illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mistaken Identity

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Veneke View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veneke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 16:42
In general terms spying is a thoroughly deplorable practice. I've no doubt, especially with the ability to have alternate accounts, that is is rife throughout the game. I completely agree with Bonfyr - leadership of all alliances must operate under the assumption that there is a spy in the alliance. To do otherwise is utterly reckless and does a disservice to those players who join your alliance in good faith and rely upon said leadership to ensure the safety of that alliance.

I don't know the particulars of what happened here - but from what you alone have said anyone would have reason to believe that you were relaying information back to your friend in another alliance. Add to that, of all the alliances you could have found your way into the alliance you were in was SIN... it might just be poor luck. If it was, then that's really unfortunate.
"May have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds
twilights View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twilights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2015 at 16:46
gosh its a silly strategy game, but usually u wipe out spies when u catch them which i am surprised sin isnt doing...but dont relate spying in a game that has features to actually encourage it to be nothing more than fair game play..thats one reason i want sitting and alts limited only within alliance....its too easy to spy in this game and you never know who you are actually chatting to within your own alliance...weak game play i call that and the reason so many use skype and offline mailing which only discourages active play in this game...otherwords too many special clubs and few groups of power brokers controlling the game....but spying is just normal play....kill the account and be done with it!
Bimoda View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bimoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 15:29
Spying is there  whether you want to be a part of it or not.  If you are an alliance of any decent size, you will most likely have at least one spy in  your midst.   I've known of several in Fairy over the years and know of two currently.   It's part of the game.  You can choose to participate in it or not, guard against it or not.

Edited by Bimoda - 03 Aug 2015 at 15:30
Bimoda - Dragon Fairy: Illyria Fairy Nation [FAIRY]
KillerPoodle View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KillerPoodle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 15:50
A very open alliance only works if you are sure you'll never be in a war, never be fighting in a tournament and never have any information which gives you a competitive advantage over others in your game play style of choice.

My experience is that most players (even those stridently self-righteous ones that talk about how disgraceful it is) are fine with spying while it's being done to someone else and especially when they are are benefiting from it.

The mature folk accept it as part of the game, utilize it where they can, defend against it as best they can without letting it consume every waking moment and have fun burning spies when they get the opportunity.
"This is a bad idea and we shouldn't do it." - endorsement by HM

"a little name-calling is a positive thing." - Rill
Bimoda View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bimoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 15:58
Very well put KP.

Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

A very open alliance only works if you are sure you'll never be in a war, never be fighting in a tournament and never have any information which gives you a competitive advantage over others in your game play style of choice.

My experience is that most players (even those stridently self-righteous ones that talk about how disgraceful it is) are fine with spying while it's being done to someone else and especially when they are are benefiting from it.

The mature folk accept it as part of the game, utilize it where they can, defend against it as best they can without letting it consume every waking moment and have fun burning spies when they get the opportunity.
Bimoda - Dragon Fairy: Illyria Fairy Nation [FAIRY]
Diva View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 16:29
FORTUNE TELLERS GOT NOTHING ON ME!! Somewhere I predicted LC  wouldn't like someone/alliances in the LC ... and forcibly move them. Dear poster of thread... you ain't the only one recently to have this issue.

ps: If it was not an lc, more than likely you wouldn't have to move, just change alliances.. easy peasy.. instead of a timely exit or threat. Hmmmmm....

Edited by Diva - 03 Aug 2015 at 16:43
"Um diva.... you are sort of acting like a .... diva...." - PhoenixFire
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 17:52
Originally posted by KillerPoodle KillerPoodle wrote:

eCrow has yet to be in a war, but i think we've done rather well in the tournaments for our size. (Pongo disagrees, which is usually a pretty good confirmation.) an open process creates a certain osmosis of information, and i would argue that we have benefited from that structure more often than we've been damaged by it. but it is not compatible with every play style. as one appears threatening, one attracts spies.
Stukahh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Stukahh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 18:32
Diva, perhaps you should check with players like MicroMe.  We have worked out a very peaceful agreement to move a recently settled city within our LC.  She has agreed to exodus into another part of Fellandire outside our claim.  We have worked out an agreement whereby SIN has been sending her resources and supporting her work towards the lvl 20 warehouse (exodus research).  

There was no threats made.  Just two players talking and working out a mutually satisifying resolution.

With respect to King Stag.  You do not know the entire story.  SIN has a mountain of evidence that the player had close ties with Stomp members.  Of course, we will not reveal our vetting process since it would be damaging to how we screen for spies.

We reserve the right to keep potential spy accounts out.  The player has sinced moved out of Felllandire into Shark hub in Newlands ( how predictable).  Again, no attacks or sieges occurred.

Since the SIN LC came into effect not a single account has been sieged.  We have worked out all issues by diplomacy to date.

We have good relations with our neighbors in BL and plan on keeping it that way.  

Edited by Stukahh - 03 Aug 2015 at 18:34
I don't always drink. But when I do, I prefer the blood of my enemies.
Brandmeister View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 19:00
Now that's funny. I was nodding my head in agreement with Poodle.

I have strong suspicions that eCrow has been burned by spies on at least two different occasions. When we were getting systematically robbed by that recent thief, the majority of the attacks happened after someone was gone for a few days. That suggests the thief was inside eCrow and had access to our member list with time offline. The day that I announced in chat that I had screen captures of the thief was (to my knowledge) the last day eCrow got robbed.

There was also the case of the suspicious tournament hit. Ghannima launched 85000 t1 spear troops to a vulnerable square. It was lamented in our alliance chat. She was going to recall them within moments of landing, and calculated out the landing time. Messengers were on the way. But when the troops landed, they were met within seconds by cavalry that had been launched from three regions away, destroying all the troops. No token occupying army was left behind the big hit to collect tournament points. That player never launched another army at that tournament square, and neither did his alliance. That's an odd coincidence, isn't it?

Spies are distasteful, but spies happen. It's one of the few places where I see a strong ethical distinction in video games.
Halcyon View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Halcyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2015 at 19:18
SHARK does not know who King Stag is and never used him as anything, let alone a spy.
This thread has made me more aware of the importance of espionage. If there is a spy master mind out there in the vast Illy world, please contact me post haste. It seems we need to fill this position without dealy. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic