behaviors... push back.

One of my cities is now a part of the ever expanding newbie ring and I don't care that they harvest on my sov.  They need the 1k clay and I'll never harvest it.

Inactivity is a tangent that we can get into.  I'd say the level is at an all time high and would speculate that there is more than aggressive harvesting practices occurring. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 13:29

Plus there is no way to figure out whether anatomies were naturally dropped or hunted unless there is a equipment drop as well.

You can scout a square to see what drops are there. If there are 2 kinds of drop, there's a high chance its a natural drop. 

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 14:07
See Example Here, Notice There Are Only Hides And Rat Furs. This Is Because I Killed The Rats, Not An NPC.

-------------

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 19:00
This topic has been debated since harvesting started. Bottom line is everyone can do what they want. I kill anything poaching my kills without bothering to even approach the offender. If I catch that person again I directly attack his or her cities with troops and diplos. My kills are very rarely poached.

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 14:23
Originally posted by Gragnog Gragnog wrote:

This topic has been debated since harvesting started. Bottom line is everyone can do what they want. I kill anything poaching my kills without bothering to even approach the offender. If I catch that person again I directly attack his or her cities with troops and diplos. My kills are very rarely poached.

Which leads to another lesson... choose your neighbors carefully.

-------------

Posted By: Ten Kulch
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 20:21
Conservatively, you shouldn't harvest anything that you don't kill yourself. That completely avoids these sorts of problems. If you weren't strong enough to hunt that Legion, then you don't deserve the reward, even if nobody else has claimed it.

Conversely, if you killed something you find valuable, you can afford to occupy it. Imaginary scenarios like "what if I want to hunt 100 animals?" ignore the fact that people have multiple cities. I never run into situations where I need to kill dozens of separate NPCs. If you intend to harvest what you kill, then at some point your skinners are the limiting factor.

I should clarify that I consider hunting for XP to be a joke, since PvP is astronomically more efficient at generating XP. If you don't engage in PvP, then you don't really need advanced commanders anyway. It's a self-defeating argument.

Sending any harvester type over any large distance is foolish. There is a special place in the Underworld reserved for people who send troops anything they didn't personally kill. Animals do kill animals--particularly in biomes like jungle and desert--but any time you are trying to harvest something you didn't hunt yourself, you are taking a gamble and should acknowledge the possibility of loss.

On a positive note, the avenging of dead skinners is a quick, community-endorsed pretext for starting a skirmish or war.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Posted By: Miklabjarnir
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 23:54
It is a common fallacy to believe that a heap of remains means something has been killed by a player. Most kills I see are by two groups of critters clashing. If somebody feels posessive about a kill, they can at least place a token size 1 army on it.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 20:53
Originally posted by Miklabjarnir Miklabjarnir wrote:

. If somebody feels posessive about a kill, they can at least place a token size 1 army on it.

If somebody really feels the need to harvest a kill then they can at least send a token size 10 scout force to it.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 23:47

Originally posted by Miklabjarnir Miklabjarnir wrote:

. If somebody feels posessive about a kill, they can at least place a token size 1 army on it.

If somebody really feels the need to harvest a kill then they can at least send a token size 10 scout force to it.

If somebody really feels the need to harvest a kill and be possessive about it, they can kill it themselves. Problem solved.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2018 at 23:58
If the only thing that matters in the ownership of a kill is having an army occupying it, does that mean the people who poach would see nothing wrong with parking an army on a kill they didn't make?

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 18:26

If the only thing that matters in the ownership of a kill is having an army occupying it, does that mean the people who poach would see nothing wrong with parking an army on a kill they didn't make?

I'm not sure who said that. Sending troops to someone else's kill is a great way to kill their skinners and cause a dispute.

To me, the only thing that matters in the ownership of a kill is having killed it yourself. Leaving your army advertises your ownership of your kill, and if the parts are valuable, that makes good sense.

-------------

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 18:37
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

I'm not sure who said that. Sending troops to someone else's kill is a great way to kill their skinners and cause a dispute.

To me, the only thing that matters in the ownership of a kill is having killed it yourself. Leaving your army advertises your ownership of your kill, and if the parts are valuable, that makes good sense.

As far as I know, no one has said they'd be fine with sending troops to someone else's kill but to me it seems like the logical progression of the position of the poachers.

Hmm... have there been situations in the past where people have intentionally used someone's reaction to poaching as a pre-text for kicking off a war or something like that?

I agree entirely that the ownership of the kill is the one who paid in the form of troops to make said kill.

-------------

Posted By: TomBombadil
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 15:34
Most of my harvesting is from massive Critter on Critter kills.

Unless you park an army on it I have absolutely no way whatsoever to know whether it is your kill or not. If you can't be bothered by showing interest in a kill with an army or harvesters I'm going to assume you don't want it.

It is also very easy to just plonk down a tiny army on it for a day or two to mark your kill... I mean, you had to send an army there to kill it in the first place didn't you...

Hmm... have there been situations in the past where people have intentionally used someone's reaction to poaching as a pre-text for kicking off a war or something like that?

Wasn't there a war about a useless Trove mine at some point?

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 17:47
This thread is on page 3 which is already 2 pages too long.  I initially volley'ed with Eeoworms because I thought the back and forth was good for newer players to see a snapshot of the current diversity in thinking that exists within the community.  

Key points in summary:
  • Each person, and perhaps alliance, will have their views and there isn't one way that is considered to be a community consensus on the matter
  • Communication is key to resolve any perceived trespass and most in the community are level-headed enough to come to an acceptable resolution.  Many will offer compensation and/or an apology without looking to start a blame game or provoke further escalation.  Others will just move on and write it off as just one of those things that happens.
  • Know your neighbors and their philosophies.  It is nice to find those that are compatible with your approach to the game, especially when seeking to relocate or join an alliance. 
Happy hunting, harvesting, poaching, or whatever is you do!

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2018 at 20:08
Originally posted by TomBombadil TomBombadil wrote:

Most of my harvesting is from massive Critter on Critter kills.

Unless you park an army on it I have absolutely no way whatsoever to know whether it is your kill or not. If you can't be bothered by showing interest in a kill with an army or harvesters I'm going to assume you don't want it.

Please read the rest of the thread, its dead simple to find out if a kill is critter v critter. Just scout them. Its not hard. And surely you want to know the stuff you're harvesting is actually worthwhile seeing as you haven't killed it so you have a nice efficiency bonus there as you'll only harvest the useful stuff.

It is also very easy to just plonk down a tiny army on it for a day or two to mark your kill... I mean, you had to send an army there to kill it in the first place didn't you...

Its also very easy to scout them, I mean, you do have them just sitting around in your town... The issues with occupying are that:
 a) It uses up a commander who could be used for hunting other NPC, 
b) It places the commander at risk of being killed and then having to be resurrected if the square gets hit by either another NPC or another hunter who was just too late,
c) What if you don't see the army that's there for the day?

Wasn't there a war about a useless Trove mine at some point?

I mean more in relation to poaching kills rather than mines but I guess that one fits too... and the silversteel wars recently as well...

-------------

Posted By: TomBombadil
Date Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 12:09

Its also very easy to scout them, I mean, you do have them just sitting around in your town... The issues with occupying are that:
 a) It uses up a commander who could be used for hunting other NPC, 
b) It places the commander at risk of being killed and then having to be resurrected if the square gets hit by either another NPC or another hunter who was just too late,
c) What if you don't see the army that's there for the day?

All of this puts the onus on every other person in Illy who didn't make the kill. That's just nonsensical.
It is far easier for the person who made the kill to claim it visibly that to expect every other single person in Illy to scout it out and play Sherlock Holmes first.

If you want it, show that you want it. Don't expect every other person on the map to go through the trouble of playing detective around an unclaimed kill because that isn't going to happen. You will inevitably be disappointed and have an unintended conflict that could all have been avoided by just controlling your own actions at a trivial personal cost.

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 19:08
Is it nonsensical though? Surely, as the one who's actually paid for the kill in troops, you have the right to it? Why should anyone else have the right to a kill they didn't make?

And, I'd hardly say sending some scouts is Sherlock Holmes levels of investigation. You're checking to see if there are multiple animal drops on the same square.

Shouldn't a poacher want to scout the squares to make sure what they are collecting is actually worthwhile?

Haven't you shown that you want it by going to the time and effort of killing some NPCs? 

Here's the thing, as I have stated, the cost is not trivial. You lose 20% of your armies for an extended period of time and risk the time cost of resurrecting a commander.

The cost of scouting a kill is what is trivial; 10 scouts taking up 5% of your total ability to send out diplomatic missions for a short amount of time with no risk of them being killed by  troops or NPCs.

-------------

Date Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 22:06
+1 It is the responsibility of the hunter to mark his(her) kills. End of.

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 03:10

Why should anyone else have the right to a kill they didn't make?

Given your real life philosophies on the right to retain that for which one has worked... I find that statement amusing.  

Maybe the poacher can make better use of the resources than the hunter?  

I kid.  Let this thread be done now.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2018 at 06:18
Lol, well, if the poacher can make better use they should IGM the hunter and offer to pay the hunter what the hunter currently receives... problem solved...

as for letting a thread end... read my forum signature... :P

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net