Topic ClosedPersonal API Keys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Personal API Keys
    Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 22:26
Eve style. Would include total resources, resource input, city data such as population, and most importantly unit orders / units present in the city.

If people felt that was too far reaching then limited / full keys (also eve style) could be proposed as well.
Wuzzel View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 22:32
I support this idea!
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 01:51
Anyone else? Love it? Hate it?
GM ThunderCat View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 10:27
Originally posted by Larry Larry wrote:

Eve style. Would include total resources, resource input, city data such as population, and most importantly unit orders / units present in the city.

If people felt that was too far reaching then limited / full keys (also eve style) could be proposed as well.

Would this be info about your own cities?
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 10:44
Yes. And your own military / diplomatic / trade orders.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 12:38
My feeling is "yes" to this idea, but limited to only reporting items / actions after they have been resolved in the event queue - and with some delay (3 hours?) added on top.

To be specific, I'm not averse to putting lots of extra data in an API key system, such as the actual contents of a combat report so that people could (eg) write a killboard app.  But I am very much against providing data for tools outside of our control that allow people to be alerted out-of-game to events in near-realtime.

I think limited- and full- APIs are a great idea.

If someone can put together a fairly specific list of the items they'd like to see from an API perspective we can then sensibly plan with you guys which ones you think should be full-key and which ones should be limited-key.
Larry View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 15:14
City data
Population
Gold income (derivable from the above number anyway)
Current tax
Resources / hour

Units
Orders
-Destination
-unit type(s)
-departure time
-arrival time would be cool, but it wouldn't surprise me if you object
Units present in your city (cities)

With respect to the question of public vs private keys I think the point of the private key is that it is something you would give to your alliance leader for strategic purposes. Thus, it ought include all unit data, and then other publicly available data such as population and location. 
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 15:50
Arrival time would be derivable from unit types and departure time anyway.  With regard to information provided to leadership, that could just be a separate report that aggregates the alliance's accounts, made available to specified leadership positions using those individual's personal keys but with a different API call.  There's no need for everyone to have their own personal duality of authentication tokens.
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 12:21
Originally posted by HonoredMule HonoredMule wrote:

Arrival time would be derivable from unit types and departure time anyway.  With regard to information provided to leadership, that could just be a separate report that aggregates the alliance's accounts, made available to specified leadership positions using those individual's personal keys but with a different API call.  There's no need for everyone to have their own personal duality of authentication tokens.

A single key works in an alliance context, for sure.

But what if a third-party (non-alliance member) writes an app that uses a player's API key: for example a killboard that everyone (alliances and/or solo-players) could participate in?

Hence the necessity for full keys and limited keys, imo.  I don't want to put in place a multi-level system with players deciding which keys have access to which datasets - as that'll just get too confusing for everyone and will never be used.  I think players will want to be able to say "Yes, I want to participate in this killboard system; but no, I don't want the person who runs it to be able to see my building queue and units present."
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2010 at 15:15
Would the limited public stuff need to be behind a key at all?  Or would it be appropriate to broadcast indiscriminately, like the towns data?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic