Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPathfinding - how hard is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kumomoto View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 16:07
Originally posted by Createure Createure wrote:

Secondly, in medieval times would the caravan have spent 2 weeks climbing directly over mount doom and across the chasm of death, then swimming across a shark infested pond, rather that simply walking around?

What are you talking about, Creat? You know full well that we at H? always climb directly over Mount Doom (the volcanic ash has a marvelous exfoliating quality) and that treatment is always best followed by a quick dip in the fishy pond. Those cute and cuddly Carcharadons have a marvelous ability to remove dead skin (like those spas in Japan where fish nibble your feet)... ;)
Nesse View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 09:32
Creature, look at my "Example 4".
I do want pathfinding, I just don't want to wait for it to be perfect before I get it.
Thexion View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2012 at 12:40
Just to mix this convo a bit.. I'm just thinking what are important aspects for the game play in pathfinding. And how these could be simplified to creas horror.

Main reason of pathfinding is that there are impassable squares in the map. No point for boats if units can fly over water. So you need at least "find your path" through rivers and lakes pass crossings and such. 

- This is hard to simplify but if units could make rafts and move very slowly cross water if there is no alternative.. hardly a realistic or satisfying solution but if there is no bridges or ferries to some places.. also it would simplify the pathfinding.  

Second reason is that different passable square types that give different moving speed.  

-One option to simplify is that in areas of terrain speed is generalized instead of counting each square.  

Third reason of pathfinding is that the caravans and troops would be on the map also physically in some square and so could be intercepted.  

-How this could be simplified is that only units that are set to intercept in certain areas would. And only when unit is near some intercepting unit it exact location would be decided. 

Also one question is that what will happen if the path that is pre-calculated would be blocked.. Would troops return home, set a camp, try to find a alternative way on its own?

One issue is fog of war if it is introduced what does caravan know.. would it know automatically that all the bridges to certain place are blocked? And if it is trying to use the safest way how it would decide what is safest?

Anyhow I have full trust in TC:s magics and all the goodness that is going to be better than it should be and is coming soon(TM) I hope.

Edited by Thexion - 27 Jan 2012 at 13:11
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic