illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One-Year Anniversary of Alliance Land Claims

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Jejune View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jejune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 15:38
I believe that my post about this may have been deleted in a previous thread, so I've decided to post it here again and address ajq's final tirade in these forums about the supposed "dangers" of land claims. 

More than anything, ajq was a fearmonger who sought to troll the server (in more ways than one) than channeling fear in order to manipulate the truth. In his reams and reams of verbose, long-winded essays, he covered up the fact that his arguments were without merit with with attempt at persuive and misleading discourse. I intend to expose some of his mis-truths here.

ajq claimed that land claims were spreading like a virus in the broken lands, and that they would eventually destroy the game, since they would lead to a point where players would have no free lands to inhabit and would abandon the game. He may have believed that to be true, but the progression of land claims completely refutes his theory. 

Here is a time-lapsed gif of land claims over the past 12 months:

As you can see, land claims are CONTRACTING, not expanding. Last year at this time, ajq's point had more validity, since land claims were growing rapidly. In the end, however, the vast majority of BL lands are claim free, and are likely to stay that way, since after the experimentation period, it has been shown that only organized alliances can truly maintain and enforce land claims.

In terms of people being affected by land claim, The Hashashin, who has by far the strictest land claim policy, has had only EIGHT players come into our claim since April, 2015. In all cases, we were gracious and even helped people move with all the basic res they needed. MicroMe, who is one of the nicest and most universally respected players in the game, accidentally showed up in our claim. I encourage anyone who has doubts about land claims and how they are typically enforced on unsuspecting players to IGM her and ask her about how she was treated by myself and the rest of SIN through the course of us helping her relocate.

Even though the land claim map that I maintain is not official, nor does it live on the game itself, it has become quite visible and players are in fact using it to navigate the few remaining land claims, as most land claiming alliances have had similarly few land claim infractions. Perhaps someday the game developers might institute a feature to allow claims to be more visible in the game itself, but in the meantime, the user-led initiative to make them visible has sufficed.

The main problem with land claims are those who oppose them. At every step of the way, their fearmongering, hyperbole, and demagoguery has led to n00bs and other players who are unfamiliar with the meta-game to fear and loathe land claims without knowing the full story.

The evidence above should demonstrate that land claims are niche feature in Illyriad, and one that is kept in check organically by the game itself, since it takes a strong alliance with organization and will to actually maintain and enforce them.

P.S. -- I'm having trouble with all the slides in the gif, but you get the idea.

Edited by Jejune - 16 May 2016 at 15:48

Agalloch View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 15:49
Good job on your guys end, the copy cats suck at it.
abstractdream View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote abstractdream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2016 at 02:36
As one of those copy cats, I would like to offer that the former TVM was one of the "organized alliances" that attempted to "truly maintain and enforce land claims." Unfortunately for us, we weren't up to the task of going against the former SHARK. 

Maybe I'm entirely wrong and we didn't have the "stuff" to enforce the claim, but we gave it a hell of a go. In fact, though, I think SIN's performance against the formerly largest alliance in the game is somewhat more of the exception rather than the rule. 

I say all this as warning to those who think claiming land is a trifle. It is most definitely not. Choose your area carefully and be prepared to defend or die trying.

Bonfyr Verboo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic