Topic ClosedNon-Response Ettiquiette

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 17:38
I send friendly mails from time to time from people who don't reply.  I don't think badly of them for it.  I assume that 1) They are too busy to respond or 2) English might not be their first language and they are not able to respond or 3) They might have accidentally deleted my message along with the 8,000 system mails they also received or 4)  I'm just not that important a person that everyone should feel obligated to respond to my mails.  I'm guessing it's usually 4.

I do try to respond to almost all mail I receive (and I get a good bit), but sometimes if I get a request for resources from someone I don't even know, I figure the most polite thing is to just ignore their faux pas.

The bottom line is, it's a game.  Worrying about whether someone has or hasn't replied to your mail seems to take some of the fun out of it.

By the way, if you are not in an alliance and your population is not growing, and I send you a "friendly" mail?  It's a REALLY good idea to respond.  Otherwise I may consider you to be a siege target.
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 17:46
Originally posted by bansisdead bansisdead wrote:

Salararius, I don't think its reasonable or unreasonable to expect a response from a mail, just good manners.  Not everyone has good manners, another point not all cultures share the same ideas of what good manners are.  So what I think is reasonable some ones else may think is totally unreasonable.   I think it would be unreasonable for me to place my own expectations on another who may come from a totally alien culture to mine.  Even very similar cultures such as the UK and the USA have totally different expectations and ideas of what is good/bad manners.

I disagree somewhat.   I get regular (several per week) spam mails from 2 day old chars with 4 pop saying (this was a real message):

"I can haz join ur alliance plz"

This is despite clear indications on my personal profile and our alliance profile that people need to read stuff first before asking to join us.

I have no qualms deleting that spam without replying - and moreover I don't consider that action to be bad manners on my part given the context.

Edited by KillerPoodle - 28 Jun 2012 at 17:46
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Quackers View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 18:12
I'm with Rill on some of her points. Normally when I don't respond I am either to busy to respond that day. Some times I prefer not to write a message when I'm sick or not feeling good because I rather wait until my head is on straight before I click send.

Its nothing to get upset about.
Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so you will not be dependent on anybody.
bansisdead View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 19:22
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

I disagree somewhat.   I get regular (several per week) spam mails

My previous, ill thought out post was slightly confusing on rereading, I stated I thought one thing then another.  Its really hot here, the heat messes with my poor little brain, apologies.

Luckily for me I get about zero unsolicited alliance requests per week...Regardless I wouldn't see not responding to a mail, when you state not to send mail, as bad manners.  As I stated (and contradicted) previously I would think it unreasonable to place my own expectations upon another, therefore I would not expect a reply, just hope for one, If my request was reasonable.

Edited by bansisdead - 28 Jun 2012 at 19:24
Salararius View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 19:56
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

The bottom line is, it's a game.  Worrying about whether someone has or hasn't replied to your mail seems to take some of the fun out of it.

Yes, it is a game.  That is both obvious and insightful :)  Part of the game is an IGM (in-game mail) system.  Everyone playing the game has email, but the developers provided a redundant IGM system because it's part of the game.  The developers also made the game fairly wide open so players have a lot of latitude determining what is "right" and what is "wrong".  According to the game created by the devs it is not wrong to siege and completely eliminate a new player.  Try doing that though...

Reading through the H? manifesto of the history of Illy I see that some players feel a lot has gone into establishing "right" and "wrong".  Bravo for them, I think that is what helps to set up genuine conflict, creates the "flavor" of the game and makes the game interesting.  Real wars have indeed been fought over things as trivial as a lack of a response to a greeting.  My question goes to determining the extent of those boundaries with regard to the game.  Saying why worry about the rules for IGM because it's just a game is a lot like saying why worry about the rules for siege because it's just a game.  Both are part of the game.  I'd say a lot more has gone into creating the IGM mechanics than the siege mechanics if that says anything...  People who don't worry about the rules usually don't last long and games that don't last long aren't much fun. :(

Having said all that.  There seems to be somewhat of a consensus that there are no rules for IGM and few boundaries.  Anything is acceptable and expectations are minimal.  It's "might makes right" (as defined by the "code of Illy") and that's an answer of sorts.

The_Dude View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 20:07

Even very similar cultures such as the UK and the USA have totally different expectations and ideas of what is good/bad manners.
 For example, an American will not extend his pinkie when drinking tea.  LOL
Llyorn Of Jaensch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 21:44
Siege 'em.

Siege 'em all.
"ouch...best of luck."
HonoredMule
geofrey View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 21:52
Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

Siege 'em.

Siege 'em all.

I sincerely believe this it the most insightful response to any post on the forums. I hope you don't mind if I use it future responses. 

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 00:56
Originally posted by geofrey geofrey wrote:

Originally posted by Llyorn Of Jaensch Llyorn Of Jaensch wrote:

Siege 'em.

Siege 'em all.

I sincerely believe this it the most insightful response to any post on the forums. I hope you don't mind if I use it future responses. 

Why limit oneself to forum responses.  I plan to apply it in game.

Starting with my arch-nemesis, the evil Ryelle.

Kumomoto will thank me.
bansisdead View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2012 at 08:42
Originally posted by The_Dude The_Dude wrote:

Even very similar cultures such as the UK and the USA have totally different expectations and ideas of what is good/bad manners.
 For example, an American will not extend his pinkie when drinking tea.  LOL

Ah but the pinky gets in the way of my Bowler Hat, tally ho.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic