Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Make NPC Group Sizes Searchable
    Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 00:39
Now that we have the new search function, (Great job, by the way, is very handy to be able to find the Misted Lands without a bookmark.) maybe there is some game information that could be accessible by search that would be helpful.

Specifically, I don't have all the NPC group sizes memorized.  I have a general idea about which ones are bigger, but I can't remember whether a throng has 800 and a host has 1200 or whether a host is bigger ...

Anyway, several players have a helpful table on their profiles to look this up, so now I search for one of those players when I forget how many rats are in a host.  But it would be cool to be able to just search for "host" or "throng" or even "NPC size table" and have it pull up the right page.

Maybe not a super-high priority thing, but if it would be fairly easy to do, I think it would enhance the game experience for many.
Sisren View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 00:50
Are other bits of information like this searchable?
If the precedent is set, then there you have it.
Personally, I think the groups should have to be diplo'd before engaging- but that's just me.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 01:09
If you search "Combat" you get "External page -- combat file," which I think is a link to the forum.  So at least some things like this are searchable.  I guess they just have to decide which ones it makes sense to add and which ones don't.

As for having to diplo groups before engaging, I sometimes send blind without even knowing the general size designation.  If it's wild dogs, it's very unlikely to be greater than a throng.  A lot of it is different playstyles, and I personally don't think there's a "right" way.  Some folks (Innoble springs to mind) will carefully scout every NPC and send exactly the right number of troops to defeat it.  Other folks (such as myself) will just send an army willy-nilly and hope their commanders don't end up dead.  I see big advantages in Innoble's approach, but I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much as he does.
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2012 at 01:18
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

there is some game information that could be accessible by search that would be helpful.
  • Alliance ticker symbols, please.  When I want to get to [zzy] pages quickly, but forgot that the full name is xyzzy, then the sort feature on the alliance pages does not always help.
  • For towns with the same name (22 Avalon, etc.) some additional disambiguation (player name or region) would be nice.
  • The search input field is often hidden by an opened advanced resource production list.  Scrolling down is one way to get at this field, but then the quick results popup might be hidden:  The query field has a fixed position at the top of the right notification bar, but the quick results at the bottom of the top nav bar can scroll out of the browser window.  IMO the quick results should always popup below the query field.
  • There is a real results page, linked from the bottom of the quick results if there are more than three hits.  The real results page has the URL http://elgea.illyriad.co.uk/#/Home/Search?term=avalon (example).  My attempts to resurrect the old search form at the bottom of my profile sadly failed, something in the profile editor insists on replacing name="term" by name="x_x_term" in the form.
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

Specifically, I don't have all the NPC group sizes memorized.
Simple workaround for this special problem, bookmark Luna's Bestiary, it's "official".Wink
GM Luna View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster
Community Manager

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 00:37
The phrase "npc group sizes" now takes you to a page with the size listing.

Luna
GM Luna | Illyriad Community Manager | community@illyriad.co.uk

Rorgash View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 01:05
we have a search function? 

i only seem to be missing the player search function...

Edit, i found it.. hidden under my adv res bar... first time seeing it..

Edited by Rorgash - 12 Jul 2012 at 01:08
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 01:08
It's on the rankings page now.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2012 at 03:40