Print Page | Close Window

Illyriad Changing Tournament

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: Suggestions & Game Enhancements
Forum Description: Got a great idea? A feature you'd like to see? Share it here!
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10492
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 22:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Illyriad Changing Tournament
Posted By: eowan the short
Subject: Illyriad Changing Tournament
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 15:56
So, here's an example scenario for this:

The lesser nobles and factions of Illyria tire of the aloofness that has come to characterize King Sigurd and the Council's rule of the land. Claims that the king is a weak and ineffective leader are swelling from quiet murmurings of discontent to out and out revolt. 

In Woodsedge, protests over grain quotas turned violent when the Council sent guards to disperse the mob. The bloody aftermath saw 23 dead with a further 53 seriously wounded, and now Woodsedge is being used as a symbol to foment unrest across Illyriad. 

Riots broke out in Riverpass and Sebring as the people call for Sigurd to abdicate and the Council to dissolve. Fires light up the night sky as Council forces fight to quash the burgeoning rebellion. Refugees flood to trade hubs seeking safety, but most are turned away at the gates; growing food shortages do not bring out the best in people, and millions are set to starve.

The clashing factions look to the Lords of Illyriad for aid in this epic struggle. Whose side will you pick? Will you send your mighty armies in support of King Sigurd, crushing the insurrection? Or will you march side by side with the rebels, deposing the bloated and corrupt monarch?

This could be a scenario where the factions war with each other. Hubs could be raised, converted to different factions and new ones created (somehow, open to suggestions on that). Elections could be done to determine a player representative for each side who could set macroeconomic policy for each side (reduced or increased taxes, increased or decreased guard patrols leading to bandits and random hostile faction groups appearing etc etc)

Regions could end up under control of the different factions as they gain control of more hubs leading to the policies of that side being introduced there, alliances and players could lose/ gain standing with various factions.... a whole bunch of stuff could change with this. It could even change the effect of the seasons in different regions as some policies would lead to better or worse outcomes for production of basic resources.

Of course, this would be a lot of effort to set up but I think its a cool idea... what do you all think?

-Eowan

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Replies:
Posted By: Humanoid
Date Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 18:29
I like the idea of converting factions, but elections isn't that good. I think it's better that each faction choose the with the higher standing with it as an ally, that it joins in wars and send troops to the capital city, while garnting benefits to other alliance when reaching certain milestones. The faction stats of an alliance should be based on the stats of each player (who already have base stats depending on his race) and can be changed by doing alliance-wide faction quests than affect not only the faction only but other factions as well (like attacking an other faction encapment or something). Also the faction standing of each player try to go get back to the base standing (either by increasing or decreasing) maybe montly or weekly.
After all, I think it's a really cool idea, and a thing I surely want to see in illy.
-HumanOid 

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 19:00
tbh, I added the elections thing mostly because I'd love to have that role... I'd spend hours on that just working out the best way for me to do things.. I suspect it'd also add a degree of complexity miles beyond what it would be worth

Perhaps when they fully introduce faction AI and rankings this could be done to kick things off?

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Posted By: rajput
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 11:26
Bravo! Clap

Or the benefits or standing awards can be decided by Devs/GM and made as part of the story, as well as considering factions back story.

This could be a game changer... But I also foresee some problems as well Geek. Firstly, it will benefit more to currently established players/alliances Disapprove. And once the scenario has been played out, you will start losing the replay value or freshness so to speak... Stern Smile

Also, If you keep on repeating a scenario (like uprising in this case) the image of Council of Illyria (which is of stable, solid, full of wisdom, etc..) will become that of failed state in all practical senses (which could work for some other factions mind you).  And if you repeat this with all factions then sooner or later all will more or less feel the same.

Although having said that as seasoned players/alliances get bored with it, new players/alliances may get a chance to experience it. ErmmConfused

Sleepy *Goes back to day dreaming of taking on Tipu Khan with his Rajput and his other avatar Sultan for control of Ordu Kush. As well as capturing and equipping his cavalry with Tipu Khan's Stallions which has 100% all terrain and 100% speed bonuses.* Wacko

-------------

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 19:36
It will lose its replay value if you keep the same scenario... but there are others as well, that was just the first example that came to mind...

Other examples could be pest control, famine, bandits... it could be that over time the factions develop their own concrete countries as different areas become more separated and players could have a hand in the internal and external diplomatic intrigues of those countries, pushing for different leaders to gain and lose power.

-------------

Posted By: rajput
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 20:46
Yes I agree with you as long as they keep moving the story forward it will be great. Approve

Also I have suggestion for 'Quest' system, which have become quite stale by now. Geek

Why dont Devs open a quest submission function similar to the support petition system they have. Let bored players like me and Eowan submit quest ideas to Devs. They can scrutinize and apply them to the game. Handshake

Making Illyriad wee bit more exciting Tongue, at least for new players...

-------------

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 21:17
ooh... yeah... and allow for multi stage questing with riddles and stuff to introduce a level of difficulty beyond "send vans here" or "scout this square"... possibly link them to the lore to encourage people to read more faction pages and the like

-------------

Posted By: Eros
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 21:38
Razing hubs... That wont end well

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 21:44
maybe just capturing by other factions then... 
or perhaps some sort of hub insurance could be implemented, it'd go really well with my volcano insurance...

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net