illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMoved: Strategist (scout)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moved: Strategist (scout)
    Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 11:51
Here's a post I made elsewhere, which was a bit off-topic there, so I've copied in here.

If it is 'valid' to mine the game for stats that are not directly exposed, then I suggest that this ability be converted into a new scouting or military unit ("Strategist"), which goes to a square to give the standard report (just like a scout), then returns to the town to then present a comparative assessment using current armies as basis. The Strategist takes terrrain, unit types (etc) into account, and gives figures for likely losses - these should be hand-wavy estimates like "Spearmen could take very heavy losses, ...". There will be some randomness to introduce natural error.

Original post:
http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=2378&PID=27371&title=npc-difficulty-guide#27371

+
I see this proposed enhancement (if adopted) firstly as a justification that extra information could validly be gained through experience; we merely make the game a bit more fun by giving the option of automation using a new unit. It reinforces the idea that all players are created equal, and advanced analysis is not just for the mathematically-minded real-world players.

Edited by Albatross - 22 Sep 2011 at 12:01
bucky View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 11:55
nice idea.
"If you are the master be sometimes blind, if you are the servant be sometimes deaf." - R. Buckminster Fuller
Celebcalen View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 18:26
It certainly is very interesting but doesn't it take away some of the essential decision making that should really be done by a player. Choosing the right kind of troops according to the bioeme, topography etc is the true test of an Illyriad player when in conflict. I don't think that s/he should be able to rely on an AI assessment at all.

Let the scout gather more detailed information or intel according to the parameters/mecahanics of the game but, I think that the, strategy plus the consequences of getting it right or wrong must always rest with the player.

Even so, food for thought, and I am still open to being convinced otherwise.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 20:51
Maybe include the basic info about underlying terrain in a scout report?  The stuff that appears on all the battle reports?  Sure, you can tell the terrain by looking at the square, but it would be convenient to have it in the report, and a good clue for new players.

Something to the effect of "Cav do well on open plains, but swords are gonna get munched" like in the battle reports.  Could be a good way for new players to learn about terrain differences without losing all their troops to spiders ...

/me sniffles
The Duke View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 21:33
Swords getting munched?? who in their right mind would munch on a sword?  How about - but swords will be overcomelol   ;)
"Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War. Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives."
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 22:52
I what would be interesting is a building that could give these kinds of assessments.  Then players would be choosing between more concrete benefits from other buildings or less uncertainty.  
Albatross View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 00:03
@Celebcalen: Agreed (despite my original post). I think it enables all players to do what they really want to do, and those who are interested in optimizing further can do so with their own detailed analyses. It's just like a real-life job as a manager: you either let someone else get on with it as part of their role, or you roll your sleeves up and get your hands dirty :o) At the moment we all have to get our hands dirty, but a Strategist offers the option of having someone do the basics for us.

Originally posted by Celebcalen Celebcalen wrote:

... Choosing the right kind of troops according to the bioeme, topography etc is the true test of an Illyriad player when in conflict. I don't think that s/he should be able to rely on an AI assessment at all.

This I'm not so sure about. If you think that methods of topography-related deployment should be learned through experience then I'm with you, but if this information is expected to be known then it's reasonable to have it automated. My suggestion was born from the tedium of lots of manual sum('quantity x score') calculations on data from scout reports. After the first scout report, I learned it, and didn't want to do it again.

The AI assessment would just be an opinion, which a player could trust [newbie] or take 'under advisement' [vet] --- the choice is theirs. Experienced players would recognise the nuances of the advice, and know when something wasn't quite right, either from the raw data, or the AI interpretation.

Edited by Albatross - 23 Sep 2011 at 00:05
Hugie View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 12:23
the scouts could be misled!  There would be an interesting twist
"your scouts look a little hung-over, but they report that the square is inhabited by thousands of raging giants and venomous snakes"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic