illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Of Wolves and Sheep

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
eowan the short View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 05:47
*puts on a shirt and tie*
Always happy to help with the progress of bureaucracy. Boring sh*t is what I do best

*runs off to file some paperwork*
Tink XX View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tink XX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 18:08
Huh, players identifying with sheep - is that a thing? You're truly setting this up for the proverbial metaphor though, something about trusting wolves with security. And taxes Handshake

Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 20:00
*throws a carrot* I'm not a sheep!
Princess Botchface View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Botchface Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 04:03
There are a few people who relish using their armies or the concept that they have armies to enact control over others and I think they are a very small minority. I have a gold farm that provides millions per week in passive income and since I'm not one of those people who derives pleasure from simply controlling a bunch of randos through coercion, there's no profit in your proposal for me given the sheer amount of work it'd be. 

Props for trying to think outside the box though. <3
Lotharblack View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lotharblack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 09:03
I dont think that the Mafro's proposal has anything to do with actual desire to control people. I believe it has to do with conquest and chalenges. Since this is a game in a fantasy game it makes more sense the setting to be feudalistic system than anything else. Take example some great strategy games (Total war , Europa Universalis etc. ) You conquest lands and you exert control in order to gain more resources and be able to conquest bigger opponents. That produces conflict , struggle and chalenge which are the essential elements to keep you intersted and occupied. 
Lord Loth
Celebrant View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Celebrant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 10:40

WARNING

This game, with all your effort, can not satisfy your sexual needs.
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eowan the short Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 11:52
idk... some of the elves are pretty hot...
Mafro View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mafro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2017 at 18:55
Originally posted by Lotharblack Lotharblack wrote:

I dont think that the Mafro's proposal has anything to do with actual desire to control people. I believe it has to do with conquest and chalenges. Since this is a game in a fantasy game it makes more sense the setting to be feudalistic system than anything else.

Yeah, you got to the heart of my views. Personally, I'd love to see an area of the map where players and alliances form lord/vassal relationships. It has nothing to do with humiliating or controlling others. I just think it's a fun way to recognize a key in-game reality - that some players are militarily stronger than others - in a way that doesn't simply wipe out the weaker party and potentially drive them from the game.

To me, it would add an element of fun if we players participated in a feudal hierarchy of sorts. New players end up being approached, fought over, and ultimately protected by more powerful players: lords. As they themselves grow they may find themselves extending their protection over newer or weaker players, becoming lords themselves. Some lords may be benign protectors, earning the loyalty of those they protect...others may be harsh tyrants, seeking to wring as much gold from their vassals as possible.

Perhaps as lords gain certain numbers of vassals and subvassals we recognize them with earned titles such as Baron, Earl, Duke, or even King (as opposed to the current use of vanity titles in some names). Of course, if the devs added code to formalize feudal relationships and/or titles as an alternative to the guild/alliance system, even better...but it's not required. Simply put a line in your profile stating who your lord is, and in turn have them add a section listing their vassals.

Now some of you will hate and scoff at this idea. To you, I say this is a sandbox game and as such open to many different interpretations and a huge spectrum in terms of the styles of game play (the wolf and sheep analogy was a simplification of this spectrum). I'm personally relieved that the world-spanning Carebear Tyranny is over (thank you SIN!). I'd like to see different areas of the map experiment with different styles of game play, so that we attract and keep as many different players as possible, and offer as many different shades of fun as possible too. Unless your main source of fun is to deprive others of their own fun, why not?

That said, if there are players that think creating and participating in such a feudal system might be fun, hit me up in game...perhaps there's a little corner of the map where we could make it happen....

Best to All,

Mafro
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic