illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

lawyers of illyriad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
The Unkown View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Unkown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 00:21
Originally posted by Cardoril Cardoril wrote:

the "outrage" was because in gc noone really liked me the closest being was one person saying we needed to have full on war with the illy police the rest disliked me or just wanted to be criminals

But we don't need lawyers in ill no offence
Han Dynasty View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Han Dynasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 01:40
Originally posted by The Unkown The Unkown wrote:

Originally posted by Cardoril Cardoril wrote:

the "outrage" was because in gc noone really liked me the closest being was one person saying we needed to have full on war with the illy police the rest disliked me or just wanted to be criminals

But we don't need lawyers in ill no offence

I'm sure there are those that could use lawyers actually. How many people are charismatic, persuasive and the like? I can think of a few leaders in alliances that would benefit from having someone else do the fine writing.

I can think of a few instances where in the past I would have enjoyed someone writing down a complaint and demanding repayment (tort, lol) over some minor issue like a harvesting violation.

The official forum profile for Han Dynasty.
Solanar View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solanar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 16:02
The problem is that Cardoril was not charismatic and persuasive. His writing was also full of mistakes. Maybe *someone* could accomplish the task of lawyer in Illy, but he is not the one. Additionally, his marketing was of the "spam" type in GC, which is the main reason for my personal dislike. 
hrandjt View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hrandjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 18:10
Lawyers operate by understanding and interpreting the of laws which society chooses to impose on itself. Without codified laws or a structure in which these laws are enforced there really is no meaning to being a lawyer.

"International relations" in Illy is instead a matter of diplomatic friction where the bounds of what players can get away with is malleable and based on their military ability to impose their will on others coupled with their diplomatic capital to ensure they have backing against any who might object to their actions. This is the realm of diplomats and negotiators, which Illy has plenty of.

In my opinion there is room for third party negotiators to make things run more smoothly. I wonder though, would a newcomer be trusted in such a position and would anyone pay for such a service? I suspect that the answer to both questions is no. I think that to be trusted as a third party a person would need a certain amount of social capital, either with both parties or within the community as a whole. In my experience there are many qualifying individuals who will do it for free, and when someone is giving it away for free you're going to have a hard time selling it.

Leaving all that aside I doubt there is enough conflict in Illy for someone to make real money anyway.
ajqtrz View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajqtrz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2015 at 15:08
Personally, while having a police force in Illy might be a bit more than difficult, it could be done if the members decided they needed one and trusted anybody enough to support them when some policing needed doing.  But that's probably the basis for wars and maybe it just couldn't work without further understanding.

Along the "further understanding" would be an Illy Constitution, Illy Legislative Council, Illy Judicial Branch and so on.  In other words, to have an Illy police you have to have an Illy Government...which we don't have.

Alas, there is a need for Illy Counselors, or at least something like somebody to stand between the opposing parties facilitating their communication so that they don't go starting needless trouble.  The key to something like that is to have a group of players in some kind of alliance that doesn't go to war and is considered "sacrosanct" in that it is trusted by all to be the impartial arbiter of disputes and is left alone.  If done right it might be helpful.

Finally, I think we all know that the Illy Police are a fun group (except Fiona, who is always soooo serious!) and nobody really thinks they have the power to do anything but have fun.  Ditto, I think, for the lawyer who has so generously offered his services....LOL.

AJ
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic