Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grandpa... tell us about the war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 06:36
Wow.  What a condescending load of crap.

First of all, omitting alliance names doesn't really mean anything if you're just going to specifically identify them all anyway.  And more convenient secret alliances that you're going to use to justify your actions after the fact.  Fun.

In the spirit of trying to get this thread back on track, I'll give an outline of how I came to be in this war.  Honored, I know you've spent a long time cultivating that impressive ego of yours, so you might not want to read this.  Consider yourself warned.

It had nothing to do with Harmless?.  

I spend my early alliance life in an alliance called the Order of Consequence.  It would eventually collapse due to internal drama, and mostly migrate to Amicitia, which would dissolve for much the same reason, with a dose of inactivity thrown in.  Still, I made a lot of friends in these alliances, and many Amicitia members ended up in either House of Plantagenet(PLAN), where I ended up, or in Insane Knight(BANE). 

BANE was(and is) an innovative alliance in many ways, but mainly in that they are a mercenary alliance, they fought for gold.  This had at the time always been contained to assistance in clearing inactives and tournaments, basically professionalization of the activities even the most peaceful alliance engages in.  Unfortunately for BANE, this was Heresy(tm).  Night Crusaders would strike at them under cover of a tournament, using a pretext so weak as to be farcical.    

Would I make myself a Heretic(tm)?  Was I already?  These where my friends that had just been attacked, and I knew may of them had a lot in common with me.  

The second concern growing in my thoughts was the Darkstar Dominion.  The largest militant bloc in the game, they where a force expanding in influence and belligerence every day.  The Dominion threw their weight around in ways Consone and Crows would never have imagined, eventually culminating in an unproved attack by one of their member alliances on my own alliance, PLAN.  Backed up with the threat of attack by the Dominion and H?, should anyone come to our assistance.  Of course we knew our allies wouldn't be any match for such powers, and asked them all to stay out.  I know it may sound like I'm trying to make us look noble and selfless here, I assure you that isn't the case.  The math would simply never have worked in our favor.  So we took some damage, fought as best we could, and eventually made a barely tolerable peace with our attackers so they could prepare to fight their new war.  That would be the current one.  

NC, it turned out, had found a few more Heretics(tm) than they could handle, and the Dominion was dutifully riding in to bail them out.  I think it goes without saying at this point I would have preferred to see them lose, but more to the point, could I stand to see them win?  To come out of another war with even more arrogance and aggression, and even less to hold them in check?  

No.

And that is the story of how I found myself in the first non-neutral alliance of my Illyrian life, with Eagle's Eyrie(Who're great!), at war with Harmless? only by virtue of their deliberate decision to aid these factions who embodied all they claimed to oppose.  So maybe, when you're trying to figure out how you got here, don't look at the people who wouldn't support you, look at who you continued to support.  

HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HonoredMule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 16:49
I'm sorry you feel that way Aurordan.  I am willing and able to believe that you speak earnestly and openly based on the information and perspective available to you.  Apparently the same courtesy cannot be extended to me, and I'm just being sanctimonious.

Harmless's position as mediator gave us a lot of detailed background on NC's conflicts and if we were misled by NC spinning fanciful tales, it was very masterfully done.  Of all the leaders in Harmless, my absence since the Consone war made me the only one with practicaly no ties to NC.  At the onset of my involvement I was very skeptical of their position, yet they managed to convince me their blame was limited, and then demonstrated willingness to make amends and change where the blame was theirs.  But it is not my position to expose the details which were shared in confidence.

So all I can really offer you is this: both parties which were actually involved in that conflict were willing and ready to end it peacefully.  It was someone like you, acting with an attitude like yours, which prevented that from happening.

And it worked out brilliantly for someone who couldn't have directly cared less about the whole thing.  Some day you're going to realize you were used by someone who no longer has need of you, and I don't think you'll be too happy about that either.
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
Aurordan View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster
Player Council - Ambassador

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 19:18
You're not just being sanctimonious, and I'm sure a lot of it really is how you feel, but but you do seem to believe that this whole war revolves around your alliance and that everyone on the other side is either jealous of you or in it for the sake of destruction, somehow.  

And clearly, all parties weren't willing to end it peacefully.  As for the indiscernible future, thank you for your concern, but I think I'll keep my eyes on the threats in front of me.  Seeing daggers in every shadow usually ends up even worse than not looking at all.  

Anyway, storytelling thread.  We've told ours.  Let's let someone else have a turn.  
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gossip Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 20:15
H? has done nothing wrong.Period.
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove
Deranzin View Drop Down
Postmaster
Postmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deranzin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 23:08
Originally posted by Aurordan Aurordan wrote:

You're not just being sanctimonious, and I'm sure a lot of it really is how you feel, but but you do seem to believe that this whole war revolves around your alliance and that everyone on the other side is either jealous of you or in it for the sake of destruction, somehow. 

Because it is so unreasonable in a game for other people to want to take the number one place from someone that has held it for many years, eh .?. Tongue

I respect your views overall, but this particular point is just not making any sense ...
Artefore View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior
Player Council - Biographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Artefore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 23:21
~The Siege of Coriallum as Told by Artefore~ 
Although the battle I recount here is told from my perspective, the real credit for our (semi) victory goes to the entire alliance of T-O and Praetor Augustus especially, as the city was his, and his contributions were instrumental in ensuring the battle's outcome.

The siege was rather late into our foray in the war, and despite this, our western armies had seen relatively little action on the field of battle. We had launched a couple of sieges at NAAM, however none of them had very much success. My own troops hadn't seen a single offensive battle in the west, as they were primarily stalwarts, and their use as city clearers was limited due to the attack avoiding tactics used by NAAM. 

None the less, Praetor Augustus informed us one day in Alliance Chat that a number of vCrow troops were approaching his settlement. Thinking quickly, he demolished most of his city in order to give the besiegers a smaller storming population. This would prove to be a wise decision. As the attackers piled onto the two mountains outside his city, it became clearer and clearer that this was a large and well coordinated military operation on the part of vCrow. As soon as things had settled down, it became evident that direct military force would be insufficient to drive both the vCrow sieges from their mountains. An alternate strategy of defense was devised, in which the city was reinforced with enough troops to defeat the inevitable storm attempt. Furthermore, the siege on the mountain to the west was broken, and Simple Jim settled a city on the square to shield PA's city from other vCrow operations on the defensively favorable terrain. Days went by with neither side budging from their post. PA's city idled at 0 pop, and vCrow, who had scouted the city to asses its defenses, knew better than to attempt a storm. 

The second part of the siege began when vCrow sent a large amount of attacks (over 60) at the city in an attempt to dislodge the defensive force there. Since we didn't have the firepower to maintain the defense in the onslaught of their attacks, a new tactic was devised. We broke all the blockades around the city, and every night an alliance-wide aid effort was conducted, which involved sending millions of basic resources to the city in order to help it rebuild to above storming population. The city hovered around 2k and 5k pop per night, managing to just stay above the mark, and PA slowly rebuilt up his forces in the city and dodged the attacks. In the mean time, we decided to begin picking at the defenses on the mountain. The main force we sent consisted of approximately 80k stalwarts and crossbowmen sent by me. Although I did not receive a battle report for these attacks, I estimate I killed off about the same number of troops that I lost. Any blockades sent at the city were immediately killed off, and the siege continued to fail to drop the city past storming population. 

In the end, the siege lasted the entire 15 days that it had been sent for, and while we didn't kill it off, neither did we lose the city. In the end PA exodused it, due to its location next to two mountains. Thus, it cannot be counted as a forced exo by vCrow as the exo occurred after the siege was over.

Edited by Artefore - 30 Oct 2014 at 06:14
"don't quote me on that" -Artefore
Rill View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Geographer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 23:24
That was an epic battle on both sides.  Well done T-O and vCrow!
Gossip Boy View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gossip Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2014 at 23:28
Great tale artefore.
Respect.
Elessar2
[08:34]<Rill> when you've just had part of your brain taken out, you lack a certain amount of credibility
<KillerPoodle> I can say anything I like and it is impossible to prove or disprove
BellusRex View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellusRex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 01:02
Originally posted by Deranzin Deranzin wrote:

Because it is so unreasonable in a game for other people to want to take the number one place from someone that has held it for many years, eh .?. Tongue

I respect your views overall, but this particular point is just not making any sense ...

"Held" as in past tense. And yes, it's perfectly reasonable to want H? removed from control without seeking that control yourself.
"War is the father of all things..."
HATHALDIR View Drop Down
Forum Warrior
Forum Warrior

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HATHALDIR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2014 at 02:14
For my initial post in this thread (and i reckon i will need to make quite a few), i am going to talk about the start of the Trove war.
The Eagles were invited to join Consone shortly before its existence was announced to Illy. We thought that it was a great idea to be a part of a group of alliances that would solve the great illy mysteries. Very quickly all Consone seemed to be doing was sorting out territorial issues, and pardon me for saying this, our least military minded members, ROADS and Dwarven Druids were the biggest culprits. In our very loosely worded charter ( thoeretical more than concreted) mutual defence was written down.
For about two months before hostilities broke out i was being constantly warned it was not safe to stay in Consone by Executive Chef, a former Eagle. I couldn't come at dropping out of Consone knowing what i did. It instead double my resolve to make it work.
What ended up was a few H? people swapping alliances and clashing with ABSA. Soon VIC was drawn in and i recieved a mail reminding me what we stood for. So mutual defence was important and we declared war on H?
More to follow after copious rebuttal!
There's worse blokes than me!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic