Play Now Login Create Account
illyriad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grandpa... tell us about the war

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 02:38
I totally agree with Brandmeister that my Archduke Ferdinand-analogue was a bit stretched, but my intention was to indicate that we are talking about wars both sides wanted. I also firmly believe that the current war would not have happened except for the previous one. The peace conditions may have been fair, but the ideological issues were not resolved.

I think much good information is coming out of this thread. I do not doubt that old alliances have a number of accounts sat for a very long time, but I do not see that as necessarily bad. I personally know of at least one account which has been sat for the better part of a year before the owner got enough RL breathing room to come back and take control again. Besides, only people totally living their life in the game will be able to effectively sit more than a couple of accounts. 

Even without having many "permasat" accounts, an old alliance will have huge stockpiles inherited from players who have left. With safe storage in hubs, this is possibly enough to keep fighting for months.

My impressions from the market is that the war has increased regional differences. People at war may not have the time to shop around or having stuff shipped over half the map. This is good for those of us who have invested in many traders, and could open for more arbitrage deals.

Another thing is that I believe you have to use untold amounts of Prestige if you commit all out to a major war. That is, obviously, very beneficial to everybody. As long as Illy has income, they will be able to improve it.

I both hope and believe Brandmeister is wrong about Illy becoming like other games. From what I can see, only those who want to take part in the current war (or stick with their friends) are involved in it. This kind of split is good for everybody. Elgea will have a crisis if everybody choose the same style, whether it be peaceful or warlike.

Edited by Miklabjarnir - 18 Feb 2014 at 02:43
Angrim View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 06:03
Originally posted by Miklabjarnir Miklabjarnir wrote:

I totally agree with Brandmeister that my Archduke Ferdinand-analogue was a bit stretched, but my intention was to indicate that we are talking about wars both sides wanted.
i have no war stories to add to the thread, but i know enough about the events leading up to the war to say that there is no single cause, that alliances even on the same side have different reasons for participating, and that not all alliances involved (and certainly not all players) wanted war.

this thread will be much more fun if we can keep the speculations about causes and motives out of it. thanks to Miklabjarnir, Nokigon, Elmindra and The Duke for their respective tales. if anyone has a disagreement with something said by another player, let him tell his own tale to set things right.
Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Nokigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 10:56
Thank you, Elmindra. That fills in a couple of gaps I had. EE handled themselves very well there, but I don't regret the first siege. We may have lost a lot of infantry, but it was on good terrain-buildings- and it was to defend an extremely active and fast growing player. 

I have quite a few more stories that I could tell you all. I think that I'll talk to you about the best of the enemy players that we fought. 

When we started the war, I had a shortlist of the players who I wanted to target in our local region. Top of this list was Taelin, and we narrowly failed to siege his city Sinde. We did at least damage it badly, and indeed it never regained the same level of population. The other person whom we were interested in neutralising was sevenonefour.

Earlier, we had tried to attack sevenonefour to take out his armies. When we did this, we discovered something annoying. He just doesn't sleep. Whenever we attacked him, he would simply dodge our attacks, no matter what time of day we were sending them at, and hit us back. As such, we decided that we ought to siege his city. We had excellent coordination on this particular siege. We had enough reinforcements to handle what we knew vCrow had in the immediate vicinity, and we were confident we could pull this siege off.

But when the troops arrived, one of my more inexperienced people hit siege instead of occupy. A second before Sabre Wulf's siege arrived, another siege with no catapults turned up. You can imagine my frustration. We never actually returned to siege 714, as Bane had joined the war by this point which made sieges in our local area untenable. However, our direct siege attacks still pretty much levelled the town.This, as it turned out, annoyed sevenonefour. He then went on a bit of a rampage.

He targetted Carl Zeis and Vertigo. Using direct siege attack, he levelled four cities belonging to Vertigo and two belonging to Carl Zeis. Having done this, he turned his attention onto sieges. BANE had previously tried and failed to siege Aemonn's fifth city, but 714 tried again and, this time, succeeded. We hit back hard at his capital with a wave of direct siege attacks, almost levelling the entire city, but this didn't stop him from continuing to fight hard. He was the sender of the siege against Sergito's Siparia. In this siege, Sergito had some 12k T2 spears. He dodged an attack from Hyo, and in the time when his troops were moving 714 hit raze, and succeeded. Presumably, the phalanxes were left in the ether.

Take this as a shout out to a great player. 714 did not have the largest armies I have ever encountered, but he uses them better than anyone else I have ever seen. Now I'm not at war with him and I'm not obliged to dislike him... kudos!
geofrey View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geofrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2014 at 14:37
I was originally the leader of a small merry band of Lords and Ladies that called themselves Affirmative Action. We were originally stationed in Keshalia but had relocated many settlements to Southern Zanpur. We have made friends with neighbors in Keshalia and Zanpur that included several Consone alliances, as well as The Colony before the days of the DarkStar Dominion. 

When it became apparent that Harmless? had orchestrated a large scale attempt to dismantle Consone, I became concerned for my friends. Doubtly so when Kale Weathers agreed to put The Colony on Harmless's side. 

Affirmative Action was not part of Consone, but we had a vested interest in keeping a friendly presence around us. As a result we began contributing to Consone military efforts to prevent loss of cities. As history will tell us, this did not go well. 

My alliance's initial surrender during the Great Trove War. 

http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/aa-bsh-conflict_topic4646_page1.html?KW=affirmative+action

Inbetween The Great trove War and the current War, I agreed to a proposal set forth by Boru to merge Affirmative Action and ViCX. This new VICX created a consolidated geographical powerhouse in the southeastern hemisphere. 

And then the current war began. 

Edited by geofrey - 18 Feb 2014 at 15:18

John Louis View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Louis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 14:48
Some of you may find this relevant and/or interesting: http://forum.illyriad.co.uk/a-short-treatise-on-the-early-history-of-illyriad_topic5454.html
Wolfgangvondi View Drop Down
Wordsmith
Wordsmith

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgangvondi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 16:29
Great stuff from Nokigon and Elmindra. No boring crapy talk. Just warriors shareing ther storys in the field. Realy great. plz give us more.

I was one of the Vcrows in the  Taelin siege city defence. lost basicaly all defence troops i still had left. Anyway, i think The city was too close to a certain Vcrow Orc (not me by the way) that quicky was able to deploy massive amounts of defence, making life for the attaker's very hard.

more story's plz : )

Praetor Nistiner View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Praetor Nistiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 19:42
It`s  good to read all these stories without people insulting each other... very nice Clap
Miklabjarnir View Drop Down
Greenhorn
Greenhorn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miklabjarnir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 19:45
Originally posted by Angrim Angrim wrote:

... i have no war stories to add to the thread, but i know enough about the events leading up to the war to say that there is no single cause, that alliances even on the same side have different reasons for participating, and that not all alliances involved (and certainly not all players) wanted war.

That is true, but there will always be some who are exceptions without that invalidating the overall picture.
In the case of the consone war, I was dragged into it because of a confederation agreement. While such agreements can provide small members of small alliances a level of security in case somebody big and scary should get nasty, they also increase the risk of being dragged into something.

While it was scary to suddenly see big, red cities all around my neighbourhood, it was also very interesting and educational to become a tiny part of the biggest war machine Elgea had seen up to then.

I never saw Illyriad as an interesting wargame, and never built much in the way of armies. I have, however, some RL experience with command control - being trained as an S-3 in the Home Guards. Anyhow, I was put in charge of the coordination of our Northern area. 

Our first action was against Quackers, who had build a new city placed to support attacks against one of ours. In an attempt to confuse us, he kept changing the name. Not very effective, since we used coordinates, but I remember the place as Bobby McGee. 

The operations were not very successful for any side. We could never muster enough strength in that area to destroy the place, and they were not able to make any inroads into our territory. The area just was not important enough to either side, and by the time we had built up enough strength to start a siege the war was over.

The most impressive action I took part in was a siege run by TVM. I received a message saying:
Subject: FW: ALLIANCE WIDE WAR ORDERS
Received: 09 Jan 2013 03:12
Original Message:

ORDERS

Our next siege on The Return will be landing on the SW square, 490/720 @ 04:36 am, Jan 16, Server Time

Boy, that was some siege! I sent my few small defensive armies in the area to defend the siege, and received combat reports showing that numerous big attacks on it were shrugged off with minimal losses. 

Shortly after the announced time a hundred armies from a dozen alliances had joined the defense of the siege. My armies of a couple thousand were among the smallest, many were ten times that strength. Some were really big. I know bigger sieges have happened in other places, but this was a really impressive show. Timing and coordination was perfect. The combat reports were many pages long. Unfortunately, I did not make an external copy and the IGM-system auto-deleted them.

The city disappeared before I even had time to recall my armies. Luckily, no enemies were around to hit the stragglers.

I still do not think warfare in Illyriad is very interesting, but on the operational level it makes up for a lot of tactical crudeness and lack of real strategically important resources and chokepoints. It reminds me of long nights in the staff tent sending and receiving orders and reading the situation map, so I suppose it suits people who can use a lot of time on the game.

Nokigon View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General
Player Council - Historian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nokigon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2014 at 20:45
Originally posted by Wolfgangvondi Wolfgangvondi wrote:

I was one of the Vcrows in the  Taelin siege city defence. lost basicaly all defence troops i still had left. Anyway, i think The city was too close to a certain Vcrow Orc (not me by the way) that quicky was able to deploy massive amounts of defence, making life for the attaker's very hard.

Was that the siege of Sinde?
HonoredMule View Drop Down
Postmaster General
Postmaster General

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HonoredMule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2014 at 00:44
Confederations do carry an inherent risk of getting alliances dragged into wars for the wrong reasons, but much of it can be mitigated with careful drafting of terms.  Harmless went to great lengths to ensure that neither we nor our allies would be pulled into the wrong side of an unjust war in the name of honor.

http://arcanum-illyria.com/wiki/Elgea:Harmless/Treaties

I actually wrote up these terms myself, and am quite proud of them - they have held up admirably.  They couldn't be used to get us out of the current war, but nor should they even if it proves our downfall.  You have to stand for something, else you're worth nothing.

My story is a bit political, but those are the stories a politician has.  To make this less personal, I'll avoid the use of enemy names and other specifics.  Before Harmless entered the war, NC was already entrenched in a conflict.  They were our allies, but they were fighting with alliances of comparable size over conflicts that did not directly involve us.  As per our treaty, they did not request our aid in a fight they could handle and in which they were not clearly the victims.  But then larger alliances started dogpiling onto NC (some honoring treaties, others just because they wanted to or had old unrelated grudges) and their prospects for mere survival became dim, let alone victory.  Now they did request our help, which we gave...first as mediators.

The number of forces threatening to get involved against NC was rapidly escalating to a scale that would bring in absolutely everyone on our side and ensure there would be no winners no matter the outcome.  Furthermore, we (supposedly) had allies on both sides of the conflict.  At this point, we believed the only tie our false ally had to the other side was through loose confederation between supposedly peaceful alliances - we would later learn they their supposed ire had more to do with positioning themselves to break an alliance they no longer wanted, and very little to do with that treaty.  But for now, we did our best to act in good faith toward both our allies despite increasingly belligerent complaints from the least-involved party in the whole affair (so far).

Both sides had grievances, and some of them were legitimate, again for both sides - we could not have taken either side militarily with complete confidence that we were acting honorably.  Luckily, both sides of the original conflict were also willing to negotiate.  Apologies were made, promises offered, and we stood on the doorstep of peace.  But the larger alliances siding against NC - notably those with no legitimate grievances against NC but a bigger plan that had more to do with Harmless - did not want peace.  In particular, our large false ally on the other side specifically wanted the war to continue and for Harmless to be drawn into it, and had solicited the aid of alliances which had surrendered in the previous war.  As far as I'm able to determine without speculating on deeper motives, the (new) leader of this alliance had become convinced that Harmless had adopted a policy of destroying whatever alliance was number 2 and that we'd be coming for him next, despite our ties and ironclad reputation for fair dealing with all past and present allies.  Any appearance of such should also be weighed against how alliances tended to act specifically toward us when they gained the number 2 position, but I digress.  An influential leader stepped in to curtail the negotiations and snatched diplomatic defeat from the jaws of victory.

All this had taken quite some time and still more large alliances were tearing into NC - their situation was dire.  At this point any question of honor or obligation on Harmless's part was quite far removed from the equation.  NC had negotiated in good faith and tried to reach peace, but that option had been removed by the other side.  We still wanted to avoid a world war, and so we sought out some way to take the pressure off NC without the ultimate escalation.  One of the alliances declaring against NC had no personal stake in the current conflict and furthermore had been involved in the Consone war against us.  The terms of their surrender in that war had included a clause stating they could not engage in any hostile activity against Harmless or any of our allies for 6 months, or the agreement would be void.  As luck would have it, they were still just inside that window.  We used this technicality to declare on just them, hoping that this would satisfy our supposedly conflicted false ally and perhaps even convince them of our unwillingness to turn them into enemies.

But of course it wouldn't, since this ally was actually orchestrating the whole conflict which at this point would normally have been resolved peacefully even had half the major supporting alliances on their side not existed.  Our tightrope act ended in vain, and shortly after this everyone even remotely involved declared on us and all our allies - alongside quite a few forces that were not involved at all.  From that point, we've faced an overwhelming enemy filled with (as far as I can measure) equal parts false allies who betrayed us and/or were deceived into turning against us, past enemies seeking revenge, and completely neutral forces just joining in for the carnage and profit, with one possible exception in the form of a small alliance which voiced grievance over Harmless previously declining to forge an alliance with them.

And looking back at the whole sordid affair, I rather think that last tiny detail - the alliance so deeply offended that we politely declined their overtures (though to hear them tell it we'd insulted their dead mother) - is the strangest of all.  But that is the sort of capriciousness by which a leading alliance is judged.  Beware positions of power, for when in one, there is no mark too small to be counted against you.

Edited by HonoredMule - 21 Feb 2014 at 00:54
"Apparently, quoting me is a 'thing' now."
- HonoredMule
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic