FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Illyriad Gameplay FAQ

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illyriad Gameplay FAQ
    Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 18:39
FAQs

This is a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) with answers.  We'll add to this list as and when people ask questions regularly on the same topics. 

If you have a contribution to make to this FAQ, please post it in this thread.  One of the Illyriad team will have a look at it, edit it if necessary, and add it to this main FAQ post.

Best wishes,

GM Stormcrow

Edited by GM Luna - 27 Nov 2011 at 01:11
GM Stormcrow | Twitter | Facebook | G+
GM Stormcrow View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
GM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Stormcrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 18:49
RESEARCH & BUILDING

Q:  I started constructing/upgrading a building (or researching a skill) that said it would take (for example) 20 minutes, but it's now saying it won't complete for more than 20 minutes. Why is this?
A: The Research and Building queues are linear; they can only be researching or building one thing at a time.
 So when you add a second item to the queue, it will not start until the item before it has finished.

Q:  Is there any way to queue more than two buildings or researches at a time?
A: No, there can be one building being constructed and one waiting in the queue at a time. Research is the same, with one item being researched and one waiting to be researched.

Q:  Is there any way to speed up research?
A:  No, research speed cannot be increased.

Q: How can I get more research points?
A:  Upgrade your library to increase the production of research points per hour.  You can also convert books to research points in the Reading Room in your library.

Q: How can I build a storehouse?
A:  You built a storehouse during the tutorial.  It is a small, rectangular yellow building with a peaked roof. The storehouse holds the total amount of resources in your city.

Q: How can I build a warehouse?
A: Upgrade your storehouse to level 15 and study Inventory Management. A warehouse holds additional resources in your city.

Q: How do I cancel something that is already in my building or research queue?
A: You cannot cancel building or research that is already in the queue. 

CITY POPULATION & TAXES

Q: How is my city's population calculated?
A: Your city's population is equal to the amount of food consumed hourly by all the civilian workers in buildings. 

Q: How can I get more population?
A: Each building you construct or upgrade adds a certain amount of population.  A few buildings do not add any population at some levels, such as the level 1 flour mill.  The amount of population added by a building is equal to food consumption.  Each unit of population consumes one food per hour.  The amount of population a building creates is listed under "Consumption" on the building sheet, and the total production at the next level is found in the "Upgrade Further" box on that page.

Q: How are my city's taxes calculated?
A: Your citizens provide 4 Gold per population per hour at the default taxation rate of 25%. Changing the tax rate can provide up to 75% extra gold, at the expense of productivity, and lowering the tax rate can provide up to 25% extra productivity at the expense of taxation.

RESOURCES

Q. What are those pulsing piles of resources on the map, and how do I gather them?
A. They are abandoned resources that are available to claim. To gather them, click on the resource and choose "harvest resources" to send your caravans. For more info about harvesting read here or check out this guide.

Q:  How can I get more resources?
A: Upgrade resource fields to increase resource production.  You can also claim free resources for your daily bonus by mousing over the world map (tree) button and clicking on the H button in the top left corner, then clicking "Claim daily bonus."  You can increase production of specific resources by 20% by spending prestige (mouse over the crown button).  Production of a particular resource can be increased by casting a Geomancy spell.

Q:  What happens if I produce or receive more resources than I can store?
A:  Any resources that are produced by the city or brought back to the city by caravans or returning armies in excess of total available storage disappear.  

Q: What does it mean when I get a mail saying my caravan was interrupted?  Or when my caravans interrupted another caravan?
A: When two players send caravans to harvest at the same resource, the second caravan to arrive will interrupt or "bump" the caravan of the first player.  The first player's caravan will return to his/her town with the amount of resources that had been harvested up to the point of being interrupted.  The second player's caravans will then begin gathering the resource and will stay until it is full, until the available resource is exhausted, or until it is bumped by another caravan.

Q: Is there any limit to gold, research points or mana?
A: Gold, research points and mana are not subject to storage limitations.  You can accumulate unlimited amounts of these resources.

QUESTS

Q:  How do I get quests?
A:  After you have completed your Tavern and researched Trade Contacts, mouse over the world map (tree) button and click on the Quests (list) button at the bottom.  You will need barrels of beer to accept a quest.

MAGIC

Q:  How many spells can I cast at a time?
A:  Only one spell from each spell school can be cast on a particular city at a time.  For example, one could cast a Mark of Fear OR a Mark of Slaying OR a Mark of Seeking, since all of these spells are from the Runes spell school.  However, you can cast multiple spells of the same school from one city at a time.  For example, you can cast geomancy spells on the cities of several of your friends, as long as those cities do not already have a geomancy spell active.

PRESTIGE

Q: Can I use prestige to speed up incoming caravans from other players?
A: Yes.

TRADE

Q:  How can I get more than 5 caravans?
A: Upgrade your marketplace to level 5 and study Bartering in the Trade portion of the research tree.  Continue to upgrade your market and study additional subjects in that research line to achieve a maximum of 70 caravans per city.  Research in the Improved Loading line of the research tree to increase caravan carrying capacity.

RACES

Q: What are the differences between the races?
A:  Races differ in resource plot distribution and in the statistics of their diplomatic and military units. Each race begins with a total of 25 plots.  Humans begin with 5 of each resource plot.  Elves begin with 5 of each plot except 7 wood and 3 clay.  Dwarves begin with 5 of each plot except 7 stone and 3 iron. Orcs begin with 5 of each plot except 7 clay and 3 wood.  Each race has the same basic types of diplomatic and military unit, but each unit has a different name and characteristics depending on race.  Each race has a "specialized" military unit that is substantially stronger than other races' unit of the same type.  The specialized units are human cavalry, elven bows, dwarven infantry (swords) and orc spears.  Elves have a 5% bonus to magic.

DIPLOMACY

Q: What can thieves steal?
A: Basic (t1) thieves can steal anything beginning with a "b":  basic resources (including food), beer and books.  Advanced thieves can steal anything but siege blocks, cattle or horses; they cannot steal anything gathered by a cotter, herbalist, miner or skinner, nor anything crafted from these harvested items.

This FAQ is a work in progress. Huge thanks to Rill, Fluffy and Manannan for their contributions to this list.

Edited by GM Rikoo - 18 Dec 2014 at 02:18
GM Stormcrow | Twitter | Facebook | G+
Tallone View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tallone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 22:01
I am just starting out and have nothing to trade but would like to harvest resources. How do I order a caravan to travel to a particular square and pick up what is there?
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunnoob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 23:10
Originally posted by Tallone Tallone wrote:

How do I order a caravan to travel to a particular square and pick up what is there?

Follow the two links given under Resources in the FAQ. Wink
Tallone View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tallone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 23:17
Upps! fell at the first hurdle.
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gossip Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2013 at 10:41
Originally posted by GM Stormcrow GM Stormcrow wrote:

Q: How are my city's taxes calculated?
A: Your citizens provide 4 Gold per population per hour at the default taxation rate of 25%. Changing the tax rate can provide up to 75% extra gold, at the expense of productivity, and lowering the tax rate can provide up to 25% extra productivity at the expense of taxation.

Each citizen provides 1 gold/hr at the 25% tax rate and 4 gold/hr at 100% tax rate.
Damn, I really want those lazy citizens to pay more tax.
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove
slickvik01 View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickvik01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 19:43
I have a big question. Is there a maximum for  the number of cities you can have?
GM Rikoo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Community & PR Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Rikoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 19:45
This thread will help: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/23feb15-beyond-10-cities_topic6175.html

Rikoo

Illyriad Community Manager / Public Relations / community@illyriad.co.uk
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2015 at 07:27
Getting more than 9 cities is difficult; while up to 42 cities is theoretically possible, no one has more than about 25-26 at this time.  According to people who are doing it, 30 is probably about the maximum one could reasonably achieve.  (Prove me wrong and post!)
Yitshak View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yitshak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2017 at 18:18
When is it day / night in illy ? 

There are icons for season and moon phase, a date and time display but when is sun up / sun down ?

The reason I ask is [@=132] - midnight armour and [@c=137] sun burnished armour have very good stats in the night/day but poor the other way round. 

I know this probably isn't a frequently asked question - in fact I can't find it anywhere else, but it is a question and I hope it's in the right place

Edited by Yitshak - 01 Feb 2017 at 18:21
Remember to be nice to the squirrel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic