Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMain: Underworld Activity Detected At The Rift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Main: Underworld Activity Detected At The Rift
    Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 21:47

WARNING:  This is NOT a post from the developers – simply a fan with time to kill.

Underworld Activity Detected At The Rift

After months of silence, the Circle of Five has announced the results of a highly secretive expedition to The Rift.  “What expedition?” asked King Sugurd as he was presented with the results.  “I have not been informed of any such expedition.”  It would seem that the entire Council of Illyria has been kept in the dark regarding the Circle of Five’s recent undisclosed endeavors.  Although a bit unorthodox, the Order of Allembine has asked their Chief Historian, Brother Amyris, to review The Circle’s findings before any official release is made. 

“This is truly amazing!”  Amyris noted.  “There seems to be an ancient passage which lies directly at the base of The Rift.  Had it not been for the Circle of five’s meddling... er, I mean their deep interest and concern in this matter which involves the safety and security of all Elgea, then I am quite certain this would have remained dormant for the remainder of time.  Only the oldest of tales mention the underworld and its dark secrets.”

According to Amyris’ findings, this ancient passage poses no immediate threat to the people of Elgea.  Still, Amyris has requested more time so that he may search the oldest known scrolls in the library at the monastery of Qi Quien and see if some of the more obscure glyphs and markings can be interpreted.  “Without further research on the matter,”Amyris stressed, “going down there would be both unsafe and unwise.”

On my way out, Brother Ambrosius, Chief Cartographer of the Order of Allembine, informed me that expeditions are already underway to begin mapping and exploring what lies below.  “The last reported undead attacks were months ago,” Ambrosius remarked. “What harm could there be in having a little look around?” 

“Explorers!” exclaimed King Sigurd, “This is both unprecedented and absurd!  I will not risk the safety of anyone on such a fool-hearted journey.  Those who wish to explore may go of their own accord, but I will have no part of it.”

The Circle of Five has refused to make any comment on the matter and further speculation could be harmful to both my career and my fingers.

SunStorm – Intern Reporter for The Herald

---

How cool would that be if we could send cities down to an underworld (using exodus and going through the rift).  However, this would require path-finding first as the cities (settlers/exodus) would have to travel to the rift and then navigate past lava to set up a base.

The image above was compiled in Photoshop with all Illyriad graphics (except for the lava texture which I had to make).  Other than that, only one image (the dark red) was altered.  An underworld would be quite easy to create with existing images.

"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 21:51
I'd send Ryelle down there in a heartbeat.
Dieneces View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 22:23
Nice Job Sun Storm, would be a nice addition to the game if it happened.
Bonaparta View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 22:27
Underworld is native habitat for orcs. Where is the entrance?

Daefis View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 23:12
Loving the nether.... how do we make the portals in Illy :P

invictusa View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 02:21
The choice to "Ascend" through the mists would be cool too.  A place for the "vanilla", "my little pony" type players that seem to be so abundant in elgea, where they could congregate and chase butterflies and snuggle and ride their care-a-vans upon rainbows and such.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...as opposed to the underworld which is an epic idea, which could have harsher military mechanics and rampaging NPC behemoth's for players that are really itching for some action.
...and miles to go before I sleep.
SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 05:33
Originally posted by invictusa invictusa wrote:

...as opposed to the underworld ... which could have harsher military mechanics and rampaging NPC behemoth's for players that are really itching for some action.
(:P)  My thoughts exactly.

Sonnura View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 17:27
BEST. IDEA. EVER.
dspn23 View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 19:35
AMAZING :D

not shure if it would need pathfinding....
one square of the rift would be "the portal" and people would setle there.
once they're city arrived it would be placed in a random square on that underworld map, after waiting the 5 days you would be capable of placing it in a chesen place
(this implies that that exodus would end up a bit more expensive.... cause if the city ended up in a place with ex:0 stone plots would lose all his quaries (instead of just geting down to 12)
SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 20:50
Great thoughts dspn23!  I like it!  (^_^) - I wonder how trading between the two would work...  that would definitely need path-finding (I think).  Until then, perhaps all trading and such could be a feature to come "soon."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic