Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelping New Players

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 23:20
As boring as it might be in general chat, posting links to the "new player tips" forum thread here is very helpful.  Maybe also post links to the "harvesting guide"; it is relevant for complete beginners.

When you send basic resources that is very nice, but remember "that pooor eelvv" (buried in clay):  Complete beginners cannot yet store 3000 or more of basic resources.  Any discussions of level 20 this or 15K of that tend to be frustrating while you still desperately try to get the missing 200 clay for a vault level 2 Smile    
Champopo View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 17:22

1)  What was the best "help" you received as a new player?  "Help" can be advice, information, resources, encouragement, armies sent in your defense ... whatever.

As I write this I am just 3 days into the game ... so anyway I guess the best help would be a combination of the unending generosity of veteran players and the advice they would give.  For me it felt like there are others who want to help you asap so that you could build up and defend yourself versus large players once out of protection. The free resources, in a way, gave me peace of mind that maybe I'd have a chance and wouldn't be rolled over by someone large once out of protection.  (Several games - evony, warflow, and others - have this as a big issue.)

2)  What "help" do you wish you had received?

In my 3 days I received a lot of advice and resources including books, horses, cows, and beer.  I would say that this is more than enough.

3)  If you are in a position to help new players, how do you do so, and why do you choose those ways?

I would send them resources to help them quickly stand on their own feet.

4)  If you are reluctant to help new players or do not offer specific types of help, why do you feel those types of "help" should be avoided?

Sorry just 3 days in-game I still can't really give an answer to this yet.  I would just assume though that people who constantly nag for gifts would not really appeal well to people in global chat.

5)  What can newer players do (or not do) to encourage the community to help them specifically and newer players in general?

One is to be respectful and polite.  Two is to participate more in global chat to show that one is really interested in the game.  I would like to think larger players would be more inclined to help new guys who show interest in the intricacies of this game rather than those who do not.

Just my 2cents worth :D

Marquesta View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 05:27
I don't spend a lot of time in the forums, so incidentally, I just found this...
Good questions, I'll throw in my two cents.

1)  What was the best "help" you received as a new player?  "Help" can be advice, information, resources, encouragement, armies sent in your defense ... whatever.
Mostly resources and encouragement. The Mariner was my first contact in GC, and I was invited to join ITG, where he and Warrrg Boss took me under their wings to tease and train Wink

2)  What "help" do you wish you had received?
I can't imagine what else the could have done, short of sitting my account and doing it for me. But, when it came time for me to stand on my own two elven legs, that's what I was made to do, and I appreciate that.

3)  If you are in a position to help new players, how do you do so, and why do you choose those ways?
I am an officer in ITG, where I write short guides that mostly pertain to being in a training alliance. I also spend a great deal of time in AC answering questions and sending out resources to our members. I also share these guides with SMA where my alt is a member. I also watch GC for Rill's famous "New players sometimes find this guide useful" tag line and go looking for the newb in order to send a care package. I choose this way because I believe it is the best I can do for new players.

4)  If you are reluctant to help new players or do not offer specific types of help, why do you feel those types of "help" should be avoided?
Being a training alliance aggression is not tolerated in our members toward other players. When we have new players that haven't gotten their storehouses up to even a level 5, for instance, but are asking for arms and armor, alarms go off. A training alliance is geared toward new players who concentrate on building up their cities and getting research out of the way so when they move out into a more permanent alliance, they will be more able to afford an army and have the knowledge of how to use it. Coming into Illy with guns blazing is a quick way to draw a lot of negative attention.

5)  What can newer players do (or not do) to encourage the community to help them specifically and newer players in general?
Don't pop into GC demanding resources, especially if you already belong to an alliance. The magic word goes a long way! Please and a hardy Thank You! is what we all want to hear after sending resources. Be respectful of veteran players and take their advice seriously, if they say 'you don't want to be doing that', you probably don't want to be doing that.

~~Marquesta
Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them...
Southern Dwarf View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:50
Originally posted by Rill Rill wrote:

1)  What was the best "help" you received as a new player?  "Help" can be advice, information, resources, encouragement, armies sent in your defense ... whatever.

Moving out of the newb ring and to Larn as well as receiving a bit of help in form of vans.
2)  What "help" do you wish you had received?

Perhaps more ress would have been nice but I frequently denied more help out of stupid pride. It took me forever to build up that way.
3)  If you are in a position to help new players, how do you do so, and why do you choose those ways?

I send 3500 of the base ress(2000 of food), 2500 Gold as well as horses and books. New players not longer under newb protection receive more. Usually I will cast empowered spells as well but I think that is more for my magic rank. Alliance and friendly players may get help more than once.
4)  If you are reluctant to help new players or do not offer specific types of help, why do you feel those types of "help" should be avoided?

Weapons and armor may lead new players to build armies which will cripple their progress so I avoid sending them.
5)  What can newer players do (or not do) to encourage the community to help them specifically and newer players in general?

Be friendly, never beg or spam.
Also known as Afaslizo ingame.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic