Print Page | Close Window

Heart of corruption

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: The Caravanserai
Forum Description: A place to just chat about whatever takes your fancy, whether it's about Illyriad or not.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10454
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 22:31
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Heart of corruption
Posted By: zap
Subject: Heart of corruption
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 03:39
several days ago many in gc where discussing how many units it would take to get the heart to grow another tentacle. since then I sent 50k units (all T1 scouts).at the start there were 18 corupted tentacles after 30k of the scouts arrived I have counted 19 corrupted tentacles.

-------------
Just here

Replies:
Posted By: Ten Kulch
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 03:41
But how much had Audrey eaten beforehand?

Didn't someone publish a study of feeding the HoC on this forum?

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 03:42
I just started this one no idea who has sent what

-------------
Just here

Posted By: Alcie
Date Posted: 20 Apr 2018 at 05:13
Originally posted by Ten Kulch Ten Kulch wrote:

But how much had Audrey eaten beforehand?

Didn't someone publish a study of feeding the HoC on this forum?

First, great experiment Zap! We should do more.

Ten Kulch, There were various experiments but only partial conclusions which were not super specific. e.g. we know military units seem to work faster. Do all units definitely help when eaten? Is it gold per hour/experience worth which matters? If I recall, Audrey needs to eat more and more every additional square so that the first few after she goes to sleep are easy, but the last few are the hardest. I would not swear to that, but it is the impression a lot of people had.

The 30k scouts tests generally agrees with previous hypotheses that
1. Scouts are also good Audrey food
2. Somewhere in the realm of 50k experience worth of units (that number is definitely not close to precise) might be enough when Audrey is 'medium'

Given the developers penchant, my guess is that there is a semi-nice formula which depends on how many squares have already been corrupted. Since it usually takes months to wake Audrey up, and since waking her up usually takes lots of people but lots of people muddle up experiments, there haven't been all that many great experiments.

One of the most rigorous experiments (along with video evidence) is here: http://www.puzzleslogic.com/illy/home.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.puzzleslogic.com/illy/home.html

That experiment shows around how many troops were needed for a couple specific squares, so give a decent starting point. A few other similar experiments might be enough to figure it all out completely. If anyone wants to try these experiments again, I think people would be interested in participating. Though... maybe not immediately since we just had the announcement of a new Kodabear-and-friends tournament to look forward to.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 00:43
the last 20k scouts have arrived at the heart and no more change. So first 30k got another corrupted tentacle but next 20k did nothing . Will send another 50k to see what happens. If I had estimates about how many sent before I did would be much more controlled.

-------------
Just here

Posted By: Wartow
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 21:26
I have been sending charioteers, but usually less than 1k at a time.  Do the little hits count for nothing?  Or is it an accumulation of all hits?

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 21:27
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

I have been sending charioteers, but usually less than 1k at a time.  Do the little hits count for nothing?  Or is it an accumulation of all hits?

Nobody knows for sure.

Perhaps, like LSoH, you have to feed Audrey ever-increasing amounts.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 21:32
I am thinking its an accumulation of hits. I will be sending another 50k sometime today. Try to get another tentacle to show. But it takes my units 4 days to arrive. But if another tentacle does grow ,will be getting closer to figuring out how many it does take. Right now I am thinking about 25-30k units gets some growth.

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2018 at 23:40
Then you are talking about 2M units to wake Audrey. That seems like a lot.

-------------

Posted By: Almost Balanced
Date Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 08:47
Audrey is troll.
Do not feed trolls.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 16:04
Ok last night sent another 30k T1 and 20k T2 diplo units , want to see if there is a difference between T1 and T2 to get a tentacle to grow. as of this posting there are 19 corrupted tentacles.

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 18:14
Dec-7 2017 (16 squares):

Jan-26 2018 (17 squares):

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 20:33
your missing 2 squares in your photo
-995/-828 and -994/-820 as it is now April 22 2018

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 23 Apr 2018 at 01:34
Originally posted by zap zap wrote:

your missing 2 squares in your photo
-995/-828 and -994/-820 as it is now April 22 2018

Yup, was just showing what things looked like in Dec '17 and Jan '18.

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Apr 2018 at 00:26
Ok the last set of 50k scouts has arrived . Well any way another corrupted tentacle has grown so now there are 20. So I will carry on experimenting. next group will be 20k T2 scouts only.

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 15:26

-------------

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 15:32
How many squares before it starts beating?

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Posted By: Dungshoveleux
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2018 at 23:54
iirc somewhere between 70-80 squares are needed.

Posted By: Asvenger
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 04:01
Maybe only 40 to go - do you check the tracker page? -  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KAj9waudZUlRQn9Vv9ODe9RWwV6awkwQa6C5fNbxTzM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=700826357" rel="nofollow - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KAj9waudZUlRQn9Vv9ODe9RWwV6awkwQa6C5fNbxTzM/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=700826357

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2018 at 16:20
Last time I figured it was 67 squares needed . And it takes between 22k-28k to get another tentacle to grow.

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 21:47

Sept-12, Sept-14, Sept-17, Sept-19, Sept-23

-------------

Posted By: Asvenger
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 03:39
Looks like possibly only 7 squares to go. What's the plan this time around? 

Posted By: eowan the short
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2018 at 10:45
get people to make loads of orc tentacles and then sell them to everyone except warty :P

-------------
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2018 at 23:53
Looks like heart is very close , I suggest that anyone that can to do the fortune teller to get the system note required < maybe when it starts beating those that have will get tentacles to grow around their cities. If so then we need to figure out the next step. I myself am waiting for this next move. But remember you must have 5 of each in the town that your working from . Just an Idea this way we can all work together to figure out how to kill tentacles to move forward.

-------------
Just here

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 03:59
For those that have had tentacles grow around their towns I have some questions.
1)What time of year did this happen Winter, summer, spring?
2)what time of day? night ?morning?
3)Was there a full moon?
4)Did you attack tentacles? Or just plant troops to stop growth?
5)Did you just give up and move the town?

It appears that 70 tentacles have grown around the heart. I do not know if the main part counts as one or not. But it seems the heart will start beating soon when the proper amount has grown. I suggest again that you get the fortune teller system mails done asap.

6)Did you use any magic on the Tentacles?
7)If you attacked the tentacles what happened to your troops?

-------------
Just here

Posted By: Hopper
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 15:40
If ever a new episode of HoC beating is coming, just a reminder about the use of  FT visits:

Eight Fortune Tellers appear on Illy's map every Illy day...
They move at midnight!

'Fortunately', Illy's 'benign' devs publish a daily update about Illy's map around 00h45mins, at 
http://data-root.illyriad.net/datafile_worldmap.txt" rel="nofollow - http://data-root.illyriad.net/datafile_worldmap.txt

Each square of the map is described on a line of data, each one separated by a vertical bar ('|').
The fortune teller code is '157', on the 9th field of each line.

For those of you peeps who know how to launch a Unix line command, you may find it convenient to use this one:
curl --compress -s http://data-root.illyriad.net/datafile_worldmap.txt" rel="nofollow - http://data-root.illyriad.net/datafile_worldmap.txt | awk -F"|" '$9 == "157" {print $2 "|" $3}'

(If you want to understand what this is doing:
curl means 'See URL' i.e. query the following site
--compress parameter means unzip the file from ditto site
-s means "spare me from gibberish messages about what you're doing, I don't care about them!"
awk (etc.) tells to read the resulting file, check for the lines where the 9th field has the code for Fortune Teller, and retrieve its x,y position on the map

Easy and nifty!, isn't it? )

Posted By: Samalander
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 04:16
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NWun81o7dWAQCbpjT0Oo9TuDzrhFoKa8DCjt489XCm8/pubhtml

Or you could just go to this site .  LOL

Posted By: zolvon
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 07:53
Audrey comes to life again.

Whats the plan this time?

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 10:08
I think there are currently 3 or 4 people doing the next step but they are waiting for the moon to be full for their phase to work. Then I think there is also some testing during that phase. Most things have been tried though. We still seem to be missing some key lore components to give us clues about what to do.

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 17:54
Get Rich Making Tentacles
    Who should try to generate tentacles?  Anyone who is just starting this quest or is interested in collecting tentacles to sell in the market.  Dorf and orc tentacles are particularly in high demand in between "awakenings".  Elf tentacles have some value while human tentacles are a dime a dozen in the market.
    Recommendations vary widely when it comes to generating corrupted units to return and potentially deposit a tentacle at your castle door.  Please note that the size of the party sent to the temples does not matter.  An estimated 5% (1 in 20) of returning/attacking corrupted parties will drop A SINGLE tentacle.  

So you want to send lots of parties, if you are really into this quest, but there are some limiting factors.  One factor is the number of diplo units that you can have in motion at one time (consulate level + foreign office level).  If you favor speed then the messenger unit would be the way to go.  Other diplo units may be less expensive to create but the journey to the temples may take more time.  Once your diplo units are corrupted then you can immediately send your next round of units. 

If you are a wealthier player who enjoys a good use of prestige then it is possible to actually send caravans to these temples to be corrupted.  As you probably know you can speed up caravans to be as fast as you like and they are cheap and quick to replace. 
    Don't send military unless you suffer from some serious gold burn.  I know when you send to the Heart of Corruption itself that your forces die and your commander CANNOT be resurrected.  I'd expect a similar behavior from the temples.

The corrupted temples to which you send parties are located at:
    • https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-990/-817" rel="nofollow - https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-990/-817
    • https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-989/-817" rel="nofollow - https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-989/-817
    • https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-985/-826" rel="nofollow - https://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/World/Map/-985/-826

How do you defend against these incoming corrupted attacks?  They are not particularly mighty critters.  One unit at a time will usually bounce off of your city walls while possibly taking a member of your army down with it.  If you truly sent one unit at a time to the temples then single unit attacks, no matter how numerous, really won't make a dent in any standing army you might have.  Even if your defenses fail you are only out a few resources that the corrupted being could loot from your city.

-------------

Date Posted: 06 May 2019 at 23:45
I send scouts 1x only and when they hit the temples I send another bunch. This time I'm within 4 hours travel time so ought to get a few dwarven tentacles.

Posted By: Hucbold
Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 00:39
This long-abandoned Place of High Sacrifice now seems to be expectantly awaiting your visit. 

Ancient statues, weather-worn and chipped, which previously stared blindly out into the jungle, now seem to stare intently at the paths and approaches, as if watching for your people. A thick layer of mould covers the stones, which rots the flesh of any who brush against it. The steps leading up to the ziggurat are now lined with fungal pods, which stand like sentries. A foul-smelling slime drips, in slow streams, down the stairs from the top. 

Something waits at the high altar at the top of the ziggurat. 

As your units climb the steps, thick creepers uncurl behind them, blocking the way back down. Those who have waited at the foot of the ziggurat see in the foliage around them, huge balls of fungus, just starting to split open....

Is this a new message? Sending 1 clay on a caravan. There was somewhere a message saying to 'bury the newcomers in clay - triple times I tell thee' or something like that. I'm sending clay at all three temples just in case 

Date Posted: 09 May 2019 at 13:38
Originally posted by Hucbold Hucbold wrote:

This long-abandoned Place of High Sacrifice now seems to be expectantly awaiting your visit. 

Ancient statues, weather-worn and chipped, which previously stared blindly out into the jungle, now seem to stare intently at the paths and approaches, as if watching for your people. A thick layer of mould covers the stones, which rots the flesh of any who brush against it. The steps leading up to the ziggurat are now lined with fungal pods, which stand like sentries. A foul-smelling slime drips, in slow streams, down the stairs from the top. 

Something waits at the high altar at the top of the ziggurat. 

As your units climb the steps, thick creepers uncurl behind them, blocking the way back down. Those who have waited at the foot of the ziggurat see in the foliage around them, huge balls of fungus, just starting to split open....

Is this a new message? Sending 1 clay on a caravan. There was somewhere a message saying to 'bury the newcomers in clay - triple times I tell thee' or something like that. I'm sending clay at all three temples just in case 

I'm pretty sure that is the typical message returned when your party reaches the corrupted temple.

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:23
60 missions 3 tentacles 5% drop rate so far.

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 10:25
3 dwarf tentacles = 30million, 60 scouts <1,000 gold, ROI = alot!

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 14:13
Originally posted by Dungshoveleux Dungshoveleux wrote:

3 dwarf tentacles = 30million, 60 scouts <1,000 gold, ROI = alot!

Orcs need to get in on this too!

-------------

Date Posted: 10 May 2019 at 22:41
My thoughts too!
This dwarf will swap other race tentacles at 1:1

Date Posted: 11 May 2019 at 14:41
While the tentacle collection phase is good stuff... what about the swift and ruinous that will doom us all?

Is it safe to assume that all of those that are in the armies lead by General Swift and Major Ruinous are infantry/sword units?  Similar to those corrupted beasts that return from the temples?  

How best to prepare for this battle?

And when I fail... do those tentacle squares surrounding the cities ever go away?  Do you lose all ability to sov those squares?  Am I looking at relocation as my only alternative to move from those new corrupted squares?

All speculation, new found interest, and rekindled veteran wisdom appreciated... 

-------------

Posted By: zolvon
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 07:35
I'm Baffled, I started this years ago, have advanced to the  await the 'dread corruption rising' part, have surrounded that town through 2 or maybe 3 cycles, and nothing at all has happened. No escaped tentacles, no swift and ruinous attacks, nothing.

I have sent all kinds of things to the temples, like - one of each elemental salt, clay, gold, differant minerals, spies, thieves and more but always the same result. Nill.

I have been tempted to send 2999 Flektrine and 1 desert flame to the centre of the heart.

Something to remember is the distinction between different parts of the heart ie; the right and left tendrils, maybe sending something there may do something? maybe tentacles? or Elemental salts?

Posted By: Etherea
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 12:51
Hi Everyone, 
   I was having a conversation with Lady Amber as she was going over her incoming reports from the battles with the corrupted forces returning to her cities, and she noticed something that we are looking further into, but it may offer a clue. 
   What she noticed was that from some of her cities, the defending troops were being killed in large numbers with very few tentacles to retrieve, while from other cities defending troops were being largely left alive with a larger quantity of tentacles dropped.
   We started going over her numbers and the cities that they were assigned from originally and noticed what may or may not be a correlation. 
   Lady Amber largely sieges her cities, and the we started noticing a trend between what cities had been originally of one race, vs of another race, but results were staggered. with the exception of originally Dwarven cities which across the board (for her cities) were remaining largely left alive by the corrupted forces, with more tentacles being dropped for them as well. 
   So we started hypothesizing about the idea that Dwarven cities (those that share an affinity for Duraz Karag which is mentioned all over the place in relation to the HOC mystery) fare better than those aligned with other races, except under certain circumstances, which led us to a secondary hypothesis that the temples may be racially aligned, each for one of the three remaining races, and if you send troops from a, say for example, Elven city or a city that was originally created by an Elf, to the proper Temple that you will suffer fewer losses, and gain more drops. But it does seem to tie with the cities ORIGINAL owners race. 

I spoke to Valaera about this and she has created a google spreadsheet to track players sends to the different temples and record the drops and defending troop losses to see if there is indeed a correlation. The spreadsheet is editable by anyone, so I am going to put the link here so if you want to be part of this project/test you can be, and maybe we can get another answer. Not quite sure what that answer means yet, but it is possibly a small step forward we didn't have before. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11K4J8Su4rd6OHwgJ0MC-XUpMJQY_Oq8tgQe6wppOQT4/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11K4J8Su4rd6OHwgJ0MC-XUpMJQY_Oq8tgQe6wppOQT4/edit?usp=sharing

That is the link to the spreadsheet for this project. Feel free to join in. 

Kristaal

Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 14:31
Originally posted by zolvon zolvon wrote:

I'm Baffled, I started this years ago, have advanced to the  await the 'dread corruption rising' part, have surrounded that town through 2 or maybe 3 cycles, and nothing at all has happened. No escaped tentacles, no swift and ruinous attacks, nothing.

Speculations:

(1) Tentacles won't escape when at least one player successfully retains them within their city.  They only escape when all players fail to advance beyond this stage.  While the tentacles escaping are a sure sign of failure you also have to take the lack of action as failure as well.  I think this was added in by the DEVS later due to the 100% failure rate and it is a sign that someone(s) have progressed beyond this point.

(2) Swift and ruinous only comes to those who successfully retain tentacles.  Did those reaching this stage succeed?  I don't have that information and if someone has they haven't shared it with the community.

(3) Words matter.  Read those messages closely from the Old Crone.  As we continue to speculate it would be beneficial if you could quote directly from the Old Crone notes.  I think we are wandering too far off what is "obvious" from the text we are given.

-------------

Posted By: DeliciousJosh
Date Posted: 13 May 2019 at 16:14
The "it will cost you" quote from the old crone could also be referring to having some amount of gold in the city with the tradeable tentacles and surrounding tentacles.
Or losing the town that is surrounded (although that would remove the town which has been the instigator of continuing the quest).
Hmm..
I'm almost certain that sending items into the heart is pointless. We have to trigger something else. Sending the Messenger to the location Old Crone points out is the one i am about to do myself after getting a few more elven and orc tentacles.
Anyone have those for sale? I can swap 1:1 for dwarf like Dung.

-------------

PublicRelations
HumanResources

Posted By: Hopper
Date Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 10:59
If anybody cares about visiting Fortune Tellers daily changing encampments, here is an improvement on my awk routine:

BEGIN { FS ="|" ; region[1] = "Fremorn" ; region[2]="Kal Tirikan" ; region[3]="Wolgast" ; region[4]="Ursor" ; region[5]="Qarosslan" ; region[6]="Windlost" ; region[7]="Tamarin" ; region[8]="Fremorn" ; region[9]="Norweld" ; region[10]="Laoshin" ; region[11]="Ragallon" ; region[12]="Taomist" ; region[13]="Meilla" ; region[14]="Lucerna" ; region[15]="Middle Kingdom" ; region[16]="Mal Motsha" ; region[17]="Keppen" ; region[18]="Tor Carrock" ; region[19]="The Western Realms" ; region[20]="Keshalia" ; region[21]="Perrigor" ; region[22]="Kul Tar" ; region[23]="Kumala" ; region[24]="Lan Larosh" ; region[25]="Arran" ; region[26]="Turalia" ; region[27]="Zanpur" ; region[28]="Elijal" ; region[29]="Azura" ; region[30]="Keshalia" ; region[31]="OCEAN" ; region[32]="Tallimar" ; region[33]="Larn" ; region[34]="Kem" ; region[35]="Farra Isle" ; region[36]="Trome" ; region[37]="Kumala" ; region[38]="Stormstone Island" ; region[39]="Huronire" ; region[40]="Calumnex" ; region[41]="Puchuallpa" ; region[42]="Pamanyallpa" ; region[43]="Pamanyallpa" ; region[44]="Huronire" ; region[45]="Clarien" ; region[46]="Pawanallpa" ; region[47]="Chulbran" ; region[48]="The Poisoned Isle" ; region[49]="Glanhad" ; region[50]="Northmarch" ; region[51]="High Hills" ; region[52]="Huronire" ; region[53]="Oarnamly" ; region[54]="Oarnamly" ; region[55]="Kingslands" ; region[56]="Gremont" ; region[57]="Coanhara" ; region[58]="Lapo'a Lua" ; region[59]="Newlands" ; region[60]="Fellandire" ; region[61]="Aindara" ; region[62]="The Pirate Isles" ; region[63]="Silbeaur" ; region[64]="Fellandire" ; region[65]="Coanhara" ; region[66]="Vindorel" ; region[67]="Almenly" ; region[68]="Kormandly" ; region[69]="The Orken Coast" ; region[70]="Kingslands" ; region[71]="Farshards" ; region[72]="Shardlands" ; region[73]="Strendur" ; region[74]="Kumala" ; region[75]="Jurgor" ; region[76]="The Long White" ; region[77]="Jurgor" }
$9 == "157" { printf("%s\t%d\t%d",region[$11*1],$2,$3) ; print ""; }
END {  }

It returns a tab separated table of the eight encampments formatted as:
region name, X coord, Y coord

Easy to copy/paste into your fav spreadsheet, and see if any encampment can be visited in due time!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net