Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I am curious about what YOU think.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Should we be allowed more accounts per player?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
169 [48.15%]
14 [3.99%]
87 [24.79%]
70 [19.94%]
7 [1.99%]
4 [1.14%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am curious about what YOU think.
    Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 16:26
Hi everyone.

For some time now it has been on my mind about the way accounts are played in Illyriad. It seems everyone is happy, but underneath the surface, if you scratch around a bit, there are lots of mysterious things going on.

First I'd like to point out that these are my thoughts and my thoughts alone. The topic I want to bring up in this poll/thread is about account allowance per player. I want to see how many people would get involved, in voicing their opinions and which way the general attitude leans. 

This thread is not about permasat accounts or the way that system works. It is about how many accounts YOU as a player think is worth having/investing in and what your thoughts are in that regard. Is it even possible to maintain that much? And if it is possible, is it the way you want it to be?

We all know, this is a long-term game and each player needs a good base to develop their empire and wealth. There are different ways to go about doing this though, and these days we can spend money on the game in form of prestige, sell that prestige for gold, which then increases our in-game wealth.

The server we all play on is now 8 years old. A lot of time has passed, players have left, some for good and others have come back. One thing hasn't changed though. The debate about this issue.
The way we veterans have looked at this has been with understanding and a little bit of a forced hand. If that player does it, then it's probably the way to go and I am "forced" to do what he/she does, to be able to compete at the level he/she is competing at.

I'm interested in getting a debate going about this. And not just the usual shouting at the devs to fix this or that. Think about the impact it will have (and already has). Think about the future players joining us. They would have to work harder to achieve what the veterans already have, but if you think about the server being 8 years old, that race is already over.

Personally, I want to play many more years because I enjoy it so much and have already invested time and money into Illy because it's entertaining and good fun. My point of view is that something needs to happen. Please give us your thoughts and put your vote in the Poll.

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Telios View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Telios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 16:34
Only 1 account and no account sitting would be my preference but that's never going to happen...
Gragnog View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gragnog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 16:44
So few players it makes sense to allow for more accounts even if its just for appearances. It would also be fun to try out the dwarf and orc race. It would also give players to play different roles. I would like to have the chance at a quest account and a trading account. At present I have just military accounts and even if I went peaceful there are too many old enemies to allow me the luxury of following those paths.
Kaggen is my human half
DeliciousJosh View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciousJosh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 16:48
Originally posted by Telios Telios wrote:

Only 1 account and no account sitting would be my preference but that's never going to happen...

So your vote is an "Other" vote?

It's an interesting idea. Maybe for an upcoming server, it would be better. Removing the allowance of an account from 2 to 1 now is a bit hard.

PublicRelations
HumanResources
Tensmoor View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tensmoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 16:59
I haven't voted yet as I need to spend some time thinking about this...the questions posed by Josh need careful contemplation.

I tend to play a peacable style with only one main account and alts that I normally keep at only one town not in an alliance which is used mainly for testing how DurcTools works for those with only one town (ie newbies). These alts get abandoned fairly often leaving a target for those who want a town with a fair amount of research done.
King Sigerius View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Sigerius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 21:30
I like how it's 2 accounts right now, but if you have 2 accounts it's harder to terraform.  Honestly though if I could go back in time and change it I'd want only one account per player. If i could change it now I'd open a new server make this one as many accounts as you want and link them somehow so others could see who owns who and the new one only one account per player.
Ten Kulch View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ten Kulch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 22:47
I think Illyriad was better when the playing field was more level. Going to 11+ cities really opened the gap between new and existing accounts. Increasing from 2 to 4+ accounts would also just favor established players from big alliances. It also unreasonably favors people who are willing to make Illyriad into a second job. What benefit does that provide to the player base? I don't see any virtue to unhealthy obsession, any more than I see virtue in pay-to-win. Hours spent will just replace real money as the currency of power, both at the expense of skill.

Permasats already make gold and supplies nearly unlimited for certain players and alliances. Cities and entire accounts become fully disposable. The slow speed of battles already makes victory correspondingly slow to achieve. Increasing the number of cities per account has slowed that further. Raising the number of legal accounts would guarantee that wars last forever, and the same account collectors always win tournaments.

One main, one alt. That formula has worked for eight years. That's the way it should stay.
Check out my blog, Warmongering in Illyriad for self-defense techniques, military city construction, and PvP strategies.
Eros View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2018 at 23:07
Is it broken?

Not everyone is into the phallus waving I R MILITARY GENIUS bit, it's good to be able to explore the game in other ways with a second account
Mr. Ubiquitous Feral View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ubiquitous Feral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 03:09
I voted other. If any change is made I vote for a 'different?' type of account which would be used for terraforming. This account would have only needed research available and would self destruct after 2 weeks. This gives the player 1 week to make the terra and another to sell it and then the towns poof. Allow 1 or 2 but no more. I don't want more playable accounts for the same reason Ten Kulch states.
I am a Machine.
kodabear View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Astronomer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kodabear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2018 at 09:00
i love how somehow 142 people votes in this poll
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic