Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Poaching Kills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Do you poach kills (outside of the noob ring)?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [47.06%]
9 [52.94%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Dungshoveleux View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dungshoveleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2018 at 21:52
Originally posted by Wartow Wartow wrote:

Originally posted by eowan the short eowan the short wrote:

Hey All,
I've noticed a general trend that people are starting to view harvesting other people's kills as acceptable and that if you want to keep your kill, you should occupy it with an army.

Poach boldly!  If someone isn't willing to put an army on it then it isn't important to them.  I tend NOT to kill poachers and I practice what I preach.  If I leave it unprotected then I fully anticipate that someone else will come in and pick it up.  How can it be theft if you won't hold claim to it?  Possession matters.

All that being said... communication is important and I wouldn't put an army on a square to harvest what I didn't kill.  This includes the Underworld forces leaving remains of each other all over the place.

+1
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 01:50

Then I'd say the cost of replacing harvesters isn't my problem when they get squished. Why communicate when a quick attack is a much faster and efficient method of ending the poaching of a kill? I've had issues in the past where people get annoyed that I've killed their skinners

I haven't worried about replacing harvesters in years.  A minor inconvenience for anyone who has played for a while.  Losing some while poaching, or harvesting from long distances, is just a known occupational hazard.   

However, I'd also like to point out that you haven't claimed sov or put armies on most of the squares around your town.... so would it therefore be totally fine for me to settle a town 5.1 squares away from you?

I believe the 10 square rule is community norm.  I do have a considerable amount of sov.  This isn't your best work Eeoworms.

As for llanedd's comment... I'd point out that in a situation where this has happened, you get 2 kinds of animal drop on the same tile. As these situations do not make up the majority of kill spots and are easily identified through scouting, I don't feel that they can really be used as a justification for poaching.

Did you just mention scouting?  I haven't scouted anything in years when I hunt.  I don't believe I ever scouted during the most recent tourney.  If I can get a party size then I know what I need to do in order to win.  Minimizing losses isn't my number one concern.  I just threw 10k spears to Audrey what is a few extra cavs lost when hunting dogs or sending them up a mountain for a prized kill?  

Or for that matter, resurrecting a commander?  I hear it is good for the complexion to get some extra rest.

My thoughts were probably different in my first year or so in the game.  A good training alliance (remember those?) can get the new player up to speed on best, or not so best, practices.
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 05:33

I haven't worried about replacing harvesters in years.  A minor inconvenience for anyone who has played for a while.  Losing some while poaching, or harvesting from long distances, is just a known occupational hazard.   

I have had people complain to me that I should've just bumped them and they've been extremely annoyed about losing some harvesters which is one of the things that prompted this poll.

I believe the 10 square rule is community norm.  I do have a considerable amount of sov.  This isn't your best work Eeoworms.

Yes, the 10 square rule is the norm, which is the point I was making. Why shouldn't someone owning their kill be the norm and not having to deal with poachers?

Did you just mention scouting?  I haven't scouted anything in years when I hunt.  I don't believe I ever scouted during the most recent tourney.  If I can get a party size then I know what I need to do in order to win.  Minimizing losses isn't my number one concern.  I just threw 10k spears to Audrey what is a few extra cavs lost when hunting dogs or sending them up a mountain for a prized kill? 

Given that a poacher hasn't even sent an army, I don't think its too much to ask for them to actually confirm that a kill belongs to no one if they're going to use the fact that npc vs npc is the occasional thing as a justification for poaching. You can send far more scout missions than you can armies so this seems like a more efficient solution to non-player caused kills.

Edited by eowan the short - 26 Jul 2018 at 05:37
This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
rajput View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rajput Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 12:44
I voted No... Frankly speaking I personally never had issue with poaching. That can be due to all my cities in close proximity and clear demarcated map on my profile. Most of the time I will hunt more than I can harvest. Lately I do 1 or 2 days of kill then a week of harvesting...

If there are important kills (like underworld) then I always send an occupying army after it. Plus there is no way to figure out whether anatomies were naturally dropped or hunted unless there is a equipment drop as well.

Having said that, like Eowan highlighted, I also have seen some questionable behaviors. As some of our alliance members are semi active, I have seen players (even senior players) harvesting and poaching on sovereign squares of our alliance members like nobody's business. There is one who even have claimed sovereignty within 5 square of a member's city to harvest. So there are people who are trying to push the limits...

Warning! Author of this post has weird sense of humor...
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 13:20
Originally posted by rajput rajput wrote:

If there are important kills (like underworld) then I always send an occupying army after it. Plus there is no way to figure out whether anatomies were naturally dropped or hunted unless there is a equipment drop as well.

Well said.

Having said that, like Eowan highlighted, I also have seen some questionable behaviors. As some of our alliance members are semi active, I have seen players (even senior players) harvesting and poaching on sovereign squares of our alliance members like nobody's business. There is one who even have claimed sovereignty within 5 square of a member's city to harvest. So there are people who are trying to push the limits...

When faced with questionable behaviors... push back.

One of my cities is now a part of the ever expanding newbie ring and I don't care that they harvest on my sov.  They need the 1k clay and I'll never harvest it.

Inactivity is a tangent that we can get into.  I'd say the level is at an all time high and would speculate that there is more than aggressive harvesting practices occurring. 
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 13:29

Plus there is no way to figure out whether anatomies were naturally dropped or hunted unless there is a equipment drop as well.

You can scout a square to see what drops are there. If there are 2 kinds of drop, there's a high chance its a natural drop. 

This is the thread that never ends, yes it goes on and on my friend. Some person started it, not knowing what it was, and we'll continue posting on it forever just because...
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 14:07
See Example Here, Notice There Are Only Hides And Rat Furs. This Is Because I Killed The Rats, Not An NPC.

Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 19:00
This topic has been debated since harvesting started. Bottom line is everyone can do what they want. I kill anything poaching my kills without bothering to even approach the offender. If I catch that person again I directly attack his or her cities with troops and diplos. My kills are very rarely poached.
Kaggen is my human half
Wartow View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wartow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 14:23
Originally posted by Gragnog Gragnog wrote:

This topic has been debated since harvesting started. Bottom line is everyone can do what they want. I kill anything poaching my kills without bothering to even approach the offender. If I catch that person again I directly attack his or her cities with troops and diplos. My kills are very rarely poached.

Which leads to another lesson... choose your neighbors carefully.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 20:21
Conservatively, you shouldn't harvest anything that you don't kill yourself. That completely avoids these sorts of problems. If you weren't strong enough to hunt that Legion, then you don't deserve the reward, even if nobody else has claimed it.

Conversely, if you killed something you find valuable, you can afford to occupy it. Imaginary scenarios like "what if I want to hunt 100 animals?" ignore the fact that people have multiple cities. I never run into situations where I need to kill dozens of separate NPCs. If you intend to harvest what you kill, then at some point your skinners are the limiting factor.

I should clarify that I consider hunting for XP to be a joke, since PvP is astronomically more efficient at generating XP. If you don't engage in PvP, then you don't really need advanced commanders anyway. It's a self-defeating argument.

Sending any harvester type over any large distance is foolish. There is a special place in the Underworld reserved for people who send troops anything they didn't personally kill. Animals do kill animals--particularly in biomes like jungle and desert--but any time you are trying to harvest something you didn't hunt yourself, you are taking a gamble and should acknowledge the possibility of loss.

On a positive note, the avenging of dead skinners is a quick, community-endorsed pretext for starting a skirmish or war.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic