Topic ClosedGuide to Exodus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Dew View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:27
Originally posted by Jane DarkMagic Jane DarkMagic wrote:

I feel fairly confident that you can have active research, just no active building.

I am about 98% certain that research isn't hampered. I just moved my town of Esquire and dEw using exodus. as Esquire is my smallest town i can't imagine not noticing this restriction as i am doing many time consuming researches at the moment. this brings up one other point. i am pretty sure that i had both towns simultaneously in motion for a short period of time. this of course could be a glitch or one of my towns could have settled moments before i sent my second town on its way. i do recall that sovereignty 5 was scheduled to balance fairly close to when dew was scheduled to arrive. 
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:38
Originally posted by Cerex Flikex Cerex Flikex wrote:

I will be using Exodus very shortly on my Capital. I'll be queueing the research tomorrow. After the 5 days I will be back after my test with my results.
If you have less than 12 commander skills researched maybe queue a skill after exodus.  Then you could check Jane's observation, and if it does not work (active research => no exodus) you'd lose only 40 minutes.  I'll try it also in some days in a captured town. 

Updated: Okay, Dew confirmed it, active research is no problem.Cool

Edited by dunnoob - 27 May 2012 at 10:41
Anjire View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 11:52
"All the spells you have cast from this town and those cast on your town 
will be cancelled."

While technically this is the way Exodus is supposed to work per the spell  description, In my many Exodus moves it was almost random if I lost a spell cast by the city itself.  I had geomancy, rune and blights remain at the rate of at least one school surviving a move per town. 
Dew View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 14:06
Originally posted by Anjire Anjire wrote:

"All the spells you have cast from this town and those cast on your town 
will be cancelled."

While technically this is the way Exodus is supposed to work per the spell  description, In my many Exodus moves it was almost random if I lost a spell cast by the city itself.  I had geomancy, rune and blights remain at the rate of at least one school surviving a move per town. 

true i noticed my geomancy spells ended in both town, even though the one in esquire was cast by an outside town. in my smaller town Esquire the mage tower wasn't over lvl 12 and its defensive rune remained intact. in my larger town dEw my lvl 20 mage tower's rune got canceled and needed to be recast. this leads me to guess that defensive spells are based on your mage tower changing level. note that there was not a cool down timer on the rune spell from dEw. again this could be a glitch or occur at random. 
Cerex Flikex View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 19:54
Well again, the point about spells being cancelled was taken from the devs post. If the information is inaccurate, I'd like to remedy this. Perhaps there is a glitch, or it got changed.
Badmuts View Drop Down
New Poster
New Poster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 21:44
Originally posted by dunnoob dunnoob wrote:

Yes, it is possible to do, I did it last week. However, I had the feeling that the research didn't continue during the move. It should have been finished when the city landed, but it wasn't. So it seems that when you exodus the research queue is halted and when the city lands it continues researching. Maybe Dew can confirm this.

One point missing from the guide is what happens with your units when your buildings level down. If you have a level 20 market and 70 vans, you will keep the vans after the exodus. You cannot build new ones when you loose some vans if the market is still level 12. This is because of the building requirements for building a certain number of vans. 
The same holds for t2 cavalry, you will keep the units you already have build, but after the exodus you cannot build new ones with level 12 barracks. You don't have to research warhorse again, but even with that research done you still need at least a level 15 barrack. Probably the same hold for diplo units that require a consolate level higher than 12.
Quackers View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 22:12
Originally posted by Badmuts Badmuts wrote:

Originally posted by dunnoob dunnoob wrote:

Yes, it is possible to do, I did it last week. However, I had the feeling that the research didn't continue during the move. It should have been finished when the city landed, but it wasn't. So it seems that when you exodus the research queue is halted and when the city lands it continues researching. Maybe Dew can confirm this.

One point missing from the guide is what happens with your units when your buildings level down. If you have a level 20 market and 70 vans, you will keep the vans after the exodus. You cannot build new ones when you loose some vans if the market is still level 12. This is because of the building requirements for building a certain number of vans. 
The same holds for t2 cavalry, you will keep the units you already have build, but after the exodus you cannot build new ones with level 12 barracks. You don't have to research warhorse again, but even with that research done you still need at least a level 15 barrack. Probably the same hold for diplo units that require a consolate level higher than 12.

Yep that is all true. I have used exodus about 7 or 9 times now. Got to use exodus a couple more times as well. There is alot to exodus, some maybe glitchs other may be features the developers put in to help shape things. For one, when you use exodus, depending on the town, the underline terrain will get switched to a new one. Like Lonely Peak to Landscape or Wooded Glaze to Large Hill. If you can put up with the 5 day wait, you can easily change the land around you, just be careful not to get stuck if someone moves within 10 squares of you, then you wont be able to move to your spot. : /

But yes research does not continue when your new town is moving. Like Researching Estate Management (5 day) on a 13 day move, finding out that Estate Management is not finished yet when your city lands.
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 22:16
It says in the devs' Exodus post that research is suspended while the city is moving.  Experience confirms that this aspect of the post is accurate.  (Unlike some of the spell mechanics.)
Cerex Flikex View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 00:33
Note: I've now updated the guide.

- Research is now edited to say it will be paused during the move.
- Thank you section updated.
- Added section regarding troops.

Further editing may be needed. Again my thanks goes to all of you here.
dunnoob View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 11:33
Originally posted by Badmuts Badmuts wrote:

If you have a level 20 market and 70 vans, you will keep the vans after the exodus. You cannot build new ones when you loose some vans if the market is still level 12. This is because of the building requirements for building a certain number of vans. 
Interesting, in a captured city reduced to pop 80 I could build 55 vans as soon as a market place level 1 existed again. 

The city used to be bigger before I sieged it, some research including whatever allows 55 vans was done.  OTOH I couldn't build diplomatic units without the corresponding levels of the consulate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic