Print Page | Close Window

Small Alliances Tournament League

Printed From: Illyriad
Category: Miscellaneous
Forum Name: The Caravanserai
Forum Description: A place to just chat about whatever takes your fancy, whether it's about Illyriad or not.
URL: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=10452
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 23:15
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Small Alliances Tournament League
Posted By: eowan the short
Subject: Small Alliances Tournament League
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 03:52
Hey All,

So, a recent post by King Sigerius on my alliance cost thread gave me an idea for creating a tournament league for small alliances. The idea of this would be to give something for small alliances to do early on.

My current thinking is to make it open to any alliance ranked below 50 on the alliance leaderboard by land (which is also currently any alliance with less than 1k land).

Obviously, membership/ entrance fees would have to be implemented to fund prizes. 

Tournaments would be every 3 months with a mix of trade, growth, and military style ones. Depending on the popularity of this, there could be more than one at a time.

So, what are your thoughts on this? Would you be interested, what styles would you like, and what sort of prizes should there be?

-Eowan

Replies:
Posted By: Ten Kulch
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 05:12
What would a trade tournament look like? I have wondered over the years.

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 05:21
In the past when I've done/ seen trade tournaments, it has revolved around trade score growth. This isn't a perfect way of measuring trading... perhaps APIs could be used to ensure trading with an alt wasn't being used to boost scores.

I've also seen tournaments where the aim was to make the biggest single trade and also to acquire as many types of anatomies/herbs/minerals as possible.

Posted By: Mr. Ubiquitous Feral
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 16:15
This is a great idea. Come up with a simple tourney for the new smaller players and I will help with some prizes. Will it be like your previous PvP? Or the largest NPC kill with the best kill ratio? Maybe an ongoing PvP with winners advancing.

-------------
I am a Machine.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 18:37
A suggestion has been made for a discovery based tournament as well.  
"I was in a "discovery" tournament where I entered my newest town (no discoveries) and tried to get as many as I could in a set amount of time eg one month.  This worked as even noobs could join in and learn a new aspect of the game.  Tournaments like "discoveries" are great teaching tools. "

To me, this seems like a pretty cool idea. What do you all think?

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 20:07
Do it. What do you need to start? 

-------------
I am a Machine.

Posted By: DArtagnan
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 23:20
Sounds intriguing, there are lots of smaller players that this would be great for. I/we will help where we can.

Posted By: Ten Kulch
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 23:26
In my experience, the biggest challenge is marketing. Many little players don't read the forums, don't watch GC. So how do you effectively get the message out to them?

-------------
Check out my blog, http://illywarmonger.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 23:40
I've IGMed every single alliance leader it applies to, Ten. All 160 or so of them (some alliances only contained abandoned accounts). Marketing isn't an issue with copy, paste, and a mouse with a back button :D . I'll then IGM those who have responded whilst also posting on the forums again to announce new tournaments.

Thanks Dart, I'll put you in my list of interested alliances :) 

As for what I need to start, I need to have a stable account which I won't have until after May 31st, Ubi.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 07:52

So, currently, my ideas for types of tournament are as follows:

1) Military Tournaments

• King of the Hill- Unlikely to actually do this type as it is already used a lot during normal tournaments
  • Hunting Tournament- See how much of the environment can be killed- scored based on variety, quantity etc. 
  • Player Hunting Tournament- tournament accounts are used to send troops to random squares across Illyriad. Alliances then have to see how many of these they can kill first. This would be an example of limited PvP. 
  • Capture the Flag- Alliances are grouped into teams and have to defend flag towns made in tournament accounts whilst also capturing the opposing team's flags. 
  • Timing Tournaments- Alliances have to see how many armies (sieges?) they can land in a given time period. 

2) Growth Tournaments:

These are fairly self explanatory- see how much an alliance could grow by various metrics. I'd probably award prizes here based on 3 categories, greatest absolute growth, greatest % growth and a middle category that combined the scores from absolute and % growth

3) Trade Tournaments:

• Trade Score Growth- This would be to see who could trade the most stuff. This would be a case where a trade tournament API would be used to prevent people from just trading heavily with an alt to boost scores artificially. I'd probably also discount scores generated from trading with alliance mates.
  • Largest single order- Players from alliances compete to see who can fill the largest single trade orders in terms of value. Each player submits their own high score with alliances then getting a total score from this.
  • Gathering tournament- see who can gather the greatest variety of herbs/ anatomies/ minerals
  • There has been a suggestion for the use of tournament accounts to act as some sort of anonymous buyer/ seller in the markets... I'm currently working ideas for this. 

4) Discovery Tournament:

Each participating player starts with a town with no discoveries and sees how many they can get in a set period of time. 

I'm also open to any other suggestions you might have, in fact, the idea for the player hunting tournament and the discovery tournaments both came from people I IGMed about this.

All of the non-team tournaments would have 3 broad categories of score- an absolute, a size scaled and an inbetween value that combines the two. The idea of this is that larger alliances will do best with the absolute value, small ones will do better with size scaled and the inbetween value will give middle sized alliances an opportunity. 

Depending on how many alliances get involved and if I can find a large alliance to participate, there could be the potential for an all v 1 format where a single large alliance competes against as many of the small alliances as are interested in a tournament.

Posted By: Herod
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 10:50
    Unfortunatelly , I`m  not  only  founder  of  my  alliance - but  also  lonely  member  of  it . And  I  can`t  imagine  how  such  sleepy  player  as  I  will  take  a  part  at  some  tournaments ...
    ... But  your  idea  - it  is  perfect  beginning , which  must   make  a  nice  changes ...

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:32
Originally posted by Herod Herod wrote:

Unfortunatelly , I`m  not  only  founder  of  my  alliance - but  also  lonely  member  of  it . And  I  can`t  imagine  how  such  sleepy  player  as  I  will  take  a  part  at  some  tournaments ...
    ... But  your  idea  - it  is  perfect  beginning , which  must   make  a  nice  changes ...

Depends on the scoring mechanism. Could be done so it is the average across all alliance members in which case as the sole member you could score quite well.

Posted By: Herod
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 13:14
    Thank  for  notice , Tensmoor , and - I`m  with  curiosity  and  pleasure  see , that  in  Past  you  did  choose  pretty  the  same  avatar  that  recently  did  choose  I  am .

Posted By: Corwin
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 13:29
I was asked to give my opinion on the subject so here it is:

I have no opinion. If there comes a tournament for small alliances we will participate. If there comes a tournament for all alliances we will participate. If someone has the time to set up a tournament I'll be very thankfull. 

Posted By: General Lacesso
Date Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 08:10
I personally like the idea of a growth tournament. This can allow unexpired alliance to learn something. It might also help build up and strengthen small alliances as well as give them a reward for doing it. Same thing could be said about pvp, but the incredibly tiny alliances won't be able to compete as well.

-------------
Check out some good role play stories at https://cocameron0.wixsite.com/illyriad-stories

Date Posted: 16 Apr 2018 at 23:56
31 different alliances have shown interest so far! 

I'm going to wait a few more days to see if I get any more responses and then start sending out IGMs asking which of the tournament types they want- king of the kill, capture the flag etc.

Once I have a clear idea what sort of tournament people want, I'll work out dates and costs then make a new thread for it.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 02:56
Have you figured out what the prize/reward is going to be for the winning alliance? In addition, is it going to be just the one prize or is there going to be third and second place prize as well?

-------------
Check out some good role play stories at https://cocameron0.wixsite.com/illyriad-stories

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 03:08
GM Cerberus has expressed a willingness to do medals provided the tournament is run fairly which would be awesome :)

Beyond that, prizes will likely consist of gold, prestige and rare minerals/ equipment. 

As for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes... that would mean there would be 9 prizes in total across the 3 different categories which could stretch the prize fund very thinly. 

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 03:49
Serious? Cerberus suspects you may play unfairly? The nerve!

I will provide up to 100 million gold for prizes, does anyone want to match me? Of course, if Eowan gets to keep the funds I want a receipt, and a Soul Forged Blade as collateral. I like you, Eowan, but you're a bit slippery at times.

-------------
I am a Machine.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 03:55
lol,
If I had a soul forged blade then I wouldn't be working my arse off to acquire funds to buy a tome with :P

I will make a record of donations and entrance fees public so people can make sure I'm not skimming off the top.

Posted By: Dabrelis
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 06:34
Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

31 different alliances have shown interest so far! 

I'm going to wait a few more days to see if I get any more responses and then start sending out IGMs asking which of the tournament types they want- king of the kill, capture the flag etc.

Once I have a clear idea what sort of tournament people want, I'll work out dates and costs then make a new thread for it.

I like the idea War of Walls (r). I read on Illy Warmonger about it.
Basically- your task is to eliminate opposition walls, and you are not allowed to use catas for building destruction.

But I am not sure about logistics for this tournament or any military. In Illy you can’t successfully fight over long distances. If you are a small alliance, I mean. There had been apparently some successful operations by seasoned military alliances.

So, it would have to be regional..

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 08:27
*facepalm* I totally forgot to add that one to the list. Thanks for catching that. 

I agree, alliances would probably end up competing mostly in their own area but that's fine because of the number of alliances involved.

Posted By: Tink XX
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 16:04
Capture the flag sounds like a great idea.

Posted By: Anas
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 16:13
I would vote Capture the Flag as well.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 16:20
Is everyone aware that small aliance means small regional area of town placement? Even if every small alliance is willing to participate there is a very big chance some are so isolated they can't reach a flag or hill within  a month. Or do you wish a flag or hill for each region? In that case most regions only have 1 or 2 small aliances with a big chance 1 is stronger then the other and there's no fun in battling eachother. 
I really do hope you can make an interesting tournament for small alliances, but I doubt it will be as much fun as a tournament for everyone. I believe the tournament with the undead had different leagues. Maybe a server wide tournament with a division for small, medium and large alliance could be an option?

Posted By: Tensmoor
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 16:39
Originally posted by Corwin Corwin wrote:

Is everyone aware that small aliance means small regional area of town placement? Even if every small alliance is willing to participate there is a very big chance some are so isolated they can't reach a flag or hill within  a month. Or do you wish a flag or hill for each region? In that case most regions only have 1 or 2 small aliances with a big chance 1 is stronger then the other and there's no fun in battling eachother. 
I really do hope you can make an interesting tournament for small alliances, but I doubt it will be as much fun as a tournament for everyone. I believe the tournament with the undead had different leagues. Maybe a server wide tournament with a division for small, medium and large alliance could be an option?

That sounds good to me but it may well increase the admin overhead a fair bit...

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 18:17
That is why I am more in favor of a growth or discovery tournament but I still like the idea of have a military aspect in the tournament. It is true that some small alliances would stand less of a chance in military. However they would gain military experience, so even if they don't win they will benefit.

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 00:44
The idea behind the capture the flag style tournament would be for alliances to put into teams with other alliances and work together. This should increase the geographical spread of each side, prevent smaller alliances from just being wiped out by larger alliances in the tourney, and not present too much of an overhead beyond the initial setting up and balancing of teams. 

I'd probably do something similar with a war of walls style situation. 

I'd arrange for each team to have around 5 flags... and probably do 2-4 teams depending on the number of alliances involved and their size. 

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 18:40
I appreciate your efforts Eowan and you can count us in if you really manage to set up something, but I'm a little sceptic on how it will turn out. I hope you can prove me wrong.

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2018 at 11:47
IGMs to decide the type of tournament that this will start with are going out now. 

If you are the leader of a small alliance and have not been IGMed about it but would like to be involved, please IGM Eowan The Carrot for the full list of options.

Posted By: DadOf7Kids
Date Posted: 10 May 2018 at 23:04
Please count ICON as in.  and add me to the IGM list.  

DO7K

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net