Forum Description: For everything related to the Elgea Continent
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10456
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 14:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: On the Treatment of Newbs
Posted By: Lord Brakan
Subject: On the Treatment of Newbs
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 20:00
It was during the war with The Mal Motshans that Illyriad was presented a choice: They could stand idly by and allow TMM to bully and threaten Newbies OR they could go to war to and distinguish Illyriad from the failed games such as Fallen Sword, Eve, travian, grepolis, to name a few. This was a war of Honor and fortunately Illyriad chose the latter. This pivotal point in Illyrian History set the stage for the record of being one of the oldest and most active game out there. 
I do promise this: that as long as I draw breath, mine clan Brakandrok will remain a friend of all younglings and newbies, yes, even the orcs. I urge all true Illyrians to pledge the same. Protection of newbs should be one of the highest honors one can be called to, for without newbs, our beautiful world will swiftly crumble. 
Lord Brakan,

Replies:
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 20:10
It has been brought to my attention that this post could be viewed as Anti-Tcol. To be perfectly clear, this post was simply made as a result of my research into that period. This was not intended to point fingers at anyone, simply a general observation that I made. 
To be clear, I do support TCol and their nation and I do not want them to, nor should they, be paralled to TMM.

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 21:16
will there ever come an end to the whining about honor and how great the past used to be? If you want to be a friend of newbies please do so without shouting for attention. 

I miss the bitter sea.

Posted By: Mr. Ubiquitous Feral
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 02:12
Support your local land claimer.

-------------
I am a Machine.

Posted By: Ten Kulch
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 03:26
Normally I'm not a joiner, but I like what that dude is saying about standing up to n00bs. The whole part about perishing brought a tear to my eye. I don't know who these True Illyrians and their n00b henchmen are, but I think we can all agree that we need to go back six years in a time machine, selectively interpret some random forum complaints without any context whatsoever, and then save the Mal Motshans from these threatening bullies. Because if there's one thing I can't stand, it's a beautiful game world that isn't crumbling.

I mean honestly, if you'd just mentioned intimidation and coercion, I might have literally leapt out of my chair for pure joy.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Posted By: Almost Balanced
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 08:21
I could now list dozens of cities (some of them are still in their places) and a dozen players who left the Illyriad in the beginning of "land claim strategy" because of the land claiming strategy and have never returned. Today is the same. I was, as a newbie victim of that strategy, spending a lot of money and nerves, but I did not leave the game for that. The reason for my departure was the disease.

I am here, around the game, from 10.07. 2011, I remember the better days.

Land claiming surprised even developers who could not answer.

This strategy, with the developer's inevitability, slowly but surely crushes the foundations of the game.
(player base)

But this is sandbox, isn't it?

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 09:14
Well, I started spring 2010 when the game was still very young and all the bs of protecting newbies has never gone anywhere beyond gc. Newbies who didn't come crying in gc were never protected. Attacking newbies was'nt and still isn't worth the time of experienced players unless the newbie is at a stratigical location or just very annoying.  

The game rules, mechanics and map have evolved during the years and offcourse player strategies were adjusted to these changes, for better or worse. Personally I think the game has improved during that time. Take a look at the old screenshots gm tundercat (?) posted recently. You really want to go back in time? If you don't like the way the game works now either try to change it or leave it for those who are new or those who are still enjoying it after 8 years. 

Posted By: Mr. Ubiquitous Feral
Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 15:57
I started playing Illy in June of 2010. I have been in many alliances and every one 'claimed' a certain area. This is human nature, right? Why is it such a surprise to find land claiming in a game? It makes great sense and helps the alliance in many ways. I wish Illy would be attacked by lizard aliens so people would have something to complain about instead of the legitimate use of game mechanics to organize their group into clusters. In the case of The Colonial Desert State, the grouping together of multiple alliances is the obvious next step in the evolution of Illy. I look forward to more like groupings in order to bring real competition to the game.

pTory had discussed land claiming in BL long before TCol and Ta2in respectfully offered a confed. I believe the new pTory also has this desire, but in a different way. This would have been exactly what Yuki and I had wanted except that one of us freaked a bit. That would have been a good time for the lizard aliens to show up.

Concerning newbs? I think there are many new players who like Illy the way it is, and some want it to be a soft, yielding, 'let me alone so I can farm' style game. The best advice for peaceful newbs might be to just play that way. Become successful and contribute, remaining active. Join an alliance which doesn't interfere with other alliances and they may get the peaceful farming game they want.

-------------
I am a Machine.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 18:11
I'd like to point out again that I do support land claims. 
Again, this post was simply an observation I made based on my research into that time period. I did not, nor do I, mean for there to be parallels drawn or fingers pointed at any modern alliance or group.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 19:27
Originally posted by Almost Balanced Almost Balanced wrote:

I could now list dozens of cities (some of them are still in their places) and a dozen players who left the Illyriad in the beginning of "land claim strategy" because of the land claiming strategy and have never returned.

Please list them.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Date Posted: 28 Apr 2018 at 22:25
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

I could now list dozens of cities (some of them are still in their places) and a dozen players who left the Illyriad in the beginning of "land claim strategy" because of the land claiming strategy and have never returned.

Please list them.

There is a difference between being able and willing.

Once, upon the time I did, but that post was deleted by Rikoo after two minutes. And my forum acc too.

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 07:58
I will first support the "land claim" strategy when it becomes part of the code of this game.

As long as it is not part of the code, for me is "land claim" muscle pumping.

You put your finger on the map, you say, "That's mine!"

It's easier than reading a book. (I mean the book of the game)

Be a "land claimers", but earn it through the gaming mechanism.

For the most common spear the player has to do many things, truth or lie?

Posted By: Gragnog
Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 13:59
LMFAO. Bitching about land claimers being the reason people leave. Thats the most pathetic argument in this forum. How about listing the players who left because of whiners like you? That list would be twice as long. Rikoo has gone, feel free to list the folks who left because of land claims now. As to it being a game mechanic before you recognize it? Well, the ability to make and use troops to defend what is yours proves the game mechanics are designed to include land claims. You do not like it, do something about it in game then. Dislodge the folks protecting their areas.

There are so many open free spots in the game using land claims as an excuse is like sitting in the rain bitching about getting wet instead of walking to nearest shelter to get out of the rain. Get of your fat arses and move to the nearest shelter so you can stay dry and happy.

-------------
Kaggen is my human half

Date Posted: 29 Apr 2018 at 16:17
Meta-gaming is part of the Illyriad architecture. We put a finger on the map and said "That's ours." If people use the game mechanics to put a city in there, we use the game mechanics to remove it.

I don't need to read the book. I wrote the book.

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 07:01
Is there a landclaim in the noobring?

Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 10:01
"Land claims", in my humble opinion, integrated into the gaming code as a reward (or opportunity) for the achievements of an alliance in all segments of the game (by the number of members, cities etc.) would certainly be a motivation for veterans and novices.

Posted By: Tink XX
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 15:08

"Land claims", in my humble opinion, integrated into the gaming code as a reward (or opportunity) for the achievements of an alliance in all segments of the game (by the number of members, cities etc.) would certainly be a motivation for veterans and novices.

It ain't happening. You are complaining about how other people choose to play. It is their choice to "build their own empire" as the front page of illyriad advertises, by the means available to them. People complaining in GC do more to scare off the newbs than the actual landclaimers.

Posted By: Thexion
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 16:08
Stick to the topic.
Point a newbie suffering
under yoke of slaving land claimers
show community the proof
put your armies where your mouth is
and the wrath of illy mob
might awaken to spread 
its unjust, opportunistic
and unnecessary cruel judgement.

Posted By: Thexion
Date Posted: 30 Apr 2018 at 16:12
Or then again might not.

Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 04:52
And where would that mob get directed? To the imaginary people who bully n00bs? Farming n00bs doesn't happen in this game on any meaningful frequency. This entire debate is a straw man argument, a tirade against a boogeyman that we all know doesn't exist.

Why it wandered over to land claims, sensible readers can judge for themselves.

-------------

Posted By: Dabrelis
Date Posted: 01 May 2018 at 07:33
As a n00b myself I can testify that treatment of n00bs in Illyriad is excellent!!
Welcome packages, alliance invites, friendly neighbors, great advices.
And same story for my alt.

Only issues I had was some bad guys bumping my cotters now and then! Once I noticed killed legion of rats with over 1000 hides dropped, sent my cotters... got bumped!!! Damned bullies!

Posted By: rajput
Date Posted: 02 May 2018 at 10:31
BTW, pointing to map and saying 'that's mine' is actually how allot of (real world) historic expeditions/expansions happened. Therefore, I will not be surprised that it carried over to this sandbox as well.

And talking about empires..., you must also read the line just under the 'Build a city, create an Empire!' on http://illyriad.co.uk/" rel="nofollow - Illyriad main page , it says 'Forge Alliances with thousands of players.'... If you look at the events, this is actually what happened with CDS as hundreds of players (if not thousands) forged an alliance, and created an empire called CDS.

One city is not an empire! You can only create and maintain an empire (be it single player's or an alliance's) if it's many cities are within a reasonable proximity of each other, as well as, have mix of specializations. There are a number of players (some of them even old/senior players) that are too scattered around, perhaps they are feeling threatened due to shortcomings of their own strategies as well as in predicting and adopting to the evolution of meta-game.

Having said that none of us hold any ill toward any newbs and will continue to provide them support and guidance. As same was provide to me when I joined the game and remained alliance-less for few years. I even did mistakes/mischiefs but was never corrected harshly, people here are willing to hear and guide you correctly.

Disclaimer: Opinion(s) mentioned above are just mine and does not necessarily represent opinion(s) of any affiliate group or person.

-------------

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net