Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Hiding" Cities
    Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 05:14
It has been suggested elsewhere that we should not know the locations of other players' cities.

I see this as being possible in several ways:

1)  You can only see the locations of cities of "friends" (a new use for the friends function)

2)  You could only see the locations of cities of people in your alliance and/or confeds

3)  You cannot see the location of cities other than your own

Under all of these proposals, presumably other players' cities would still be visible on the world map; not sure how the strategic map should reflect alliance cities.

Personally, I would not enjoy this at all.  Looking around the map for other players' cities for whatever reason is not something I find fun.

Am wondering what others think.
Quackers View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 05:38
Do not see this possible with the new search option, database look up, the way market place works, and how devs want to keep conflict here. Be a lot of work to hide the cities from other players. Is the amount of work for this worth it?

Just to many things against this idea to see it as something that can be quickly done. Its not as easy as hiding it from the player profile.

To truly hide all this buy orders on market will need caravans to be sent from the city that buys them, and then when it gets there it needs to pick the gold and deliver it back (trade version 2 hopefully). But you can still tell where a city is located just by following the caravan. You will need to use the friends list as Rill suggested. Only player capitals will have to be seen, but this will stop players from giving out free res to new players second cities. Leaving it up to only friends/alliance mates to do so.

I don't know, just seems like to much work with not a real advantage.

Edited by Quackers - 17 Jun 2012 at 05:40
SunStorm View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 05:50
I once asked Stormcrow for a research/spell which would hide your city unless someone sends scouts and they report back your location...  To quote him:  *waives hand* "These are not the spells you are looking for"
"Side? I am on nobody's side because nobody is on my side" ~LoTR

Quackers View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 05:56
Originally posted by SunStorm SunStorm wrote:

I once asked Stormcrow for a research/spell which would hide your city unless someone sends scouts and they report back your location...  To quote him:  *waives hand* "These are not the spells you are looking for"

That idea would be so cool lol, just wish I was more awake to understand what Stormcrow meant. Any ideas Sun?
Ander View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 07:48
Maybe he meant the spells you should look for are more thrilling than "not allowing others to see your city"?
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 08:49
Maybe he meant the spells are already in the game but we can't see them ...

/me also believes in aliens
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 10:00
Teleport into the Misted Lands?
Granlik View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 11:11

A good investigative reporter will always find a person, city or story whatever the attempt to hide.

The problem is paying his expensives.

Editor,

Illyriad Free Press.

Darkwords View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 12:36
I disagree with the idea of just blocking details on people's cities, the spell idea is fun however I have a different idea to propose.

How about if upon reaching a lvl 20 consulate you could research a tech which would allow you to settle your next city with a false identity, therefor to anyone that clicked on it it would appear like an unalligned city from a new account.  This could enable a tactic for people to creep into hostile territory.

Obviously this would not be much use to developed accounts as you would be unlikely to be settling a new city, so perhaps you could also use it with exodus.  However I would say that if the city is successfully spied upon its real owner should be revealed and the false identity lost.

Perhaps this would be a bit too much of a headache to programme though.
Gilthoniel View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2012 at 13:29

Personally I like to see the current status and location of all cities and do not support the idea of "friends only "  mainly because I am not sure what Rill means by "friends". I would like the differentation between alliance members and others to remain but would also like seperate colour coding for NAP and Confed cities.

However the idea of introducing a spell that can either camouflage or  hide a city  for a limited period perhaps dependent on the availability of gold or mana to be able to maintain the spell is a good one and opens up allsorts of possibilties.

....So who wants to disguise their city as the Heart of Corruption? Any takers...?  Clown

Edited by Gilthoniel - 17 Jun 2012 at 13:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic